• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 27, 2021

    I'm a software engineer looking for beginners to pair program on algorithms in Python learn programming

    I'm a software engineer looking for beginners to pair program on algorithms in Python learn programming


    I'm a software engineer looking for beginners to pair program on algorithms in Python

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 04:49 AM PST

    Edit: I'm completely booked! 42 sessions in the next week. If you'd like to know when I'm doing more sessions, send me your email.

    Hi everyone, I'm a software engineer with fiveish years of experience. I'm working on leveling up my algorithm skills, and I'm looking for beginner programmers to pair program with in Strong Style. You'll be typing the code, but I'll be "writing" the code by giving instructions. The instructions will be as high level as possible, but if there's something you don't understand we'll just drop down to very detailed.

    Beginners welcome! The minimum amount of knowledge for us to be productive will just be having done one Python book/tutorial/course. If you can follow the instructions "Make a list of 1, 2, 3 and save it to x", then you're good. More experience is welcome, of course.

    Why am I doing this? I'm one of those rare breed of extrovert software engineers. I get more energy from interacting with other people and that's kinda hard to do while studying. I also think it will help beginners and I like doing that.

    If this sounds cool, book something on my Calendly. Or, I'll be happy to answer any questions.

    submitted by /u/TravisJungroth
    [link] [comments]

    We can be pen pals to report to each other every day what we did for being better at coding.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 08:35 PM PST

    I(21M) study cs and am in my second year. Sometimes I find it difficult to motivate myself to learn and finish my classes. From time to time I spend my day doing totally nothing when I am exhausted from doing my assignments and then I came up with an idea of finding a pen pal who motivate me and whom I can motivate.

    If I every day or every other day have to report somebody what I learned, then I would feel very embarrassed when I do nothing but surf the net (This pushes me to study). Moreover, reciprocally you will have to account for every day you don't learn.

    Every day we can explain to each other in 20 to 50 words what we learned today.(I will read with pleasure what you will write me) For example:

    "What I learned today are;

    - Shift register - first and second form of serial adder, universal shift register

    - Ripple counter - counters with D and T flip-flops with negative edge

    - Synchronous counter - 4-bit synchronous binary counters, 4-bit up-down counters, 4-bit binary counter with parallel load

    These three topics very helped me grasp the concept of memory."

    submitted by /u/grinsebear
    [link] [comments]

    Can't grasp C++ at all

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 06:03 PM PST

    I'm a university student in my final year of studying Electronics Engineering, which includes a software design module in which C++ is the focus. I have no idea how I managed to pass the module last year, but this year I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and I have to do an extremely important assignment tomorrow. I can't even tell you what the assignment is about because I'm not even sure what the objective is. Nothing makes sense - the notes, YouTube videos, looking up terms, StackOverflow, nothing. I'm afraid of failing the class but I simply can't grasp it. Any suggestions on what to do to understand C++ are welcome because I'm really close to just giving up on it. And yes, before you ask, I've tried actually doing it. I still can't.

    submitted by /u/mrhoppy_
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a career in web development at 38 - dumb idea?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 08:32 AM PST

    Being 38 years of age. Having no programming background or CS degree but have a high motivation to learn web development, should i bother at all in the current climate?

    I started learning web development since a few months and really like it but wonder if it will be worth my effort since things are changing so much.

    On top of that is there a real possibility of the landscape changing so much either trough AI, machine learning, or technology changing in general really fast that it's not worth starting a new career in web dev at 38?

    submitted by /u/NakedPenguin777
    [link] [comments]

    Question about web development in 1998-2000 era and what tools were used

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 04:38 PM PST

    Im learning a lot about web development using tech like python, php, mySQL , javascript etc; and there is so much debate about which tech stack to use for whatever project you have in mind. Even with all the resources available , websites are quite slow to load and get reddit-ed with a large influx of users from a viral post.

    How did the internal machinery of website like ebay, amazon , yahoo! look like in 1999 which allowed it to be quite dynamic and fully functioning without any cloud or crazy frameworks of today? Was everything php? How did they scale their websites to global audiences? im interested in learning that because it seems like many development tools for learning programming take care of so much for you that you dont really know how things are working under the surface.. or maybe im dumb

    submitted by /u/oudattar
    [link] [comments]

    I found a boot camp that says I can learn AI with no coding experience in 2 months. Is it bullshit?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 03:42 PM PST

    10 hours a week study. $1k cost

    submitted by /u/Iliketodriveboobs
    [link] [comments]

    Best Freelancing Language - Go or Python and Which Focus

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 07:57 PM PST

    First off hopefully this topic is okay here. I was going to post in /r/learnpython but I wanted to get a take on Go as well.

    I know python fairly well and go I'm mediocre with and still learning.

    If one wanted to start doing freelance work and had these two options which might be better? Python seems to be really saturated with everyone learning it now. Last time I checked around on a freelance site it seemed like most people wanted a webscraper service.

    Because I suffer from major imposter syndrome (who doesn't) I want to really focus one aspect for a month or so to get fairly good at it but I'm not sure which direction to go. Python and webscraping is an example of what I mean by language and a focus.

    Go I've never looked into freelancing so I'm not sure what major topics people look for there. I feel like I might be able to stand out here more as the pool might be a little less saturated than python.

    Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/space_wiener
    [link] [comments]

    Which API should I use for making a crypto trading bot?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 10:02 PM PST

    I want to make a crypto trading bot using python. I plan for it to be pretty simple, nothing too fancy. I was curious about which API I should use. If any of you have any ideas, I'd really love to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/dwight12345
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for advice

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 09:58 PM PST

    I have completed python full-stack course two months ago.It was total of three months course.I couldn't attend so many classes in first month due to giving my laptop to service centre. They told me it will take a month to get spare parts.It was at the time of lock down and there was no other option.When I got my laptop back the course was in halfway.I couldn't follow the classes. I got recordings of classes from other student but that time the course was coming to an end.I was passively attending the later classes.After the last day of class our instructor told us to create some project and upload it on GitHub.Our instructor told me to create a movie streaming website.But i have no idea to get it to work.I thought i'll use Django as backend and Angular as frontend. When i asked in some other forum they told me that using an API i can use angular as frontend. I watched so many video,web tutorials but still don't understand a thing.They will provide a placement and many students got the job.Now i feel like i have wasted my money.I have interest but i feel like this field is not for me.

    submitted by /u/SceneCandid
    [link] [comments]

    A web app that takes a YouTube video as input and outputs a level to a video game based off of audio?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 08:58 PM PST

    Is this something that's possible? for example putting a song and then outputting a level to a rhythm-like game?

    Especially as a web app that anyone can visit and play with?

    submitted by /u/Okmanl
    [link] [comments]

    From a computer engineer in the military to my programming journey

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:42 AM PST

    A little backstory from me:

    I joined the military when I was around 20 because college was boring me and I was not quite sure with what I wanted to do while I was there. That being said, when I applied to join the military, I didn't quite know what I field I wanted to specialize in either. I told my recruiter to sign me up for any job which had skills transferrable to the real world, and because I scored high on the ASVAB, he suggested a technical field, a telephone/computer systems engineer.

    Fast forward to a year ago, I came back to New York City as a civilian, unsure of what to do now. Should I go back to college? Plans were being made to continue my college path, but then the infamous pandemic struck, and I was thrown off course. With me at home having nothing to do, I decided to make a hobby out of pursuing things that interested me, and one of those was software engineering.

    I guess quarantine was a blessing in disguise. I was able to spend some time contributing to this open source project called Dashport. This is the first kind of serious project I have worked on and I would love if anyone could give me some feedback. I am really excited about how this project turned out and what we were able to accomplish.

    I'm thankful of the reddit coding community and all the resources that are provided, and for others that have been so helpful in my programming journey. I'm amazed at how far I've come. A year ago I didn't imagine myself being in this position, and here I am! I'm excited to see where this journey takes me, and I can't wait to see where I will be a year from today.

    submitted by /u/Ed_SEWAA
    [link] [comments]

    Coding a chrome extension as a way to start?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 03:37 PM PST

    Hi there,

    First of all, I have absolutely 0.0 experience in coding but always wished i could code.

    I read the FAQ and it was mentioned, that a small real life problem would be a good way to start.

    My Plan/wish: Im on a clickworker platform where some tasks are, to search for a website, look for different things and note them. After that, copy them in the submission form and submit it. DONE. I noticed, that these tasks are very repetitive, so its common to do the same tasks over and over (u get 10 - 25ct per task). A friend of mine and me noticed that and we started writing the tasks and their "solutions" down in a .txt file so we can easily c n p them.

    The result: I want do code a Chrome extension / program (idk whats suited best for my problem) which automatically accepts these tasks and automatically fills in the suiting submission based on the Title of the task and the saved solution in our "Database" (txt file). My goal with this is, that it should be able to work in the background while doing something else.

    Question: Is that an achievable poject for a complete newbie?

    If so: Do you guys have any advice on what I need to learn to achieve that?

    Thank yall in advance ✌

    submitted by /u/OhNoMyShmoe
    [link] [comments]

    Cannot seem to find what the $ is for in C#? (Please ignore commended out questions)

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 02:34 PM PST

    Here is a code sample:

     private void CreateTempFolder(string name) { if (Directory.Exists("D:\\")) { string pathName = $"D:\\{name}"; Directory.CreateDirectory(pathName); tempPath = pathName; //Question: how does the {name} on line 54 know how to write what? Or is it a window prompt? // Also what is the $ sign before the quotes } else { //Question: what is this {name} ? What does it do? // A: // *** this would fail if D did not exist. *** string pathName = $"D:\\{name}"; Directory.CreateDirectory(pathName); tempPath = pathName; } } 
    submitted by /u/Zephyr1884
    [link] [comments]

    I feel like doing something else than learning is a waste of time, but I’m also afraid I’m motivation.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 06:33 AM PST

    Hi everyone,

    I'm currently a CS student, and I spend my whole days working. I'm learning remotely due to covid so my room became my office.

    Now, if I spend my weekend playing videos games or going out, I feel like I'm losing time I could spend learning harder or further. But I'm also exhausted of working 24/7 but I'm never satisfied with my skills and what I can do.

    Does any of you had this same problem ? How can I solve it ? Should I take more time to take of myself like playing videogames, going out... ?

    I'm afraid I'm losing motivation even though I really want to achieve my programming goals. I feel like I'm stuck.

    Thanks for reading, have a great day !

    submitted by /u/NotRealTurbine
    [link] [comments]

    Code Review

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 08:04 PM PST

    Hey! I'm kind of a beginner to Python, and am working on a simple project. I'm struggling with the looping structure; can I get some help with this code?

    test = [] block = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20] set = [2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 18, 20] start = 0 while start < len(set): set_start = set[start] list = block[set_start:set_start + 4] start1 = 0 while start1 < len(list): list1 = list[start1:start1 + 2] if len(list2) > 2 : test.append("stop") else: start1 = start1 + 1 else: start = start + 1 

    submitted by /u/Due_Draw8541
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get rid of this weird feeling when programming.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:39 PM PST

    Whenever I program, especially after I finish a component of my project, I always get this weird feeling such as despite me completing a portion of my project(large or small), I always feel as if I am still absolutely clueless and have no idea what I am doing. After finishing, I always get the feeling that I am just going to forget everything I just did right after I finish it because it took me so long to figure out a solution. The same feeling also happens whenever I try to learn another language, with me feeling that I am just going to suddenly forget the language I already learned. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with me?

    submitted by /u/GoshDarnz
    [link] [comments]

    A few questions...

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:34 PM PST

    Hi currently taking my first course in java at college and I had some questions about resources

    1)how relevant is head first java now? I have a copy but I've heard it's severely outdated

    2)is jetbrains academy a useful resource for practice and further learning(is it worth the price)

    Thanks for any help😀!!

    submitted by /u/condorthe2nd
    [link] [comments]

    3rd day on The Odin Project. What I’ve learned so far

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:20 PM PST

    What I've learned so far:

    • The basics of command line • The basics of Git • The basics of HTML

    I'm excited to learn more.

    submitted by /u/cirstine-
    [link] [comments]

    What does metaclass mean ? Specifically in python.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:17 PM PST

    I couldn't understand the metaclass. I am super new but I learn what classes mean, what super and subclasses mean but I couldn't understand what metaclass mean. What is it? Do you know a good resourse for this term?

    submitted by /u/diabolos_diyavol
    [link] [comments]

    C++ learning website needed

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:15 PM PST

    What is the best website to learn c++??

    submitted by /u/WHYsoInTeNsEd
    [link] [comments]

    Segmentation fault when working with an array (C++)

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:05 PM PST

    So I'm trying to add an array value to an integer and I'm getting a segmentation fault. This is what I'm trying to do:

    I have this reading function

    void read() { int x, y; fin >> n >> m; for (int i = 1; i <= m; i++) { fin>>x>>y; a[x][y] = a[y][x] = 1; } } 

    that reads from this file

    9 10 1 2 1 4 2 4 3 4 4 6 5 6 5 7 5 9 7 8 7 9 

    and my a[21][21] matrix that looks like this

    0 1 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 

    What I'm trying to do is read every row, count how many times 1 appears and return the number of the row that has the highest count. This is what I've done

    void function() { int nr = 0, d = 0, temp; for(int i = 1; i <= n; i++) { temp = 0; for(int j = 1; j <= n; i++) { temp += a[i][j]; //this is the line that gives me the segmentation fault } if(temp > d) { d = temp; nr = i; } } cout<<nr<<" "<<d; } 

    I just can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong

    submitted by /u/Robert150103
    [link] [comments]

    How to use python converted json code in react application

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 10:04 PM PST

    I have a project where I have data that I scraped using python. I then converted that data to JSON. I was curious about how to send that data to a javascript file, where I put it into a db to use as a part of a MERN stack? Any tips or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/dwight12345
    [link] [comments]

    stuck trying

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 06:12 PM PST

    I've been attempting to learn any programming language for years, but every time I always forget what I worked on the day before and give up. what really pushed me over the edge is I learned JavaScript and started to be fluent with it, and after taking a break for a couple months, forgot almost all of it. does anyone have any tips to remember?

    submitted by /u/lnitiaI
    [link] [comments]

    What does it mean to solve a problem "without using extra memory"?

    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 09:58 PM PST

    Have this problem:

    Find the Nth Node from the end of the linked list without using extra memory.

    What does extra memory mean, exactly? Am I allowed to declare variables? Am I allowed to declare structures (hash map, arrays)?

    What is "extra" memory?

    submitted by /u/tranderman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment