• Breaking News

    Monday, August 31, 2020

    What does "consume" an API mean? Does it simply mean "use"? learn programming

    What does "consume" an API mean? Does it simply mean "use"? learn programming


    What does "consume" an API mean? Does it simply mean "use"?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Like title. To "consume" an API, I'm just not sure what that verb means. It's the same as implement it?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/RubyJolie
    [link] [comments]

    I *might* have a full stack mentor! How to make up for it?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    I've miiiight have landed what I think is a dream come true: I found a person/company to be a mentor, he's full stack and I'll be learning from him and since I'm working API now and will be working the UI part of the project soon and since I'll be writing new endpoints to extend the API functionality as well I think I will be a full stack as well.

    Also, I'm getting paid! And to my standards, they are paying me an awful lot!

    So, I have a very good income for the next few weeks, a mentor, a project.

    I wanna be worth the investment of being kept with them.

    I've already bought a course on Node.js focused on API and server-side development and I'm digging through it a couple to three hours a day while I'm working 8 to 10 hours a day on the project itself.

    What else can I do to be worthy hire?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OdinHatesNickelback
    [link] [comments]

    Best online courses for learning React and Node.js?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 07:20 AM PDT

    I've just finished CS50 Web, which covers Django/Python quite a bit with a solid introduction to Javascript. Although, from the job averts I see many employers as for knowledge of React and Node.js as well.

    Question for you all, can anyone recommend an online course for learning these. Ideally something like CS50 Web, which was a perfect fit for my learning style.

    I found these; but before committing to them I wanted to see if anyone has any feedback.

    https://www.edx.org/course/developing-cloud-applications-with-nodejs-and-react

    https://www.coursera.org/learn/server-side-nodejs

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pjs1000
    [link] [comments]

    Database Design Question

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    I am going to be building a CRUD app for a class that one of my users teaches. The class occurs twice a year, so we typically name it with a two digit year-1 or 2. As an example, this upcoming one would be 20-2. There are five tests, with 5 pass/file requirements for each test. Typically we will have between 20 to 50 students. So my plan was to build the following:

    Class table-> pk auto, class 20-2

    Student-> pk auto, firstName, lastName, class pk

    Test1 -> student pk, pass/fail1, pass/fail2, pass/fail3, pass/fail4, pass/fail5

    Test2 -> student pk, pass/fail1, pass/fail2, pass/fail3, pass/fail4, pass/fail5

    Test 3 -> student pk, pass/fail1, pass/fail2, pass/fail3, pass/fail4, pass/fail5

    Test 4 -> student pk, pass/fail1, pass/fail2, pass/fail3, pass/fail4, pass/fail5

    Test5 -> student pk, pass/fail1, pass/fail2, pass/fail3, pass/fail4, pass/fail5

    From there the instructor can enter the classes, students and the their scores. Then they can print a report for each student on how they scored in each category for each test or print one for the whole class (or at least view it).

    Are there any issues with having just those tables? I'm just concerned there will be a lot of data after a couple of years. But I also don't think having tables for each class wouldn't be advisable either.

    submitted by /u/JerseyJunto
    [link] [comments]

    Troubles with learning programming in school.

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    So I just spent all of my junior year of somewhat learning how to write python, but my teacher never gave our class the support it needed. Pretty much what he would do is just send us away on the computers and watch a video of what to code. This didn't help me at all with learning how to code, I originally wanted to go to college to learn computer science but I honestly seem a little turned away from it. Does anyone have any pointers to try and help me get interest in it once again, I am doing another year of computer science for my senior year.(at least what I have of it)

    submitted by /u/Smokedbacon321
    [link] [comments]

    How important is it to be completely fluent with data structures and algorithms as someone looking for a junior front end role?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 08:07 PM PDT

    I ask because it's what's killing me at the moment.

    I love playing with the DOM and am interested in learning how to make API calls and play with React but I still can't wrap my head around algorithms and don't want to play with frameworks til I feel 100% comfortable.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MrM3n
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I start with this beginner project?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    I want to create a fun project for myself as a beginner. And by beginner, I mean someone who has barely scratched the surface on coding.

    The project would be a "thirst tweet" generator. You'd input your birth month, birthday, star sign, and shirt color and whatever word you enter will coincide with another word and will ultimately result in a wild sentence.

    The problem is that I have no idea where to start. I don't want a how-to-guide but rather just a simple point in the right direction. Something along the lines of, "Hey, you should use [this language] and work your way up to learning how to do [this concept] which will allow you to make a generator."

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/targaryentatas
    [link] [comments]

    Can’t build a project I have in mind, after months and months, should I quit?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    So I have a project that I am very passionate about, but after months of googling and trying I simply can't build it.

    I am trying to build a BOM app, Bill of Materials similar to Oracle BOM that integrates with various e-commerce platforms. Also called MRP, I think. I am passionate because it is something I need myself and all other options are expensive.

    Everything from database design, integrating the front end and back end, bidirectional syncing using API + Webhooks with my database.

    Switching languages because I find a tutorial that is building somewhat similar to what I want, but not really.

    All this and I still have to learn how to deploy the app. Should I just quit. How does a person build something like this?

    submitted by /u/FitnessMang
    [link] [comments]

    Failure to understand a simple for loop might mean I should stop trying to learn?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    I've been learning programming for a few days now and I got to the for loops.

    I couldn't get them, no matter how much I replayed the video, and wrote a simple loop I couldn't get it. I got pissed at the end of the day trying to learn so I grabbed a piece of paper, some colored pencils, sat down, drew a flow chart, and explained myself the entire concept in "pseudocode" colored it and then stared at it for 20 minutes until I got it. I do know how for loops work now, I might not be able to write it out yet, but at least I know how it works.

    This questioni popped up in my mind as soon as I woke up now, it took me, 3-6 hours to learn how a simple for loop works/is written, does thsi mean im stupid for programming and I should just pick my nose and sit in the corner?

    submitted by /u/Aileak
    [link] [comments]

    Question about this c code

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:56 PM PDT

    int i = 5;

    while (i >= 0) {

    printf("%d\n", i--);

    Not sure why the first number printed is 5. My thought process is since i starts as 5 and the first printf already prints i--, wouldn't that mean 4 will be the first number printed? Appreciate some help!

    submitted by /u/ranran2_
    [link] [comments]

    Algo & DS course - will one course suffice?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 06:22 PM PDT

    I'm thinking about hunkering down and studying Algo & DS this Fall. There are several go-to resources suggested (Rothgarden, Skiena, MIT 6.006, Sedgwick).

    Any one of those will cover the basics, correct? (as in, no need to do some or all of one, and then some or all of another)

    submitted by /u/ThePlum
    [link] [comments]

    What's best way to learn a new technology?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:53 PM PDT

    With school going online, im trying to optimize my learning. What learning techniques have been effective for you and why?

    submitted by /u/wolfman324
    [link] [comments]

    Any websites that test the validity of basic data structures?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Looking for a website that unit tests the code implementation of various data structures to make sure it's a valid implementation (ie. making sure a heap functions properly as a heap from end to end).Data Structures of interest include: Linked List, Doubly Linked List, Tree, Graph, Heap, etc.

    Closest I can find is hacker rank, which does this piece by piece for some data structures:https://www.hackerrank.com/challenges/insert-a-node-into-a-sorted-doubly-linked-list/problem

    Edit:
    If anyone's interested leetcode actually has something like this:
    https://leetcode.com/explore/learn/

    Another website suggestion:
    https://www.codewars.com/kata/search/my-languages?tags=Data%20Structures

    A vast majority of people recommend that you write the tests yourself though.

    submitted by /u/NoobHelpMan
    [link] [comments]

    Question about the Fibonacci sequence

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    I'm trying to understand the logic for this problem.

    function fib(n){ let arr = [0, 1]; for (let i = 2; i < n + 1; i++){ //Why does i start at 2? And why add 1 at n? arr.push(arr[i - 2] + arr[i -1]) // Why are they subtracting 2 and then 1 at i? } return arr[n] //This is returning the index? } fib(4) => 3 
    submitted by /u/CodingPleaseSaveMe
    [link] [comments]

    Favorite .NET web project?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm getting into the C# / ASP.NET world and it's great. The only problem I see is that there are a ton of things for CORE obviously since its the future but since my job is still on the .NET Framework ( no plan on upgrading anytime soon too ) I have trouble finding good tutorials or passion projects made on the .NET framework for web.

    I know that in order to learn things, you have to build and practice using what you've learned but in this case, with very few .NET MVC framework tutorials, how exactly do I even start?

    This is where I ask you guys, what have you been building with .NET and how did you get started?

    Or maybe this is the right question, are all MVC / .NET fundamentals the same? Can I learn proper MVC using core resources and translate it for work on older MVC models?

    First passion project I would like to build would definitely be to build a web budget tracker.

    submitted by /u/lethalsid
    [link] [comments]

    Is it correct to throw an exception when completing an async function?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:39 PM PDT

    Basically I was thinking about it, and when performing an async function such as background downloading, which in an MVC model will generally be performed in the model, would it be correct to throw an exception when the download is complete, and catch it to display a message?

    For example if I press a button in the view, and it starts a background download in the model, I can't have the function simply return a value when it finishes downloading, since it may not finish, it may fail etc. So I can instead have a delegate to know when I have finished the download. But what if I throw an exception whenever the download has finished(one for successful download and one for unsuccessful download), that way I can simply catch it when it gets thrown. Would that be a correct way to use an exception? I am asking this since I know exceptions are generally used for errors, and wanted to know if I should continue this way or not.

    submitted by /u/dannyjayes1
    [link] [comments]

    Did learning C make you a better programmer overall?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:28 PM PDT

    I'm currently taking a Systems Programming class in C for my CompSci degree. I've taken two intermediate classes in Python so far for reference. I always here people saying that every programmer should learn C at one point. For the people that are proficient in C, is this true? Did learning C overall make you a better programmer and how? Were there benefits you discovered after you learned C? Finally, how can I use my class time effectively to learn and retain C?

    Additional question: how is C different from C++?

    submitted by /u/wolfman324
    [link] [comments]

    In Python, why do you use two underscores before and after a variable sometimes?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    For example,

    if __name__ == "__main__":

    Main() 

    Why couldnt someone just do name instead of __name__ and same goes for main? Also I'm sorry if what I asked or terms isnt right I'm still new to python.

    Edit: I forgot about reddits formatting with underscores making things bold so it appears there is only one underscore but they're two.

    submitted by /u/Wontonlord69
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys use for creating GUI

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:15 PM PDT

    Genuinely interested in what language/frameworks you guys used lol.

    submitted by /u/codingXXX
    [link] [comments]

    best place to learn java from scratch

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 11:11 PM PDT

    completely new, have to learn it for a class (using eclipse if that's useful info)

    also: any resources specifically for eclipse? not sure if any would be more helpful just for it but if so I'd like to know

    submitted by /u/Jibbers8
    [link] [comments]

    Coding Syllabus for beginners

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    Might be a long shot but I saw someone post a link a while back but accidentally closed my app and I couldn't find the post again. Really looking to acquire as much knowledge as possible. Thanks in advance friends.

    submitted by /u/D3V3Y0US
    [link] [comments]

    Should i try to apply for a job where a Bachelor Degree is a requirement with years of experience?

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    im self taught and currently looking for a job in Data Science, but 90% of the job offers requires 65434525435 years of experience and a Bachelor or a "god tier" paper.

    submitted by /u/Zozy90
    [link] [comments]

    Free Udacity courses for mobile application development. [Beginner to Advanced]

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    [UX/Beginner/Intermediate]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/ux-design-for-mobile-developers--ud849

    https://www.udacity.com/course/mobile-design-and-usability-for-android--ud358

    https://www.udacity.com/course/material-design-for-android-developers--ud862

    [Java/Beginner]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/how-to-install-android-studio--ud808

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-basics-user-interface--ud834

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-basics-user-input--ud836

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-basics-multiscreen-apps--ud839

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-basics-networking--ud843

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-basics-data-storage--ud845

    [Kotlin/Intermediate/Advanced]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/kotlin-bootcamp-for-programmers--ud9011

    https://www.udacity.com/course/developing-android-apps-with-kotlin--ud9012

    https://www.udacity.com/course/kotlin-for-android-developers--ud888

    https://www.udacity.com/course/advanced-android-with-kotlin--ud940

    [Java/Advanced/Intermediate]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/new-android-fundamentals--ud851

    https://www.udacity.com/course/advanced-android-app-development--ud855

    https://www.udacity.com/course/gradle-for-android-and-java--ud867

    [Flutter/Intermediate]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/build-native-mobile-apps-with-flutter--ud905

    [Bonus/Intermediate/Advaced]

    https://www.udacity.com/course/firebase-analytics-android--ud354

    https://www.udacity.com/course/firebase-in-a-weekend-by-google-android--ud0352

    https://www.udacity.com/course/firebase-in-a-weekend-by-google-ios--ud0351

    https://www.udacity.com/course/firebase-analytics-ios--ud353

    https://www.udacity.com/course/intro-to-tensorflow-lite--ud190

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-interview-prep--ud241

    https://www.udacity.com/course/android-performance--ud825

    Good luck and happy coding.

    submitted by /u/paradox0007
    [link] [comments]

    python:packages are not installed Via Cmd .

    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    C:\Users\asus>pip install chatterbot

    Collecting chatterbot

    Using cached ChatterBot-1.0.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl (67 kB)

    Requirement already satisfied: pytz in c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages (from chatterbot) (2020.1)

    Collecting nltk<4.0,>=3.2

    Using cached nltk-3.5.zip (1.4 MB)

    Collecting pymongo<4.0,>=3.3

    Using cached pymongo-3.11.0-cp38-cp38-win32.whl (376 kB)

    Collecting pyyaml<5.2,>=5.1

    Using cached PyYAML-5.1.2.tar.gz (265 kB)

    Collecting sqlalchemy<1.3,>=1.2

    Using cached SQLAlchemy-1.2.19.tar.gz (5.7 MB)

    Collecting mathparse<0.2,>=0.1

    Using cached mathparse-0.1.2-py3-none-any.whl (7.2 kB)

    Collecting python-dateutil<2.8,>=2.7

    Using cached python_dateutil-2.7.5-py2.py3-none-any.whl (225 kB)

    Collecting pint>=0.8.1

    Using cached Pint-0.15-py2.py3-none-any.whl (200 kB)

    Collecting spacy<2.2,>=2.1

    Using cached spacy-2.1.9.tar.gz (30.7 MB)

    Installing build dependencies ... error

    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:

    command: 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\python.exe' 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\pip' install --ignore-installed --no-user --prefix 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay' --no-warn-script-location --no-binary :none: --only-binary :none: -i https://pypi.org/simple -- setuptools 'wheel>0.32.0,<0.33.0' Cython 'cymem>=2.0.2,<2.1.0' 'preshed>=2.0.1,<2.1.0' 'murmurhash>=0.28.0,<1.1.0' 'thinc>=7.0.8,<7.1.0'

    cwd: None

    Complete output (59 lines):

    Collecting setuptools

    Using cached setuptools-50.0.0-py3-none-any.whl (783 kB)

    Collecting wheel<0.33.0,>0.32.0

    Using cached wheel-0.32.3-py2.py3-none-any.whl (21 kB)

    Collecting Cython

    Using cached Cython-0.29.21-cp38-cp38-win32.whl (1.6 MB)

    Collecting cymem<2.1.0,>=2.0.2

    Using cached cymem-2.0.3.tar.gz (51 kB)

    Collecting preshed<2.1.0,>=2.0.1

    Using cached preshed-2.0.1.tar.gz (113 kB)

    Collecting murmurhash<1.1.0,>=0.28.0

    Using cached murmurhash-1.0.2.tar.gz (35 kB)

    Collecting thinc<7.1.0,>=7.0.8

    Using cached thinc-7.0.8.tar.gz (1.9 MB)

    Collecting blis<0.3.0,>=0.2.1

    Using cached blis-0.2.4.tar.gz (1.5 MB)

    Collecting wasabi<1.1.0,>=0.0.9

    Using cached wasabi-0.8.0-py3-none-any.whl (23 kB)

    Collecting srsly<1.1.0,>=0.0.6

    Using cached srsly-1.0.2.tar.gz (192 kB)

    Collecting numpy>=1.7.0

    Using cached numpy-1.19.1-cp38-cp38-win32.whl (10.9 MB)

    Collecting plac<1.0.0,>=0.9.6

    Using cached plac-0.9.6-py2.py3-none-any.whl (20 kB)

    Collecting tqdm<5.0.0,>=4.10.0

    Using cached tqdm-4.48.2-py2.py3-none-any.whl (68 kB)

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for cymem, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for preshed, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for murmurhash, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for thinc, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for blis, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Using legacy 'setup.py install' for srsly, since package 'wheel' is not installed.

    Installing collected packages: setuptools, wheel, Cython, cymem, preshed, murmurhash, numpy, blis, wasabi, srsly, plac, tqdm, thinc

    Running setup.py install for cymem: started

    Running setup.py install for cymem: finished with status 'error'

    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1:

    command: 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\asus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-zr3lpckm\\cymem\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\asus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-zr3lpckm\\cymem\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-56rq_j0q\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --prefix 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay' --compile --install-headers 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay\Include\cymem'

    cwd: C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-install-zr3lpckm\cymem\

    Complete output (18 lines):

    WARNING: The wheel package is not available.

    running install

    running build

    running build_py

    creating build

    creating build\lib.win32-3.8

    creating build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    copying cymem\about.py -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    copying cymem\__init__.py -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    package init file 'cymem\tests\__init__.py' not found (or not a regular file)

    creating build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem\tests

    copying cymem\tests\test_import.py -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem\tests

    copying cymem\cymem.pyx -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    copying cymem\cymem.pxd -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    copying cymem\__init__.pxd -> build\lib.win32-3.8\cymem

    running build_ext

    building 'cymem.cymem' extension

    error: Microsoft Visual C++ 14.0 or greater is required. Get it with "Microsoft C++ Build Tools": https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/visual-cpp-build-tools/

    ----------------------------------------

    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\python.exe' -u -c 'import sys, setuptools, tokenize; sys.argv[0] = '"'"'C:\\Users\\asus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-zr3lpckm\\cymem\\setup.py'"'"'; __file__='"'"'C:\\Users\\asus\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\pip-install-zr3lpckm\\cymem\\setup.py'"'"';f=getattr(tokenize, '"'"'open'"'"', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('"'"'\r\n'"'"', '"'"'\n'"'"');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, '"'"'exec'"'"'))' install --record 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-record-56rq_j0q\install-record.txt' --single-version-externally-managed --prefix 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay' --compile --install-headers 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay\Include\cymem' Check the logs for full command output.

    ----------------------------------------

    ERROR: Command errored out with exit status 1: 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\python.exe' 'c:\users\asus\appdata\local\programs\python\python38-32\lib\site-packages\pip' install --ignore-installed --no-user --prefix 'C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Temp\pip-build-env-ywpytou9\overlay' --no-warn-script-location --no-binary :none: --only-binary :none: -i https://pypi.org/simple -- setuptools 'wheel>0.32.0,<0.33.0' Cython 'cymem>=2.0.2,<2.1.0' 'preshed>=2.0.1,<2.1.0' 'murmurhash>=0.28.0,<1.1.0' 'thinc>=7.0.8,<7.1.0' Check the logs for full command output.

    C:\Users\asus>

    submitted by /u/Light203
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment