• Breaking News

    Sunday, December 5, 2021

    I modelled my portfolio website after Windows 95, built with VueJS and plenty of vanilla CSS. Link and repo in comments. web developers

    I modelled my portfolio website after Windows 95, built with VueJS and plenty of vanilla CSS. Link and repo in comments. web developers


    I modelled my portfolio website after Windows 95, built with VueJS and plenty of vanilla CSS. Link and repo in comments.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:14 AM PST

    PSA: You're Probably Using Aria-hidden Wrong

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 05:58 PM PST

    At least once a week I have to run this in my console:

    for (let el of document.querySelectorAll("[aria-hidden]")) el.removeAttribute("aria-hidden");

    I use a screen-reader, and when the aria-hidden attribute is set on an element, it and everything it contains will be hidden from the accessibility API, and thus my screen-reader. It's basically a non-visual display: none; The problem is that display: none; actually does hide the element from screen-readers as well, so in most cases, aria-hidden is unnecessary. In fact, someone once asked me when it was necessary, and as an amateur coder who only knows enough about web development to fix existing code, I struggled to find an answer. I'm sure it has some great uses, but most of the time, I see it used in the most bizarrely incorrect ways.

    This post was inspired by my girlfriend calling me mid-exam, telling me that her screen-reader didn't read the text of questions 2 and 5. I remoted into her computer, checked the console and ... sure enough, the text of two random questions was aria-hidden. Why would arbitrary text on a page be hidden from screen-readers and nothing else? We'll probably never know.

    I tried to return a laptop on Ebay the other day. The seller sent me a shipping label, so I needed to print it on my computer. No matter which message I loaded, I couldn't read the text of it. I knew this had worked two weeks ago, because I used my computer to message the seller about an unrelated problem. I spent a while trying to slog through the unmitigated disaster that calls itself a DOM on Ebay's message page before finally giving up and just running the code. Sure enough, the message text magically appeared. Ebay has an excellent accessibility team who was aware of the issue already, but somehow this still happened.

    For almost a year, my ISP had an SMS-based 2FA system that would nag users who didn't have it set up upon login, and would also ask users for a verification code if they did have it set up. In both cases, I couldn't read a thing with my screen-reader until I manually turned off aria-hidden on everything. This started before I understood what was going on, so I had to call and harass customer service to just shut off the 2FA nag, which they really didn't want to do.

    And on it goes. The more complex the website, the more likely it is to break. This is such a common problem that an accessibility developer released a Firefox addon to help people fix it.

    Maybe someone with a lot more experience can shed some light on how and why this happens so often, because I'm really starting to wonder if there's some buggy code in a framework somewhere that's causing this to break over and over.

    Anyway, thanks for reading, and for those who do go the extra mile to make things accessible, I genuinely appreciate you. This was kind of a rant post, but the other 99% of my web usage is great, and it's all thanks to people who are way more code-savvy than I.

    submitted by /u/SLJ7
    [link] [comments]

    O.V.N.I. Abduction with Pure CSS

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:44 PM PST

    I made a website that uses AI to analyze chess videos on YouTube: use Board Explorer to find videos matching a position, Watch Videos with a synchronized board and the engine, Search Videos by chess concepts. More in the comments

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 04:38 AM PST

    Been working for 2 years on Plasmic, a visual builder for React, Vue, Angular, HTML. Create beautiful, optimized experiences, and bring your own components. Speed up your dev time, or enable content editors/designers to publish without further requests on developers.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 09:41 PM PST

    I created a way to help you learn digital art

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:04 AM PST

    How long after boot camp did it take you to get a job?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 05:03 PM PST

    I was wondering if people would be willing to share their experience finding a job after boot camp. How long did it take you? Did the boot camp help? How much more learning did you have to do?

    submitted by /u/raboomar
    [link] [comments]

    My experiments with vanilla JavaScript audio visualizers (+ tutorial & full source code)

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 08:11 AM PST

    Animated and game-like user interface exploration - time and habit tracking dashboard

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 02:12 AM PST

    Context-free and async reducers based react state helper

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 10:26 PM PST

    I made yet another react state management thing called csar. Reducer based, small, no react context, async reducers, dispatch inside reducers, can be configured to work with redux dev tools.

    Because I could and I found it useful for myself for now ¯\(ツ)\

    I will really appreciate any feedback though

    submitted by /u/i_like_idli
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest way to add a login/signup feature to your website?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 11:35 AM PST

    I'm relatively new to webdev, I started learning at the start of 2021 and have learned the basics of HTML, CSS and JS. A few months ago while learning/making a test website I decided to learn how to set up a basic login/sign up system with an sql database using php. While I learned a lot it was just so much code to write out and there was no way i was going to remember how to replicate it again (followed a youtube tutorial). Also, I'm aware that the way it was built probably wasn't very secure at all.

    I took a break from learning over the last few months due to work commitments but now I'm back and ready to continue where I left off. This time around I'm looking for the most straight forward solution to a sign up/login system, hopefully something that just works straight out the box and automatically creates a user database for administration. What is the best solution or most common way forward here?

    submitted by /u/aaaadam
    [link] [comments]

    Dropdown content is not visible. Plz help me i am going crazy

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 10:54 PM PST

    I have used bootstrap for first time for carousel. Now due to it my dropdown content is not showing up in the page. I have attached the code snippets of nav menu and bootstrap carousel.

    https://ibb.co/7NXT5QX

    https://ibb.co/7295wjZ

    https://ibb.co/p1N9mVp

    submitted by /u/UZI313
    [link] [comments]

    endpoint works in postman and browsers but not with a fetch

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 10:51 PM PST

    You can paste http://backend.atavismxi.com/api/toons into your browser and see you get a JSON back. Works fine in postman too.

    But when I try to use it with a fetch request I get

    Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.

    and some cors stuff. I hate cors.

    Do I need to add some kind of header to my fetch?

    submitted by /u/Grahf0085
    [link] [comments]

    Created an app that shows the power of compound interest

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:58 AM PST

    How much do front end web devs really make?

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 10:20 PM PST

    Like you're in a regular state in the US. Like Arizona

    I'm 23 and finding out what i want to do, career wise

    And I heard that front end web dev, make over 100k

    That would be extremely helpful with medical stuff and finding me a place to actually live.

    100k+ with only 6 months of learning html, css, and javascript, sign me up.

    But i know that's not really the case, especially since i'm not in silicon valley

    Just trying to figure stuff out.

    I know money shouldn't be the main motivation, but it does help with certain things

    submitted by /u/CookiePagan98
    [link] [comments]

    Prettier isn’t working in my index.html file but is working in other files.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:19 PM PST

    Hello! So. I'm making a personal website and I'm pretty new to web development. I've been using prettier for weeks now with no problems.

    I took a week vacation so I didn't code and now I'm noticing that when I save, prettier isn't working. It gives me the little ! But does not show me an error when I click on it and look at problems or debug.

    I opened up some of the other webpages connected to my index and prettier is working fine in those! Idk what happened.

    Can someone help me?

    submitted by /u/BrandonTheComicMan
    [link] [comments]

    Stock research "app" with React and Capacitor

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 10:45 AM PST

    I created a responsive web page based on a design I saw on Dribbble

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 06:03 PM PST

    I made a Website that allows users to see their YouTube Subscriber History

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 12:52 PM PST

    I made a clone of the classic Tron arcade game using 100% vanilla JS and HTML canvas!

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 12:17 PM PST

    WordPress website maxing out IO, CPU, RAM etc.

    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 03:56 PM PST

    I just had my website converted to a WordPress site and its hosted on GoDaddy at the moment. Yes I know it needs to be moved... The problem is that its really slow lately and will get 503 errors and when I go to cPanel it will be maxing out CPU, IO, RAM and so on it will be totally random. I started disabling some plugins such as Wordfence and Updraft and things would improve and then start maxing out again. I have the basic Linux hosting with 512 MB of RAM, 1 CPU core and 1000 I\O.

    My site is just text and images with no scripts and I'm not selling anything etc. so I would assume I don't need much horsepower to run it. I did get hacked a couple of weeks ago and they made a new WP folder and database on my server but supposedly my developer has that cleaned out. Do you think its a case of needing a better server or could something else be wrong? I'm new to WP and am not a developer.

    submitted by /u/Wasisnt
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment