• Breaking News

    Wednesday, February 10, 2021

    Hi, I'm 23 and live in a rural area, I have a passion for programming and coding. Is it worth it to continue my studying considering where I live? Ask Programming

    Hi, I'm 23 and live in a rural area, I have a passion for programming and coding. Is it worth it to continue my studying considering where I live? Ask Programming


    Hi, I'm 23 and live in a rural area, I have a passion for programming and coding. Is it worth it to continue my studying considering where I live?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 05:58 PM PST

    I live in a rural area which has mostly trade and labour work. I wanted to know if I should continue my studying and maybe working from home. Is this achievable? What jobs could I get?

    submitted by /u/truckbomb99
    [link] [comments]

    What did they demand of you in your first junior job or what do you expect from a junior developer you want to hire?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 07:40 AM PST

    Hello, I want to start work, I am in the fourth year of my degree in computer engineering and I do not know what a boss or a company can expect from me.

    I have very good grades, but I feel like I will never know enough for a job, hahahaha. So I want to work and add experience, I handle some programming languages like c / c ++, java, kotlin, I know data structures, but not databases for example.

    If anyone could help me or give me any advice on this, I would appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/ViggoGod
    [link] [comments]

    C# Event Syntax

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:53 PM PST

    I've been learning about events in C# from Microsoft's documentation. In their example here they use the following code snippet to invoke an event.

    protected virtual void OnThresholdReached(EventArgs e)

    {

    EventHandler handler = ThresholdReached;

    if (handler != null) { handler(this, e); }

    }

    Why are they creating a new EventHandler and setting it equal to another before invoking it? Why not just invoke ThresholdReached directly?

    submitted by /u/420FlyingHigh
    [link] [comments]

    Valentine’s Day message for a programmer?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 09:03 AM PST

    My boyfriend is a programmer and he loves what he does, so I was wondering if there was a way for me to say something cute to him in javascript....like 'I love you more than anything except for rats' or 'I'll be your rubber duck.' Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/georgekelley
    [link] [comments]

    Developers who back active cloud/SaaS apps with okta/auth0: how do you approach local development?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 10:21 PM PST

    My team is considering adopting a third party IAM solution and a sticking point has been how to work with it locally with minimal overall pain points. So far we've considered: * One auth0 tenant per developer * One auth0 tenant shared across multiple developers * Writing custom login handlers optionally (only) for development to avoid auth0 altogether (seems pretty self defeating)

    How have you handled this in your organization?

    submitted by /u/YungSparkNote
    [link] [comments]

    Any advantage to using a 64-bit over 32-bit version of a program?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 09:14 PM PST

    I usually see an option to download either 32 or 64 bit versions of software. I'm on 64 bit but the 32 bit usually works just as well while being a much smaller file.

    submitted by /u/GirkovArpa
    [link] [comments]

    Do professional web devs use someone else code from Github?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 09:56 AM PST

    1. Let us say you need to build a blog. Is it feasible for you to copy someone else's code from GitHub and use it in a project that you are going to sell to someone?
    2. In another case, do you use the code you used in previous projects? For example, another client wants a blog, so will you copy the backend from another project you made for some other client?
    submitted by /u/Strong_Badger98
    [link] [comments]

    How do I create a custom web browser that shows only one website? for Android

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 12:40 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    this is more or less a workaround because the android Google Chrome app is just super annoying.

    I have to access a website every morning to submit some data. So, because this website had a mobile version for it, I took this version and set it up as an app on my home screen (There is this feature "Add to Home screen"). It basically (at least I thought) creates a shortcut to instantly navigate to that website. Everything worked fine and never really bothered me. But a few days ago it just crashed and now only shows me the regular desktop website which is really bad to handle on a mobile phone. I tried setting it up again, which worked for a short time, but then again showed me the desktop website.

    Now I thought of a way to just work around that and came up with just a custom browser that shows me only one website that already exists. Since I only know Python for now, I thought I could ask some kind strangers in here.

    Does anybody have an idea of how I could build this browser so I could use it on my Android phone?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/IamaI_____underscore
    [link] [comments]

    How can i build a menu in a JSP page inside WEB-INF, while only using one servlet? I can't find how to make the servlet recognize wich option i clicked, maybe making each option a form with a different method?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 05:41 PM PST

    How best to prevent repetitive notifications

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 12:20 PM PST

    I'm from a Linux background so can often get away with automating tasks or making basic prototypes in bash. I've made something that checks various services for a string, and if it detects it notifies me via a slack webhook.

    I loop through an array of strings, which works but when it successfully detects the string it keeps notifying until I manually disable due to it running via crontab which isn't ideal so have a few queries:

    • What's the de facto way to do this sort of repetitive check, but only notify once/once every few hours rather than every few minutes?

    • At what point is it worth me moving something like this to a more 'web/scrapey' type language or framework? I use bash because it's what/all I know and can usually get data from one source and push it to another through a mixture of curl/awk/grep type commands, but once I'm starting to require oauth/twitter and a few other integrations beyond a static webhook I'm wondering at what point it becomes beneficial/quicker etc to start learning python for example.

    submitted by /u/CheesyMozzarella
    [link] [comments]

    Got a C on my assignment for not using a DTO, what the hell is a DTO? Python.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 11:46 AM PST

    This semester i'm supposed to be learning a programming language on my own, I chose Python.

    For this assignment I have to read data from an excel file and display it to the user in the terminal. Also some other fluff stuff but that's not important.

    I did it properly and the information the user chose displayed fine in the terminal, but I got a severe penalty for not using a DTO. I literally don't know what a DTO is and all my google searches come up with pages I don't understand.

    What is a DTO? Is it something I create? Is it something I pull from a library? What does it do? Do I make a separate class for it?

    submitted by /u/Frequent_Main_4155
    [link] [comments]

    What's a good amount of cloud storage to start your mobile app in for images?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 11:32 AM PST

    I will have an app that users can post up to 3-4 images per project post. (Unsure of how many projects will be averaged). I'm not even sure how many users to expect with this app, as it is nothing like what is out there. I was thinking of using cloudinary which gives 25gb of free storage for now. But other places like wasabi, offer 1tb for 5.99/mo, and then digital oceans offers 250gb for 5$/mo. Any pros and cons to these storage solutions, its just for user uploaded images. What do y'all use, and what are some benefits out there...

    submitted by /u/ThisSoFrustrating
    [link] [comments]

    How can i become a developer without a degree?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 11:27 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I wanted to ask you guys, if it's possible to work as a developer without a degree, I'm currently learning python, and i would love to become a python developer, what is it gonna take for me to get a job (apart freelancing), is it gonna be possible to work remotely with companies abroad? or do i have to be on site? what steps should i follow to achieve this? i wanna start working at a company and save some money before starting my own project.

    Thank you <3

    submitted by /u/akram00x
    [link] [comments]

    Research/Survey: Truly Agile or Cargo-Cult? | Thanks for your help!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 03:11 PM PST

    Hi Everyone! I hope this is allowed here...

    I would really appreciate your participation in a survey I created for my research about being truly agile. The survey data will be analyzed and presented as part of a bachelor's thesis.

    Target participants: Anyone who has experienced working in an agile software development environment.

    Purpose of the study: The study aims to investigate how true to agile principles and values are teams and organizations that proclaim to be "agile" in a software development setting. The study will examine which practices the agile team members do or do not adhere to. It will take approximately 15 minutes to complete the questionnaire.

    All responses will remain confidential and secure.

    Thank you so much for your support and for your valuable insights! Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have.

    https://www.questionpro.com/t/ASBgNZkyex

    submitted by /u/ProfessionalDay888
    [link] [comments]

    Will switching from Python to Java or Golang speed up the execution of this?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 08:35 AM PST

    Hi, I am curious on what you think about this... I have a script that walks through subdirectories, they look like this:

    Years, then subdir with months, then subdirs with days and last subdir is time with hours minutes and seconds.

    The script goes through every time subdir for two years and if it finds an .xml file it checks if there is a pdf file with the same name except the extention. So if it finds cucumber.xml it checks if cucumber.pdf exists. If the pdf does not exist it copies the .xml file to a gathering directory for future use.

    Do you think the performance of such a piece of code mostly depend on stuff not in the code, like disk IO, file system and operating system... or do you think I could achieve higher performance by making the same thing in java or golang?

    submitted by /u/hugthemachines
    [link] [comments]

    What is more effecient storing file on server or using buffer and why ?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 10:46 AM PST

    Hear me out first, so i was writting api for forwarding pictures from my server to another server for processing. So firstly I saved the picture on my server and then upload it to other server for processing once everything is good in the API response i delete the file. So today I used the formdata apend ('data' , buffer, {filename: 'data'}) its works well but i wanna know is it worth changing the previous 4 5 apis that I have used the 1st method mentioned above.

    submitted by /u/poker-_-
    [link] [comments]

    Possibilty to rate Commits for repository?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 10:06 AM PST

    Hello about the idea of huge openSource Projects

    is there a possibilty to rate Commits for a repository?
    I mean rating like a reddit post or wikipedia article for code
    and if its consens or mod says its ok and gets committed.

    This would make possible huge openSource Projects and learning possibiltys for everyone

    submitted by /u/Schnee_im_SommerGW1
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anything like Firestore (pay as you go, free tier) but for SQL?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:41 PM PST

    I have an app client upcoming but don't want to use Firestore anymore due to certain query limitations that were quite frightening in one project I recently used it in. However, it's great for smaller projects because their free tier is quite good and some (if not a majority... idk now) of the projects of my clients never even reach the payment treshold.

    Is there anything analogous but for a relational database with sql supported? I do not want to pay a monthly fee, pay as you go would be better if there is no free tier offered.

    submitted by /u/gintrux
    [link] [comments]

    How to do Automated messaging on Android messaging platforms

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 01:28 PM PST

    Can someone help me out with a small project where I'm trying to send an automated message from Whatsapp/any messaging platforms. To start with I would want to send the same message (say 'Hi <name>') to a certain list of my contacts.

    P.S. I'm fairly comfortable with python/cpp

    submitted by /u/CrookedOaf
    [link] [comments]

    I'm learning cloud-native development and migration, need help looking for an open-source java project to get my hands dirty.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 06:46 AM PST

    Hi guys,

    I've been working as a developer for some time now. I know basic app development and deployment on the cloud(GCP and AWS currently). Now I wish to try my hand at migration. I am looking for a moderately complex open source project that I can migrate to the cloud using various strategies(lift n shift, etc). It can be anything, maybe a simple CMS, some internal chat application, or some rudimentary ERP system. I would really appreciate it if someone would point me to such a project ideally on Github.

    I have found this e-commerce platform that I am currently reviewing. I'll probably need something on similar lines. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/dudes_indian
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a simple way to modify ROOT macros in Python?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 12:19 PM PST

    I'm trying to create a python script that repeatedly runs a C file with files in a folder as arguments. I don't think I can just use subprocess to replace the file names and use a simple for loop because the C file is a ROOT macro, so I have to open up a root session first, and then compile and execute the file. I don't think there's a way to open up a ROOT session, compile the macro, execute, and give it arguments in a single line, so subprocess has trouble with the task.

    My idea was to figure out a way to iteratively edit the ROOT macro, in Python, so I can change the variables in the macro to the files I want to according to the Python program. Then, I could change the ROOT macro to one file, run the macro with subprocess (subprocess.call("root MacroName.C")), and then change it again to the next file.

    I've thought about making the ROOT macro into a text file, so I can write to it in Python, but then I wouldn't know how to change the file back into an executable ROOT macro. Does anyone know if there's a simpler way to do this? I'm new to Python so apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

    I asked this problem on stack overflow and responses regarding -D and configuration files, I was just wondering if anyone here had any other ideas. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LaughRiot68
    [link] [comments]

    How can I create a bot that can interact with messages in private Facebook Messenger group conversations?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 07:23 AM PST

    I created a Minecraft server hosted on AWS for my friends and I. To decrease the cost I have Lambda functions auto-start and stop the server at set times, but I'd like to change the timed auto-start to an event driven start.

    We mostly use a private Messenger group to communicate, so I thought it would work really well to create a bot in that group that will listen to some phrase, maybe '!playminecraft' and send out a POST to Lambda to turn on the server.

    I found some resources for Facebook Workplace (here), where they claim:

    While in groups, bots are able to consume and share information across a group of people asynchronously, bots in chat are best for direct real-time interaction with a single person or defined group of people.

    But I can't see how to do this in Messenger? It almost looks like this isn't possible even though it seems like a common usecase?

    submitted by /u/mmccarthy404
    [link] [comments]

    Stay at Home we need a plattform by people for people

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 08:31 AM PST

    Hello World

    there a lot of streaming possibilitys out there most of them drive people crazy in chasing ingame values purchased for real money! Its more about the money then the people!

    What if we group up and start developeing a streaming plattform from the people for the people?

    In times where people have to stay at home everyone is looking for a plattform to share and ofcourse there are a lot of Artist out there that would love to share and people want to enjoy art.

    I post 2 of my poems theyre in german maybe ask google to understand . This is the context for me to start this discusion!

    divide et impera

    Der Wunsch zu teilen

    mit anderen zu verweilen

    einen Beitrag zu sein

    ganz ohne dein und mein

    gemeinsam haben teilen freuen

    das ist Informatik in dem Neuen

    teilen ohne Verlust mit Freude

    weil jeder es kann

    und man die Welt bewegt berührt

    und inspirieren kann

    teile und hersche

    in einem ganz neuen Sinn

    erobert diese Welt

    und teilt euer Herz

    und vieleicht auch euren Schmerz?

    PoetrySlam #Kunst

    Einmal im Monat

    bringen wir unsere Tonart

    Der Saal ist gefüllt

    Die Stille knisternd brüllt

    wer bock hat der kann

    wir sind hier für den fun

    Die Bühne ist frei

    wer will ist dabei

    egal was passiert

    niemand verliert

    wir stehen hinter dir

    denn die Kunst sind WIR

    submitted by /u/Schnee_im_SommerGW1
    [link] [comments]

    What languages should i focus on to build a streaming app

    Posted: 10 Feb 2021 07:10 AM PST

    Hello everyone! so basically, i have the idea in mind, i'm new to programming, started few months ago, HTML, CSS, JS & Python as well, i'm still learning these, but this idea, it's gonna be a streaming app with some features & everything, can you guys please tell me like where to look, what languages should i focus on (it's gonna be for both apple & android), later on i'll develop the website as well, so i don't know what languages i should focus on, like some people told me i can do it with python & html. Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/akram00x
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment