• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 12, 2020

    Why are we still here, just to suffer? Shoulder to cry on needed learn programming

    Why are we still here, just to suffer? Shoulder to cry on needed learn programming


    Why are we still here, just to suffer? Shoulder to cry on needed

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 05:47 AM PDT

    I graduated from University few years ago and at the moment I have relatively stable job(engineering). I don't know what sparked the interest to do programming but somehow I've managed to do it couple of months now and I have decided to stick with it. Maybe I felt like I want to be a part of something fancy, something that is a hot topic "everything is code bla bla". I do it on my spare time after work or during weekends. If I don't do it for day or two I start to beat myself down and force myself to study more. This is where the first problem arise, should it be this difficult? Should I jump around with joy when I get back to javascript theory and struggle with basic concepts of programming. Anyhow I've been doing the odin project and some other project based tutorials. The imposter syndrome is too real when I realize I mostly copy code from tutorial and try to wrap my head around the concepts. I guess you got to start somewhere.

    Second problem, why I even do this? My current job is ok, not what I expected but not something I dread. I am not here for insane amount of money, I am a realist so I know I will not be a tier 1 god architect. Not here to solve world problems either. Maybe this is just some universal existential crisis thing going on but at the moment the only sign why I should do this is, well I have strength to come back at it and don't seem to stop. It would be nice to create a fancy web-page for my friends though :)

    Third, with this crippling low self-esteem am I just heading towards a downward spiral If I quit my current job(1 year in) and do this as hard as I can, maybe apply to some program and get some mentoring help that way. Or should I just hang on with my current job, see if this is really something I enjoy and not be so god damn impatient and start to look developer jobs after maybe 2 years after I have more knowledge and something to show for.

    Being self-taught is hard. Sorry for my too long sentences and bad English.

    TLDR: Struggling with programming and impatience. Me trying to grasp what it takes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdbKLIw5rs

    EDIT: Did not expect this to get so many really nice insights and answers. I want to emphasize that I don't want this to look like a total self pity moment. Hopefully some random reddit lurker get's help from this as well.

    submitted by /u/Corbnorth
    [link] [comments]

    Just stick with it, you will get it eventually

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    I just wanted to make this post for the people Struggling with learning programming, to say that if you stick with it you will get better and better and also to answer some questions people might have about working with programming or my experiences learning to program. I struggled a lot with learning it myself but half a year ago I landed my first job doing programming where I work as a game developer, where other than developing games I also work on the company's game engine.

    I will try to answer any questions people might have.

    submitted by /u/mopelsen424
    [link] [comments]

    Python Beginner practice

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 06:54 PM PDT

    I am a beginner and I understand the material, it's just actually writing something where I have trouble. Sometimes when i do a problem from my book i get there halfway and then get stuck. When I look at the answer I understand it and I'm just like "How did I not see that". I know my problem solving skills are not the best, but is there any place online I can practice or any methods you guys may have learned? Sorry for the long post.

    submitted by /u/starkiller_1138
    [link] [comments]

    How to move from Console Apps to Desktop Apps

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    I've been programming for a few years now, and I've done plenty of work in differing languages, but for the most part it's been basically restricted to console applications for various purposes. However I've been learning and working with C# lots recently and have decided that I want to make a proper desktop application with it, currently I'm planning to make a replacement for the Window's File Explorer. I have loads of ideas on how I want to make it and how I plan to improve on it, but I really don't know where to start on how to make something like this, if anyone here has ideas, tips, or any resources that could help me out it would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Shuaster136
    [link] [comments]

    Just started with python

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 05:34 PM PDT

    So today I wanted to start learning python with jupyter and have no idea where to start from. I am complete beginner with no background on coding. I found some beginners courses on youtube and online resources and many of them use Pycharm. Should i consider switching? (I like jupyter's type of cells tho) I also found this book automate the boring stuff with python, seems pretty good suggestions?

    submitted by /u/DjMiXeD
    [link] [comments]

    Any thoughts on "The 2020 Ultimate Web Developer and Design Bootcamp Bundle"?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 06:10 PM PDT

    Trying to learn how to code. Currently going through the freeCodeCamp curriculum. I'm getting by but having a tough time because FCC doesn't really fully explain concepts. I ran in to this:

    https://stacksocial.com/sales/the-2020-ultimate-web-developer-design-bootcamp-bundle

    Seemed decent. Is it worth buying or am I better off with fcc?

    Thank you for any responses.

    submitted by /u/kagc89
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find public and thorough code reviews?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 09:19 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm a self-taught, freelance developer and I feel like I've recently hit a wall in my abilities. Basically, I'm struggling to take my code from "it works" to "well-written".

    A friend of mine who is an engineer at a company told me that after college he got a job at small startup where there were 2 amazing senior engineers who had to review all code that went into production. The junior developers used to read all their reviews, even on other people's code, because they would learn so much from them.

    Since I'm a freelancer, I can't get code reviews on my own code. But, emulating my friend, I think it could be beneficial to read good reviews of code that is using the same languages and frameworks I use in my code.

    Does anyone know of a place to find thorough code reviews like you would see at a company but that are public?

    I know of several places (including this subreddit!) where people do code reviews. But tracking down reviews on the relevant languages and frameworks is hard. Also the reviews tend not to go through line-by-line so the helpful bits are scrambled throughout the thread and it's hard to piece everything together.

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    p.s. - Apologies if this has already been answered or this is not the right forum. I read all the FAQs and didn't see this question.

    submitted by /u/SteveZissou64
    [link] [comments]

    Interested in a Udemy Course

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 09:29 PM PDT

    Anyone taken any courses on Android Development? I want to learn to program and make my own apps and get a job as an android developer as well. Currently looking at two courses both top rated one by Rob Percival(updated 05/2020) and the other by Tim Buchalka(updated 07/2020). Perhaps someone can recommend me a different course

    submitted by /u/General_Truth
    [link] [comments]

    I built a code on solo learn and it ran great but when I copied it and directly put it into a blank template on visual studio for the same language with everything copied I got 36 errors and 1 warning

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 11:25 PM PDT

    Why is this? I just don't get it

    Edit: I use c# if that makes a difference

    Edit Edit: Never mind I'm an idiot disregard

    submitted by /u/NathanTuc
    [link] [comments]

    Why IDE's are usually slower in executing a program?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 10:39 PM PDT

    Running a program purely on terminal so fast where as on IDE's like code blocks, pycharm , eclipse it takes a bit long to execute. so what extra an ide is doing which makes it slow?

    submitted by /u/Curious_homosepian
    [link] [comments]

    I'm currently halfway through Hack Reactor. How can I improve at DS/A for future coding interviews within a short amount of time? Any great resources that teach DS/A and attacking these problems with javascript?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 05:32 PM PDT

    The DS/A curriculum for HR is pretty much just implementing Stack, Queue, Linked List, Tree, Hash Table, and a Graph in javascript along with toy problems every morning. Not sure if this level of understanding of DS/A is enough for tough coding interviews and Leetcode type questions. Because I'm still in the program and now we're focusing on front end and back end capstones which aren't focusing on this topic, I want to dedicate about 2 hours a day to DS/A and solving LC type questions.

    Any recommendations for resources to use to get better at DS/A and then would you just recommend attacking LC with my remaining time? I know many people mention Coursera's sedgewick's algo course or MIT 6.006 to learn algos but would that be the best use of 2 hours a day for me right now? CTCI is another option. One issue is that while I've gotten pretty good at JS, I don't really know Java at all, and I'm not sure it would be time efficient to learn that right now vs. leveling up in DS/A with javascript.

    submitted by /u/LebronManning
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling Overwhelmed, words of wisdom?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Was a bit interested in websites so got into casually learning some front end web dev stuff...html, css and then js...that led to some general intro CS stuff...that led to starting to learn Java...for the purposes of android apps perhaps? ...But want to learn about how the internet really works, and the WWW...and how about the hardware it all runs on? Isn't it interesting to know about C and machine code?...frameworks, security etc etc.

    This seems like such an absolutely huge world and I have never encountered a field with language so rife with acronyms and just utterly impenetrable,

    "what Java IDE do you use? I use netbeans": there's no way of inferring what this means if you're not familiar, you literally have to look up all of those terms.

    Do I have to just focus on one area and be content with that? Is it impossible to get a more all-encompassing view in CS or does it just feel that way?

    submitted by /u/ahpto
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Python: Functions

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    The function

    area_rect(x, y) 

    returns the area of a rectangle of length x and breadth y.

    Define a function

    area_square(x) 

    that:

    1. Returns the area of a square of length x. The area_square function should make use of the area_rect function. Thus, you do not need to know how the area of a rectangular is calculated.
    2. Returns 0 if the input parameter is <= 0.

    Note: You do not have to define the

    area_rect 

    function yourself. You simply have to call the function.

    I do not have a clue on the area_square function should make use of the area_rect function meaning

    How do you have a working code for this

    submitted by /u/surenine
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to handle feeling outpaced

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    Trying to pick up programming now at eighteen (nearly 19) and it's so frustrating. I don't know what I don't know, haven't done any major projects, and only infrequently code on the side.

    I first started learning by reading documentation/ Stack Overflow. So my learning of the basics has been patchy and driven by necessity, yet I have no patience for beginner courses since I'm not learning from scratch. It's an awkward position.

    I really want a computational job in the future, because algorithms, ML and computer modelling have so much potential to solve FASCINATING problems. The scientific applications of programming are what really draw me, not the money.

    I study Bio right now and really regret not choosing a seriously quantitative discipline for undergrad. I feel like I'm already losing out to CompSci/Maths/Physics/Chem undergrads, in that order exactly. I've lost interest in biology and realised that what actually matters to me isn't the content of the subject, but being in a position to solve problems and design solutions (!!!)

    I know peers (studying the "god tier" subjects I mentioned above) who have been coding since they were kids - front-end, back-end, you name it - scoring internships on data analysis and game dev and I just... These people are miles ahead of me with their degree AND their portfolio/side projects.

    How do I compete? What could I possibly do? Right now all I've done is minor stuff like Conway's Game of Life (tried to make a gui where you toggle the conditions, lost steam and gave up) and Regex for extracting citations from papers (fuck it, still got issues with months like January 2020)

    The "can anyone give me project ideas" question has been asked a million times but I was wondering if someone could just give me advice. I've got two more years in uni - what can I do to build a portfolio, score a data analysis internship at a start-up or something like that? If I'm being too ambitious, please knock me down a peg.

    (Don't know if this subreddit is the right place to post this, sorry)

    submitted by /u/analysisSad
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask - but I'm having problem with component services installation [windows 10].

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    I am currently supporting classic ASP application and they're using COM+ components. I need to install them under component services, but I've encountered 80004003 invalid pointer error in my windows. I have tried solving the integrity violation (detected and fixed), restart computer with no other programs running other than minimal programs such as Outlook, Team, reboot in safe mode (components doesn't come out). Please help and thanks.

    Below is the error message:

    https://i.stack.imgur.com/LoyIs.png

    submitted by /u/CoolBuddha91
    [link] [comments]

    Interactive Content

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    I wasn't quite sure where the best place to post this would be. How do certain publications create interactive content? (e.g. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-spread.html) Is this through CSS and Javascript? What are some tools and tutorials I can use to create similar content? (It's for a project I had in mind.)

    submitted by /u/sinkingsoul391739
    [link] [comments]

    A Noob Question

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 12:19 AM PDT

    Hy guys, as the title suggest, I have a noob question which is really troubling me.

    • The question is, in production code, do I really have to wrap my code in try/catch blocks no matter what? Let's take a function in a Laravel controller for example:

    function index(){ $categories = $this->categoryService->getCategories(); return response()->json(['categories' => $categories]); } 
    • Now, do I really have to wrap this in a try/catch block? If there are no categories, the array will be empty & that is totally fine. Same is the case with a post request:

    function create(CategoryRequest $request){ $category = $this->categoryService->createNewCategory( $request ); return response()->json(['category' => $category]); } 
    • If the validation fails, an error will be thrown automatically. I don't understand where try/catch come into play & why so many people say you have to wrap your code in a try/catch block in production?

    The same is the case with VueJS or Flutter for example.

    • I mean, I know, anything can happen but still, I don't really understand the logic? In Flutter, when I am making an async request, there try/catch must be used or while uploading a file or some database transaction but try/catch every?

    Can anyone please give me a production-level coding example in Laravel/Vue/Flutter or any other language where a real-world scenario is used & the aforementioned points are cleared up.

    Thank You very much :(

    submitted by /u/__ukr006___
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Python: Lists Confusion

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    I am trying to sort numbers in ascending order, but I am confused with the solution.

    I understand that the while swapped (True) enables the loop to go on forever, but it is then immediately followed with swapped = False, so wouldn't that break the loop?

    myList = [8, 10, 6, 2, 4] # list to sort swapped = True # it's a little fake - we need it to enter the while loop while swapped: swapped = False # no swaps so far for i in range(len(myList) - 1): if myList[i] > myList[i + 1]: swapped = True # swap occurred! myList[i], myList[i + 1] = myList[i + 1], myList[i] print(myList) 

    Outcome:

    [2, 4, 6, 8, 10]

    submitted by /u/chandyego84
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn SQL. Can anyone help me with any courses or tutorials where I can learn SQL as a beginner?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 12:06 AM PDT

    I finished working on FreeCodeCamp's APIs and Microservices Project (if someone wants the source code just let me know in the comments). These backend projects majorly focuses on NoSQL,which is really fun and easy to learn. But the thing is, SQL is really needed to enhance my skills, as I want to sharpen my skills as a backend developer for now.

    So guys, if anyone can help me with any SQL courses(free would be better as I am searching for jobs) where I can learn SQL as a beginner, that would be really grateful.

    submitted by /u/ShinyMercenary
    [link] [comments]

    C# storing user input into an array and then calling an element in an array question

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 11:56 PM PDT

    //static void BinarySearch()

    {

    Console.WriteLine("How many numbers do you have?");

    int binNum = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());

    int[] num = new int[binNum];

    for (int i = 0; i < binNum; i++)

    {

    Console.WriteLine("Please enter a number: ");

    int num = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());

    size[i] = Convert.ToInt32(Console.ReadLine());

    }

    for (int i = 0; i < binNum; i++)

    {

    Console.Write(size[i]);

    }

    I am trying to get the user to enter in any length of numbers and then store a unique number / element in that array. How can I go about this?

    submitted by /u/YoungBungalo
    [link] [comments]

    ESLint - eslint-recommended file not found

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 11:54 PM PDT

    yarn run v1.22.4 $ eslint '*/**/*.{js,ts,tsx}' --quiet --fix Error: Cannot read config file: /Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/@typescript-eslint/eslint-plugin/dist/configs/eslint-recommended Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/@typescript-eslint/eslint-plugin/dist/configs/eslint-recommended' Referenced from: /Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/@typescript-eslint/eslint-plugin/dist/index.js Referenced from: /Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/.eslintrc.js at Object.openSync (fs.js:440:3) at Object.readFileSync (fs.js:342:35) at readFile (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:64:15) at loadLegacyConfigFile (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:141:44) at loadConfigFile (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:240:22) at loadFromDisk (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:500:18) at load (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:564:20) at /Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:430:36 at Array.reduceRight (<anonymous>) at applyExtends (/Users/me/Code/jj/j-webapp/node_modules/eslint/lib/config/config-file.js:408:26) error Command failed with exit code 2. info Visit https://yarnpkg.com/en/docs/cli/run for documentation about this command. 

    I tried to set up ESLint / prettier and it does seem to work when I save a file, formatting the code for me, but when I try to run this command to target all the files in the project, I get those two errors. It says no such file, and that's true..I don't have the eslint-recommended file: https://imgur.com/a/GcNI6Vj but is it really needed for ESLint? This was working yesterday..

    My dev dependencies (if it's needed):

     "@typescript-eslint/eslint-plugin": "^3.9.0", "@typescript-eslint/parser": "^3.9.0", "eslint-config-prettier": "^6.11.0", "eslint-plugin-prettier": "^3.1.4", "prettier": "^2.0.5", 
    submitted by /u/SignificantGarbage
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to perfect 1 language, or be average in multiple?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I've recently started learning python for a couple months, and have started/finished a couple of projects along the way. I feel like I have a decent understanding of the core basics (lists, strings, functions, etc.). I also have learned how to use some of the core libraries as well (tkinter, numpy, pandas). My next project actually requires me to learn Java.

    The question is as in the title, is it better for me to stick to Python, and get a really good mastery/understanding of the language, and then move to Java. Or is it okay to jump to another language while my Python skills are elementary. My thinking was, a lot of core ideas will follow through/are shared, so in fact, learning another language may also help me learn/understand python better.

    submitted by /u/DrBobHope
    [link] [comments]

    Framework to create code example presentations?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 05:51 PM PDT

    I am going to be making a few coding lessons, and am looking for a way to present the code like they do on identity, is there a foss tool to make this a reality?

    I would like to display code being laid out line by line, as well as while being typed.

    submitted by /u/the_real_davenull
    [link] [comments]

    Benefits of a coding boot camp vs a 2 or 4 year degree?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    Hello!

    I am looking at a career change and am interested in coding as an option. I have an opportunity to attend a 3 month full stack coding and development boot camp offered by UC Berkley, however I am concerned about how legitimate just the certificate will be to employers vs. the typical 2 or 4 year degree. They have you build a portfolio throughout the course, have networking events and career placement services that continue after you graduate.

    I would be doing this to raise my income potential, and would ideally like that to be as high as I can get it in the future. Obviously if I can save a lot of time and get the same result with the certificate from Berkley I would like to do that, but also do not want to take shortcuts that will hinder me in the long run.

    I would like to dive into deep learning and AI after learning the basics, if that makes a difference.

    Any thoughts about this from anyone currently in the industry?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bassrose
    [link] [comments]

    Converting hexadecimal number to float then to int. Please correct me if im wrong:

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    Im noob, so i dont know if what im doing is the most correct approach and would like to know if this can be done in simpler way?

    I have an hexadecimal number and i need to make calculations with it, but first i need to see its value as a float.

    So i convert it to float. And then convert it to a decimal integer. So then i will be able to make calculations with it.

    But i wasnt able to do it directly from a int. So i needed to make an empty string. And only then i could see it as a float, which seems a bit unnecessary. But it works.

    This is what i got:

    #include <iostream> #include <iomanip> #include <cstring> int main() { char myString[]= ""; int num = 0x41200000; float f; sscanf(myString, "%x", &num); // assuming you checked input f = *((float*)&num); printf("the hexadecimal 0x%08x becomes %.3f as a float\n", num, f); int finalInteger = f; std::cout << std::dec << finalInteger << '\n'; } 
    submitted by /u/SneakyJessica
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment