• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 29, 2019

    Recreating Celeste's movement and feel using Unity!

    Recreating Celeste's movement and feel using Unity!


    Recreating Celeste's movement and feel using Unity!

    Posted: 29 May 2019 05:59 AM PDT

    Handhelds for developers

    Posted: 29 May 2019 04:19 AM PDT

    I remade Bean Counters from Club Penguin in Unity and made a video explaining the process!

    Posted: 29 May 2019 07:38 AM PDT

    What happens when you get streamers like Lirik & Forsen stream your game on launch day

    Posted: 29 May 2019 04:54 AM PDT

    Greetings everyone!

    Last Thursday we launched our game Balancelot (Steam page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035850/Balancelot/) and I wanted to share a little thoughts on our journey so far with fellow game developers.

    We were honored to have big (and small) streamers playing the game on launch day and during the launch week. (as an example: Forsen & Lirik) Because we're a small game development studio, this type of visibility feels SUPER AWESOME. Getting to the front page of Twitch and having 20-30k viewers at the same time, feels unreal.

    Not sure has anyone here experiences the same type of visibility before, but this sure was unexpected and new for our young development team. The surprise was, that this type of huge "visibility spike" did not affect the sales of the game that much. We've been figuring out different possible "problems" which would have caused the "low sales", but so far no success.

    Here is some "data" to share:

    - On launch day, we had over 1000 wishlists on Steam and a little less than 2000 demo downloads.

    - During launch week we got approximately 500 units sold

    - Game price 7,99$ with 25% discount (first week)

    - "Press Keys" were shared via email & using keymailer (approximately 1000 keys offered from which 100 were redeemed)

    So yeah, I guess I could write a wall-of-text from our journey so far, but right now just wanted to drop some notes here and ask for "guidance". If you have any thoughts on the game, which could affect the sales we would love to hear it!

    Oh and yeah, shameless promotion here at the end:

    The game is still on discount (25%) for some time now, so if you want to grab your Steam copy, you should do it now! :) You can do it right here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1035850/Balancelot/

    submitted by /u/Kossad
    [link] [comments]

    Our Progress a Year into Going Full-time Indie.

    Posted: 28 May 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    Free online course on how to start a career in games development - Starts 17th June

    Posted: 29 May 2019 04:15 AM PDT

    Learn how to make a trailer for your vehicle!

    Posted: 29 May 2019 01:15 AM PDT

    How do you design a “successor” or “tribute” game? Like Stardew Valley, Wargroove, Golf Story, or Freedom Planet.

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    A "successor" game is designed to be very similar to its source material, but these games also make plenty of changes. Parts are streamlined and pruned, other parts are extended and expanded. But there's also the danger of changing too much that you lose the things that made the source material great.

    What sorts of analysis or design philosophy works when developing a game like this?

    submitted by /u/BluShine
    [link] [comments]

    Re-implementing an old DOS game in C++ 17

    Posted: 29 May 2019 01:35 AM PDT

    Greetings GameDevs! Sharing my full audio library of assets to use in your projects. Includes 7 sound effect packs and 110+ music tracks (multiple genres/ready to use). All free to download, hope these come in handy. Cheers!

    Posted: 29 May 2019 07:57 AM PDT

    How do you keep a survival game interesting?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 05:19 AM PDT

    Hey guys, first of all I'm new to this subreddit and new to reddit in general, so if I mess up something, I'm sorry.

    So my question is, as the title says: How do you keep a survival game interesting?

    I mean, yes of course in a survival game the goal is to survive, but how do you motivate the player to survive?

    A story? Possibility to build something? What do you guys think?

    Let's just say a setting in a forest, I mean the best example would be "The Forest", but the "motivation" in my opinion is both: A story and the possibility to create stuff.

    But do you guys think a survival game, especially from one indie person, really needs a continous story? Or is storytelling through the beginning + for example notes/poster fine?

    And if not, how would you motivate the player?

    Thank you guys!

    submitted by /u/cpt_kuma
    [link] [comments]

    Island Maker | Forager Inspired

    Posted: 29 May 2019 12:16 PM PDT

    learning how to code

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:10 AM PDT

    Hey, I am pretty new when it comes to coding and game developing.... so my question is that where should I look on how to learn to code in an order where a beginner would comprehend and understand the basic to intermediate kinds of stuff when it comes to coding games (C# is my preferred language though) :>

    I watch different vid's and tutorials on how to code, however, I feel like that I am being stuck cause sometimes some of the stuff that I watched are advance and sometimes pretty hard to learn if you're starting though.

    please help me though

    thanks in advance :>

    submitted by /u/aisuruTori
    [link] [comments]

    Just released a sprite stack tool that I made for my own city builder game!

    Posted: 28 May 2019 04:22 PM PDT

    Crisp comic book-like cel shading in Void Bastards

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    I just came across this game on Steam and I'm totally enamored with the art style. If you haven't seen it yet, here's a gameplay preview from the devs. It's a super clever combination of 2D billboards and cel shading that achieve the feeling of playing a comic book better than any other game I've seen. It looks like the player's gun, enemies, and particle effects are 2D a la the original Doom, while the environment is 3D with some really slick cel shading. It's the latter that I'm trying to emulate.

    I've tried both using store assets and making my own cel shaders specifically to achieve this comic book-esque look and have never been able to get it quite right. There's always weird shadow artifacts and the outlines are never this crisp and even. Granted, the devs probably made their textures and models specifically to fit this style, rather than slapping the shader on other assets like I'm doing.

    If anyone has any experience with this type of thing that could give me some advice, it would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/brenananas
    [link] [comments]

    Making pixel art from 3D models | Blender 2.79

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:54 AM PDT

    Back with another video about staying motivated

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    A few questions about just starting in mobile game design.

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:57 AM PDT

    I'm feeling a little in over my head. I want to create a fairly simple, text-based adventure game for both iOS and Android. I am proficient in C++, I've dabbled in several other languages, and I don't have qualms about learning a new language if I need to. This is more of a passion project than a real investment, so I'm hoping to not spend money on a program or service (besides the developer fees to publish on app stores).

    Based on the research I've been doing, I'm currently leaning towards using either Unity or Unreal Engine. Do those seem like good options for what I'm doing? And more importantly, can I develop a game using one of those two programs, then directly publish it for both Android and iOS? If that isn't a capability of Unity or Unreal, is there a different program I should use? I'm on Windows 10, if that makes a difference, but I have access to Macs on my university campus if I have to use a Mac (although I couldn't download new software onto them). I appreciate any recommendations.

    submitted by /u/jmacdaddywack
    [link] [comments]

    Free UE4 lowpoly rocks and tree pack! 14 models in total! No strings attached!

    Posted: 29 May 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    working on intro animation for game Potata

    Posted: 28 May 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    Help with understanding software versioning; specifically Splatoon 2.

    Posted: 29 May 2019 12:33 PM PDT

    This tweet claims that Splatoon 2 (currently at version 4.8.0) will continue to be updated in the future until 5.0.0, based on a screenshot of its version list. Is this true? Or is it just a placeholder?

    submitted by /u/hoopderscotch
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you make your textures?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 12:32 PM PDT

    I'm curious, for a 3d game, where do you make your textures? Where do you get them converted from basic color to normal spec etc, and most importantly, do you pay for specific assets?

    I'm currently making my Own models in blenders and it's kinda hard to find the right texture for it, unless you can make it yourself which I am looking up now, any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/Tornado_Hunter24
    [link] [comments]

    Rafat Family - main assets

    Posted: 29 May 2019 06:32 AM PDT

    This is a personal project i've been working for a while, still on assets creation but this is my progression:

    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3orobE

    https://i.redd.it/umugw2qgk5131.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/uheky62hk5131.jpg

    submitted by /u/Rafael_Bicalho
    [link] [comments]

    What does &Class:Variable do in c++?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 08:37 AM PDT

    Hello,

    Was reading some code today and found that someone did &Class::Varaible in their code and I'm wondering what it does and what it's used for. Example to demonstrate:

    class a { public: int b; }; int main() { std::cout << &a::b << std::endl; } 

    Above example returns 1 in the console, and I'm wondering why? How does above code return a value when it's not even an initiated variable?

    So what is &Class::Varaible supposed to do and what's it supposed to be used for(or what can I use it for)?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/timl132
    [link] [comments]

    What is it like to be a game developer?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    Hello all!

    I'm a kid in high school, and I think game development sounds pretty fun! From the little experience I've had with it (very little), I think it's definitely something I'd consider as a career.

    But I haven't done much of it, and I have no idea what the industry is like. Could you guys tell me what the average day of a game developer is like? The highs and the lows? Any perspective (art, coding, etc.) is appreciated.

    Thank you guys so much!

    submitted by /u/DatOneRam
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment