• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 29, 2019

    Should I start over? learn programming

    Should I start over? learn programming


    Should I start over?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 07:43 PM PDT

    Hey everybody, just a quick question. I started doing freecodecamp.com about August or September last year and got about halfway through (up to the react/redux projects) until I hit a wall at the same time that I got really busy at work. Long story short I haven't really done any programming or learning in 4-6 months. Is it worth it to start over or should I pick up where I left off. I've sort of been perusing the notes I have and the stuff makes sense and I remember it, but it doesn't feel quite the same as it did when I was hitting it hard. I guess my question is, am I wasting time trying to pick back up where I left off or should I just sort of power through and go back to things that I don't remember clearly?

    submitted by /u/hform123
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner’s Guide

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:05 PM PDT

    I recently started a new job where I have to know the basic relationships of different languages, frameworks, back end vs front end vs full stack, what works together, etc and am doing my best to study it and keep it all straight. Does anyone have a suggestion on a place to find the best information on all of this? It's all so interesting but a lot to take in at first...

    Thanks in advance everyone!

    submitted by /u/alphakevin1287
    [link] [comments]

    Learning RPG?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of ways to practice RPG? I may have a job with the company I work for as an RPG programmer for the AS400 system, and I'd like to get up to speed in case i do get the job. I've researched ways to practice at home, but I think I have to have an AS400 system at home to do it.

    submitted by /u/theSparkyJB
    [link] [comments]

    How and where to learn all about installing packages and using the terminal on MacOS? Really frustrated about not being able to get started.

    Posted: 29 May 2019 04:44 PM PDT

    I'm a relatively new programmer and I recently tried to learn to use React.js. However, I need to install it using the terminal. I don't know what any of the terminal code such as 'pip sudo install' mean and I feel frustrated because I can't find resources to learn this. This has happened before and every new thing I want to learn requires me to understand the terminal in order to install stuff before I begin.

    So far I only know how to use IDEs to create simple program that then run on the IDE's console. Please help me find resources to learn all about installing these packages and using the shell/terminal on a MacOS so I can finally learn to build something tangible.

    submitted by /u/bruceleexdarwin
    [link] [comments]

    Please recommend a MOOC for Data Analytics

    Posted: 29 May 2019 11:42 PM PDT

    I'm currently taking this course on Udemy: Complete Python Bootcamp: Go from zero to hero in Python 3.

    The course is okay but it's quite slow and it starts out by building out the fundamentals. That is taking a bit too long. I've read numerous posts about how the best way to learn something is to try to build it. I want to learn in that same spirit but I need a little bit of hand holding.

    Can someone recommend a MOOC that walks you through the following steps (and kinda ignores the fundamentals for the time being):

    1. collect data
    2. clean data
    3. merge data
    4. exploratory data analysis
    5. visualize data
    submitted by /u/RogerSmithII
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] for loop that uses vectors. What does this line mean??

    Posted: 29 May 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    Super confused on this one line.

    double meanvalueFor(vector <Quadratic*> vec, double x) { double sum = 0; //accumulator for (int i = 0; i < vec.size(); i++) { sum += (*vec[i].valueFor(x); } } //sample method for reference from Quadratic class double Quadratic::valueFor(double x) { return (a*x*x + b*x + c); } 

    What does

    sum += (*vec[i].valueFor(x); 

    mean??

    I'm incredibly confused.

    Is it "value of vector at i, plugged into method valueFor using x"?

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    If someone gives you a github link to a library, how are you supposed to study and read it properly ?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 06:42 AM PDT

    I currently started my first programming internship and unfortunately I have a stupid question. One member of my team gave a me gitHub link that is a library, but for some reason I feel that I don't know how to properly read and digest gitHub library links. I see a bunch of folders like doc, source, tests, and I simply don't know how I can properly learn this library. I feel that some of the folders are useless or maybe I'm not reading it right. I do read the readme obviously but a lot of the times the readme is vague and I don't know what I'm looking at.

    Let me use this python library, paramiko, as an example:

    https://github.com/paramiko/paramiko

    There are lot of folders: docs, images, paramiko folder, etc. and I really don't know how to properly read and absorb this library. Instead I have to go to python document page on this library here:

    http://docs.paramiko.org/en/2.4/

    So someone at work gave me a company made python library. How can I properly use the gitHub link as a resource to help me learn the library better ?

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/binarySearch_recurse
    [link] [comments]

    How do I duplicate a javascript file and save variables?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 11:23 PM PDT

    I'm passing variables from a python script to a javascript file using Django.

    For example, my python script has pyVariable = "test" and it appears in the html file as <script> var importedPythonVariable = {{ pyVariable }}; </script> and then to the javascript file as alert(importedPythonVariable); which returns "test" on the web page.

    I want to duplicate the javascript file so I can use it separately from the python file and have it read alert("test"); instead of alert(importedPythonVariable).

    How would I do something like this?

    submitted by /u/oos_ll
    [link] [comments]

    How to find programming mentors?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 03:45 PM PDT

    I am a senior dev. How can I find mentors to reach the next level? I feel stuck now. I don't want to become a middle people manager.

    submitted by /u/OutrageousIdeal4
    [link] [comments]

    Struggles with server get using ionic

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:55 PM PDT

    Hello guys I'm using Ionic framework and express to comunicate between my application, a server API, and a javascript game. The game sends some information to the API using XMLHttpRequest and post and my application retrives this information using Http from angular/http.

    The post part works well and I'm able to send information to the server, but I'm struggling with the get part . The get method is called every time that my page is refreshed but at this time the game hasn't sent the data, and when it does the get method isn't called again, so I never get the data from the server.

    Can you help me ?

    the game send info like that :

    function sendFriendToInvite(friend, callback) { var req = new XMLHttpRequest(); req.open('POST', 'http://localhost:3001/sendInvite'); req.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'application/json'); req.send(JSON.stringify({friend: friend})); req.addEventListener('load', () => { console.log(req.responseText); var results = JSON.parse(req.responseText); //if(results.error) return console.log(results.error); if(callback) callback(results); }); req.addEventListener('error', (e) => { console.log('an error occured'); console.log(e); }); } 

    the server get and post method are :

    var friendToInvite; /**Send from the game**/ api.post('/sendInvite', function(req, res) { console.log("posts! " + req.body.friend); friendToInvite = req.body.friend; res.send({message: 'friend reçu'}) }); /**retrive by the application **/ api.get('/sendInvite', function(req, res) { console.log("get friend to invite"); res.json({friend: friendToInvite}); }); 

    the application get info like that :

    this.http.get('http://localhost:3001/sendInvite').pipe( map(res => res.json()) ).subscribe(response => { console.log('GET Response:', response); }); 
    submitted by /u/Mr_Shinbly
    [link] [comments]

    Java Help Pls

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:53 PM PDT

    So I have this method

    public void addCourse() {

    System.out.println("Enter course name: "); String cName = sc.nextLine(); System.out.println("Enter department: "); String deprT = sc.next(); System.out.println("Enter course code: "); int cCode = sc.nextInt(); System.out.println("Enter course section: "); byte cSec = sc.nextByte(); System.out.println("Enter position: "); int poS = sc.nextInt(); System.out.println("Enter instructor: "); String instruC = sc.nextLine(); $01ADTcourse newCourse = new $01ADTcourse(cName, deprT, cCode,cSec, instruC); for(int i = poS; i < courseArray.length; i++) //this places the course in the next available position if(courseArray\[poS\] != null) poS++; else courseArray[poS] = newCourse; System.out.println("Information has been inputed!"); } 

    Everytime I run the code, when it's time to get instructor name, it seems to jump over it.

    Can anyone help me out please?

    submitted by /u/livelife96
    [link] [comments]

    How to read lower-level source code without feeling totally lost?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:41 PM PDT

    As a beginner programmer, I frequently get stuck on reading other people's source code. I find myself overwhelmed with the vastness of it and having no roadmap to orient myself. I mostly dabble with C, though I know that similar reading techniques must apply for other languages too. So for the successful and experienced programmers out there: how do you suggest taking apart a foreign project and understanding it?

    submitted by /u/nanoman1
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me with a code snippet?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 10:12 PM PDT

    Don't know if this question belongs here.. But i encountered a weird thing.

    I'm required to find the output of the following code:

    void main() { char p="Difficult"; char c; c=++p++; print("%c", c) ; }

    So I couldn't understand what this meant..and ran it on codeblocks with the necessary changes.. But the problem is the console window is crashing and producing no output. I searched a bit and saw the output should be the +1increment of the first character in the word. But my question is why codeblocks is not generating an output? Is it something to do with the compiler or the code?

    Any help is highly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DazBoy11
    [link] [comments]

    Does this sound reasonable and is it a good way to see if programming is the right choice? Seen this add on reddit.

    Posted: 29 May 2019 03:57 PM PDT

    Preferred Convention: n < 10 or n <= 9

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:38 PM PDT

    I am a beginner, and I tend to use n<=9 rather than n<10. Is this all coder preference, or are there any optimization benefits to using n <10? It seems when using an or equal to sign you are adding a second testing operation, and therefore the code is not as concise as possible.

    Does it matter?

    submitted by /u/Anakin-Skyrunner
    [link] [comments]

    Closures.... :(

    Posted: 29 May 2019 03:31 PM PDT

    Nothing to see here, just trying to wrap my head around closures in Swift and so far it's murky at best.

    Carry on - just needed to vent! :D

    submitted by /u/ttreit
    [link] [comments]

    IDE for Learning Programming

    Posted: 29 May 2019 05:39 PM PDT

    I'm looking for the best IDE for a beginner to learn coding. I'm going to start off learning Python, but want to eventually learn C++ (and possibly Java and Swift). The only requirements are that it must work on Windows and macOS AND have integration with GitHub.

    submitted by /u/tp3208
    [link] [comments]

    Simple graphics programming

    Posted: 29 May 2019 01:48 PM PDT

    I would like to make my own game engine with only drawing very basics shapes to begin with and then build the engine from there up. What kind of languages or libraries would you all recommend?

    submitted by /u/EvilTeliportist
    [link] [comments]

    First start-to-end programming project??

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:08 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I just finished my first year of Computer Science at SFU. I've taken programming classes in Python and C/C++, and first year discrete math and calculus courses. I have also participated in a hackathon where I helped out with simpler functions. I want to start tackling full on coding projects.

    So far, the biggest program I have done was in python, and I implemented a program that analyzed data from past lottery draws and return averages, distribution and draw a graph (using turtle).

    So I guess I'm wondering about people's first "big" coding projects, or any advice you may have for me about tacking bigger projects.

    submitted by /u/ramnizzles
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Rotating part of a vector

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:04 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Quick question, is it possible to rotate part of a vector? For example: if I have a vector of size 16, can I do a single left rotation of the cells 12-15 independently of the rest of the vector? So that [12] = [13], [13]=[14]. [14]=[15], and [15]=[12]. Or do I have to do a manual swapping of the cells?

    submitted by /u/SuspiciousTreacle
    [link] [comments]

    LinkedLists - Javascript - How do I pass a linked list into my function as one of the parameters?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 09:02 PM PDT

    I'm doing some leetcode question and trying to do some testing for it. However my code isn't recognizing the inputs as linked lists. Is there a specific format I need to input them into the function as?

    var mergeTwoLists = function(l1, l2) { //create a new linked list. let head = new ListNode(0); //add a reference to the first node let prev = head; console.log(`l1: ${l1} ---- l2: ${l2}`); console.log(`l1.val: ${l1.val}, l2.val : ${l2.val}`); while (l1 !== null && l2 !== null) { if (l1.val < l2.val) { prev.next = l1; l1 = l1.next; } else { prev.next = l2; l2 = l2.next; } prev = prev.next; } if (l1 !== null) { prev.next = l1; } if (l2 !== null) { prev.next = l2; } return head.next; }; 

    mergeTwoLists([1,2,3],[1,2,3])

    submitted by /u/YoshiLickedMyBum69
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a repository of take home assignments given by companies?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    After grinding through LeetCode, DailyCodingProblem and likes of such, I am currently interested in doing take home puzzles/assignments. Has anyone maintained a repository or a webpage? I could only find the following https://www.swiftstack.com/careers

    https://homework.adhoc.team/assignments/

    submitted by /u/CormenLeisersonRives
    [link] [comments]

    [C++] Can anyone explain "This -->" used in this constructor?

    Posted: 29 May 2019 05:04 PM PDT

    Suppose I have a class called Quadratic and the following is a parametrized constructor:

    Quadratic::Quadratic(double a,double b,double c) { this->a = a; this->b = b; this->c = c; } 

    What does "this ->" do?

    As far as I understand it, you would "normally" do

    a=a; b=b; c=c; 

    But of course that wouldn't work so you have to use this -->. Why?

    submitted by /u/lotyei
    [link] [comments]

    Windows System Programming Fourth Edition

    Posted: 29 May 2019 08:42 PM PDT

    This book is from 2010. How useful is it for Windows 10?

    submitted by /u/SystemInterrupts
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment