• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 23, 2019

    Polishing our game DIVINATION, Unity 2dxfx is a really handy tool to make cool VFX

    Polishing our game DIVINATION, Unity 2dxfx is a really handy tool to make cool VFX


    Polishing our game DIVINATION, Unity 2dxfx is a really handy tool to make cool VFX

    Posted: 23 May 2019 03:22 AM PDT

    Zeus Project, my Unity school project

    Posted: 23 May 2019 05:08 AM PDT

    GitHub launches Sponsors, lets you pay your favorite open source contributors

    Posted: 23 May 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    SCOPE CREEP. Should I reduce my game's scope, keep trying, or give up entirely?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Hello all! I have been working on a 2D survival RPG game for about 7 months. Going into this, I was a complete newbie. I'm pretty good at pixel art but I've had to learn animation and programming from scratch. I picked up GMS 2 as my engine and I've learned a lot. My problem is that I brought friends onto the project to help with writing, concept art, sounds/music, etc and they were SUPER excited about the game and being part of it. This is great and totally not the problem! The problem is that in their excitement they suggested a bunch of new mechanics, storylines, more NPCs (more art), etc etc and in my excitement I ate it all up. We've announced our awesome game and its future mechanics to our discord of ~45 people and they LOVE it and can't wait. To be fair I won't sit here and put the blame entirely on my friends haha. My idea alone for the game was pretty ambitious before all the suggestions. :P

    After I tried and got stuck on a crafting system for the game, which is supposed to be a huge aspect of the game (survival, ya know?) I got super burnt out and felt pretty defeated so progress has been halted for... a few months. Anytime I would try touching the game to do anything, even some art, I just couldn't. Absolutely 0 motivation.

    I've been thinking lately that I just let the game's scope blow up way too much which is probably why I'm feeling this way. I don't have the programming skills necessary, or the time, or the money, or the team, to dedicate years of my life to this and it's bumming me out. Recently I started prototyping a new game idea using my existing art and using the existing theme/setting/plot summary of the game. I love the prototype as the core mechanics are very similar to a casual game I used to play all the time. My main issue is breaking this to my friends and my small following. I'm also hoping I'm not just falling into the trap of getting started on something shiny and new, then abandoning it later, over and over. Thoughts or advice for me? ):

    submitted by /u/Ravenbornes
    [link] [comments]

    Ability to write Javascript code directly into editor coming soon to Construct 3

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    Showing off the main menu and (what there is) of level 1

    Posted: 23 May 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    How can you make combatless exploration segments exciting?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    In RPGS like Dark Souls or Xenoblade or The Elder Scrolls combat keeps the exploration and wandering around places interesting, with occasional sidequests or mini objectives you can find. But just wandering around without any opposition or challenge in the gameplay eventually gets boring, how can you make combatless sections like cities fun to explore or be in if they take up a large amount of the game?

    submitted by /u/darkblade273
    [link] [comments]

    Apple removed my game from the app store because some company in China made a clone, trademarked the name we were already using, and then asked Apple to take down my game.

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:43 AM PDT

    The game is Clicker Heroes.

    This company, Shenzhen Lingyou Technology Co., Ltd., received a trademark for "点击英雄" in 2015 in China even though it was already being used in our game BEFORE they trademarked it.

    In 2014 (see the date on the page - 日期:2014-11-23), my game was already using "点击英雄":

    http://www.4399.com/flash/147709.htm

    Here is the 3rd party's trademark application: http://wsjs.saic.gov.cn/txnDetail.do?locale=zh_CN&request%3Aindex=2&request%3Atid=TID201502076251925784E278A62D728FFA0567ABB3A41&y7bRbP=KGDocqcp9RDp9RDp9KeG_7HvvYHkWX6jkClTZU5j1HWqqxl - which has a date of application of February 13, 2015. (They didn't wait long to steal it - less than 3 months!)

    But despite explaining this as clear as I could to Apple and the 3rd party, Apple sided with the cloners and took my game down. We don't have the resources to fight a legal trademark battle in China so I guess that's the end of our game there.

    submitted by /u/Fragsworth
    [link] [comments]

    Enhancing my pet game project with CastleDB

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:25 AM PDT

    A quick follow up video on how I gave some shine to my key that I previously drew!

    Posted: 23 May 2019 08:02 AM PDT

    A free dance track to use for your game music

    Posted: 23 May 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Spine2d animated illustration for game intro

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:05 AM PDT

    Completed design & art for one of the levels in our upcoming game, Mirador. Any feedback? :)

    Posted: 22 May 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    Got my first game out of Early Access and into full release!

    Posted: 22 May 2019 03:39 PM PDT

    Average cost of a nice graphic design?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:40 AM PDT

    I am planning to make myself a browser mobile game where an airplane flies and hits objects. With something like ~500 characters/objects.

    Can anyone point me to an approximate budget for this for the graphic design? Also, do I have to pay for animations to the designer as well more (I guess I will do the animations with Phaser but I still need approximate sprites, right?)

    If someone can recommend me a good experienced designer for this would be awesome. I googled quite a lot and barely found just a few on Behance which does not seem easy to work with.

    Many thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Shindarov
    [link] [comments]

    Do you know any communities based on platformer genre?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Does anyone knows a community (forums etc.) that revolves around platformers (or perhaps similar arcade style games) where people discuss and share new games? I wonder if it is possible to reach a more small and dedicated audience for some extra testing & marketing of my game, while being able to see what people talk about current games in the genre.

    I know I know... I'm making another 2d platformer which is possibly doomed in the crowd of games, but I guess there is no harm in asking.

    There is r/platformer and several others, but they don't seem much active. Also I'm not even sure my post will show up in reddit (including this one), because my account was not active for 4 years, and I've just decided to start posting.

    Basically, I wonder if there is a forum similar to rpgcodex (for rpg's), or fuwanovel (for visual novels) but catered to arcade-y experiences. It can also be a sub-forum under a completely different community, or a discord channel where promotion (or simply talking about your game) is not strictly forbidden.

    submitted by /u/UmutD
    [link] [comments]

    Ominous audio?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:34 AM PDT

    So, I'm still working on some audio, and I need some help. I wanted to make a more- ominous song for a location (Most likely a graveyard or rainy forest) and I'm not sure how to do it. I've made a simple base for it, but I cant seem to get any farther. I do have a simple 'rain' sound (Using simple white noise), but I'd like to see if anyone knew a better 8-bit rain sound I guess? I'm not the best at explaining, so I hope this is even slightly understandable.

    submitted by /u/Kimorah
    [link] [comments]

    An interview with solo gamedev Primož Vovk, Courier of the Crypts

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    Best engine for a platformer/runner?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    So, what the title says, what engine works best for a platformer or top down runner? I mean, i could use unity or something but is there any engine exclusively for platformers?

    submitted by /u/lockout18yt
    [link] [comments]

    Titanium Hound - first test drive.

    Posted: 23 May 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    Interaction Loop Diagrams

    Posted: 23 May 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Is there a formalized way to describe the interaction loop in a game, taking into account possible player actions, game reactions etc.?

    I want to visualize player engagement, sort of where the carrot on the stick is...

    submitted by /u/FFloatingPointt
    [link] [comments]

    It is possible to work in the field of video games, without liking these that much?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    First of all I apologize in advance for my grammar, I am not native-English.

    Since I was a kid I've messed with computers and from an early age I've played the typical multi-player games like CS, CoD, BF, WoW, SC2... And in recent years Hearthstone and LoL. But now since a few months ago I don't play anything. I've never really liked games with history or anything other than multiplayer/competitive.

    I'm a freshman at Computer Science, I love my career even though I've practically touched very little of what I like. Long story short, I recently watched a video of how developers work in the video game studios. And now it all fits together.

    When I was young I devoted many hours to "Cinema4d" and "Photoshop" I loved being creative and design, and recently I realized that I love programming. They are two things that when I do them I can spend hours and I hardly look at the mobile. So according to my impression, gamedev is a mixture of 3d design and programming (if I'm not right feel free to correct me).

    But I have the doubt if it is possible to work in the field of video games, without liking these that much?

    submitted by /u/RealisticLevel
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment