• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 23, 2019

    Finally completed Automate the boring stuff w/ Python! learn programming

    Finally completed Automate the boring stuff w/ Python! learn programming


    Finally completed Automate the boring stuff w/ Python!

    Posted: 22 May 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    Just completed a month of reading through chapters and solving projects in automate the boring stuff with python by Al Sweigart, to get test/improve my python programming skills. I made a Github Repo with my project solutions.

    In case anyone else goes through the same process and needs something to compare to.

    submitted by /u/supreme_kenzo
    [link] [comments]

    Pig Latin Translator (Python)

    Posted: 22 May 2019 06:24 PM PDT

    So I've created a code to translate words into pig latin, and it works perfectly except when there's only one letter entered into the input, which causes it to put "way" at the end even when there's a consonant. I'm not really sure where the issue is in the code, and sometimes it even works properly, but not all the time, which is very confusing to me. Here's the code: (https://pastebin.com/9BmQdCzJ)

    submitted by /u/Marvelintio
    [link] [comments]

    Do people who grind Leetcode read the solutions if they're stuck for more than 30 minutes?

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:55 AM PDT

    I was reading a thread from /r/cscareerquestions about effective Leetcode tips and I was surprised this is something people do: Try to solve something and if they cannot solve it, look up the solutions, give it a few days then re-attempt the problem on their own.

    There are other tips as well but this is the first time I see people talking about "looking it up". Is this really considered a good idea?

    submitted by /u/DefyTheDice
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling at self learning

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:47 AM PDT

    I'm currently reading Bjarne Stroustrup's PPP book and I was stumped on chapter 4 exercise 6, where I have to convert spelled-out numbers into their digit form and vice versa in the same program and input loop. I just can't get my head on how should I do it on the same input loop and I was tempted to look for an answer. But when I searched and saw the answer I felt so guilty and I felt so stupid because it was so simple and I am thinking that if I can not solve this problem on my own then I am not cut out for this. I am so demotivated right now. But I want to look on the brighter side that I at least learn a lesson on how to do things. Am I being unreasonable if I want to learn c++ or should I learn an easier language. But I felt like my problem right now is not about the language I'm learning but on my logical reasoning and problem solving skills.

    submitted by /u/Smidge08
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help a complete noob?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 10:21 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I'm 23 years old and I've spent the last 6 years of my working career working in insurance sales and haven't really enjoyed a singled second of it but have always wanted to move into the software development field but have always been afraid to go out of my comfort zone.

    I've finally decided now's the right time! But I really need some help getting started.

    I have been using freecodecamp to learn some of the basics but realised they offer 6 different certificates

    1. Responsive web design certification
    2. JavaScript algorithms and data structures certification
    3. Front end libraries certification
    4. Data Visualization certification
    5. APIs and microservices certification
    6. Information security and quality assurance certification

    Each of these is supposedly 300 hours long so I'd really like a hand at which one to get started on to set me on the path to employment.

    Any help is massively appreciated and also if you have any other tips I'd be really happy to hear them.

    I'll be learning in weekends and any spare time throughout the week as I still need to hold down a job for bills until I can break into this field.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/slipperynorman
    [link] [comments]

    ASP help

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:40 AM PDT

    Title. If any of you could link me to a website or a tutorial or anything really I would appreciate it. I really need help with ASP.

    submitted by /u/ErnstChe
    [link] [comments]

    A casual hackathon-like competition online (beginner orientated).

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:36 AM PDT

    Hi there, I love hackathons but I find it a shame there isn't a contest that's casual and easy to join for new startups. So...I created a discord server just right now where members can submit their startup ideas and share their progress. When the contest ends, we can find some judges to rank the entries and hopefully some sponsors for prizes.

    I'll try to expand the server by finding some mentors as well. Feel free to join the discord server!

    https://discord.gg/qpCCMw8

    submitted by /u/johnprem
    [link] [comments]

    My first junior interview and I feel overwhelmed

    Posted: 22 May 2019 12:40 PM PDT

    Hi guys,

    as in title, today I was in my first coding invterview for a junior developer position and oh boy what was that?

    If company says in an ad that they use java 8 should I really know how algorythms for garbage collector works? Or what plugins made maven top java technology?

    Do you guys feel like those question were a little over the top? Should I pause mu job hunting and go back to studying those details?

    submitted by /u/Gekonexx
    [link] [comments]

    How can i write handwritten notes AND copy snippets of my code?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 08:27 PM PDT

    is there any app that does this. i use Evernote but it takes forever to write notes. i like handwriting notes but if its on paper, it will take forever to find them. so i was thinking of using a tablet and using a app to write notes and copy paste code (can be in pic form or actual code). Im trying to take notes to learn web development. how did u guys take notes for learning new languages? i hate taking note on the code because its hard to look for the important stuff.

    EDIT: sorry for the bad title didnt get a chance to change it

    submitted by /u/MRK-01
    [link] [comments]

    Can scripting jobs land you a good salary?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 06:13 PM PDT

    What I've realized throughout my learn programming path, scripting is so much easier to take in for me.

    I'm not sure if it's that way for everybody or what but right now I'm learning powershell to automate all of my level one help desk tasks. I've created a dozen+ scripts and have learned a lot about powershell. When I tried to learn java or c++ I always gave up the 10+ times I've tried.

    Learning java or c++ all I could really do was follow video tutorials and copy code. I couldn't ever think of my own stuff to build to practice other than a GUI that says hello world. (I read the FAQ and saw /r/DailyProgrammer which I'll def be checking out)

    With powershell, I still have another 100 script ideas I can make and learn in the process since I'm applying it to real life. It's also easier because scripts achieve one purpose. I'm not designing a video game or a tool that interacts with a DB etc. the calls I get at my job some are 3 step processes some are like 25 step processes. And then once the process is complete I still have to type up my ticket of all the work and steps I did.

    My scripts do all of the work and they copy all of the steps+results of each step to the clipboard so all I have to do is CTRL V on my ticket notes.

     

    I think PS is easier for me Too because the syntax is easier. if I want to create a function I just type in

    Function dostuff{}.

    In java that would be

    public static void main(String[] args) 

    Call me crazy dumb but the first one seems way more straight forward and less to take in.

     

    I love making the scripts. It feels like art creating a masterpiece that saves me probably 2 hours of work a day. So I want to continue down that path. But can I make a career out of it? I'm thinking of mastering powershell first and then going after python rather than trying java again. If I can't find any scm roles with powershell I'm hoping I can find something for python like 80k+ that isn't senior.

    submitted by /u/Dictionarycat
    [link] [comments]

    Intro to NumPy under 10 minutes

    Posted: 23 May 2019 12:09 AM PDT

    So you're trying to do operations on large multidimensional arrays but everything is taking too long.

    Someone asked you to use whatever an ndarray is but you're clueless?

    I made a quick 10-minute intro to NumPy to get you started.

    P.S. I'm adding a friend link here so you can read on medium without a subscription.

    https://medium.com/@kaaanishk/a-beginners-guide-to-numpy-251cdc6e0fd7?source=friends_link&sk=651f5f602dc8abf12882f83626cf4044

    submitted by /u/kaaanishk
    [link] [comments]

    Learning journals

    Posted: 22 May 2019 06:07 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I"m wondering - are you using learning journals? Are you keeping track of what you are learning? If you would like to try it, let me know. I have built a tool that will help with this in electronic way. For now it's responsive web app, but PWA and Native app will be soon. I would like to get some early feedback on whether someone finds the app useful...

    submitted by /u/walkercsx
    [link] [comments]

    How to Docker on Rails

    Posted: 22 May 2019 11:55 PM PDT

    You were asked to dockerize your ruby app but don't know where to start? This article might be helpful :) https://www.2n.pl/blog/how-to-docker-on-rails

    submitted by /u/lukrzrk
    [link] [comments]

    What are some codes that showcase the best use of design patterns?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 11:42 PM PDT

    As the title says. I want to study some code that showcases the best use of modern design patterns. If it also shows the best of use of OOP then it'd be icing on the cake.

    submitted by /u/zindarod
    [link] [comments]

    Generating test data for graph

    Posted: 22 May 2019 11:42 PM PDT

    Hi!

    Am currently writing a report on a program I've produced to analyse graphs, and was wondering what the best way to produce testing graphs would be (for the purpose of analysing times, for example how long it takes to find the shortest path between points x and y in a graph with 1/5/10/100/1000/10000 vertices/edges).

    The vertices will have to be strings, but I'll just use numbers (and add " ")...

    My idea is to use randInt or something similar to create graphs (for example) with *x* vertices and a set number of *y* edges coming out of each, but I'm not sure of the best method to do so. I essentially need to print the vertices (numbers) to be linked every two lines, for example:

    0

    2

    3

    5

    2

    1

    Would mean that there is an edge between 0 and 2, between 3 and 5, and between 2 and 1. Happy to use java/python/C...

    Any ideas would be great! Thanks

    submitted by /u/soswap
    [link] [comments]

    Data science coding bootcamps: Which are the most reputable (and other questions)?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 12:19 PM PDT

    About me: I'm 28, I've got $12k saved up, some basic Python experience, and I'm in between jobs. All I want to know is which coding bootcamps are good and which ones are flaming piles of shit? Willing to relocate to anywhere except the Bay Area. I'm looking to break into data science, but I've got no previous experience in statistics, should I just start with a full stack web development course or a statistics course beforehand?

    submitted by /u/umnz
    [link] [comments]

    Learning Programming struggle

    Posted: 22 May 2019 12:59 PM PDT

    Hello!
    I'm studying computer science and engineering and I want to share my bad(it's not really bad but I experience frustration with a certain chapter) experience with this class ( Introduction to Algorithms class to be more precise). This class is about Greedy, Divide and Conquer, Backtracking, Dynamic Programming Algorithms. Soooo, I've studied Greedy, Backtracking D&C and I've understood them, but now I'm learning about DP and I swear I have no idea how to start to think about a DP question, I know what DP is about, things like Memoization, I know the "recipe" about solving a problem, but I don't really have an idea to start writing code and solve the problem. And it is very frustrating and it makes me very anxious and sad about my future. I think about a lot of bad things like not getting a good foundation for algorithms and this thing that can make me a mediocre programmer and I start comparing me to other students (this thing is another bad one, ik, but I want to give you an image to my experience). And now I want to ask you, what was your experience about struggle and frustration and how did you managed to overcome it?

    submitted by /u/teko87
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know when you know enough?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 04:32 PM PDT

    I am 32 years old and in school for Computer Science with a focus on Software Engineering. This is going to be a career change for me. I just want to know, that when I finish my degree (1.5 years left) I will be ready for an entry level position. How do I know? Are there programming "tests" online? Any suggestions or information anyone could provide will be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/bosheem
    [link] [comments]

    How to maximize learning time without burning out?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 10:08 PM PDT

    Hey guys just curious how you've found ways to maximize your learning/practicing time programming without burning out from increases in the amount of time you spend on it. Currently I've been putting in about 20 hours a week of self-study with school and have been loving my time spent on it. I'm super fortunate that I don't have too much going on this summer so I would love to increase my time to like 35-40 hours a week, but I do worry that it'll burn me and Ill grow to resent programming or that it will be unsustainable and Ill drop back to minimal hours or just stop completely. Im curious what strategies you guys have used to increase your study time without losing your love and interest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Also to note please correct me because this might be the wrong question to ask and wrong kind of thing to focus on. Personally I feel that the quality of the time you spend learning/practicing is most important, but I also feel like putting in more hours has its place too.

    submitted by /u/pythonftw44
    [link] [comments]

    HyperionDev online bootcamp?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 06:22 PM PDT

    Has anyone been through HyperionDevs online bootcamp? Seriously considering them or Covalence.

    submitted by /u/RadioactiveAlien
    [link] [comments]

    [debugging help] A weird problem that causes an infinite loop in Javascript

    Posted: 22 May 2019 10:03 PM PDT

    I got this Pastebin. CIS means cash in the drawer. It runs as normal until it gets to 'DIME'.

    https://pastebin.com/raw/YL5RdaFA .

    const aloha =
    [["PENNY", 1.01],
    ["NICKEL", 2.05],
    ["DIME", 3.1],
    ["QUARTER", 4.25],
    ["ONE", 0],
    ["FIVE", 0],
    ["TEN", 0],
    ["TWENTY", 0],
    ["ONE HUNDRED", 0]]

    getChange(0.20, aloha) (worked)

    getChange(0.25, aloha) (worked)

    getChange(0.3, aloha) (NOT working)

    getChange(0.35, aloha) (NOT working)

    submitted by /u/TriLamSr
    [link] [comments]

    My visual studio says: Error BC30420 'Sub Main' was not found

    Posted: 22 May 2019 09:33 PM PDT

    Module myfunctions Function factorial(ByVal num As Integer) As Integer ' local variable declaration */ Dim result As Integer

     If (num = 1) Then Return 1 Else result = factorial(num - 1) * num Return result End If End Function Sub Main() 'calling the factorial method Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 6 is : {0}", factorial(6)) Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 7 is : {0}", factorial(7)) Console.WriteLine("Factorial of 8 is : {0}", factorial(8)) Console.ReadLine() End Sub 

    End Module

    My visual studio 2019 says 'Sub Main' was not found in 'ConsoleApp5.Module1'.

    I used visual basic .Net console application

    and if this programming logic is correct. How does it get the factorial? because factorial function takes argument num then subtracts 1 and multiplies the value to num. For example, if num = 4. Then it should be (num-1) * num which is (4-1)*num= 3x4 = 12

    and after which it returns the value to result. How do we obtain the factorial.

    submitted by /u/gundruk08
    [link] [comments]

    Why can Go be used for System Programming when Python can't?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 09:32 PM PDT

    Go was released in 2009

    Python was released in 1991

    Following is what I know/assume to be correct (do correct me, as per need) 1)It is my belief that system programming is a low level field, so naturally one would have to use a language like C or some old Language from the 60s.

    2)It is probably because low level machine can't handle the abstraction level python provides.

    3)And also that since python is a new language, no system supports it as much as a system supports old language like C


    Hence why is it that a language created in2009 can be used for system programming, which is a low level subject?

    submitted by /u/DarthFarious
    [link] [comments]

    [node] How can I get npm install to install in current directory?

    Posted: 22 May 2019 09:27 PM PDT

    It was fine yesterday but when I try to use "npm install" today it automatically installed it onto my desktop instead of the current directory. the package-lock.json and package.json files are also installed onto my desktop. if I drag the node_modules folder into my current directory any other module i install also automatically go into desktop/node_modules and I can't use any of the modules. I also have some scripts in ./package.json but when I try to run the script, it gives me the error missing script.

    EDIT: FIXED, I had to change the DEFAULT location for cmd prompt for some reason

    submitted by /u/dizzyflames
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment