• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 17, 2019

    Daily Chat Thread - March 17, 2019 CS Career Questions

    Daily Chat Thread - March 17, 2019 CS Career Questions


    Daily Chat Thread - March 17, 2019

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Big N Discussion - March 17, 2019

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about the Big N and questions related to the Big N, such as which one offers the best doggy benefits, or how many companies are in the Big N really? Posts focusing solely on Big N created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    There is a top-level comment for each generally recognized Big N company; please post under the appropriate one. There's also an "Other" option for flexibility's sake, if you want to discuss a company here that you feel is sufficiently Big N-like (e.g. Uber, Airbnb, Dropbox, etc.).

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Sunday and Wednesday at midnight PST. Previous Big N Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I made a post a year ago about applying to 500 places with no response and wanted to let you know what happened.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:56 AM PDT

    I made a post a long time ago on this subreddit about being homeless after the house I lived in was condemned and sleeping in my car and having no where to go and no where to turn to. Shortly after that post things went from bad to worse as I feel into a deep deep depression and I decided to end it all and tried to kill myself by jumping off a bridge, I chickened out and left my car and and all of my possessions in the car and just ran away from everything.

    I basically was an actual hobo for about 5 months and made my way to Chicago with what little money I had left and just sat around there begging for change, eating out of the trash, wishing i could die. Eventually one thing led to another and I called and talked to my family for the first time in what seems like forever over the phone and they drove out and picked me up and drove me home. I stayed with them for a few months until I was moderately better, one of my old friends messaged me that he started a painting business and he wanted me to work for him so I went and I am currently working for. I make $19/hr and I live in a studio apartment now. I realize I only ever did CompSci as a major because I wanted a high paying job and was never passionate or good at it and coasted off the work of others through college. I'm probably never going to have a CompSci job, but I'm okay with that. For now I'm just happy to have a good paying job and have heat, shelter, food, and internet. My insomnia is getting better with medication and my depression occasionally flares up, but I'm doing a lot better

    https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/73nyjr/ive_applied_to_over_500_jobs_and_not_a_single/

    submitted by /u/nojob1yeardead
    [link] [comments]

    If "top-tier tech companies" are so much better than everything else, why do many employees leave them and never look back?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:00 PM PDT

    I've been interviewing with multiple small and mid-sized companies and startups in the Bay area, where I seem to meet a very large number of engineers who were formerly at "top-tier tech companies".

    These engineers left "top tier tech", not looking back, and found employment in decidedly non-top-tier companies and startups. Not just unicorns either - many of them work in companies you've never heard of.

    What's confusing me is that there's a pervasive perception, here and in many other similar forums across the web, that there's a well-defined set of "top-tier tech companies" which are in a league of their own, far and above all other, "lower-tier" companies and startups where so many ex-top-tech engineers eventually land.

    By this perception, any engineer at the top-tier would fight tooth and nail to remain in that tier. They might hop between different companies at that tier, but they'll strictly avoid a "downgrade" to anything "lower".

    Is the common glowing perception of "top-tier tech" simply inflated? Are there any other factors at play here? Else, why would "top-tier tech" engineers be so content to leave the supposed "top tier" behind, and settle down in "lower tier" companies without looking back?

    submitted by /u/CompSki
    [link] [comments]

    Recent computer science graduate unsure about what to do next.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 05:28 PM PDT

    I've graduated a few months ago with a bachelors degree in computer science however I'm sort of lost as to what I should be doing next. Unfortunately I wasn't prudent enough to make many projects in my own free time and I'm not at all confident to step foot into the working world, especially if its software engineering. As of right now, I have no work experience so I'm trying to get some sort of entry level job in data entry until I can find another job applicable to programming. I have some *very* small projects that aren't very presentable. The biggest ones are a crummy pong game and another personal and simple "game" that's a 2D side scrolling platformer that was just a means of implementing standard features I wanted in the game. I'm currently taking a course on Udemy to learn how to work in Unreal Engine and following along in creating the projects, but I feel like progression is slow and it would be a long ways away before I can even fathom working for a company as a game programmer. Not to mention the difficulty curve will spike up definitely since I'm only working with the basics and not developing any sort of complex or sophisticated systems for games and I'm not sure if I'm smart enough to handle it. It all seems so daunting especially seeing what everyone else is capable of producing. I'm having doubts about spending my time trying to learn game development for now at least, and right now considering web development. However I have little to no experience with web development. The fullest extent I've done to make a website was for a project for my database class where I made little PHP files using VERY MINIMAL PHP, JQuery, SQL, and HTML. I'm not sure what I should be doing right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Eurim
    [link] [comments]

    Miserable in IT Consulting, looking to move out and go into software engineering / frontend design

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:34 PM PDT

    23 years old, graduated July 2018

    I work at a large tech company as an IT consultant but I am not passionate about the product or the other products our company sells. The work itself is dry/mundane, stressful, and the culture is stale corporate. 10 months on the job.

    I have an IS degree with 3 different app dev internship/co-ops. Although I have Python, JS (jQuery), HTML5, PHP, Java under my belt, I know React and Agile are what's "in" and I have been doing some online courses on them plus Swift for fun.

    How hard is it going to be for me to find a job and what should I be looking for exactly if I am interested in designing the UI of applications and building them out ... as that's what my internships were. Do I need to start off Entry Level and build my way up?

    What's the best plan? Has anyone done something similar?

    submitted by /u/GP__2
    [link] [comments]

    I got kicked out?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 10:15 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    Philosophical question here

    I'm working at fortune 500 company in position of a business analyst for a 1.5 year. Recently my position was evaluated and ranked up to Senior business analyst. Thus, i needed to pass an assessment in order to get this position. There 4 people who were applying to this position and i didn't make it. Feedback was that i'm not confident enough to hold senior position. And i got very upset, after everything i did for this position to improve it. I build a lot of processes from nothing, made them effective. And now once everything works perfect they decided to not let me progress and took it away from me. So new person just came to everything ready. I feel like i was betrayed. They offered me a temporary position for 6 month to teach new guy and walk him through everything with 60% of Senior Business analyst salary.

    Should i accept it? Or they dumped me. Pay is very decent though even if it's 60%

    Should i train new guy very well?

    submitted by /u/mantis387
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone do audio programming?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 05:16 PM PDT

    Does anyone here do audio programming? As in - working for Steinberg, Native Instruments, Avid, etc?

    I'm just a CS student, but I'm really curious what the process is to go in that direction.

    submitted by /u/PianoConcertoNo2
    [link] [comments]

    Is it bad to take a lower position for a while if you been senior for years?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:04 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    Been in the dev for 20 odd years, and lately I feel the majority of job opportunities are looking for developers to be more or less experts in what used to be multiple roles years ago. More so, it seems that the ability to get a mid to senior level position where you join and spend a few months coming up to speed with the product/architecture/etc are gone. At least, the perception is that you basically need to have a PR ready to go day 1, or maybe week 1 and pushing multiple PRs every week.

    What I find difficult to deal with now that I am looking for a job again, is that in the last couple of years while I was comfortable doing my JAva/Spring stuff with JDK 8 (and not even using JDK 8 features yet due to the amount of older JDK 5/6/7 code and work load), that the requirements of developers has drastically changed. It is as if you now need to be learning languages, frameworks, and more all the time, and if you dont, you are pretty much going to find it difficult to continue getting hired.

    I've posted elsewhere, I already suck at whiteboard stuff, and without a paycheck, I am really in need of a job soon, so its not like I can spend 3 to 6 months learning leetcode to try to get hired. I will be living in a card board box in 2 months or less.

    So, I am wondering.. if maybe I should try to just land a entry to mid level job, one that isnt as "demanding" in the interview process. I feel like if I go in and tell them, yah, my skills stagnated the past couple years, and I havent been able to land senior roles, and need a job, that that line, even though it is honest and true, will have potential employers throwing me out the door, like how the hell is it possible I didnt keep up with the massive change in skills required today? But I know from reading here and elsewhere, that a LOT of developer the world over get stuck in these sort of "same day to day" roles for years on end. When you put in 60 to 80 hours a week, and have a family it makes it REALLY hard to find much time to continue to learn, contribute to open source, etc.

    So while I am trying to update my skills, read some of those "cracking the interview" books, and study leetcode, I fear I am running out of time (and money).

    One last slightly relevant question here.. many of my friends/family tell me to just go get a job at Starbucks or something, that some money is better than none. However my present way of life (due to some poor money management) has me in a position where I would need to work 3 full time jobs like that to just barely get by.. obviously that isnt going to work anyway, but even 1 job, making about 1/10 what I used to, doesnt help at all in terms of my monthly financial obligations but more so, I feel like if I took a job like that, I would have a very difficult time finding time off to go interview which typically take hours, and more so, I would essentially not want to disclose that I work there on my resume as I think it would end my career.

    Appreciate any thoughts/those of you in similar situations.

    submitted by /u/jobhunter123abc
    [link] [comments]

    New grad PM vs SWE pay?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    I'm a sophomore interning at FAANG (in engineering) this summer but I'm contemplating whether to recruit for PM or SWE next summer and FT. I've been interested in PM for a while now but I could not find solid comparisons between SWE and PM new grad pay. I've seen some of the crazy new grad SWE offers here but nothing on PM (Google APM, FB RPM, and other top PM programs)

    PS: inb4 someone says "money shouldn't be a factor", well I come from a working class family and money is a big factor for me.

    submitted by /u/bearishanimal
    [link] [comments]

    Was told that my last day will be April 31 (due to major layoff) - Another team in the company thinks I am good fit and invited me to meet the team -- what do I expect? How to prepare?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:12 PM PDT

    I was told that I was gonna be laid off. Official last day of work was gonna be last day of April. My ex-manager and ex-director said to me that this was not based on performance, but we just need to lay off people ( a lot apparently ).

    A position opened up, and my ex-manager & colleagues thought I would be a good fit, so they referred me. This week, this new team, for this new position at the same company, invited me to meet with them for 1 hour. They made it seem like it will be an internal transfer, since I am technically still working there.

    What should I expect? And how do I give a good first impression so that these guys give me an offer?

    submitted by /u/throwawiwoway
    [link] [comments]

    SDET Role Disguised as Robotics Engineering?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 05:46 PM PDT

    I recently accepted a role at a local startup that focuses on robotic products. Upon inquiring about the specifics of the task that I'd be assigned, they said that my main role would be to: develop software infrastructure to help assist their current testing process and create a framework to present test data better. Is this an SDET role? Even though the job title is Robotics Engineer I'm worried about how I'm going to market the experience since I'd like to be doing SWE work.

    submitted by /u/brownsherlock
    [link] [comments]

    anyone else stop caring about their GPA once they found out it doesn't help you get jobs?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:35 PM PDT

    I am a 3rd year with a 3.7 GPA, I am on track to complete a 4-year degree in three years. I work very hard at school. I made sure that my GPA reflected this.

    I realized that GPA doesn't actually mean shit when getting a job, and that I'd much rather spend my time learning practical skills.

    I've done well in all my data structures and algorithm courses and I feel like the knowledge I gained from that has made me an expert in leetcode style questions. I'm not struggling in technical interviews, I do well on those. It's the lack of experience and practical skills that I feel hold me back.

    Anyone else who had high GPA suddenly adopt a "Cs get degrees" mentality and say fuck it to your GPA and just focus on getting a job (because ultimately thats what matters)

    edit: also I know the answer to a problem of one extreme is seldom going to the opposite extreme so I am not planning on literally getting all C's in my courses, if I end the semester with a 3.0 thats fine with me (ex: going for Bs in my courses instead of As)

    submitted by /u/fzbzz
    [link] [comments]

    Current CS Junior: Feeling Down But Hopeful About The Future

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:12 PM PDT

    To start with, I guess I should explain my thought process over the last couple years in college. In my freshman year of college, I had convinced myself that I was going to be going into pre-med so I loaded myself with biology and chemistry courses. I did quite well with pre-med, maintaining a 3.9 after my freshman year even after taking organic chemistry.

    However, my brother, who is the same age as me, was at the same college and was also aspiring to be pre-med. But let me tell you, this man was INTO it. He lived, breathed, and slept medicine. He was subscribed to medical pages on reddit, would watch videos of surgeries for fun, and was set to get his EMT license that summer to volunteer at the fire department. After taking a long look at myself, I realized that that life was not for me and I did not want it as badly. I knew I was only in pre-med for the money and did not actively want to pursue a career in medicine because I cared about helping others.

    One of my only passions is video games and computers. I had always loved technology from a young age so I figured computer science was a great fit for me. I saw that it had a lot of math and kinda just brushed it off even though I have always been unbelievably bad at math. I made the change my fall semester sophomore year and haven't looked back since.

    While this major hasn't been particularly easy for me, I can say with confidence that I do love programming and like knowing how computers work. This isn't going to be a thread where I regret my life decisions over my chosen major in college and ask if there's anything I can do to find my true passion in life.

    When I changed my major, I just assumed there were so many CS jobs needed in America combined with the fact that I go to a pretty prestigious university (top 30), I would just be offered jobs right out of college and top tech giants like google and amazon would come to me begging on their hands and knees just for a chance to have me. The farther I get along, the more I realize that is not the case at all with CS and it is just as difficult to get a job in this field as it is with any other.

    Because of my late entry into the game, I have had to work really really quickly to get through my major on time. Because of my unfortunate middle class placement on the economic ladder (too well off to get financial aid, too poor to actually pay for college) and the limited lifespan of a GI bill split between 3 kids all going to college at the same time, I can't possibly stay at school any longer than the 4 years allotted to me.

    The issue with this is that my school has a pretty small CS department and is notorious for offering classes necessary to graduate only during specific semesters. I've also always been on the slower side when it comes to learning and I tend to get overwhelmed by classes and workloads very easily. Luckily I came to school with lots of AP credits so I have the liberty of being able to take 12 credit semesters but because of the difficulty of most computer science classes, I can only take 2 of them per semester or else my GPA will definitely dip even more than it already has. Because of this, I've designed my courseloads for every semester meticulously, making sure to take certain classes as prerequisites exactly when they are offered because if I wait even one semester without taking an absolutely necessary class, that puts me another year behind the game.

    Why I'm telling y'all all this is, because of all these factors, I have to take 2 summer classes so I can graduate on time: Software Development (traditionally the most difficult programming class offered at a lower level) and Linear Algebra (which I don't necessarily have to take over the summer but I would like to so that I don't overload myself with STEM classes in the fall; as I said earlier, I'm REALLY bad at math and would rather take this without the stress of other classes). Luckily I can take them both online so I can still hold a job but this finally brings me to another issue: I couldn't find an internship this summer.

    It's not like I haven't been trying: I've been applying to internships ever since December. Because of my financial situation, I couldn't apply to any big companies out of state or far from home so I could only apply to places nearby. I live in a pretty small city most recently voted one of the worst metropolitan areas for tech graduates so this does not help my cause. Last summer, I worked for the not so well known marine engine subsidiary of a very well known European car company in a town 45 minutes away from mine. It was honestly horrible. It was a business related internship in the purchasing department and I absolutely hated it because of how slow paced and boring it was. Luckily, it taught me two things: I really hate business, and I do enjoy programming a lot. I know this because I spent my free time in the summer, working on the one computer science related aspect of my resume. Its a fantasy football draft program that utilizes RNG and the PyQt Python GUI module to organize and optimize the draft process for my friend's fantasy league. I had a ton of fun working on it and it was the only thing that made the summer bearable.

    I took that job because everyone around me told me that it would be a great company to have on my resume, and, similarly to my earlier line of thinking regarding computer science, just having the company name on my resume would bring big tech companies crawling to my feet despite this job not having anything to do with programming in any capacity.

    Being a dumb college sophomore I believed them and now I have no experience in CS to speak of besides the aforementioned project. Because of this lack of experience, I was not able to land a internship for this summer. I feel dumb for not looking harder for a CS job last summer because I feel like that awful 40-hr a week internship was a total waste of time and now I essentially have nothing to show for it because its not like one personal project will get me any internship offers.

    If you've made it this far past my ranting, I applaud and thank you. So I come to you fellow redditors. After browsing this sub for a while, I realized that I was way off track of where I should be at this point in my college career. I've been slacking off and not taking advantage of my time in college to make myself a better prospect for jobs after I graduate. For instance, I know Python, C, C++, and Pascal but I don't really have any experience. Like I don't have any web servers built and I haven't used any frameworks or databases or anything that would make a company stop and say "Wow that guy knows a lot of cool programming acronyms and definitely knows what he's talking about"

    I've joined my school's CS club to try and find more computer science peers and maybe some networking opportunities. I'm participating in a hackathon next week that I already have some ideas for. It's not like I'm going to win, but I'm thinking I may as well try and make a project so I can add it to my resume/GitHub.

    This summer, my plan of action is this: I'm going to grind incredibly hard. I'm going to take my software dev and linear algebra classes over the summer and all the while start grinding LeetCode, Hackerrank, and the like. In my free time, I'm going to be working my summer beach lifeguarding job from high school so I can at least have some money (I still have a lot of good buddies there from home so it should be a fun time), and I'm going to be working on developing my own projects and really working hard to get my resume to the place where it should be so I can start applying to bigger companies in the upcoming fall with actual experience and hard work to show for it. I guess my question is, is all of this worth it? Should I really not be going for an internship my junior year of college and instead just grind out coding for all hours of the day? Or should I go for a safe internship with nothing related to CS because "hey, at least its an internship". I really would love some advice regarding this and if I am indeed heading in the right direction. Also, If y'all could suggest anything for me to do as a first project for the summer to get the ball rolling, that would be much obliged. I'm thinking of starting out by writing a Python program for a Tetris clone but I'm wondering if that is just going to be seen as elementary and not something that would be interesting on a resume. I would really appreciate some replies.

    submitted by /u/uberpandas88
    [link] [comments]

    Just how valuable is it to do internships/co-ops with multiple companies?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 07:00 PM PDT

    Title is pretty self explanatory, and I'm aware that this question has been asked and answered many times on this subreddit but my situation has a few wrinkles involved that differentiate it.

    I go to a school that works off of a co-op model. That is, I will be in school for 5 years but will have done three 6 month co-ops prior to graduation. I spent my previous (and first) co-op in an IT position with a somewhat major tech company. While the position wasn't development related, it was my first co-op and I made the best of it. By the end of my 6th months, I was pretty much exclusively doing development for in-house applications, as opposed to the standard IT ticket-resolving work the co-ops in this position usually do. I really enjoyed working for the company, but wasn't the biggest fan of the position, as it wasn't in the field that I want to go into.

    I'm currently in the process of looking for a second co-op and after applying and interviewing with the same company, they have offered me another co-op position, this time with a proper software engineering team in a proper software engineering role. The offer that I received was rather generous, and although I didn't have the best experience with my previous co-op, my issues were not at all with the company itself, which I really liked. In addition, the people on the team seem nice and I would be working on production code like the other devs on it, which would be an excellent working experience.

    With all of that said, I currently have several interviews outstanding next week with other companies, some similar to my previous one and some completely different. One opportunity with a local startup that's doing some really exciting work in the biotech field (and has offices much closer to my apartment) really excites me should they offer me the position.

    I recently heard back from my previous company and they want a response before I have a chance to take any of the interviews. I already asked them for more time on the offer, given that their turnaround is usually < 1 week and they agreed to it, but even with the extra time I will only be able to take one interview before making a decision. EDIT: It should be noted that once I accept, I cannot renege on the offer or my school will bar me from going on co-op altogether.

    So, reddit: how much value should I put on seeing different kinds of companies with my 2 remaining co-ops? Is it worth it for me to take a risk and turn down the offer, given that I have a few more interviews coming up?

    TL,DR: Worked an IT co-op at a company, now they're offering me a software engineering co-op. I have several more interveiws, but the company wants a response back before I can take them. What should I do?

    submitted by /u/nluken
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have a shot at getting internships in NYC?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    For context, I'm a first year engineering student at the University of Waterloo, and will start my second year in Fall of 2019. My program is a co-op program and my next co-op/work term is from January-April of 2020. I'm working as a full-stack developer at a random startup for this summer (not in the US). I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how likely it is that I could get an internship for my next co-op term in NYC and what type of things I should be doing to push myself in the right direction to get NYC internships. I really like the city and I would love to experience what it's like working in NYC (along with the fact that it would push my career in the right direction).

    I'm not looking for any big name internships, I would be ecstatic to work at any startup that would be willing to take me in. I wouldn't mind the specific role it would be for, although it would probably end up being in web dev stuff since that's what I'm most qualified for. I have a couple projects (albeit they're pretty mediocre projects), but I'm hoping to really buff up my skills/resume this summer with the fullstack position and some side projects (work is with PHP/Python backend and Angular frontend, and I've been learning React on the side).

    Thanks for any replies, I appreciate any advice y'all could give me.

    submitted by /u/Co-opPlease
    [link] [comments]

    help on how to salvage tech event situation?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    hi, i'm planning a tech talk/networking event with a medium-sized company, and I've finalized all the details, but there's just one tiny problem. i said in the email conversation with the hr that we (my club) could help catering the event when know i just realized/been told that usually in the past the companies cater and our club doesn't do the catering. i don't want to backtrack and say that we can no longer do that, but on the other hand i'm not sure how to spin it to get the company to cater? any help is much is appreciated!

    edit: also i'm not sure if this is the 100% correct sub, so apologies if wrong and if so please point me in the right direction, thanks!

    submitted by /u/EasternCold
    [link] [comments]

    Does job search get easier for full time job?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:38 PM PDT

    I am currently a junior in top 10 CS program in the US. I applied to over 400 places to get my first internship this summer. I finally managed to get an offer in March. I am happy and depressed at the same time. I am happy that my job search is over, but I am depressed that it took me hundreds of applications and around 40 ~ 50 interviews to finally get an offer. I understand that it was my first internship search, but does it get easier for full time jobs?

    submitted by /u/GullibleGift
    [link] [comments]

    Verbal Full Time Return "Offer"

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:47 PM PDT

    Currently 7 months into my 8 month internship (end in April), and my manager has expressed interest in having me return full time after graduating (est. December 2019).

    These have just been in conversations, for people with experience obtaining a full time return offer is there follow up paperwork etc. to get this "offer" in writing with things like salary/position/job duties etc.?

    My understanding is there will be a follow up conversation towards the end of the internship, but just want to have a better gauge of what to anticipate.

    submitted by /u/Braydenschennjr
    [link] [comments]

    What is a "reasonable" cost for corporate housing (as taxable income)?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 10:59 AM PDT

    This is not incredibly cscareer-specific, but it is about the aftermath of a CS internship.

    Context: last summer I interned for three months at a big tech company in Seattle. Pre-tax, they paid me 8.5k/mo. With reimbursement relocation expenses, this ended up as <30k pre-tax.

    I also took corporate housing, and that expense counts as taxable income on my W-2. However, my W-2 lists my taxable income from the internship at 60k. Unless I'm missing something, this means they spent 10k/month on my housing. They put me up in an extended-stay hotel, and I can check my room rate for the place I stayed. The standard rate for that room (and I assume the company gets something better) is $200/night, or 6k/month.

    Can somebody explain this, or is corporate housing just bizarrely expensive?

    submitted by /u/Round_Currency
    [link] [comments]

    Should I apply to internships?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:29 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm an "advanced analyst" at a Fortune 100 company trying to switch to a less analytical, more technical role at a tech company but I've gotten a lot of feedback saying I need more experience in developmental roles. Should I apply to internships? I don't care about the money I'd be leaving behind. My job description has creeped into BI analyst and dev work and I'm usually just writing Qlik dashboards for people who can't seem to do it themselves.

    I've come to realize that I'm not even progressing myself as a professional because despite the fact I'm being assigned my projects by the director, I can't even receive the okay to spin up a GPU instance, leave servers on so I can train models overnight, create local copies of data on the company workstation, etc. To make it worse, my entire team quit and my boss was fired so I work alone now under a business intelligence manager.

    ---

    So, should I apply for internships? I know I'm likely going to be unemployed after the internship but I'm hoping it would help me more than my current job. Thanks in advance for your insight and help.

    submitted by /u/acl1024
    [link] [comments]

    Why did you want to be a software engineer?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 05:51 PM PDT

    Hi, recently I've been pretty unhappy with my job and career choice. I am a front end developer working mainly with XSLT and not enough Javascript, I want to change jobs to become a software engineer because I want to do more programming, but I'm worried even if I make the job change, I'll still be unhappy. I was originally premed in college but things didn't work out and I made a career transition, but I'm wondering whether I should have tried harder and stuck to the premed path, because I feel being a doctor is more meaningful and contributes more to society than being, say, a web designer or front end developer. I like coding, and I'm not doing enough of it in my current job, which may be the reason I'm unhappy, but I'm also unhappy because I don't feel my job is meaningful. I was wondering why you guys wanted to be a software/web developer and if you guys find meaning in your job.

    submitted by /u/arigato7
    [link] [comments]

    The YoE requirement may as well not be there.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 10:00 PM PDT

    I'm currently looking for a new position and I came across this absolute gem from L3 Technologies for a Junior Software Systems Engineer position in Ottawa, Canada. Not only is the minimum qualifications a ridiculously long list that better describes an intermediate developer, but the preferred qualifications sound like it's describing a senior engineer.

    The kicker? The education section lists Master's Degree + 10 to 12 years of experience designing large-scale system architecture...

    If someone with those credentials and experience is a junior, I may as well quit this industry and go live off-the-grid as a caveman.

    Also, a related anecdote. I observed one of the companies I used to work for hire a new grad with no internships for a position that supposedly "required" 3+ years of experience. Props to the new grad for the hustle and for impressing the interviewers. But again, what was the point of the hard requirement if it didn't matter in the end? (rhetorical question)

    submitted by /u/Ampulla_of_Vater
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science jobs using Control Systems / Control Theory?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:19 AM PDT

    How common are computer science jobs that regularly work with control systems?

    Would you see such jobs for Computer Science graduates with Control Systems knowledge in industries like the Automotive / Self-Driving Car sector?

    submitted by /u/Kyak787
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck learning an old technology stack, not sure what to do

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 08:03 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I'm a computer science graduate that has been in a job for about 7 months now in London.

    I like the company I work for but the technology stack we work with is very outdated. I'm really concerned by this as I feel I'm developing very specialist skills in a language that is not used by any other company and I feel like I'll be stuck here as a result.

    It seems as if the company hire graduates with a nice salary, teach them their outdated stack and don't reward them for being at the company. (As in seniors are on a little bit more than new starters).

    My first thing is to want to leave with 1 years experience as I think this will look good (rather than 7 months).

    But I'm not sure what I'll do when they ask what languages I used as I have no real experience in any 'industry used' ones.

    What do you suggest I do here?

    I want to practice at home for new interviews but I'm not sure what I'll be looking into, can someone suggest me some help here.

    Thanks you all.

    submitted by /u/computerscigrad2019
    [link] [comments]

    How to negotiate raises when HR doesn't budge.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:40 PM PDT

    I've coming up on five years as software engineer and we find out our raises this week. I am currently an E3 and the unofficial team-lead on my team even though we have an E4. The E4 is not senior level in all of our team members eyes and even my manager sees it. This engineer was hired on as an E4 so of course he got the higher salary with whatever negotiations he did.

    We had another E2 on our team that was brilliant and was probably the best coder I've had the pleasure working with. He was severely underpaid (as am I) so he asked management for a raise for a good 6 months, but they kept on saying, "Wait till March". Since they only give raises out once a year. He said fuck that and started applying. Got a couple offers and decided to leave. The ironic thing was they asked him what they could do to have him stay, but still wouldn't pay what the other companies would. Since he left, I have taken over his roles and have had extra responsibilities added to me since they still haven't backfilled his position yet.

    I've talked to my manager once the E2 left about promotions/raises and he said, "We're going to shoot for a high raise this cycle and then try to get you promoted at the half year mark so that we can get two big raises to get you to where you should be at." (It goes without saying at this point that my company pays well below market value and they know it). He came back last week and said, "I've been talking numbers with HR/Finance and I don't think they're going to meet me with where I want them to, so I'll have to talk to them about that."

    My question is, how should I handle the conversation once he tells me my new salary this week? I know he has his hands tied because of Finance, but do I bring up an ultimatum saying that I'll leave or would that just make them start looking for my replacement (I don't think they'd do this though since we haven't event backfilled the other dev)? Or do I just say, "I was leaning more towards this number? Can we do anything with that"?

    Also, the funny thing that I still don't get, is I got RSUs as a part of this raise cycle...BUT, the first 25% of the shares don't vest for another year. So it's like, "Hey, we love the work that you did last year, but stick around for another year and you'll be compensated for it." Like just give me the extra money at that point...but I get it, it's to keep me around versus taking the money and running.

    submitted by /u/CarlTysonHydrogen
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment