• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 17, 2019

    Are you guys building side projects to make passive income? web developers

    Are you guys building side projects to make passive income? web developers


    Are you guys building side projects to make passive income?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:34 AM PDT

    I think one of the best thing being a web dev is being able to create products or services without big capital. Right now I am building a side project and I give myself 3 years to turn the passive income into full time income. What about u guys ? Any success story and tips?

    EDIT: I just created a discord channel for webdev founders. It's to support each other in the journey. https://discord.gg/AU7Zy5 Feel free to join.

    submitted by /u/crazyinsoul
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys use for HTML linting?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:18 AM PDT

    I've been using linters a lot lately and I see the advantages of using them. But what do people use for html linters? html is tricky because often times the template code is interspersed with html code, which messes up the linter.

    Do people typically use a browser plugin to lint the resulting html file? or do you typically use gulp or whatever to lint?

    submitted by /u/steveeq1
    [link] [comments]

    Can I get feedback on my portfolio (I'm 14)

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:05 PM PDT

    Hi reddit,

    I just finished my portfolio and I wanted some feedback so I thought why not post it here. You can visit my website here:

    https://freddienelson.dev

    if you have any feedback for the site I would love to hear from you and if you find a bug I will try my best to fix it.

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/_DeathTurd_
    [link] [comments]

    So Gists on GitHub profiles are kind of fun...

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:44 PM PDT

    How do you motivate yourself to deep dive into technologies that might become obsolete in the future?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:25 PM PDT

    I'm a relatively novice web developer, and lately I found myself to lose motivation/feel overwhelmed with it all. I've come to the conclusion that part of the reason is, I'm scared to commit to a technology that might become obsolete in the future. Like I've worked with AngularJS in the past, but I am incredibly glad I switched to new Angular when it started gaining popularity, before I invested too much time in AngularJS. But this fear is still inside of me, that what if I'm wasting my time with Angular2+ as well? That I invest my time learning a skill that is going to be completely useless later on.

    submitted by /u/SensitiveThought
    [link] [comments]

    How to use UMD

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:05 AM PDT

    Let's say I have the following function:

    const helloWorld = () => { return "Hello World!" } 

    I want to export the function as AMD, Node (CommonJS) and Browser Global. I found UMDJS but I'm not sure what code to use.

    Here's my question: What code do I add after declaring the helloWorld function?

    Side note: I already posted this to r/learnprogramming and r/node but I did not receive any comment.

    submitted by /u/Richienb
    [link] [comments]

    Been a React/React-Native Developer for the last 3 years. Finally decided to actually make a public library in React and to try getting some exposure. I want to start building React Component Libraries, please give me some feedback on my first and some ideas for future components/libraries.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:21 PM PDT

    Can someone briefly explain this jQuery code pleasE?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:54 PM PDT

    <script> $(document).ready(function(){ load_data(); function load_data(query) { $.ajax({ url:"fetch.php", method:"post", data:{query:query}, success:function(data) { $('#result').html(data); } }); } $('#search_text').keyup(function(){ var search = $(this).val(); if(search != '') { load_data(search); } else { load_data(); } }); }); </script> 

    submitted by /u/saucyhambon
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative to animated gif for IE

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:15 PM PDT

    For an intranet page, I have a rotating gear animated gif but "Play animated in Webpages" is defaulted to un-checked, this may be admin policy.

    Is there an (easy) alternative to gif ?

    submitted by /u/kittie_thrower
    [link] [comments]

    n00b question : Best process to hide sub-directories?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:15 PM PDT

    So I have a directory structure like:

    root/public_html/

    Inside this folder is my main site.

    Then I have other sites in directories such as:

    root/public_html/site2 root/public_html/site3

    The problem is if someone was to type:

    'www.mainsite.com/site2'

    Site 2 appears, despite having its own domain. I would like it to only be accessible via its domain. What is the cleanest way to make this happen?

    Thanks advance.

    submitted by /u/imaworkaholic
    [link] [comments]

    Writing Resilient Components

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 12:29 PM PDT

    How much hardware do I need to run my website?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:13 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am thinking of building a website with React frontend and backend to be Nodejs

    Just wondering how much power my server needs to run, how do I calculate the power I need for particular traffic?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/DarceHole22
    [link] [comments]

    How To Validate HTTP Requests Before They Reach Lambda

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 04:06 PM PDT

    Looking for some advice on where to go next

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 03:28 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm a "junior" developer currently about 1 month from my last contract, and therefore jobless. I've had 2 jobs in this field starting from 2016 to about now (also with a one year period in between where I didn't have any web development gigs), and I'm quite frustrated with where I've landed so far in my career. For some quick background, I went to a coding bootcamp to learn front end development, graduating in early 2016. From there, both of my jobs after ended up being much more back end oriented than I'd hoped, and back end work pretty much takes up the majority of my experience. This is fine because I already knew I'd have to touch the back end at some point, but I really wanted to start off getting experienced in the front end world first.

    I'd really like to get back into doing front end work, but, after starting some portfolio apps (that honestly were too ambitious for my level of competency, dunning kruger anybody?) I started to realize that I don't have a strong understanding of what's expected for a junior front end role. I thought if I built a full stack application I could show off my back end experience along with enough front end work to get my foot through the door. As I started to work out the front end of my app, it became VERY apparent that I needed to go back to basics with front end and get my fundamentals straight, lest I built a seriously messy and unimpressive front end out of sheer desperation to land a job out of pickiness.

    I guess the obvious solution is that I should grab another back end gig I'm more sure I'm qualified for, and work on my front end chops in my free time until I'm comfortable enough with them to chase a front end gig. BUT, I'm curious if a more experienced developer would be able to identify if my own standards are too high. Given that I have a month left to snag a job before my finances run dry, here are my questions:

    1. Would it be possible to make a convincing portfolio with a few simple front end apps? I'm talking just one page, with one purpose. Simple.
    2. If the above statement is true, what are some key things I should learn and demonstrate in these small apps?
    3. Is a month really enough time to accomplish a portfolio that could get me hired? I do know *enough* React and CSS to get started, but I will have to re-relearn some things like React Router and state management tools like Redux if necessary.
    4. If none of these statements are true, what should I aim for in a portfolio that will land me a front end job once I can stabilize myself with another back end job?

    I realized I've left out other potentially useful information for helping me get some perspective, but I'll try to fill in the gaps if that information is needed. I hope I've provided enough info and not *too* much as I have a tendency to get rambly. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Hambloko
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie to AngularJS

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 06:29 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone, Can y'all please suggest good resources(any youtube channel/course/reference book) for learning angularjs? Thanks

    submitted by /u/RohanCR797
    [link] [comments]

    Advice Needed: Drawing on a background image

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 03:04 PM PDT

    Hello All!

    I've been working as a software developer for the past few years and have experience, or at minimum a familiarity, with most of the major JS frameworks out there today although my expertise mainly lies in backend development (all things .NET).

    I'm going to begin building a front end which will involve drawing on a static image and am trying to find the best approach to doing so. My use case is as follows: I'll have a static background image and will need to draw a combination of straight lines and arced lines on the image. The positioning of these lines relative to the image is very important. Think of a football field as the background image and drawing lines on it to represent how long each play is and where on the field the play occurs. This application also needs to be responsive so preferably my field should adjust and fit various screen sizes.

    My first thought was to use an html canvas however after some reading, I've found some possible shortcomings with it. 1) the canvas needs to be a defined width and height and that seems to make the responsive part much more difficult.

    2) the background image is redrawn each time I draw a line to the canvas.

    There may be ways to overcome the above that I haven't seen yet but the main reason I'm posting here is to try and get some advice from people who have experience tackling a similar issues or just have some insight into what might work well here in general. All ideas are appreciated!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/always_anonimus
    [link] [comments]

    How we built our multi-tenant SaaS data model

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 03:03 PM PDT

    Join our Discord Server - WordPress development chat and general WebDev design discussion

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:41 PM PDT

    Adding contact.php file to Wordpress site?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:38 PM PDT

    Hi,

    So I'm pretty new to php but I'm fairly experienced with HTML and CSS. I've just created a blog using a wordpress theme I edited to match the style of my personal portfolio site and I just need to link up a file named contact.php to the blog. The question is, how do I do this using Wordpress' segmented php file system? The file is linked to my main site's contact form using 'action="contact.php', but I have a feeling it won't be as simple as that.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Yolodunni
    [link] [comments]

    Good Full stack Side Projects?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:31 PM PDT

    Do you guys have any good recommendation of side projects to make on the side that require full stack? I am a Junior full stack Dev that would really like to practice, but feel like I am always going back to the same general blog app idea. My back-end skills are with Java (Spring) and sql.. and I would really love a good (dense) project that I could practice building out a micro-service architecture. I have built small little examples using Eureka and docker, but nothing in a full app yet. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mrich6347
    [link] [comments]

    Opinion on why there aren’t more Über/Lyft clones out there?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    These companies rake in billions. And I'm assuming there are many devs that have the talent to build the same types of software to scale. None of it is proprietary I've found so it's definitely possible. Anyone have ideas why people don't have their own even small scale Ãœbers running on the side at home? Thanks

    submitted by /u/A4_Ts
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best multi site solution for someone with little to no experience in web development?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 10:29 AM PDT

    I have plenty of solid domains that I would like to pursue but at $20 a month I can't will myself to use squarespace for each site.

    My goals for these site's is to generally just sell merch.

    Strikingly, yola and duda all seem to multi site have options that are enticing.

    I've come here to see if you all can recommend a service that I missed, convince me on one of the ones I mentioned or to convince me to not use a site building company and to use wordpress or some other platform.

    Thank you for your time and ideas.

    submitted by /u/Andy_FX
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help and contributions on project

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 02:01 PM PDT

    Good day people of reddit. I hope you're all having a wonderful day.

    Some time ago I started making Clockuvo.

    Clockuvo is time tracking software. It's a simple time tracker and timesheet app that lets you and your team track work hours on projects. There are many applications of this genre but original idea was to make API public and possible to integrate with multiple project managment systems.

    Entire project is written using MERN stack ( in NodeJS, mainly in ExpressJs and React and MongoDb as database).

    Here is a link to roadmap.

    https://github.com/nikolapavlovic994/Clockuvo

    Most of the frontend as backend is done. Left to do is to link those two parts.

    If anybody is willing to participate in I would gladly take their help and add to project info as contributors.

    Also if it will help I am up for making a Team For Open Source. It looks kind of cool if you're looking for a job to have open source organization badge on profile ;)

    Once again thank you for reading this and have a wonderful day :)

    submitted by /u/nikola_coders
    [link] [comments]

    I'm interested into Web Developing and I have question

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:55 PM PDT

    I'm super interested into front and end web developing, of course I just started HTML and CSS, but it looks fun to be honest. And what are job opportunities? I heard someone actually hiring you as front end developer but asks you to do back end :D Which one is more payable front or back? And whats the salary/month payment? Share your experience. My next choice will be JS and after python or c# as back end. Cheers

    submitted by /u/exis8
    [link] [comments]

    Domain Extension advice

    Posted: 17 Mar 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    I have started a website and currently using dotca (.CA) domain and I also have the dotcom (. Com). Currently the target audience is only Canada. However I like to use the dotcom for the US audience as well and its better for Seo as well. Is there way to use both domains on just 1 site? Is there a workaround? Or just use the dotcom for all audiences for now for better authority and seo? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? What do you guys recommend?

    submitted by /u/zerodamn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment