• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 14, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - August 14, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - August 14, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - August 14, 2018

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - August 14, 2018

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    First disastrous whiteboard experience, yikes

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 01:26 PM PDT

    Just wanted to share this with someone I guess. I've never been good at whiteboard stuff, but up until this point the only whiteboarding I did was fairly straight forward problems, like taking a string of words separated by spaces, splitting and then reversing each word, or FizzBuzz, etc.

    Yesterday I finally had the "let's do algorithms you haven't seen since school" interview that I had always feared. It started out okay, but then each line I'm writing, the guy is stopping me and telling me about compiler errors that I'll have.

    As this is happening, I'm losing confidence, getting flustered and not really listening to what he's saying. So at this point I start being unable to say which side of a binary search tree 6 will be found on if the root node is 5. I can hear the guy sighing while the other two just stare at their screens. I guess it would have been nice if I could write out my solution, and then have him point out errors afterward instead of stopping me with each line.

    Anyways, this was the first problem we did. They had more planned. But at this point, he says a bunch of stuff I don't listen to because my mind is just filled with "this is a disaster." He ends with "do you get what I'm saying there?" I put the cap back on the marker, and start explaining that I don't think this is going very well, and I don't think it's going to get any better from here, so if they don't have any questions I'll just head out. One of them asks me if I'd like to just explain what my algorithm would have been, I do it and they nod in agreement. After a few awkward moments they just wrap up, not asking any more whiteboarding questions. The end. The team lead guy walks me out to the lobby, shake his hand and leave.

    Oh well. It can't go much worse than that one did, so I guess I have nothing to fear now.

    submitted by /u/iheardacrimego
    [link] [comments]

    Ok, if you're going to conduct a phone screening, please don't sound like you're contemplating suicide

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 11:56 AM PDT

    Just got done with a phone screening that absolutely sucked. His questions weren't that hard, but fuck me, this guy sounded like I was talking to someone whose dog just died. I got nothing out of the guy. We started with talking about my background, and after rattling that off, he had no follow up questions. Just like. "k, so heres a coderpad link"

    As I was doing his problem, I kept telling him my thought process as I was going, because experience tells me that they'll typically chime in if they like what you're thinking or if you're headed the wrong way. Also it helps the interviewer see into your head. Dude just sat in silence for most of my interview. There were times I thought maybe we disconnected and I didn't realize it...

    I have no idea if the guy liked what I did, or if he thought it sucked. When I was done I had to tell him like "ok....so I'm done now". and he's just like, yeah I guess thats right, any questions for me?" Then I asked him stuff about the company, tech stack, culture, etc. The man barely answered any of those questions and sounded like the best thing about the company was the high windows he could jump out of.

    EDIT: Well I already got a call back and they want to move forward with another interview. So thats nice I guess. Had no way of knowing which way that was gonna go though from his responses

    submitted by /u/rafikiknowsdeway1
    [link] [comments]

    Tired of working 90 hour weeks

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 02:43 AM PDT

    Edit: wow I wrote this last night and forgot and saw all the comments. I will make a second thread tomorrow giving more details and outcome potentially of the new job. Thank you everyone for commenting, it has really helped so much. Also, I seriously wish I was exaggerating this. I'm worried of the long term health implications at this point and wish this was fake. Sadly, I left out a lot of details rather than embellished. Next thread will clarify more things but I'm tired and will do it tomorrow.

    Thanks guys

    I have been programming since I was 13 (like many of you all) and always had a passion for development. Currently a basic run of the mill backend Java developer working simple enterprise jobs and tired of engineering and dev life in general at this point.

    I have 6 years of development (not completely new) experience at this point and I'm becoming so jaded of the industry.

    I'm not new or adverse to working late hours (actually graduated with an architecture degree which forces stupid and unhealthy hours).

    However I have reached my breaking point.

    I started a new role 7 months and it's the last nail in the coffin for my time in this industry (potentially)

    I was told this role would be relaxed (40 hours give or take, but wouldn't mind working 50 or so if the situation dictates so.). Then because of project management issues a death march project arose.

    For 2 months I was subjected to 70-90 hour work weeks (not an exaggeration) to meet the deadline. And for a deadline that was never met or would even be possible to meet)

    This ended 2 months ago but I haven't recovered. Sounds crazy but also hearing voices in your head because you have not slept in two days (no exaggeration) is crazy.

    Anyway, I interviewed at another place and they're currently in the process of making a decision. This place has a hard culture of not overworking people and it's enticed me.

    I am fully ready to resign regardless of getting an offer from the other company.

    So today I hinted that I'm resigning. It was first met with denial and then a lecture from my cto about having to work hard because it's what makes people above average.

    He asked "do you want to be average?"

    I said "I want to be happy." Then I was told "that isn't what you should be concredned about.

    He went on to describe that every industry is like this and you can't escape it, aka always be sleep deprived if a deadline is in the horozon.

    I'm so done. I'm depressed and just mentally checked out.

    What do I do? Is this normal?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/Jaded_tech_warrior
    [link] [comments]

    Got My First Dev Job After Bootcamp

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 11:58 AM PDT

    I'm a long-term lurker and just wanted to share my achievement. I'm starting my new job and career as a software engineer in less than 2 weeks. I accepted the job last Friday after around 1.5 months of job search. I'm moving to Pittsburgh from NYC, which is where I've lived all my life. I did a part-time bootcamp program while working full-time. I didn't study computer science in college, but I did study chemical engineering. I know a lot of people here look down on bootcamps, but I truly believe that doing a bootcamp can be a great way to jump start one's career into tech. It's not an easy path, but it is doable. There are a lot of caveats though. I'm willing to answer any questions about my experience. I think I have pretty good insight. I eventually want to do a blog or video series on all this.

    submitted by /u/marcopchen
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone ever rage quit a dev job,nothing else lined up? What was the final straw for you?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 11:08 AM PDT

    Thread title.

    submitted by /u/RetroByte
    [link] [comments]

    Graduated with degree in Computer Science but not cut out to be a developer

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 01:47 PM PDT

    I recently graduated and have been looking for software development jobs without success, possibly because I don't have the passion for it. I can't force myself to learn something outside of school, it's borderline painful. I never really did any coding outside of school assignments. I know I'm not lazy, when I'm passionate about what I'm doing or I'm helping people, I feel energized and fulfilled and I can do it for hours. When I am at home trying to code on my own, it's basically the opposite. I get drained, tired, and bored quickly. Coding is clearly not my passion.

    I only enrolled and completed a CS degree because my dad is a software developer who taught me how to code in high school. When college came around, I was decent at coding, I had no idea what to do and CS was "where the money was at."

    I don't want my Computer Science degree to go to waste. I spent a lot of time and worked hard for it.

    What can I do? Are there any kinds of apprenticeships or something of the like where someone would be highly valued due to having CS/coding knowledge?

    submitted by /u/throwayaw3981283872
    [link] [comments]

    Company wants to reduce my salary 40K while fundraising with promise of shares and raise after round complete - what to do?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 09:03 AM PDT

    They might see this, but am genuinely curious what to do about this, I've never been in this position so I'm trying to do all my due diligence.

    I like my team and product, but we are fundraising, which is still ongoing after a couple of months. However, they need to save some money and asked me to take a cut of 40K in salary (well not really ask, I kind of don't have a choice) with the promise of an extra 40K in shares and bump my salary back to normal + raise after the round is done (which will be in writing).

    Thing is, I'm not sure how long that could be. I have expenses I need to pay. What would you do?

    submitted by /u/lyyynel
    [link] [comments]

    Inadvertently passed phone screens and got invited to an on-site that I don’t think I’m ready for. Any advice to avoid embarrassing myself?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 05:01 PM PDT

    I have several years of experience as a firmware engineer but am working on a career transition to data science. I am between semesters in a M.S. program for data science and decided to apply to a few places just for the practice on phone technical and take-home analysis assignments. Well I unexpectedly passed, got invited to an on-site and I'm lightweight worried.

    I'm confident in my abilities as far as what I already know. For instance, I've got a very strong mathematics background and am quite advanced in terms of Python and SQL. However, looking at the background of my interviewers they're using a ton of big data and AWS technologies that I have no experience in. Looking down the list there's Kafka, Cassandra, Storm, etc. There's also a lot of emphasis on "deploying at scale" and "handling massive amounts of streaming data" and the datasets that I've worked with are minuscule in comparison. To be honest I'm not quite sure how I'm meant to get experience like that before I have job experience in this domain in the first place.

    I'm totally going to go on-site and do my best, if only for the learning experience. I'm pretty personable and have always made a good impression in face-to-face interviews, but this may be the least prepared I've been for a full-day gamut of interviews.

    The on-site is in a couple of days so I don't have that much time to prepare but any advice y'all can give me about how to best use this time so that I don't embarrass myself there would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/one_compile_man
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of job should CS students do part time remotely to earn money and enrich their experience?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 02:48 PM PDT

    Hello Reddit,

    I've been really anxious lately. I want to find a job that I can work part time to pay the rent, but the opportunities seem too limited. I've just done the GSoC program, bringing home $2400 after 3 months (that is a big amount of money in my country). Now the program ends and I don't know what to do to find money. I lurked around r/beermoney, but I found them unstable sources of income. I sought for projects on Upwork but got no replies. I applied to be a tutor on Chegg and I got denied. I have to have experience for a job and have to have a job for experience. It's a freaking circle. :(

    I don't know what are the options for a student like me to work remotely and get paid. Or should I just keep studying in class instead of desperately finding jobs like this? :(

    Forgive me if the question is not interesting. I'm anxious and this could be the best place to seek for advice. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Admirable_Mushroom
    [link] [comments]

    How do I convince the Feds I can do the job?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 11:11 AM PDT

    As it turns out, the average resume length for getting federal jobs is about 4-5 pages. As I've never actually had an officially IT branded job, I have no idea how the heck I'm going to stretch my one page, civilian focused resume towards federal employment. Does anyone have any tips?

    About me:

    I currently work at the USPS and in the space of the three years since I started, I've become the guy the whole building relies on for tech support - the management hates putting calls in to the helpdesk and going to me either speeds up the process or removes the need to call IT all together. Unfortunately though.. it's not my job, even remotely. I'm just a clerk - I keep the building running on time and I deal with all the grumpy people that still use the retail portion of the Post Office. Management is terrible about it, and I currently average about 15 hours of overtime per week.

    I'd like to get an actual IT job, one where I can code or fix things (and actually get credit for it). Ive got two computer related degrees, but unfortunately most people don't really know what a 'New Media' degree is at first glance, and in fact a good deal of my computer and coding knowledge is self taught. My focus at the moment is staying with the feds for student loan forgiveness offered through them. I'd be totally willing to get a civilian job, but I can't see myself killing those student loans on an entry level salary..

    submitted by /u/Raleda
    [link] [comments]

    Where do you guys search for jobs/ what sites do you check often?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 04:21 AM PDT

    I'm trying to expand the list of sites I use, because I feel like I'm not searching optimally.

    Currently, I typically check Indeed, Craigslist, and Hacker News Who is Hiring threads.

    submitted by /u/Acheroni
    [link] [comments]

    3 months into first dev job and I'm not sure how well I'm doing

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 06:27 PM PDT

    I just graduated this past May. During my schooling I focused on building practical developer skills, like abstracting logic and writing well organized, maintainable, reusable, optimized, and extendable code. I did this by actively creating projects for myself to work on during my down time, and practicing these things even though it was just a fun project. As a result, my leetcode skills aren't the best, but I understand the basics of how to apply data structures and a few common design patterns optimally.

    A month ago (2nd months on the job) I was getting assigned work that I was completing on time with minimal help and only a couple of notes in code reviews. Little tasks that were relatively simple. Then in this last sprint, a senior dev left the team. They started giving me new responsibilities, such as performing code freezes, insuring code reviews between me and another developer I work closely with are completed on time, and rolling out one of our mobile update releases. This in part with fixing some of my own work put me behind a week on some work I underestimated. I'm terrible at estimating.

    This task is quite a bit more complicated than anything I've done so far. Namely, writing an asynchronous backend service at production quality (albeit a simple one). I'm not very well acquainted with the framework yet, so it took me yet another week just to start actually working on it after researching about implementing, considering pitfalls of maintainability, searching for examples & inspiration, etc. I've never written anything like this at production quality before. It is work originally assigned to the senior dev and was estimated to take about 4 days. Meanwhile, I feel 2 weeks behind, and new work is piling up, waiting for me to get finished. I'm the only developer on site for this project, and I only get approx 3 to 4 hours to communicate with other team members if I have questions.

    I'm a little concerned, despite being very forward about my lack of industry experience, that this was a part of their original plan when hiring me. There are a lot of knowledgeable and experienced product managers, owners, and QAs in my department, so I'm sure they can all see that I have a good work ethic. Maybe it is a good sign they are handing me these new challenges? Surely they can't expect so much so soon... I really don't know, but right now I feel like I'm falling short. I'm happy and excited to be gaining new skills, but I hate being late.

    submitted by /u/ShortCircuitingRobot
    [link] [comments]

    Forgetting things you have learned... What should I do about it?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 05:57 PM PDT

    I'm asking this because I recently was given a web dev challenge from a recruiter but I can't do it. I should be able to do it since I "had" web development experience going through Colt's Web Dev. Bootcamp and building web gadgets at my internship. However, it seems like I forgot a lot about web development; especially backend stuff.

    I tried refreshing my memory by going through the course but I don't understand a lot of them and it seems like I'm back to square one. This concerns me because I put web dev related languages like node.js and jQuery into my resume and I don't know if I should remove it or not.

    What should I do? Should I remove those languages that I'm no longer comfortable with even though I had prior exposure? Or should I keep it and maybe constantly keep practicing it? I have used many languages and it seems like a lot to keep up with. Or should I hone my few select languages and just keep practicing algorithms/data structures and hope things like applied technical challenges don't show up?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/danii956
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner Mistakes that Cause People to Discontinue a Side Project Too Early

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 03:27 AM PDT

    What do you guys think are some of the most common mistakes that beginners to this craft make that demotivate them about their projects or quit on them too early or just lead to an unsuccessful project?

    submitted by /u/kids_eat_drugs
    [link] [comments]

    An ex team-member is trying to get me demoted. What kind of protection can I get against this kind of politics?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 12:36 PM PDT

    Maybe I'm worrying for nothing, but I'm not sure. My coworkers used to be on my team until management reassigned her.

    Both me and my manager agreed it was the best thing to do, for everyone. My coworker had gotten to a point where, in meetings with my manager, she would try to lie about how complex a feature was and say "I'm not capable of doing it!". When I showed her the way to do those "impossible tasks", she would complain I was an "asshole who always needs to get his way". Not once was she worried about the quality of the product.

    She went straight to my manager a few times saying I wasn't fit for the job of team leader and she didn't want me telling her stuff about performance or skills, but she expected the manager to do so...

    Anyway, she got out. However, yesterday I had a disagreement with a team member, nothing too serious. This person shared the issue with my ex team member, and she immediately passed it on to my manager saying something along the lines of "see? He always needs to get his way... who is he to treat us like we are interns? He isn't the boss..."

    She did this on a group chat where a close friend of mine saw everything.

    This person had gone directly to my manager when she was on my team to try to get me to do things her way or get me demoted. Now she's out, and she still goes to my manager to say negative things about me.

    This is deliberate. How can I protect myself? I'm inclined to proceed as if nothing happened, but why do I have to tolerate this from a coworker?

    submitted by /u/Coding_rex
    [link] [comments]

    Driving me to the point of suicidal thoughts

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 12:30 AM PDT

    It's been over a year now since I've graduated from college with a CS degree. What do I have to show for it? One internship of 6 months as a full-stack developer on a team of a dozen people at a fairly large company. How did I get it? My dad talked to someone in another department and they were willing to interview me and I got the position. Unfortunately, they were "looking for a senior developer" in the end, so it was all for naught.

    Now I'm back to the grindstone, job application after job application, phone interview after phone interview. And it always ends up the same exact way - "we're looking for someone with more experience" or "we're only looking for senior developers" or "we might have positions open for junior/entry level positions at the beginning of the next quarter, send me a message in 6-9 months".

    I live in the Bay Area so I know competition is rough, but I'm focusing on my medical issues as well, so I can't exactly pack up and leave. I feel worthless and like there's no light at the end of this tunnel. I've worked on my own independent projects, I've got a good resume, I've rehearsed when it comes to talking about my experience at my previous internship. So, why is it so fucking hard? Every passing day is just another dent in my already-fragile psyche. I feel like at some point I'll lose all motivation and will end up making a rash decision that will cost me my life. And that honestly doesn't sound all that bad right about now.

    submitted by /u/SuicidalCS
    [link] [comments]

    Pre-employment assessment test after onsite

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 07:50 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I did an onsite interview last Friday, and yesterday the recruiter called me back saying that I did very well and that the team really liked me. This morning I was given a pre-employment assessment as a last step, which I was not expecting. It consisted of a timed section with basic math/logic/comprehension questions and a behavioral survey. I find it odd that this assessment was given so late in the hiring process. Anyone else experienced something like this?

    submitted by /u/chzits
    [link] [comments]

    How to convince others that I am a good developer?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 01:50 PM PDT

    I am a full stack developer and working full time for more than 6 years, I have changed many companies but some of them were not my choices (one of them got bankrupted etc.).

    I am an introvert and brutally honest. I believe in the quality of work and therefore managed to win many performance awards in almost all of my previous organizations, but because of former qualities I find it really hard to pass last round of interviews especially managerial rounds.

    In my last company luckily my team leader was empathetic and took me in and I never failed him.

    But for the last two years, I have been able to fail in almost 5 onsite interviews and three of them were quite recent and the worst part is they all were very good and I was crossing my fingers to get into at least one of them but to my surprise I got rejected in all three in three weeks time.

    The other reason is I gave my best to whatever opportunities I had but sadly I never got the chance to work on something extraordinary and this leaves a bad impression in the interviews too.

    I know for sure that if given any complex team setting I will be able to perform well.

    How do I get out of this situation? I need some good break now or it will be too late for me. The one option that I can think of is to keep trying to FANG but its very difficult to get an interview call from them because of the above reasons.

    submitted by /u/b_curious
    [link] [comments]

    Reverse of imposter syndrome?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 07:41 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I am a poor poor developer. But I feel as if I am doing an awesome job.

    Why do I feel this? Anyone else feels this way? I know for a fact I am a terrible developer. But I want a promotion now.

    submitted by /u/reclus1ve
    [link] [comments]

    Network Administrator Tier 1 Linux Question

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 07:33 PM PDT

    Good day all!

    I just got a callback for a second interview for what could honestly be called my dream job (the lowest tier of my dream job but hey). The first interview went amazingly well the only problem is they asked me a couple of questions about Linux commands; What is Nslookup and what does it do etc. I have VERY little Linux experience and it was definitely the pain point for the interview.

    Does anyone have any good suggestions on getting up to snuff on Linux by Friday afternoon? I don't need to be a Unix Sys Admin or anything but it was pretty embarrassing that I wasn't able to answer basic questions about it.

    Thanks!

    Im assuming I have to pick a flair, I'm not graduated yet but going to school while working.

    submitted by /u/jarinatorman
    [link] [comments]

    You will make it.

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 07:12 PM PDT

    I am someone who did not start programming until I was a freshman in college. Upon changing my major into CS I quickly realized that CS was not to be taken lightly. Throughout university, I have worked full-time jobs in the service industry to pay for school whilst taking a full course load. I have spent many days and hours filled with depression and worry if I could ever graduate let alone become a software engineer. I have failed tests, turned in terrible programs, and failed in many other ways.

    As I go into my final year of undergrad I have not figured everything out by any means nor will I but I do know that everything will work out. I just finished an internship and received a great full-time offer for a Software Engineering position in a major East coast city. It was not easy, I have worked my ass off and networked until I was blue in the face, but I MADE IT.

    You can make it too. I remember seeing posts on this very sub similar to this one and remembering the hope and reassurance they gave me. I am here to tell you, it will all work out. Put in the work and you will be rewarded.

    submitted by /u/codectd
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to start technical school program for development. Thoughts?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 07:06 PM PDT

    Hey all.

    So I'm looking at starting a software development course at a local technical school in October. I don't feel that a 4 year cs degree is attainable for me, because of previous struggles that I won't get into. Would I be better off with a boot camp instead of technical college? Is the technical college even worth it? I'm 23 years old now, and I'm trying to get my life together ands finally get something figured out. I guess I'm leaving this pretty open ended, but is the technical school a good idea? If not what is?

    Thanks all

    Edit: forgot to mention that the program I'm looking at is for .net dev. There's also a program for network support technologies, web dev, which seems to be mostly front end stuff, and a security course.

    submitted by /u/gomusic14
    [link] [comments]

    Side projects that don't involve months of effort?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 06:44 PM PDT

    Don't get me wrong here, I'd love to partake in a hefty project that required a significant time commitment.

    My question is, however, are there such things as "resume-worthy" side projects that don't require me to make such a time commitment? I've spent the last year in school working full time as well and have no time for anything else. I want not only something I can put on my resume as technical experience, but to simply engage in a learning experience.

    What kinds of projects might I be looking at? I only know some C++. I'm most interested in iOS dev, but perhaps Python as well.

    submitted by /u/SeductionQs
    [link] [comments]

    Is the grass greener elsewhere?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 09:55 AM PDT

    I've had to deal with some misfortune during my career. Things like clueless management, mediocre co-workers and bad engineering practices.

    I know that no company can be perfect, and I'm starting to think that my expectations for a "good company" are getting too high.

    Do you generally enjoy your day to day work? Do you often feel like communication, the state of the systems you're working on, or just planning out work in general gets difficult and stressful (mostly due to the management)?

    submitted by /u/the-computer-guy
    [link] [comments]

    Job gave me about a month to improve. Should I start looking for a new job?

    Posted: 14 Aug 2018 06:07 PM PDT

    I've been working for this company for a few months now, first dev job and I was informed today that they are not impressed with my performance and basically have given me about a month to show improvement or I'll be let go.

    I'm feeling a mix of emotions but I've always been told to never put your eggs in one basket. If I were to start looking for a new job, how would I answer the question from recruiters: what made you want to leave your previous job, why are you looking for a new job? Questions like that.

    Anyways any kind of advice would be appreciated. Or constructive criticism.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/Jonty95
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment