• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 9, 2018

    Daily Chat Thread - August 09, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Daily Chat Thread - August 09, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Daily Chat Thread - August 09, 2018

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Interview Discussion - August 09, 2018

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions about interviews, interviewing, and interview prep. Posts focusing solely on interviews created outside of this thread will probably be removed.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted each Monday and Thursday at midnight PST. Previous Interview Discussion threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I'm Stephen Cass, and I'm the editor responsible for IEEE Spectrum's ranking of the Top Programming Languages. AMA.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    Every year IEEE Spectrum combines online metrics to let readers find out what are the most popular programming languages in the area most relevant to them. I can talk about our methodological approach, why we thought we could offer something different to all the language rankings, and what the results suggest about the evolution of the programming landscape. You can find our intro article here:

    Top Programming Languages

    and the interactive here:

    Top Programming Languages Interactive

    Proof: https://i.redd.it/i6szavqblwe11.jpg

    submitted by /u/IEEESpectrum
    [link] [comments]

    I am an average developer, I have no desire to go above and beyond. I want to clock in, clock out, and collect my check. What is the best area to go into?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 07:27 PM PDT

    Hello there!

    As the title reads, I am extremely burnt out. I did my bachelors in CS and masters in CS at Purdue University.

    I've worked at 2 fortune 100 companies over the course of 6 years after graduating.

    I've realized that some people "have it" and others don't such as myself. People at work that I see succeed are go getters, they work outside of work and have a natural ability to be good at what they do.

    I am not one of those people, I am barely what one would call competent. I've tried working outside of work with no success.

    I am also not cut out for office politics, so management is out of the picture.

    At the end of the day, I just want to clock in, clock out, and collect a fat paycheck (apologies for being blunt). Any passion I had for the field has been destroyed at this point, once I realized that I was not a "rockstar".

    I originally wanted to go into data science because I did very well in my math classes in undergrad and I enjoyed it, but even that seems out of reach for someone as mediocre as myself.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ronald_jeremy69
    [link] [comments]

    Where to look for new grad positions?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 02:04 PM PDT

    I loved using intern.supply to find internship postings, is there any equivalent website that shows new grad jobs?

    submitted by /u/ivanahamster
    [link] [comments]

    End of internship gift/thank-you?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 08:04 PM PDT

    My internship's ending soon, and I wanted to do something nice for my team before I left- suggestions?

    I was thinking of buying something for my team (donuts? candy? suggestions appreciated- located in midtown Manhattan) and writing a card to my manager. I'm also thinking about sending out an email to my entire team just saying thanks for everything once I actually leave. Maybe candy since one of my team members is on vacation, and I worked closely with him for the first couple weeks.

    If I do get something for my team, what would be the best time to distribute it? I'm thinking in the afternoon before I leave and when I'm saying my goodbyes. Or maybe when I arrive in the morning? I'd have to come with everything in the morning since I have a team farewell lunch.

    submitted by /u/just_another_shadow
    [link] [comments]

    Is this typical in negotiations?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 08:03 PM PDT

    I'm currently looking for my second job. There's nothing wrong with my current job, and I can stand to stay a bit longer, but that nagging feeling is starting the enter my head where I find myself having occasional negative thoughts towards the company, and just wanting to find something else in general.

    So, I've been casually looking. I send out a few resumes a week, and am occasionally getting interviews. In the past week, two of these interviews have converted to job offers. However, I declined both, in fact after my second round interviews with both companies (after a background interview and a technical interview) I said I wasn't interested in the company and asked to drop out of the application process.

    In each case, the company followed up with me and offered me a fairly high salary in order to reconsider, much higher than I was planning to ask for, and both times I had not yet given a salary number in our discussions.

    I'm somewhat inexperienced with interviews so I'm not sure if this is a fluke and the company is bad at negotiating, I managed to find some desperate companies, or if this is fairly standard and that a strategy of making a good impression and then walking away can often times cause the company to act first to keep you. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Aazadan
    [link] [comments]

    Strange feelings: does anyone else feel that the more you understand/learn, the less valuable you think your skills are worth?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2018 10:07 PM PDT

    For example, the more I understand an often deemed "difficult" concept in development, the less mysterious and the more simplistic it seems after I've understood it.

    Although I know that increases my skills, it makes me feel like it is more reasonable to ask the question: "why would anyone pay that much for this additional experience? It's not that hard."

    This makes me feel like I shouldn't be shooting for as high a compensation as others for some reason.

    submitted by /u/bbcjs
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have enough time/energy as a programmer to regularly practice your hobbies?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 08:14 AM PDT

    Particularly creative/intellectual hobbies, whether that be building your own software, music, art, writing, etc.

    submitted by /u/PuppyLand95
    [link] [comments]

    How much SQL would I have to know to answer the hardest system design question you’ve received (or given)?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 10:24 AM PDT

    I'm specifically referring to software engineer interviews. I've heard that some companies' interviewers want specific queries and lines of SQL in your answer to their design problems, and I have no experience with SQL.

    Do I need to have a strong grasp of it to stand a chance, or can I just learn a bit? If so, what resources do you recommend to prepare?

    submitted by /u/Appare
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to ask my recruiter for deadline extension?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 04:30 PM PDT

    I recently received a new grad FTE offer from Microsoft (the total comp is less than I was expecting to be honest), and my recruiter is quite aggressive and told me I have 2 weeks to accept even though I haven't even received the written offer letter yet (she said it's coming in the next few days). I have onsite interviews coming up with Facebook and Google, but I definitely won't get the results until after Microsoft's deadline. Is it reasonable to ask my recruiter to give me until end of September to consider the offer, and if so what's the best reason to give her? Should I mention the offer is less than I was expecting? I'm all ears for any thoughts and advice.

    submitted by /u/bobross12312
    [link] [comments]

    non-CS job vs Data Analyst Position at Terrible Company

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 05:25 PM PDT

    Self-taught. So-so resume, improving it leisurely but in no hurry. I was astounded when I actually got a response from a Big Company™ saying they like the cut of my jiib and want to interview me. Phone interview went great, next is the real interview. So I actually decided to do my due diligence and look up the company as well as the person doing the interview. Kinda regret that I did, but I see why they reached out to my so-so self. Company:

    • Mislead investors, clients, and the government
    • investors (several fatcats including google) sued
    • both founders tried to grab and dash to the tune of a quarter-billion dollars. Judge told them they can't leave the country, lawsuit by investors later dropped as long as the founders agreed to limit themselves to the BoD and not touch anything
    • numerous rounds of layoffs, all teams gutted
    • no CEO for a long time after both founders were told to take a hike

    On the flip-side, while I love my job at the moment, the pay is peanuts, there is no progression, I'm in a non-CS position. Even if Terrible Company pays garbage money, it will be 10 grand more than I currently make.

    Advice?

    submitted by /u/kelvin_klein_bottle
    [link] [comments]

    Help please

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 04:56 PM PDT

    Hey guys, made a new account here in a hurry. I'm a cs student at the end of my undergrad studies. I didn't know where to post it exactly so I've decided to post in a cs career related sub.

    I've had a couple of rough years behind me loosing focus on my studies, mounting problems at home and general laziness, I've crept slowly back up again, but I'm now behind my peers who I've started with by almost 2 and a half years. I have little work experience (well that once internship ages ago doesn't count for much), my grades fell from really good to average at best and I haven't done that much extra CS stuff outside of school. I've recently started to get into hardware programming and was also starting to read some intro works for the linux kernel but I still haven't recovered the burning passion I've started with.

    Seeing so many of my peers advancing and starting their careers in really good positions, seeing other cs people seemingly spend so much time on interesting stuff and reading about hiring requirements of software developers makes me feel like I am lazy and wasting my life. At this point, I don't even know why anyone would hire me...

    Family is already pressuring every day about finishing and a job and I honestly feel ashamed by telling people increasingly far-fetched justifications.

    Now the application deadline for an entry into a graduate program next term have either passed for some universities or are about to expire and I haven't even started with my thesis, yet organized it. So there might be another term wasted by just.....not doing well enough apparently.

    I'm a mess right now, having a bit of a panic attack really and am on the verge of a breakdown :(... I guess I realized the full extend of my problems. I could really need some advice and help by fellow cs people!

    Sorry for the rambling....

    submitted by /u/fishinabowl1
    [link] [comments]

    Best time to apply for summer internships?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 06:12 PM PDT

    Hello everybody!

    I'm currently a college student getting ready to start my second year of college and therefore, I want to start looking for summer internships. But I believe it will be quite hard to find one since just last quarter I took my first CS class and haven't taken important classes such as data structures. So I was wondering when is the best time to apply in terms of the school year you are in. I'm still going to apply for internships with my very limited experience so I was also wondering when do summer internships usually open up?

    submitted by /u/The_Foren
    [link] [comments]

    How important is assembly/systems programming?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 02:38 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've been enjoying and doing well in most of my CS classes - I loved discrete math and data structures/algorithms.

    Systems programming on the other hand... I just passed the class and I have no idea what I learned. None of it made any sense to me. It took me hours upon hours to write the simplest loops and instructions in assembly, and I honestly have no idea how I passed.

    Is this something that comes up in industry? Is it worth me trying to figure this stuff out on my own time, or can I just move on and never look back...

    submitted by /u/CulturalDate2
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to prepare to leave new grad position job after 1.5 years?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 01:32 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm currently a new grad hire for a competitive, but admittedly middle-tiered tech/banking company. I've somehow managed to be promoted to a Senior Developer after one year - most likely due to my work ethic and devotion to the company as well as being a very fast learner.

    I'm planning on leaving this company and start applying in half a year and wish to move to up to the top-tiered companies in Silicon Valley. My question is what is the best way to prepare and get interviews for a great company given the current hiring environment? How often do these sort of Big-N companies hire employees from a lower tiered company? Should I restrict myself into applying for non-Senior level positions? Any insights would be very, very appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone and happy-almost-end-of-the-week!

    submitted by /u/cayooreddit
    [link] [comments]

    What's it like to have a remote software developer job?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 01:31 PM PDT

    Currently working for a large bank and while I ahve overall enjoyed the experience, the commute is pretty tough. Was wondering if anyone here was working remote and could provide insight into what it's like to work in such a style.

    Would you recommend it? What downsides are there that you didn't expect there to be? What is the most positive upside?

    Also, for anyone pursuing such a job, what advice do you have? Especially for a recent grad who has been working for a little over a year.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/The_Imerfect_Mango
    [link] [comments]

    Is it okay to do a internship even after graduating?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 04:27 PM PDT

    I'm gonna be graduating in Spring 2019 and I recently found out that a company that I really want to work for won't be hiring software engineers(new Grad) for 2019 because the spots are reversed for the summer interns from 2018. I'm considering applying for their summer software engineer 2019 internship but i don't know if thats a smart move. what do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/ParkingCaptain
    [link] [comments]

    What is considered a "bad" GPA?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 06:34 PM PDT

    Hey so I see people consistently talking on here about how they have terrible GPAs...but never really describing what constitutes a terrible GPA? I have a 3.15 in a double major with CS/Stats at a top ~25 (in CS) school. Is this considered terrible? I have had some issues my first two years, and through some alternate choices could have definitely had like ~3.5 (meaning that a 3.15 definitely feels bad to me).

    submitted by /u/ChainsawCain
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling nervous / under qualified about a new position offered to me. I'm a sophomore in College who's been coding for < 1 year.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 06:24 PM PDT

    Hello,

    Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but currently I feel under qualified for a position I'll most likely be accepting, and I don't know what to do or how to feel about it. I'm wondering if this is a normal dilemma for people to go through when they accept their first real developer position.

    In the fall, I'll be a second year Computer Science student. Before I came to University, I didn't know anything about code, but I've been told by many that I'm a quick learner and that I'm ahead of others my age. I don't mean to sound like I'm boasting since I'm actually looking for legitimate advice, so here's my question:

    My problem is that I feel under qualified for this position since it is in a language that isn't particularly my strongest (Python) and uses many micro-service technologies that I'm not very familiar with. However, at the same time I feel like I could do really well at this new company and learn a lot. The offer is a part time position that pays double what I currently make at my shitty part time job I worked last year during school, and offers work from home since I will be going back to school at the time of my start date.

    I just finished my first internship at a bank in upstate NY, and although I felt like it was slightly unfulfilling (doing SQL work in an outdated query language, using closed license software, very boring project, etc.), my older friends who have gone off to graduate and receive full time positions at companies like Amazon, Bloomberg, Cisco, etc. have told me it was a really good start, and that I should use it as a "stepping stone" for the rest of my career.

    Is this a normal feeling for people when they get their first legitimate position, or any new position for that matter? Should I be nervous? How can I make the most out of my new job if/when I accept it while trying to balance a heavy course load during school?

    submitted by /u/johnjk456
    [link] [comments]

    Recently started a job. How can I be a better employee and start excelling in my career before graduating?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 11:30 AM PDT

    Well, a job as in more of a long term internship, developing web apps, hired by an IBM old timer, earning decent pay, covering expenses like commute and meals, bonuses from projects and also a great potential for the place to grow and me to grow with it, pretty great job for a 23 year old Bachelor student in my opinion.

    But I feel like a bad employee a bit, it's been a month, we've been mostly doing learning activities and will start our actual project next week as teams of 2 and I don't really feel ready.

    I have one last semester to graduate and will continue working before, during and after it, I also have good faith in current and future projects we do.

    Problem is, I feel lazy and really not used to working, my boss wants us to be more 'autonomous', make our own decisions, find our own ways to complete a task, he is still pretty helpful but I do want to be autonomous, problem is I have no idea what I'm doing.

    I watch videos on Udemy or look up a problem on Stackoverflow but still feel clueless about code I write or things I learn, I also feel frustrated a lot, take breaks like every 2 hours, sometimes just browse Reddit.

    This is probably the best opportunity that ever happened to me and I want to make the most of it, I just don't know how. So basically, my problems are:

    1. How can I learn to make my own decisions on a project

    2. How can I stop slacking off and be more focused on the code

    3. Is it possible to make the learning less frustrating?

    4. How should I approach a project?

    5. What can I do to excel more in my career? Or how can I answer the question of what to do to excel in my career?

    6. How can I balance my life while trying to excel? While I want to excel in my career, I want to keep it in my 09:00-18:00 shift as much as possible, still I am willing to spend personal time if necessary, just curious if it is possible to both excel as much as possible while having a balanced life.

    Probably asking some difficult questions but like I said, best opportunity I ever got and I want to make the best of it, I have full faith in projects and company and my boss seems to have full faith in me so I want to do my best.

    submitted by /u/Psuedopean
    [link] [comments]

    Bootcamp After CS Degree?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 11:20 AM PDT

    I took mostly business, design, and statistics courses for 2.5 years of college. I suddenly decided to change to CS degree because of the job prospect (as well as my interest in building cool things that improve peoples' lives). So, I pretty much spent less than 3 semesters cramming for course materials, exams, and passing the CS major requirement classes, instead of doing a lot of side projects and actually understanding the programming fundamentals. I also got really lucky that my group project partners carried me through the class projects. So, even though I have a CS degree from a "sorta accredited" university (just graduated this May), I don't have enough practical skills and am struggling to find a software development engineer job on the West coast. So, I want to gain a lot of project experience ASAP. I'm considering CS bootcamps like General Assembly, Thinkful, Code Fellows. I'm a very hard worker, and I know you get what you put in. I regret not putting in enough time to practice coding in college when I was cramming to finish the major. Now, I'm seeking guidance on getting a game plan, more project experience, as well as having someone whom I can ask coding questions whenever I'm stuck (like a tutor or professor in office hours). I want to get a SDE job or UX developer (still technical) ASAP since the longer I'm unemployed the riskier it is in getting jobs, especially when there are new talents coming out any minute. This is why I'm considering coding bootcamp because it seems to be able to accelerate my hands on experience. Any suggestions please? Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/inspirit16
    [link] [comments]

    Do data analysts make significantly less than software engineers, and can I break in to this field while focusing mostly on Python and SQL?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 10:31 AM PDT

    To start off, I am about to graduate with a degree in CS and I live in San Jose, California. I absolutely love data, and all of the incredible information you can glean from it. My end goal is to earn a masters or PhD in a data science related field. I've heard a lot that data analyst jobs are just glorified excel users, and that they make much less than "regular" software engineering jobs. Will being proficient in SQL and Python allow me to land a job that is more interesting and will help prepare me more for graduate school? I don't mind making a bit less than I would if I went the SE route, but I also want to be able to afford rent in my area and save a bit for grad school. My main goal is to just learn as much as I can about working with data.

    submitted by /u/HiddenData
    [link] [comments]

    How well did programming jobs hold up during the recession

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 01:17 AM PDT

    Hi, right now I've been studying how well different industries held up during the Great Recession of 2008. How well would you guys say the tech industry held up during the Great Recession?

    submitted by /u/Katie_Sometimes
    [link] [comments]

    Should I become IT Consultant or software engineer?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 02:05 PM PDT

    Im an electrical engineer graduate with little experience. After long months of job hunting I have finally been offered 2 jobs at the same time.

    One of them is an international consulting company. After being recommended by a freind there, I had one phone interview and then they proceeded with documents and HR. Now they are asking me to start working without even having in person interview or explaining the terms or salary.

    The other one is small software development company. They are working on implementing a solution project for a medium sized company and renovating the website. The project is to be done in 4 months where i "may" be assigned to manage and maintaine it after. Then to lead new hires over it. Salary and terms will be explained to me in the next meeting.

    My passion is software development. However im scared of having regret of turning down a consultant job where I get to meet and connect with lots of people, and have the privileges of seeing big projects. I prefer to have less social interaction with clients, however i understand that can be limiting my networking circle. Im a lost confused graduate. Whats your advice??

    submitted by /u/TheCoffeeRabbit
    [link] [comments]

    Technical Skills vs Soft Skills

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 08:46 PM PDT

    For the recruiters out there, which is more important? What would you say are specific skills that would grab your attention on someone's resume?

    submitted by /u/ShuaiGeuy
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had luck landing a junior-level internship as a sophomore?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2018 10:49 AM PDT

    I'm currently looking at positions for next summer, and a lot of places of interest specifically require a graduation date of 2020 or sooner. Should I send in an application anyway? I'm afraid I'll look like I'm wasting the recruiters' time and hurt my chances of landing an interview for next year.

    submitted by /u/argonauticals
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment