• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 5, 2018

    What is going to happen to Atom now that Microsoft owns GitHub? Ask Programming

    What is going to happen to Atom now that Microsoft owns GitHub? Ask Programming


    What is going to happen to Atom now that Microsoft owns GitHub?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:09 PM PDT

    I don't think merging it with vs code will be an easy endeavor. Is it dead?

    submitted by /u/CarlosTheCoder
    [link] [comments]

    What's the most difficult thing you've ever programmed?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 05:35 PM PDT

    What's the most difficult and/or "I can't believe this works" thing you've ever done, and optionally for the sake of discussion, did you learn anything cool from it?

    Just something I saw in another sub and thought I'd ask here.

    submitted by /u/_The_Glitch_
    [link] [comments]

    Have a lot of extra time at my job as a QA engineer, what is a good way to spend it?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 03:44 PM PDT

    I have my first dev job working remotely doing QA stuff for a small startup. Recently, the Sr level dev I reported to left the company, and I'm kind of stuck in a limbo with my tasks until they find a replacement.

    I've already wrapped up all my tickets and have gone back and refactored some of my code (I'm the only QA dev currently). The front-end test suite is pretty much "complete" at this point. I've asked other C-level people at the company what I can work on, but I've been able to wrap that stuff up quickly, too.

    I want to prove I am valuable to this company. I can always go back and refactor (which I have been doing a lot these past weeks), but what would an experienced dev do in a situation like this? Any QA/DevOps people out there have suggestions? How can I make my Selenium test suite more awesome?

    As it stands, the test suite runs Selenium headlessly in Docker and I'm going to be exploring CI/CD with Codeship.

    submitted by /u/midnightvoyager
    [link] [comments]

    Opening/Converting a RIFX file?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 04:56 PM PDT

    So I'm putting together a game pack for Vinesauce comprised of some old Nickelodeon games from the Internet Archive, but I've hit a snag. One game itself, which came from a .sit file, is just a generic "file". I opened it in wordpad and noted the extension RIFX, which from what I understand is an ancestor to RIFF.

    So what I need to know, and pretty much explained in terms a non-programmer would understand, is how to get this one open, or converted to a filetype that would open, and in the end make it easier for Vinny to run once/if he gets to it.

    submitted by /u/PaulrusKeaton
    [link] [comments]

    What is mapping an old range of numbers to a new range of numbers called? Is there a word for it? And is there an online converter that does this?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:38 PM PDT

    In particular, is there an excel command that does this?

    submitted by /u/rci22
    [link] [comments]

    Satellite Image Processing

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 04:37 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I'm a novice trying to start a project to analyze a satellite image and determine the amount of specific objects in an image.

    Does anyone have any resources they recommend I look at? Maybe there are existing threads I should read through?

    I plan on using Python, but I'm open to using other languages if there's a good reason. I want to see if I can apply some basic, "out-of-the-box" machine learning packages to assist in image processing.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TubaStealer
    [link] [comments]

    What are some examples of radical/subversive programming?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:30 AM PDT

    I am curious if anyone has any examples or ideas of radical programming. I know that anonymous does good work, but I'm talking more like apps for the less fortunate if that makes sense. Perhaps online places where people can organize for the good of their communities or workplaces? Maybe something like an app that could instruct you what to do if unjustly pulled over by the police, that kind of stuff.

    Thanks for entertaining the question!

    submitted by /u/trinkettrinkettrinke
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a simple way to parse digit by digit in a txt file that contains a list of 80 digit numbers?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 06:28 PM PDT

    I have a txt file with 1000000 digits of pi. I'm trying to make a program that could go to an arbitrary point in the number and take an arbitrary number of digits following that point. I am new to programming, so the only way I know would be to extract the desired line as a string. The string could then be parsed back into digits, however this seems a little round about. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Quantumlyhigh
    [link] [comments]

    gfortran doesn't compile code written in ifort. Is there a free compiler more similar to ifort? Or is there a way to simply translate my ifort code to be readable by gfortran?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:29 PM PDT

    I'm using someone else's code and some of the .f90 files compile. But other ones result in errors such as:

    IF ( ALPHA .eqv. 0.D0 ) THEN

    1

    Error: Operands of logical operator '.eqv.' at (1) are REAL(8)/REAL(8)

    Not sure what this means, but I believe it is because I am using gfortran instead of the ifort the code was built for. Any suggestions are welcome.

    submitted by /u/RickAndMorty101Years
    [link] [comments]

    How does code connect to the rest of the software?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 01:44 PM PDT

    Like, I can make a basic program that does something, but let's say I want to make a game. How do I get the program I write to work with all the visual stuff, if that makes sense? Or like when you make an app in android studio, how do you connect the Java to the stuff that appears on the phone? I still don't understand how that works.

    submitted by /u/imsotired1234
    [link] [comments]

    Best/easiest way of building an application with a nice and easy to use UI?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:34 PM PDT

    Hi, I've been progamming most of my life in some capacity. I've tinkered over the years with Java, C, heaps of Matlab/Octave, linux scripting, a bit of Pascal from my early days and recently I've touched some Python. However, all of that was only at a comand line level, linux script or for crunching numbers for scientific problems. so mainly data in, data out. done

    I want to get a bit more serious about programming now and have an idea in mind that I would like to get started on. First tinkering a bit as a hobby (much to learn I have) and if it matures nicely I might want to sell it as a product that I can ship later.

    I have a rough sketch for the program, a way I'd like to do the UI, etc.

    However, I've never designed a UI (except for some buttons and text) for a product and put it together as a program. I'm not even sure where to start to do this properly. So before I dash off doing just something I thought I'd ask what's sort of the en vogue platform to develop something like that today. Which one gives me the most easiest access to graphical libraries where I don't have to reinvent the wheel for plotting and controling scatter plots, splines, maybe even 3D surfaces.

    I'm kind of language-agnostic, so what I'm looking for is a programming environment (IDE, language, external libraries) that allows me to easily build a UI with attractive elements and libraries to plot graphs and stuff. Ideally a platform that does not come with strings attached. (pricing, licensing, etc.)

    Not sure why, but my google kungfu has yielded mixed results so far.

    What do you guys think, any ideas?

    oh, and OS is Windows.

    Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/I_C_Wiener17
    [link] [comments]

    How do I effectively communicate a problem to others?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:14 PM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I am not good at interpersonal communication, and I have trouble conveying ideas to others. In my own mind, thoughts and ideas make sense, but are usually a stream of consciousness I follow and branch through. That's good enough for me to sit down and do my work.

    However, I have trouble actually organizing my logical thought process in words, in order to explain the steps that got me from point A to point B. When I try to communicate with my colleagues when they ask me questions about work, or if I'm trying to ask someone about something, I usually end up saying a bunch of random stuff. I've tried really hard to explain as much context as I can and to speak in logical steps that flow coherently, but I feel like I'm missing something because that doesn't work.

    Does anyone have experience with improving this? Maybe a resource to read or tips on how to practice?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/lunrSabr94
    [link] [comments]

    Need help about php

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 03:22 PM PDT

    I am taking an online class about php and there is a little I understood. My grade is low(1.4) and am supposed to do my final project that is due this Sunday, I am really worrying too much. Can anyone help me on my final project. It is all about php (singup, login).

    submitted by /u/jhz100115
    [link] [comments]

    Python multi-threading

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:36 AM PDT

    I have a python script I am running that is behaving strangely and I am trying to get to the bottom of it. The code connects to different hosts and sends/recvs packets. It calls 4 different threads using multiprocessing.Process() in python.

    What I find is an inconsistency with the packet sending/receiving. The packets going in and out should be consistent but I get fluctuations of 600 mS delays to 3 seconds delays (although rare).

    I want to start off my investigation into python multi threading and curious how it works. Does this multithreading put higher priority on certain threads based on something? Are they all supposed to run at 25% CPU capacity?

    My other investigation route will go into the scapy library, which could also be queueing up packets to send but that I will make in another post if I get stuck.

    submitted by /u/khadgarpls
    [link] [comments]

    How do programmers remember so many programming languages without getting confused?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 11:32 PM PDT

    Hi guys, 18y/o newbie here. I started getting into programming and coding around a year and a half ago, studying on my free time from high school. I read around some CVs and some people seem to have worked with every known programming language out there.. My question is: how??

    submitted by /u/Jesooeeta
    [link] [comments]

    C - ptrace() bitwise operation

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:41 AM PDT

    I'm trying to learn more about the ptrace() function and how to use it to set breakpoints. I just found a simple program used to trace a process given its PID, most of the code is straightfoward except for the following:

     if ((orig = ptrace(PTRACE_PEEKTEXT, pid, h.symaddr, NULL)) < 0) { perror("PTRACE_PEEKTEXT"); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } trap = (orig & ~0xff) | 0xcc; 

    What exactly is this last line doing? I'm aware that 0xCC stands for int3 but why is he using these bitwise operations? Can't we just set trap = 0xCC to simulate the software interrupt?

    submitted by /u/BubbleBassOrder
    [link] [comments]

    I need to create a photolabeling program and I don't even know where to start.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:54 AM PDT

    One of my bosses that I work for asked me to make a program with GUI that can grab photos from one folder, labels the photo with the file name of the photo and puts it inside the photo on the bottom of the edge of that photo (sort of like a timestamp on the photo, but instead it's the filename), and then finally compress it and move it to a new folder.

    He emphasized that he wanted the program to be as quick as possible because right now the photolabeler he uses is quite slow. I would have to do this for a folder containing 400 photos about every 2 weeks.

    I don't know what language I should do this in but the majority of my coworkers recommended using Visual Studio. Others recommended I use software such as Matlab. I've never written code except in college and I don't even know how to make an executable or even go past the initial coding phase to get my user interface to work. I'm kind of a little lost here and need some guidance.

    submitted by /u/Bricely
    [link] [comments]

    Null Object References?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:54 AM PDT

    Hi there,

    I've been getting a Null Object Reference on the following method for a little while now, I've looked through it a bunch of time but can't seem to figure it out - although I'm pretty sure it's quite simple.

    I'd prefer guidance/advice rather than a solution as I would like to fully understand the problem myself, thank you!

    Code: https://pastebin.com/6X3aaibG

    submitted by /u/Oene-
    [link] [comments]

    How do you program a table of contents in which you can rearrange the titles?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:42 AM PDT

    By that I mean lets say you have:

    I-Animal

    _a) Dog

    _b) Cat

    II-Fruit

    _a) Apple

    _b) Orange

    But you want to be able to switch I-a) and I-b) or change the "importance ?" of the title like Apple becoming a III-

    How can I do that? Is there a name or method that I can search for maybe if it's too hard to explain here.

    Thx,

    submitted by /u/TheArtofWarPIGEON
    [link] [comments]

    With the acquisition of GitHub by Microsoft, will Google, Facebook or Airbnb leave GitHub?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:08 AM PDT

    For me it's one of the issues with this acquisition. Big firms might have private repositories, or don't want to let their public ones on GitHub. Won't it be a problem?

    submitted by /u/Quenhus
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to see when someone else opens my excel document? Is there a macro that would send an email to me each time it was opened/where it was opened?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 08:45 AM PDT

    [HELP] Search and compare items from two arrays

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    Hello everyone !

    I have two arrays like for example:

    $first_array = array(2) { [0]=> object(stdClass)#1 (3) { ["ID"]=> string(6) "1" ["b"]=> string(27) "2" ["c"]=> string(11) "3" } [1]=> object(stdClass)#2 (3) { ["ID"]=> string(6) "10" ["b"]=> string(23) "20" ["c"]=> string(5) "30" } } $second_array = array(1) { [0]=> object(stdClass)#16 (3) { ["ID"]=> string(6) "1" ["attr1"]=> string(27) "2" ["attr2"]=> string(11) "3" } } 

    And i am doing a foreach loop to check what items from first array has the same ID in second array and unify the attributes.

    foreach ($first_array as $item_from_first_array) { foreach ($second_array as $item_from_second_array) { if($item_from_first_array->ID == $item_from_second_array->ID){ $item_from_first_array->attr1 = $item_from_second_array->attr1 ; $item_from_first_array->attr2= $item_from_second_array->attr2; break; } } } 

    The problem is: my first and second arrays have like 10.000+ items each and this foreach loop is shitting on my performance. Anyone have a better solution without doing this foreach loop?

    submitted by /u/Arthurtk2
    [link] [comments]

    Recovering network domain credentials

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:23 AM PDT

    Is there a place where the local computer stores network domain credentials? If so what is the location?

    submitted by /u/N_0_I_Z_E
    [link] [comments]

    Java and Selenium

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 06:30 AM PDT

    package Browser; import org.openqa.selenium.WebDriver; import org.openqa.selenium.firefox.FirefoxDriver; import org.testng.annotations.Test; public class BrowserWindow { @Test public void MyTest() { System.out.println("Welcome to google"); //* Console output System.out.println("Get Driver"); System.setProperty("webdriver.gecko.driver", "C:\\Users\\steven\\Desktop\\Desktop\\SOFTWARE\\geckodriver.exe"); System.out.println("New Driver"); System.out.println("Web Driver Launch"); WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver(); System.out.println("Going to google"); driver.get("https://www.google.com"); System.out.println("Application opened"); System.out.println("Page Title is : "+driver.getTitle()); System.out.println("close"); //**driver.close(); } } 

    When running this code in Eclipse it works fine no errors, but once running in command prompt using java -cp bin;lib/* org.testng.TestNG testng.xml It fails at web driver launch seems like it doesnt like WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver();

    submitted by /u/nedsucks
    [link] [comments]

    How do I go about making cross-platform desktop application?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 05:07 AM PDT

    I'm currently working on a project for myself as a way to improve and learn over the summer. I was hoping to make something more visual for it like a desktop application. I basically want it to run on Linux and Windows 10. I'm alright with creating two different applications for each although that's not really ideal.

    What is the best method for going about making a cross platform application? Most of the code that I have for the project is written in Python 3.6. I just need something that can parse any output printed or something like that.

    I've been thinking about using JavaFx as that seems to have what I'm looking for and I'm comfortable with Java. I know I can use something like Jython with my python (although it looks like Jython hasn't been updated to python 3+). I've also thought about using Electron or something similar because I'm alright with web development but it looks like it could be a resource hog since it uses Chrome. Last one I've looked into was Qt which looks nice since it looks like it plays nice with python and others but I don't know too much about it.

    Any help/suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DaedalusIO
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment