• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 9, 2018

    So what exactly is a framework? learn programming

    So what exactly is a framework? learn programming


    So what exactly is a framework?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 05:00 AM PDT

    So I understand that frameworks are extensions of the languages they're built on, but what is the fundamental difference between a framework and its core language? Why would someone use, for example, Rails, rather than just Ruby? Couldn't you just do everything a framework does with the language it's using?

    submitted by /u/okdenok
    [link] [comments]

    Live Streaming 2 Hours of Intro to Python Class for Absolute Beginners This Sunday at 2:30pm

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 04:39 AM PDT

    Hey there everyone, I will be live streaming an Intro to Python class this Sunday, at 2:30pm EST. In the 2 hour class, I will cover the basics and we will do coding exercises. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1XO9I6b2ao

    Next week, I will be introducing data science related python packages like Numpy and Pandas to process and analyze data.

    Join this Discord Server app if you wish to stay in the loop about future classes: https://discord.gg/9YxR3E4 Thanks! :)

    submitted by /u/g_pal
    [link] [comments]

    IWTL how to think properly for coding.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:28 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm new to coding and I've been learning Python. This sounds stupid but I feel really dumb because it's hard for me to think about the code. I think I'm better at things like writing rather than thinking logically. All the logic, abstract thinking and numbers make my head hurt, even the simplest stuff like coding the while loop for Fibonacci sequence...I feel like it's a completely different universe to what I'm used to. :( Will it get better? Please help me.

    submitted by /u/rapidash14
    [link] [comments]

    Is C# difficult or is it just me?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 04:16 PM PDT

    I know a little about html and thats it. I got a job recently that requires me to learn c# and they have me on Pluralsight taking the course and watching videos on it. I am completely lost. I made it thought the first begginers section and idk what the hell is going on. So my question to expereinced programmers is: is c# a difficult language to learn compared to other languages? Or am I just having difficulty because its really the first language I'm learning? Or am I just a dumb who needs a different job?

    submitted by /u/DeathSec93
    [link] [comments]

    What is this comma-separated 'while' condition in javascript?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 10:10 PM PDT

    while ((done = i == array.length, !done)) {

    const value = array[i++];

    sum += value;

    }

    return sum;

    I've googled and couldn't find anything about testing extra expressions in a while statement. I've tested various ways and it's confusing me. Does either one have to be false to break out of the while loop? What is going on?

    It's from this site

    submitted by /u/LoveandRockets
    [link] [comments]

    Made a simple pixel sorting algorithm, the result is not what I expected, what exactly is happening here?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 07:21 PM PDT

    This is a pretty simple program. All I'm doing is taking the color of every pixel as an int and sorting them. I was expecting to get a perfect gradient of colors from black to white but the resulting image has a lot of jagged edges and I'm not sure why. If you're not too familiar with how colors are stored in java this post explains it clearly. I was expecting colors with a lot of blue and very little red and green to come first, then colors with a lot of green and little red and blue, then colors with a lot of red... etc. It kind of does just that but there's a lot of jagged lines and I'm not sure why that's happening. Can someone help me understand why the result looks like this and not a perfect gradient?

    I thought it could have been because some color values had a value of 0 for the red, green, or blue channels, but I tried setting the minimum values to 1 and it kind of smoothed it out a bit but it's still jagged. Interesting result though.

    Here's my code.

    And here are some examples

    submitted by /u/VelvetRevolver_
    [link] [comments]

    How's It Made..???

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 05:37 PM PDT

    I've recently been fascinated on how emoji's are developed and launched... and how all they work.. im complete noob here, if anyone could explain and maybe give tips, it would be great

    THANKS x)

    submitted by /u/shankcr_NK
    [link] [comments]

    Problem with Wordpress and including JQuery

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:51 PM PDT

    I've got a wordpress plugin that is not working correctly. One problem is that I'm having to add multiple references to jQuery within the same page. (one in the header and again inside the plugin's um-scripts.min.js file)

    First, JQuery is getting included in the header of the page. One of the php files within wordpress is writing the line:

    <script type='text/javascript' src='https://legacy-wow.com/wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js?ver=1.12.4'></script> 

    Which should be including jquery, as far as my understanding goes.

    But the code will not run correctly. I don't get an error in the chrome dev console but the code isn't doing what it's supposed to (in this case showing a div).

    If I add this line to the top of the .js file though, it runs correctly and the div is shown and everything is great.

    document.writeln('<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.12.4/jquery.min.js"></script>'); 

    What does the "ver=1.12.4" actually do in the script source block after the filename? I'm just curious of the answer to that as well.

    I probably worded this very poorly but any information would be super helpful.

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/darkspy13
    [link] [comments]

    best java course to take while having some experience ?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 10:35 PM PDT

    so i've been taking java in college for about year and i want to expand on it more but i have no idea where to begin . so can you recommend me the best course to take ?

    submitted by /u/ApTreeL
    [link] [comments]

    Learning web design resources

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 10:23 PM PDT

    I just graduated from the General Assembly web dev bootcamp. I definitely learned a lot but I of course still have so much more to learn. One of my biggest weaknesses is web design and CSS. I am starting the google design course on Monday https://material.io/collections/developer-tutorials/#web. After a short two day weekend of decompressing. Are there any more recommended online courses for web design? My portfolio and portfolio projects need better design. I would love to show my projects and portfolio after some polish. Heres the only one I am proud to show atm. http://dejafood.herokuapp.com/ Thank you.

    submitted by /u/online_slacker
    [link] [comments]

    Coding in plain English

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 10:14 AM PDT

    I work on a team at Virginia Tech that made a free online tool that allows you to learn basic concepts of coding while coding in plain English called GameChanginner. This lets you learn coding practices and concepts without learning a new language. It's aimed at students K-12 although I find it's especially good for about 3rd-8th grade. For those of you who are younger, want a simple introduction to coding, or have kids you like to introduce it to. The program lets you code to make your own video games and usually it takes kids of the above age range about 5 hours to understand everything they can do with the program. There are tutorials in text and videos. I'm not sure if I can post a link to it but if you're interested, DM me and I'll point you to our page or you can Google Game Changineer.

    submitted by /u/gamechangineer
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone tell me what language I've been programming in?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:12 AM PDT

    Bit of an odd question. I have been writing QA automation for my software company for a few months - I picked up the leftover (broken) code from several others who have since left the company. I'm self taught in PHP and the fundamentals are all the same, so I've been writing tests through trial and error until I got the hang of it, but I have no idea what language this is, no one trained me. It's very embarrassing. My social anxiety is too high to ask a coworker for help at this point, I'd rather quit. What are some syntax tells that I can check to find out what language this is?

    Here's an example;

    function imAnIdiot (y, z) {

    var x;

    x = "This is a String";

    Log["Message"]( x + " This is an appended string to the variable." + y + z);

    if (y == 5) {

    return result = z;

    }

    }

    I'm using TestComplete to write it all, they say they can use;

    • JavaScript
    • JScript
    • Python
    • VBScript
    • DelphiScript
    • C#Script
    • C++Script

    so I tried to look at code examples, and I think its either C++ or JavaScript, but the way variables are defined doesn't look like C++ and the whole Log["Message"] square brackets doesn't seem to be Javascript?

    submitted by /u/layoxx
    [link] [comments]

    Utilizing Github Pages

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:58 PM PDT

    Hi! recently started to learn to program in JavaScript by doing things i'm interested on since i never continue those online classes. I managed to make an Interactive xG Model and created a Github Page to upload it, but I can't seem to find a way to link both the Main Github Page with the actual thing that I made.

    Should i just use a hyperlink to that web address or is there a way to upload the project into the pages?

    submitted by /u/K6IsntDead
    [link] [comments]

    What are effective ways to organise coding project files and folders?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:04 PM PDT

    I'm hoping this is considered on topic, but someone could give me some advice on how to organise the folder structure on my PC to prepare for using git and developing projects?

    I know its an open-ended question and everyone will probably have a different idea of what is best, but I have genuine issues with being orderly and trying to make a decision is driving me nuts so I'd appreciate any feedback.

     

    I'm currently doing CS50, Freecodecamp, and have a couple of personal projects I'm trying to work on (building a roguelike in python for example) but my disorganisation is holding me back, hence deciding to start using git and try to develop a workflow.

    I've got currently got files and folders everywhere.

     

    Does it make more sense to:

    a) have one git folder containing all repositories, and separate folders elsewhere for notes and resources on each project

     

    b) Have one development folder with sub-folders for each course or project, with a separate git folder within each project sub-folder

     

    c) Have one development folder with subfolders sorted by each technology (Python/React/Whatever), and projects stored under whichever applies [^ a friend suggested this, but I think it might hard to apply consistently]

     

    I've seen variants of all these suggested - what do you guys do, and what are the pros and cons?

    submitted by /u/SlowbeardiusOfBeard
    [link] [comments]

    Made a little toy to visualize sorting algorithms

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:16 AM PDT

    Made a little web toy to visualize sorting algorithms.

    This is a couple of months old already but recent changes to the WebAudio API permissions broke it so I had to fix it recently.

    Also did a little writeup on how it would be better if it was using generators.

    submitted by /u/caspervonb
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with antivirus/malware service

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:17 PM PDT

    Im trying to get into programming. I'm at base zero and figured before I made any movement I should upgrade my antivirus/malware from basic windows defender which I'm sure is sub par. Are there any suggestions for effective platforms out there? I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this post.

    submitted by /u/D_D_Drake
    [link] [comments]

    Hybrid Apps, where should i start?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:13 PM PDT

    So basically, i'm practicing my skills.

    I have this basic CRUD website that is mobile friendly, i want to improve it by making an Android App for it.

    I already made an native android app, pretty simple though.

    My concern is, how would this 2 (Android App and Mobile App) communicate through the Internet?

    I already have the code, i just want to make a wrapper (app) for Android for my web application.

    submitted by /u/popoysegundo
    [link] [comments]

    simple http server vs. relative path

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:02 PM PDT

    So... working thru some p5.js examples, and the scripts have all been working fine so far. Now that I'm at the point of running a local web server, using either node with `http-server` or python `http.server`... I'm encountering some problems with relative paths in the `index.html` file provided with the examples.

    The directory structure looks like this:

    monte@cb13 ~/Desktop/p5js/p5 $ tree . ├── addons │ ├── p5.dom.js │ ├── p5.dom.min.js │ ├── p5.sound.js │ └── p5.sound.min.js ├── book-examples │ ├── index.html │ └── sketch.js ├── empty-example │ ├── index.html │ └── sketch.js ├── p5.d.ts ├── p5.global-mode.d.ts ├── p5.js ├── p5.min.js └── p5.pre-min.js 3 directories, 13 files monte@cb13 ~/Desktop/p5js/p5 $ 

    I'm working with the files in the `book-examples` directory, i.e. `index.html` which looks like this:

    <!DOCTYPE html> 

    <html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="utf-8">
    <meta name="viewport" width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0>
    <style> body {padding: 0; margin: 0;} </style>
    <script src="../p5.min.js"></script>
    <script src="../addons/p5.dom.min.js"></script>
    <script src="../addons/p5.sound.min.js"></script>
    <script src="sketch.js"></script>
    </head>
    <body>
    </body>
    </html>

    But when I run the local server and try to load the page, this is what I get:

    monte@cb13 ~/Desktop/p5js/p5/book-examples $ http-server -c-1 Starting up http-server, serving ./ Available on: http://127.0.0.1:8080 http://192.168.1.102:8080 Hit CTRL-C to stop the server [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.62 Safari/537.36" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /p5.min.js" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.62 Safari/537.36" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /p5.min.js" Error (404): "Not found" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /addons/p5.dom.min.js" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.62 Safari/537.36" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /addons/p5.sound.min.js" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.62 Safari/537.36" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /sketch.js" "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.62 Safari/537.36" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /addons/p5.dom.min.js" Error (404): "Not found" [Fri Jun 08 2018 20:53:40 GMT-0700 (PDT)] "GET /addons/p5.sound.min.js" Error (404): "Not found" 

    For some reason, it doesn't seem to be recognizing the relative paths correctly.

    FWIW, I get the same thing when I try running `python -m http.server`:

    monte@cb13 ~/Desktop/p5js/p5/book-examples $ python -m http.server Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000 (http://0.0.0.0:8000/) ... 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] code 404, message File not found 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] "GET /p5.min.js HTTP/1.1" 404 - 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] code 404, message File not found 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] "GET /addons/p5.dom.min.js HTTP/1.1" 404 - 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] code 404, message File not found 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] "GET /addons/p5.sound.min.js HTTP/1.1" 404 - 127.0.0.1 - - [08/Jun/2018 20:57:28] "GET /sketch.js HTTP/1.1" 200 - 

    A little help would be much appreciated...

    submitted by /u/memilanuk
    [link] [comments]

    Top Coding Websites Courses For Kids [ 2018 ]

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:21 AM PDT

    Need help choosing between c, c# and c++.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 02:51 PM PDT

    Basically I am kind of "fluent" in JavaScript and python now and would like to learn my next language.. I have been looking at the different c languages and realised they are all different. I really need help choosing one. I would like to be able to use it to code games it does't matter with an engine or not I figured c++ and would like to program embedded systems such as micro controllers which I have worked out c is good for.. However people in all topics I read say that C++ is not good for embedded systems and some people say it is slower. I am really stuck now on what to pick. How similiar are c and c++ and if I learned one would I really need the other? I like the idea of c# but that is a no go since it wouldn't be good for controlling the direct hardware. Please can someone persuade me to go with c++ or c and if you have experience with each one tell me your opinion. :) Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PandaDabPandaPanda
    [link] [comments]

    Offline Learning (Java)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:35 PM PDT

    Hey all!

    I'm going to be deploying for 6 months in a couple weeks and want to learn programming during my free time. I have virtually no experience. I want to learn Java, and focus purely on that one.

    Does anyone know of good references(videos, books, problem sets, necessary software. etc..) that I can download and put onto a hard drive? Any help would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/swuhn
    [link] [comments]

    Not understanding the exact definition of dynamic programming.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 07:49 PM PDT

    I saw an answer on StackOverflow that said "Dynamic programming is when you use past knowledge to make solving a future problem easier". I interpreted this to mean that dynamic programming is when a process like memoization is used.

    However, Wikipedia just says that dynamic programming is when "simplifying a complicated problem by breaking it down into simpler sub-problems in a recursive manner."

    These definitions are different and kind of confusing. So for example, let's say we use recursion to slowly solve Fibonacci. Fibonacci recursive algorithm satisfies the Wikipedia definition... but doesn't satisfy the StackOverflow definition unless we use memoization in our algorithm.

    Also, some people online mentioned top down and bottom up, so wondering how those too play into the definition of dynamic programming. My current understanding is dynamic programming involves both some storage of values (tabulation or memoization), and breaking down problems into smaller sub problems. The breaking down is similar to divide and conquer, except in dynamic programming the sub problems can we overlapping.

    submitted by /u/ayeandone
    [link] [comments]

    Exercises that can help me utilize using multiple classes: C#

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 07:09 PM PDT

    Currently I have reached the Tic-Tac-Toe section of C# Player's Guide, and I just feel absolutely lost. Everything up to that point was easy, and all of a sudden they the book expects us to be able to code this. When I look at the solution to this code, it truly doesn't make sense how we are suppose know most of what is being coded. I'm frustrated, if that wasn't obvious, and was hoping if someone could recommend exercises that would actually make sense that leads up to be able to code a Tic-Tac-Toe game. I appreciate any help that comes my way, thank you.

    submitted by /u/supItsChris
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment