• Breaking News

    Friday, June 8, 2018

    How do you achieve God Mode? Ask Programming

    How do you achieve God Mode? Ask Programming


    How do you achieve God Mode?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:36 PM PDT

    What ways do you use to go from your normal flow state to extreme productive ways?

    submitted by /u/spacebronzegoggles
    [link] [comments]

    I would like to pull contact details from a list from website. Please advise.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:32 PM PDT

    Hi,

    No programming knowledge here.

    I would like to pull all of the contact details from this site into a table (csv,xls,etc) . Is there any tool I can use to do this for this site and other sites in the future?

    submitted by /u/febreezeontherain
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic Memory Allocation of an Array

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 12:36 PM PDT

    I have an assembler that I have coded with the help of a teaching assistant at my university. My professor mentioned today in class that we must implement Dynamic Memory Allocation.

    I have the program written out in a pastebin, if anyone can help me out that would be fantastic. I don't want to paste it in the description because I don't want to get in trouble somehow

    submitted by /u/friendsblow
    [link] [comments]

    My java import is not finding the file but it's at the exact location.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 07:22 PM PDT

    Here is the error from my terminal

    ./core/util/GameDefinitionLoader.java:36: error: package com.sputnik.content.combat does not exist import com.sputnik.content.combat.impl.PlayerDrops; 

    and here is the actual location

    /Users/myname/Sputnik/Source/src/com/sputnik/content/combat/impl/PlayerDrops.java 

    I can't figure out what's wrong. Trying to compile the java to class by using javac and that works on some files but not all. I've even tried moving it in other directories with the same issue.

    Any tips?

    submitted by /u/CireAnod
    [link] [comments]

    What do you guys call the naming style of 3-8 all lowercase letters?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:45 AM PDT

    If you go on GitHub, so many of the project names are 3-8 lowercase letters. So many directories of those projects are 3-8 lowercase letters.

    In the base level directory of most unix OS's, the directories are 3-8 lowercase letters.

    This occurs even if the directory's name is an abbreviation for something a bit longer, and occurs even at the expense of clarity. For example, for the longest time I had no clue what sbin, proc, var were.

    I'm led to believe that this is a stylistic choice among programmers, because it looks cool or something (not making fun of it; it does look cool and adds a level of consistency to directory names).

    Does anyone know of a name of this style?

    submitted by /u/extremeaxe5
    [link] [comments]

    What exactly is an API ?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 03:17 PM PDT

    Hello,

    So I know the technical term API but how does, let's say, steam API differ from a simple MVC site ? . So how is https://api.steampowered.com/IDOTA2Match\_570/GetMatchHistory/V001/?start\_at\_match\_id=27110133&key=\<key\> different from, let's say, www.something.com/forum/viewthread/205 ?

    They both have some kind of an action - viewthread/getmatchhistory and some parameters.

    Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/kozeka
    [link] [comments]

    Question about current homework

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:40 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I am looking for possible approaches to create a sample schedule that a student would put classes that were on a list into their proper slots on a week-at-a-glance type schedule. Most of this project is being done in HTML and JavaScript, and I have no clue where to start making this table, and sorting them by class, day, and time. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. If I wasn't specific enough above, I need to make it so this table contains the days of the week horizontal, and the time slots on the vertical. The class will have to line up generally to the right time slot, as there are varying class times, not just every hour.

    submitted by /u/joiner21
    [link] [comments]

    Determine whether a requested vector is possible given a list of vectors with fixed direction and variable magnitude

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 12:18 PM PDT

    How easy/hard is it to create a third party chronological Instagram App?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 03:16 PM PDT

    We know Instagram's algorithm prefers to choose what posts it wants to show you. But if you go to a person's profile page, you still see their posts in chronological order.

    How hard will it be to make an app or a browser plugin where:

    • Get all accounts followed by this user
    • Go to those profiles and get all the posts newer than the last time this app was used
    • Sort by newest on top (or oldest, set in preference)
    • Display it for the user in that order

    Bonus question: I know Instagram will frown on this, but is this legal or illegal?

    submitted by /u/ninjaso
    [link] [comments]

    Programming Notebook on a budget

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 03:03 PM PDT

    Hi folks from r/askprogramming, first of all I'm not sure if I violate any rules by posting this question, so I apologize in advance.

    I need a laptop for programming on a budget. I did some research but can't quite come to a solution. Since I heard that Thinkpads are good for this task, I thought of a Lenovo ThinkPad E580. I would take this configuration, but with 8GB of RAM. Do you guys think that would be sufficient? 500€ is really my upper limit in terms of money.

    I would need to run Visual Studio 2017 and IntelliJ, both as community editions. I also like to use Visual Studio Code for PowerShell Scripts and Markdowns. Other stuff I frequently use is XMind for mindmaps, Notepad++ for text files, and basic office stuff like Word, Excel and Outlook. Maybe I also need to use NetBeans in the future, not really sure. Graphics are not an issue, since I do my gaming on other devices, and I have a Raspberry Pi for all my Linux needs. I don't do high end stuff, since I am still a software developer trainee, although I will finish my education in about a year.

    I would really appreciate any help, since I don't know much about hardware at all.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Honduriel
    [link] [comments]

    Python Autoflake question

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 10:15 AM PDT

    autoflake is a package in python that removes unused imports in a file, in addition to other functions.

    The problem I have is that autoflake keeps an import if it finds a keyword that matches the import name in the file. Is this built by design? Is there a way to bypass it?

    Example,

    I have import Select in my code.

    The only place where I have the word "select" is function (name = "x", select_tab = "y)

    It looks like a potential solution to my problem is having autoflake only keep imports that it finds followed by a period in the program.

    def function (x)

    Select.search(arguments)

    autoflake link: https://pypi.org/project/autoflake/

    submitted by /u/metalloidica
    [link] [comments]

    Technical Term for client only JavaScript Webapplication

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:34 AM PDT

    Hi, I made a website, that uses machine learning to classify scan data (https://malscc.de). Everything is done using JavaScript on the client side, so the server just serves a static website. It's all OpenSource which is why I am writing the docs at the moment. How would you call such an application? I want to write something like:

    MalSCC is a <technical term here> to classify scan data using machine learning. That means all your data is safe, because everything happens right in your browser!

    For the server it's a static website, but the user experience isn't static. With the shift of desktop applications into the browser, there must be a technical term for it, right?

    submitted by /u/allinonemovie
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone really write requirements before writing the code?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 04:41 AM PDT

    I work at a big corporation and tbh it's getting really annoying if not tiresome with all the fucking bureaucracy i have to do for 50 lines of code delivered.

    Does anyone actually write requirements first and then write the code based on that?

    submitted by /u/justSavinCoolStuff
    [link] [comments]

    Simple Website with DB Normalization

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:07 AM PDT

    Back Story: I created a website for a group of people to store their contact information. Each member of the group submitted their info using a Google Form which I then used to make little html file for each person. Later I made a MyPHP DB, but ran into the issue that a lot of the information is the same. Companies they work for, customers they support, etc... So I want to make a new DB but Normalize it so that I am not repeating info.

    Question: Is it possible to create a normalized DB/tables with a self-submitted form, or or do I need to go in later and massage everything manually? The issue that I have is that I might have 1-2 new people joining the group every month. Suggestions?

    submitted by /u/arfbrookwood
    [link] [comments]

    Really dumb question about inventory programming.

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:02 AM PDT

    I'm not much of a programmer, but I've recently been asked if I would like to attempt to create a simple app that uses a barcode scanner and basically just exports all the scanned information into a text file. I've been asked to do some research and see if I'd be interested in even taking it on. I'm just not sure what resources I should even start with, does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Demons4life
    [link] [comments]

    PDF hell. Best way to extract info from PDFs?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 11:03 AM PDT

    TL;DR: Provincial government provides PDFs. I want to parse the data and make it accessible and searchable on the web.


    Background: The NB government has Question Period about 5 times per month; an hour where the opposition asks questions to the sitting government. QP may not be the most significant information that comes from the legislature but it is the only info that is transcribed by the legislature library. I want to (re)create a site to make that data accessible; perhaps akin to [openparliament.ca](openparliament.ca) but for New Brunswick.

    I had the site running ~2 years ago but my method was copy/pasting the data into a custom desktop app that outputted an XML file. It makes me sad.

    Problem:
    Government refuses to provide their transcripts in an accessible format. They provide PDFs. PDFs suck for open data.

    Goal:
    Be able to reliably and dynamically parse and extract PDF data and use it in a web environment.

    I've Attempted:
    * As stated above I used to copy paste blocks of text from the PDFs. Not fun, not sustainable.
    * Recently I tried pdf2htmlEX to convert the PDFs to HTML which I can easily parse. But it doesn't seem to play nice with Windows.
    * RubyPDF Technologies made a Windows compatible (tool?/extension?/hack?) for pdf2htmlEX which seems promising. I'll continue this route if I don't find a better path.
    * Sites that convert PDFs into HTML via copy/pasting. This method kind of works but isn't dynamic enough for my liking.

    Any advice is welcome.

    submitted by /u/bman1014
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone else think it'd be sick if Windows made a desktop Linux distro?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 11:01 AM PDT

    I love the linux file system. I love sudo apt-get whatever I want. I love installing themes and window managers and making it look however I like.
    I hate that if you remove the sound icon (indicator plugin, specifically) from your panel, that your sound no longer works and you spend 20 minutes figuring out how to redownload fucking SOUND. I hate that pressing mod+W causes my screen to distort for 1.75 seconds before chrome loads properly.

    I love that Windows actually works. That it has only ever fucked up once for me. I love how snappy everything is -- when I click the chrome icon it's open already.
    I hate its labyrinthine file system, with Program Files x86 and Program Files and 198 other folders appearing out of nowhere without you wanting them to. I hate powershell's inability to do anything useful at all, and I hate the "ubuntu subsystem for windows" even more, because of the file system issue, and because everything seems to have to be chmod'd no matter what, every time you open the terminal.

    This is why macOS is to me the ultimate operating system. Aesthetic, productive, and unix-like. However, I don't have money to buy a Mac desktop and I don't feel like hooking up my laptop to screens. Therefore, I would like Windows to make a free Linux distro.

    Do you think it's a possibility? Do you think it would rectify the above issues? Would it be stable? Is it something you even want?

    submitted by /u/reddit_is_r_cringe
    [link] [comments]

    Create a label in Java bytecode

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:59 AM PDT

    I'm trying to implement if statements in bytecode that is generated with my compiler. To do this I can push the values to compare onto the stack, perform a check and then use goto to shift to the if section if it's true otherwise the else section when false.The problem I'm having is that I can use a goto <label> instruction but I haven't created any labels for it to go to.After a lot of looking around I found that jsr can be used. Apparently this is no longer used from Java 7 on ward so there must be an alternative method of doing this.

    How are labels defined in Java byte code?

    submitted by /u/michael2109
    [link] [comments]

    Visual Basic 6 to...

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 02:45 AM PDT

    I'm asking out of curiosity. Our development guy is retiring soon and his development environment/our software is all written in VB6. What would be best to replace VB6 with? (assuming all the time and skills in the world)

    submitted by /u/techyno
    [link] [comments]

    Java vs c# in 2018

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 02:32 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I ve been learning Spring, Spring MVC, Security, Boot and I would say I can make solid apps in it and I know hibernate + Java SE (I can not say I know it perfectly, but I know a lot) and I am student at the university.

    I ve been thinking about switching from java to c#(.net). What do you think? Or should i rather stick with java and get better at java ? To be honest, I am affraid of java complexity. As a person who would like to start working in IT industry and when someone tells me what you need to learn as java developer, it is really scary(for example Java EE) and I feel I cannot learn all of it to be ready... or Is c# as complex as java?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Arthymoon
    [link] [comments]

    Who writes the cool, out of the way stuff?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 09:51 AM PDT

    Ok so here's the question. Who writes and maintains all the neat (imo) parts of supporting software. Things I'm thinking of are code like the cores of web browsers or compilers or device drivers or stuff like that. Obviously someone has to do that work. But all the jobs I see posted online were looking for "web ninjas" or whatever. Obviously those jobs are good but arnt really my jam. I'm just not really a UI/X person. I like programming for other programers. So yah I guess I'm just wondering where those jobs I first described are and how to get them haha.

    submitted by /u/sudo-shutdown
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble matching a regex

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 06:00 AM PDT

    Hey there,

    I'm having trouble getting something that looks regex-y to work.

    I'm working with cassandra syslog audit data which is coming in and being redacted before being stored.

    I have a series of rules which are applied in an awk like manner for SQL value redaction.

    As an example, the following rule

    {

    "case": "/^\\s*INSERT INTO (.*) VALUES .*/i",

    "expr": "{\"$concat\": [\"INSERT INTO \", \"$$1\", \" VALUES ***\"]}",

    },

    Transforms

    "Full Sql": "INSERT INTO \"rollups60\" (key, timestamp, value) VALUES ('10.0.36.80-solr_admin-solr_resources-nodesync_tbl_data_validated', 619076347, 0x00000000) USING TTL 604800;",

    into

    Redact Full Sql": "INSERT INTO \"rollups60\" (key, timestamp, value) VALUES ***",

    What I'm trying to do is figure out how I can write a similar rule, to do a different transformation. This all looks very regex-like, but the regex calculators I'm trying to use don't really see the above rule as a regex.

    The change I'm trying to make pertains to the following rule:

    {

    "case": "/^\\s*INSERT INTO (.*) WHERE .*/i",

    "expr": "{\"$concat\": [\"INSERT INTO \", \"$$1\", \" WHERE ***\"]}",

    },

    Which currently converts this line {important bits in bold}

    select customer_accnt_id,address_id,first_name,last_name,business_name,address_line_1,address_line_2,address_line_3,city,state,zipcode,country,county,primary_address,secondary_address,email_address,phone1_nbr,phone1_ext,phone1_cntry_code,phone1_type,phone1_is_primary,phone_2_nbr,phone2_ext,phone2_cntry_code,phone2_type,phone2_is_primary,srvc_site_type,lot_number,latitude,longitude,military_site,cross_strt1_name,cross_strt2_name,addr_cond_txt,direction,ibi_address,ibi_address_id,last_upd_str_nbr,last_used_time,last_upd_pgm_id,last_upd_system,last_upd_sysusr_id,crt_pgm_id,crt_system,crt_sysusr_id,create_time,last_upd_time from customer.customer_addresses where customer_accnt_id = ? [customer_accnt_id=0413EE8671A990CC0S]

    into

    select customer_accnt_id,address_id,first_name,last_name,business_name,address_line_1,address_line_2,address_line_3,city,state,zipcode,country,county,primary_address,secondary_address,email_address,phone1_nbr,phone1_ext,phone1_cntry_code,phone1_type,phone1_is_primary,phone_2_nbr,phone2_ext,phone2_cntry_code,phone2_type,phone2_is_primary,srvc_site_type,lot_number,latitude,longitude,military_site,cross_strt1_name,cross_strt2_name,addr_cond_txt,direction,ibi_address,ibi_address_id,last_upd_str_nbr,last_used_time,last_upd_pgm_id,last_upd_system,last_upd_sysusr_id,crt_pgm_id,crt_system,crt_sysusr_id,create_time,last_upd_time from customer.customer_addresses where *****\*

    What I'd like to do is convert it to something like this

    select customer_accnt_id,address_id,first_name,last_name,business_name,address_line_1,address_line_2,address_line_3,city,state,zipcode,country,county,primary_address,secondary_address,email_address,phone1_nbr,phone1_ext,phone1_cntry_code,phone1_type,phone1_is_primary,phone_2_nbr,phone2_ext,phone2_cntry_code,phone2_type,phone2_is_primary,srvc_site_type,lot_number,latitude,longitude,military_site,cross_strt1_name,cross_strt2_name,addr_cond_txt,direction,ibi_address,ibi_address_id,last_upd_str_nbr,last_used_time,last_upd_pgm_id,last_upd_system,last_upd_sysusr_id,crt_pgm_id,crt_system,crt_sysusr_id,create_time,last_upd_time from customer.customer_addresses where customer_accnt_id = ? [****]

    Instead of redacting everything after the where clause. I either want to

     

    1. Redact everything inside brackets,

    or ideally

     

    1. Redact everything inside brackets AFTER the where clause

     

    My general plan of attack is to use a regex calculator online like here

     

    To match, but I'm not sure how the conversion works after a match.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/twinkletoes987
    [link] [comments]

    where/how to learn Data Structures(python)?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 08:53 AM PDT

    I'm taking Data Structures(python) for my university Course, anyone has good recommendation ?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/mageri32
    [link] [comments]

    Could string length in Android be causing my app to crash?

    Posted: 08 Jun 2018 05:07 AM PDT

    Hi I've been making a Stoic Reading app and tried it on all of my devices and it works fine, Android Studio doesn't throw up errors either. One Redditor has tried the app on their phone with 4GB RAM but when they go to open one of the texts which is the biggest with just over 43000 characters (see string which is called in linked file) the app crashes for them. It works on my devices with less RAM but it does look like it takes slightly load to initiate the activity. Is there anyway to mitigate this without breaking up the string?

    submitted by /u/EnvironmentalQuail
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment