• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 12, 2018

    Resume Advice Thread - June 12, 2018 CS Career Questions

    Resume Advice Thread - June 12, 2018 CS Career Questions


    Resume Advice Thread - June 12, 2018

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to ask for resume advice and critiques. You should read our Resume FAQ and implement any changes from that before you ask for more advice.

    Abide by the rules, don't be a jerk.

    Note on anonomyizing your resume: If you'd like your resume to remain anonymous, make sure you blank out or change all personally identifying information. Also be careful of using your own Google Docs account or DropBox account which can lead back to your personally identifying information. To make absolutely sure you're anonymous, we suggest posting on sites/accounts with no ties to you after thoroughly checking the contents of your resume.

    This thread is posted each Tuesday and Saturday at midnight PST. Previous Resume Advice Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Daily Chat Thread - June 12, 2018

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 12:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to chat, have casual discussions, and ask casual questions. Moderation will be light, but don't be a jerk.

    This thread is posted every day at midnight PST. Previous Daily Chat Threads can be found here.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [update] $55k offer in NYC

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 03:03 PM PDT

    Previous thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/cscareerquestions/comments/8qbue1/55k_offer_in_nyc/

    Went in today for a negotiation. I explained that $55k after taxes breaks down to $17 an hour. I asked for $70k, and I got it!

    Don't let anyone tell you what you're worth.

    EDIT: 3 year plan:

    Year 2: $75k Year 3: 80k

    submitted by /u/Zanekills
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone had work from home taken away?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 11:59 AM PDT

    My company bought each team member dual monitors and told us to work from home 3 days a week. It was awesome, everyone loved it.

    The team is pretty mature and high functioning. Our business stake holders could tell no discernible difference whether we work from home or not.

    My boss made a knee jerk, fear based decision and revoked WFH on a whim, effective immediately. My team of 8 people are shell shocked. I personally am disgusted.

    Anyone ever had WFH revoked? How did it go for you?

    submitted by /u/SlightRespect7
    [link] [comments]

    Making a bot to apply to jobs

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 01:57 AM PDT

    I'm a recent college grad with a B.S. in computer science actively applying for a job.

    I've been applying a lot lately and I can't help but think that I'm incredibly in efficient at applying, that automating this would be much faster, and that the bot would get to jobs that I never see because I only apply to a few a day.

    I was looking into it and I found this article which informed me that the companies are running bots to filter me anyways so why not automate my side of things? I know the author of this article says that networking is more important, but I don't know anyone in the industry and I think that any calls back are better than no calls back.

    Whats your opinion, is it worth the effort to make a bot?

    submitted by /u/jak34
    [link] [comments]

    What do people in bootcamps learn in 3 months that makes them employable full-time whereas a college student have to go through 4-5 years for full time employment.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 05:12 PM PDT

    I'm very curious as to how a good chunk of bootcamp grads are getting full time offers. For those who graduated bootcamps, did you have to work on your own to self-learn CS topics like Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, CS Theory, Data Structures, and Algorithms or were you able to get jobs without an understanding of those topics.

    submitted by /u/ChancePhotograph
    [link] [comments]

    How important is it to "ask" for promotions?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 07:42 AM PDT

    Before one of my previous managers left the team, he gave me some friendly advice. One of the things he said was that I should have regular conversations with my manager regarding my next promotion, irrespective of how far away it is. About the expected level of performance to get the promo, alternative tracks, next promotion cycle etc. In particular, he told me that I should "pester" my manager for a promotion if I'm serious about it. His reasoning was that if there's two guys on the team who have the potential to be promoted, the one who gets it (if there's only one to give out wrt to promo budget) is the one who pesters him more, because his job as manager is to manage the entire team. So it's in his best interest to give the promotion to the guy who really really wants it, because then that guy will stay behind, not threaten to quit.

    How much do you guys agree? What has been your experience?

    submitted by /u/mbo1992
    [link] [comments]

    Do any of you guys keep track of your daily work and the problems you encounter on the job, and if so, how do you do it?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 11:49 AM PDT

    I recently started working as a software engineer at a startup as my first job out of school, and I'm really liking it so far. However, I've heard time and time again that you should somehow "measure" your impact and your learnings as you go, both to be able to justify asking for promotions/raises and for being able to show said performance and impact on your resume and in future interviews.

    My question is simple: how do you guys go about doing this (if you do keep track of it at all)? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Maverick94
    [link] [comments]

    Terminated from internship

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 11:03 AM PDT

    So I found out today that I was terminated from my internship at this small company. The company specializes in making dealer management systems and websites for used car dealerships. Throughout my short time there they had me move websites from one server to another. It was my first time actually doing something like this so I was pretty slow. The reason they were migrating the websites from this one server is because it was expensive for them to have. The reason they terminated me was because I was not able to get enough of the websites moved. My supervisor would answer my questions and all that but sometimes if I want to move a website I would change the A-record but the website itself wouldn't point to the other server. My first few weeks I was only able to work a couple of days per week since I had school which I explained to my supervisor during the interview. Once my summer vacation started I started to put in more hours. I was in community college but now I'm going to be transferring to a 4-year university to get my bachelors degree in CS. I don't have any hard feelings against the company, although I felt as though they wanted me to do more of the menial work of migrating the websites to different servers plus when I applied to them on Indeed it said it was going to be a WebDev position which it turned out it really wasn't. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in CS so I thought by applying and working here I would get some experience in Web Development and see if I like it, well it turns out that the websites that they have all run on Wordpress so there really wasn't much coding involved. They were really just using an assortment of themes and plugins to create the websites for used car dealerships.

     

    I have some questions like whether or not I should have this company on my resume? For future internships should I just look to applying to big companies only?

     

    I believe I only spent 3 weeks working for them with the first two weeks having a limited a schedule since I had school and my finals were coming up. I currently have some experience working with C++ in Visual Studio and Java.

    submitted by /u/throwaway032431
    [link] [comments]

    Am I in the wrong? (Work culture and environment)

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 11:29 AM PDT

    Some context - I've been working at a tiny startup for the past year as my first dev job. I'm the company's second engineer. My lead is the CTO and he is supportive and a great person to work with. However, there's been a lot of issues with the CEO. Since I've been here, the sales & marketing team had grown to a handful of people but now are all gone, mostly due to them quitting out of rage or frustration (I heard the same complaints from every one of them in that they think he is contradictory, a hypocrite, had unrealistic expectations). We've been through a handful of product managers that also clashed and they either left or got fired as well for more or less the same reasons. So now it's down to a company of 3 people.

    Today, he pulled me in and told me that I'm not proactive enough and am not exceeding expectations, even though I am making sprints every week and feel as if I am handling the work pretty well for a junior dev. He also told me that I should be working outside of regular work hours and that since I have been getting raises (my raise has bumped up from $28 an hour to $30 an hour in the past year, which is still under average salary for my area) and that I should be working more.

    I told him that I do work outside of work hours occasionally and I am not willing to work much more if I am not being paid overtime or being compensated more for working that much everyday, to which he took serious offense and told me that he lets me work from home occasionally and take a couple of days off in the past year to see family, etc. (I have taken no sick days since I've been here; company policy for PTO is just your birthday)).

    He also told me that he's hurt and doesn't trust me because he thinks that I am interviewing for other companies because he has seen me in the phone booths during lunch hours and does not think that there is a reason for me to be on the phone during my lunch hours.

    Not sure how to proceed at the moment as there is now a complete lack of trust and a new tone of hostility. Any thoughts or pieces of advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/scydev
    [link] [comments]

    Is 65k a good salary for Indianapolis?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 06:37 PM PDT

    I have about 1-1.5 years of experience and am looking for a new job as a software engineer. Is 65 lower than what i should ask for or is it fair?

    submitted by /u/AccomplishedRelief
    [link] [comments]

    How to deal with burnout on actually programming?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 05:22 PM PDT

    I haven't been doing this all that long, but I feel really burned out on the process of writing code. Debugging it, testing, updstibg it. I haven't done enough work lately I just feel blah.

    I enjoy sitting there planning a new feature, building some top level infrastructure but when it comes to the tedious I just... can't even get myself started. Right now I have 5 major features mostly built need some testing and shoring up. I build large architecture think about it and then I'm just meh. How do you push through that? It's not that I can't do it, more that it's not challenging/fun with a sense of accomplishment anymore and so I just don't.

    I kinda think that management might be something I'd be good at snd maybe fits more of what I enjoy doing less of what indont but I haven't been doing this that long people don't want engineers with years experience and no degree as managers.

    submitted by /u/csburner
    [link] [comments]

    Big Company doesn't allow employees to give job references?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 04:53 PM PDT

    My only internship was with a medium sized software company that was bought by a Big Famous Software Company while I was interning there. I'm now looking for full time work and reached out to my old manager for a reference, and they said they'd be willing to do it but Big Company Policy is to not allow any of its employees to give references? Is this, normal? I'm delaying judgment till I know more but that seems p unethical to me

    *edit to be clear, I'm trying to get a reference FROM Big Company, not TO Big Company

    submitted by /u/computerdoertaway
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from software: Who here has done it? What did you do?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 04:21 PM PDT

    See title. I'm about 4 years into my career as a developer. Started out as a web dev, now my title is "software engineer", but I hardly feel like one and I'm not sure if it's right for me long-term.

    So, I'm looking to transition. I think I have the personality for sales, and I figure my development experience would be useful for sales in a tech company. Already had one interview and it went really well, but the pay is a bit less than what I currently make, and that's assuming I'm performing at the average for comission.

    I think I have to mindset and personality for a more strategic role, but I think my age (23, yeah, I started pretty early) is going to prevent that from happening any time soon. I've worked with enough marketers to know I could do their job with some success.

    Kinda a general question but has anybody here transitioned out of programming and into other roles? What worked? What didn't? Did you take a pay cut? Did it end up being worth it?

    submitted by /u/Whoopi_Lolberg
    [link] [comments]

    Is it normal to ask for typing speed (wpm) for a Frontend dev?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 07:22 AM PDT

    I am taking this typing speed test for a frontend dev... Fortunately, I am the fastest typer I know (93 wpm with 99% acc). I don't understand why this is a thing. Any thoughts?

    Edit: I see many people are saying this is bad but the job posting looks quite good. Paid training, paid social events, health benefits, work from home... The position is PHP

    Edit 2: I'm a student and this is an internship.

    submitted by /u/PlasticBagCode
    [link] [comments]

    Citadel Data Open Invite on LinkedIn?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 07:31 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, today I got a LinkedIn message about an 'exclusive' invite to apply to Citadel's data open, and links to the application and details about the prize and stuff. It seems really interesting, just wondering is this a selective message on LinkedIn and increases my chances or is it random and most people get it?

    Also, I'm an incoming transfer to UIUC Math+CS in the fall, had a ~3.9 GPA at my old uni, and have a couple of internships at pretty good companies. Do I have a shot of getting in? It sounds super competitive. I am super interested in big data and it's what I want to do with my career, but I don't have any experience with it (hoping to do research when I get to UIUC).

    Thank you for any feedback you can provide!

    submitted by /u/csquestions5583292
    [link] [comments]

    Stack Ranking

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 04:29 PM PDT

    Is stack ranking still used by employers? If so, what companies?

    submitted by /u/InvalidUserName4u
    [link] [comments]

    How do you handle the job search while currently employed?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 11:48 AM PDT

    I've been looking for a new job for about a month now. There has been a ton of activity and interest around my resume from mid-sized companies to Fortune 50 companies.

    The biggest stress is that everyone wants to interview me smack dab in the middle of the working day. I work 8a-5p so it's incredibly hard to make these time slots. I'm afraid if I do it too many times it's just going to become painfully obviously to my current employer I'm looking around.

    I had one interview offer from one of the big 4 and when I asked if they had any availability after 5pm to meet the status on their jobs portal changed to "Not Selected" with 24h with no response from the recruiter. Ouch.

    How do you guys handle this?

    submitted by /u/vthrowrum
    [link] [comments]

    CS vs Cyber Security

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 02:13 PM PDT

    How much different are these 2 fields. Ive heard that you get the CS degree then start studying Cyber Security, or take a few electives in security. But the majority of your degree is CS classes. Is that true? Im a junior in CS and have always been interested in networks and sort of ethical hacking, but my degree plan includes nothing like that.

    submitted by /u/Arcticfoxs
    [link] [comments]

    Dealing with applying fatigue

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 10:59 AM PDT

    Hi, I wonder if anyone here also feel exhausted from negative results from previous job applications (rejections, bad interviewers, unresponsive companies) that it affect your next efforts (don't want to spend time writing good letters anymore, yet don't want to cold-apply), and how have you dealt with it?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/nhgiang
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have it made, or should I leave?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 09:23 AM PDT

    I graduated in 2016 and currently working in the public sector. I don't know if I should stay or go. Would love some advice from more experience devs.

    My first job was with the same city (LA), and I was being robbed at $57k. I stuck with it for a year, and I was promoted to a new department last month. I am now making a comfortable $88k. By the end of the year, I'll probably be close to $95k with union pay raises.

    I feel like the benefits I receive are fantastic.

    • Pension
    • Health/Dental/Vision
    • 9/80 schedule
    • Federal holidays off
    • 11 Days Vacation (accrues 7 hours per month). Once I hit 5 years of service, I get 17 days and earn 11 hours per month
    • 40 hours of sick time (anything over 80 hours paid at 100%)
    • 40 hours of personal time (any unused paid at 100% annually)
    • ~$5k raise every year for 5 years

    Other positives are

    • Low stress, flexible deadlines
    • Most people (including supervisors) are chill
    • I'm one of the youngest with many people retiring
    • Cool area (downtown LA)

    But the disadvantages being

    • Incredibly boring, feel like I'm not learning much
    • Supervisor has broken English and is a horrible teacher. Often gives me ambiguous instructions, writes lazy e-mails that don't make sense
    • Outdated technology, conversion projects
    • I do not want to move to LA, want to stay near friends, so I have to commute ~1 hour (this is a big one, I used to live in LA and I hated it. I would love to find a job nearby where I currently stay)
    • Commute and 9/80 schedule means I'm out of the house from 6AM to 6PM and have to sleep by ~10:30PM.
    • The longer I stay, I feel more chained to be a lifer and I'm less attractive to private companies

    I consider myself someone who's interested in programming. I've been going on this subreddit since 2012. I used to be obsessed with making it into a Big N, and I still have interests in working at a tech company or as a game developer. I feel kind of like a NBA rookie with high potential, but just sitting on the bench or not getting minutes. The money is important since I have a family to support. A lot of people say I have it made, but I sort of feel it's because they don't have the same ambition as I do and are comfortable with having an easy job. Some days I don't do anything, and I go home feeling depressed. The days where I get shit done, I go home smiling and feeling accomplished, and the day goes by faster too. I've never been in the private sector, so I don't know if the grass is just greener, and I don't know what I'm missing out on.

    submitted by /u/thisisforhendrix
    [link] [comments]

    Should I follow game development as a career or go the easier route and keep it as a hobby?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 01:14 PM PDT

    Hey , its that time of my life that I have to make some career choices. I have almost always to become a game dev but after some research I started questioning it . What people say for the most part is that game dev's have excruciating jobs with less payment than other different developers and that it's really only worth pursuing that career only if you are REALLY passionate about it. Should I go for the safe route and keep it as a hobby or go full-out on trying to become what I truly aspire to be? I am willing to try hard enough to make it work but If it's really how people say it is then It might not be worth it . So , what would you suggest me to do and why? Thanks a lot for reading.

    submitted by /u/NouvelleVague1
    [link] [comments]

    Professionals, how long do you plan to be in this field as a developer?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 08:37 PM PDT

    Do you plan on staying in this field for the long term? retiring early? moving into an unrelated field? Going into management? Curious to see what people think.

    submitted by /u/REorganize009
    [link] [comments]

    Torn between 2 golden opportunities: Senior SWE or a SDET position?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 08:35 PM PDT

    (Using throwaway for this for obvious reasons)

    Through some careful navigation, several long lunches, a couple onsites, and a small draw of luck I've secured 2 essentially pristine positions in the same city (a tech hub).

    The compensation is the same - I negotiated back and forth and they've both landed on the same page.

    At this point the offers are firm and final, so it's time to make a decision.

    Job 1 is a Senior SWE position @ one of the US' largest grocery retailer chains on their Supply Chain Team

    Job 2 is a SDET position (no "senior" in the title - I don't think this matters much?) @ one of the US' largest pharmacy retailers on their Internal Dev Tools team.

    I am open to doing both SDET and SWE. (Though I've always been a SWE in my 5 year career)

    I am leaning towards the SDET position because I do believe the SDET position will be more relaxed - nothing is customer facing and well - you know... SDET/SQA...(where the green check marks matter more than how elegant the code is)

    Two reservations I do have for the 2nd job is:

    1. going from SWE to SDET and how that could come off to others in the future - and whether or not I'd be boxing myself in making this move.

    2. Taking the SWE position will be a "promotion" for me - I've never been a "Senior" SWE before. I am not sure what kind of doors this could open for me - especially because it's a Senior SWE position at the 3rd largest employer in the US. Does it even matter?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/stickyconundrum
    [link] [comments]

    Any interactive developers here? I've been seeing more of these titles, but don't hear too many people talk about these roles. What's your work like?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 08:34 PM PDT

    What do you typically day to day, and what technologies/tools do you use?

    submitted by /u/___Zero_____
    [link] [comments]

    I think layoffs are coming

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 08:21 PM PDT

    This could be my paranoia but my spidey senses are going off like crazy right now.

    We're now having to send in weekly reports stating what we did and what we're going to do next week. We also have to name a rockstar on our team for that week. My boss even said that I have to stop working from home for awhile and come in 5 days a week to further contribute to the perception that our team is getting shit done. I honestly think that upper management doesn't think that my team is necessary cost.

    I heard the VP talking about people getting let go and new resources being brought in. We have about a dozen teams in our company, so that might not even be my team. This company has a history of absorbing as many companies as it can, lay off the original employees (even those with all of the product knowledge), and bring in their own guys.

    I've only been here about 4 months and my last company was 11 months before I got let go from there, so I was hoping to get my resume back on track by staying for awhile. But with no savings in the bank, bolting seems like the best option.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Ice_Doge
    [link] [comments]

    Are early positions important for career trajectory?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2018 02:03 PM PDT

    By this I mean do your earlier jobs make it more difficult to get into later positions?

    For example, if you are interested in an embedded or a systems job later, would it actively count against you (generally speaking) if you were to take a webdev job or vice versa?

    In other words, how cautious do I have to be in what I accept as my first couple of jobs?

    submitted by /u/qspec02
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment