• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 5, 2018

    Apple deprecating OpenGL.

    Apple deprecating OpenGL.


    Apple deprecating OpenGL.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 01:22 PM PDT

    My First Trailer. Short and to the point (is it?)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 06:36 AM PDT

    Hey all. Hope it's OK to post this here as I need someone else's eyes! I've just finished my first attempt at a short trailer for my game - Buildy Road. It's a mobile game, so I've tried to keep the trailer short and fast paced.

    Never done a trailer before so feedback most welcome.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jje-IkgKxVs

    submitted by /u/beefSupreme2505
    [link] [comments]

    The Wild West | LEVEL DESIGN Showcase | Unreal Engine 4 | ArtStation Challange

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 08:47 AM PDT

    Youtubers show how to download my chargeable Steam game for free

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:23 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I released my own game on Steam (not free) and now there are at least two videos on YouTube (50 views in total) showing how to get a ZIP file and play it for free. The guys also show the contents of file where they even included some HTML documents with their YouTube channel links in it, so they modified my original ZIP file. There was a free version of the game on itch.io as a ZIP file but judging from the looks of the video, the version is rather new.

    I gave away 20 keys to curators on Steam, two to Youtubers who actually did a gameplay video and one key to an "influencer" which I revoked later.

    A few options that came into my mind:

    • See it as promotion and post a link to the Steam page stating this is an old version (demo)
    • Request the youtuber to take down the video
    • Request the youtuber to mark the game as mine / add credits
    • Report the video on YouTube
    • Ignore it

    Do I have to worry about this? If this is a common problem for indie devs, how do they go about it?

    Thanks a lot!

    submitted by /u/glock_m
    [link] [comments]

    What makes AA/AAA devs prefer UE over Unity for big budget game production?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 12:20 AM PDT

    With a few notable exceptions, a larger segment of games that get released these days, usually on the bigger budget side typically use UE as 3rd party licensed engine over Unity, particularly when games need to push graphical power. Is there a specific reason for that?

    submitted by /u/23524_11
    [link] [comments]

    Bullet Hell Engine Tech Demo: Make a Touhou like game with 10.000+ bullets at once on the screen (made with Unity's ECS and job system)

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:41 AM PDT

    WIP art from our upcoming tower-defense magic spell crafting game Spellbook.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 04:39 AM PDT

    As a start of sharing our work on social media, here is some of the work in progress art for our game in the making "Spellbook". It is a tower defence game, but you have to build your own spells while protecting your base. No shortcuts as you have to act fast and bind spells before the monsters gets closer to you(and kill you..). Both on ground, and in the air. More content will be uploaded and a trailer will also come where you can see this in better action.

    What do you think about our background art?

    https://i.redd.it/e0u1yjly56211.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/rgzp3z6y56211.png

    https://i.redd.it/7ddwsinx56211.png

    https://i.redd.it/mqinzw9x56211.png

    https://i.redd.it/3zqzrrrw56211.png

    https://i.redd.it/rxu0wtcw56211.jpg

    https://i.redd.it/7fmklanv56211.png

    submitted by /u/SpeedPotionDev
    [link] [comments]

    Tools to Reduce Open Bug Count at Media Molecule

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:51 AM PDT

    A new game based on the Lovecraft universe

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:06 AM PDT

    Heya guys, It's Cithyan here and It's my first time posting on Reddit. I created this account a few years ago in order to follow the r/leagueoflegends thread but I don't play it anymore.

    What I do now is working for a small indie game studio located in Spain which is developing a horror survival game about Lovecraft universe (yeah, another one...) as a CM. I'm practically new at this so I wanted to ask some feedback about our work.

    We are posting 3-4 times per week about our art, previews, 3D models but the people who drop likes never comment so I'm pretty much feeling like they are not even interested on our game and just hit the like button randomly. I thought Reddit users may be more active that's why I'm posting here :P

    The platform we use the most is Instagram

    Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks for reading xx

    Oh, I'll drop this here to create some hype...

    https://reddit.com/link/8ot0zv/video/szf5t5e728211/player

    submitted by /u/Cithyan
    [link] [comments]

    How I program C - Pro tips from a C Programmer Eskil

    Posted: 04 Jun 2018 06:08 PM PDT

    Noob question about 2D collissions

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 05:16 AM PDT

    Im pretty new to game design and I'm trying to understand how everything works. When I'm checking if a player object is colliding with another object do I have to do this check with every object on screen or is there a more efficient way to do this by checking only surrounding objects?

    submitted by /u/yords
    [link] [comments]

    What would you say are the key points for making a difficult game fun rather than frustrating?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 07:51 AM PDT

    Brainstorming: Single screen demakes

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 05:00 AM PDT

    Hey guys

    I recently saw a tweet from Daniel Benmergui where he said he'd like to make "single screen demakes" which I thought was a really interesting concept.

    Distilling something that already exists into a single (or refined) mechanic and restricting it to a screen sounds like a great exercise. I feel like this would be beneficial to my development as a game dev and possibly help others too.

    I found some discussions on Tigsource from 2008 (where they had a game jam) but it'd be neat to have a live, more relevant conversation about it, particularly with the knowledge that has been learned from 10 years ago.

    I'm pretty green to game dev so I'd love to shoot some ideas around, advice on scoping down, rules of thumb, people's experience doing this etc. Try and build a good resource for others to come back to over time.

    What do you think? Love to hear your thoughts!

    Edit: I missed a word or two

    submitted by /u/YummyRumHam
    [link] [comments]

    The name of a game is often its first advert to a player - how important is it to get right?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 02:58 AM PDT

    I tend to overcomplicate and never complete things. How/where do I trim the fat and finally publich something?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 08:45 AM PDT

    Basically, I never finish anything. I know how everyone keeps repeating that most people never publish and that it's an imperative to complete a game, in order to familiarize yourself with the process. But I only have fun with building the game's skeleton, and I never get to implement the menus, music, sounds, etc. I remember Mozilla published an RPG browser game (I'm working with Phaser) as an example for something and it was very short and resembled Zelda on NES/SNES. Is it "allowed" to publish a game that can be finished in 15 minutes or so? I'm not looking to make money, I just need to get this first game done and I'm looking for ways to get there. I found some nice art for a 2D top-down shooter and I'd like to make something with it, however simple.

    submitted by /u/Throwaway_God
    [link] [comments]

    Tools to create PSX era Resident Evil / Silent Hill games?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 08:39 AM PDT

    Reference pictures for the topic: Resident Evil 2, Silent Hill 1
    I want to make an old school horror game like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I have experience making 2D pixel/vector art games but no 3D experience. I want the graphical quality to be similar to that of the PSX era, so a bit blocky and unrealistic. I'm wondering what engine and 3D modelling tools would be most efficient for this goal. I tried out Unity and used some prefabs, but what I noticed is that automatically everything looked like 2006 quality, whereas I want 1996-1999 quality. I also imagine that making these PSX era environments and models would be much more feasible and easy to learn than making far more realistic and detailed PS2/PS3 era stuff. I would rather not have to make my own engine or tools so as to save time, but if the only way to do it is by picking up C++ or C# again I will. My goal is to save time and be efficient, especially if I plan to do this by myself as a hobby. Unity essentially seems perfect but I'm wondering if I can 'downgrade' my game, and if doing so will be easier and faster to develop.
    All recommendations/suggestions very much appreciated. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/canadianbizdev
    [link] [comments]

    Why do some racing games feature two different physics engines for non-drifting and drifting gameplay?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 11:53 AM PDT

    I don't know if realistic racing games (RFactor, Assetto Corsa, Gran Turismo, etc) do it, but i know DiRT 3, Need for Speed:Carbon/U2 and GRID do.

    Why is that?


    I apologize in advance if this is the incorret place to ask such question, but i believe that's not the case.

    submitted by /u/Unknow0059
    [link] [comments]

    Corona Labs has completed part 2 of a video tutorial on creating a game using Corona. Check it out!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:25 AM PDT

    How do I show movement rnage in a srpg?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:13 AM PDT

    I have a* pathfinding working and a character can find the shortest route to any tile. But in a game like fft you can always see the tiles a unit can reach from his current position. How can I determine movable tiles when I have a max movement value(say 5 tiles max)?

    submitted by /u/Reihado
    [link] [comments]

    I'm scared to post footage from my game online

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:13 AM PDT

    I feel like there are many reasons why it would be beneficial for me to post some footage from my game to reddit. Getting feedback, motivation, create some hype or interest and maybe even host a public beta but I'm just too scared someone could rip off my idea. Since it is just a simple mobile game, I feel like it could be copied very fast and easy. How do you guys think about this?

    EDIT: FYI I'm not claiming my idea is good enough for someone to care just pointing out what I'm afraid off

    submitted by /u/l4ur1ds
    [link] [comments]

    Game devs - how do you interact with your players?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:09 AM PDT

    Mainly, on Reddit and Discord.

    I'm going to be working with a company and interacting with their players on both of those social media platforms, and I'd just like to know how you guys talk with your players/target audience.

    Examples like taking feedback, responding to a good suggested idea, dealing with an issue that a player may have with the game, things like this. How you field questions as well. And if you guys know of any subs where the devs have a good relationship with their players that I can peruse for more examples, that'd be great too.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JoeEstevez
    [link] [comments]

    Beta Testers Needed! New Prison Battle Royale Game!

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 10:04 AM PDT

    We at AeroLab Studios have developed a new type of battle royale game set in a prison and are looking for beta testers. We would like to invite those who are interested to play our game for free, and leave valuable feedback so that we can improve the experience.

    If you would like to be among the first to play our new battle royale game, please feel free to email me at chris@aerolabstudios.com to receive a free steam code for the game.

    submitted by /u/AerolabStudios
    [link] [comments]

    Queen's Wish: Graphics Development Log - 01

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:59 AM PDT

    What do you want from a publisher?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 09:36 AM PDT

    From looking around there are so many different indie publishers, with variety in them all, if you were looking for a publisher for your game, what would you look for, and what you encourge you to sign up with a publisher,

    Thanks guys!

    submitted by /u/indieGamePeople
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment