• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 17, 2018

    A New Markdown Editor - Mark Text web developers

    A New Markdown Editor - Mark Text web developers


    A New Markdown Editor - Mark Text

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:55 AM PDT

    Why do clients think it's okay to haggle on price?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:13 AM PDT

    Warning, this is a bit of a rant, but I would love to get other devs input on this and how you deal with it.

    So I've spent probably the last 6 weeks negotiating with a number of clients only for most of them to turn out to be total time wasters.

    I'm confident in my abilities and in my pricing. The post by u/rms_returns is exactly how I work. I've made the mistake of under cutting in the past and it has lead to endless issues with difficult clients.

    While I don't compromise on my fees I am very flexible in every other aspect of how I work. Which I believe adds value to my service. But over the last few weeks I've been met with conversations like this:

    Me: my hourly rate is $xx p/h, the work will take xx hours, so the total cost will be $xxxx.

    Client: That's more than we want to spend. Maybe if you did a, b and c as well that would justify the extra costs.

    Me: well that would be more work so I would have to charge for it.

    Client: But it shouldn't take much work. Can you not just do it?

    And on it goes until either I cut the client off and say it's not going to work or they move on to getting a cheap dev and a shitty website.

    I've had one client try and play me off another dev by sending me their proposal and saying this is what you're up against, can you not match their proposal. I explained every dev works differently, these are my rates and you will get the service and end result you pay for. This rather underhanded move pissed me off a lot and made me realise I didn't want to work with a client like them so I ended negotiations and said that they would be better off with the other dev. They became irate and angry because they didn't want the other dev and wanted me, but at the price they want.

    Another similar situation. I quote for how long and how much a task might take. Client says they think it can be completed quicker (they are non technical so who knows how they come to this conclusion). I tell them I'll do my best. I manage the work in just over their desired time and said to them not to worry about the extra time - it was 30mins over, I like to be flexible and helpful. Anyway, client is happy with this. And then pays me an hour under the agreed price (yes I've got a contract and will be dealing with this).

    Urghh, any way, I've had loads of this in the past few weeks. It's driving me nuts. I don't ask my mechanic to do work on my car quicker because it's all I want to pay. I don't tell them I'll pay half, inspect their work (even though I know shit about cars) and if I'm happy then will pay the remainder. I respect their knowledge and expertise.

    So wtf is the deal with people's attitude to webdevs? Why do they think it is okay to haggle, nag and piss around like this?

    Does anyone else experience this? And how do you deal with it and manage it? Personally I find it very hard not to get a bit pissed off with it after a while. I do have some great clients who I never have issues like this with but feel like there's an unfair and unrealistic attitude to people's approach to working with developers.

    submitted by /u/bobsInYerCloset
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a job market for CSS experts with weak programming skills ?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:33 PM PDT

    The more time I spend learning to program the more I feel like I would be happier using CSS to make garish animations. I would be much happier making this site than something like this site

    I realize that the first site I linked to is using Javascript and I would be fine and comfortable with writing the JS for something like that, I'd even be OK using typescript and performing unit tests would be easy enough.

    My question is, is there a job market for people with the skills to make the first linked site or should I continue focusing on programming to produce things closer to the 2nd linked site ?

    *Edit I'm sure other readers are also very interested in hearing thoughts on the general question of - Is there is a job market for CSS experts with weak programming skills (outside of my specific case).

    submitted by /u/Drunken__Master
    [link] [comments]

    At what age did you FIRST start coding, had your first project and got hired as a coder for a firm?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:06 PM PDT

    And what is the most you have ever gotten paid just by coding?

    submitted by /u/luisjalbizu
    [link] [comments]

    What type of music do you listen to while coding?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 01:39 AM PDT

    Alternatives to Font Awesome

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 08:24 AM PDT

    I ' ve been using font awesome since a long time, but with the version 5, I find that they are pushing the paid package a little to much.

    A lot of free icon just disappeared from the search engine. They are working from the package, but it become impossible to find from the site (maybe I'm wrong?). Adding new icons for pro account is fine but why (re)touching the existing catalog?

    I' m ok for paying , in fact no this time I'm not ok to pay. Icons are basic stuff and I 'm sure there are best alternatives in 2018 for free for icons.

    submitted by /u/dfa1234
    [link] [comments]

    Website workflow

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 02:41 PM PDT

    I've been recently trying to recreate a ODD that I had downloaded from somewhere online. (I believe 365psd or something like that, forgot to save in my folder description).

    I've realized after making it a way through this a few things that could have made my life easier starting off. A little planning things out for instance. I also realize now probably all these are issues steaming from my inexperience and probably will come second nature as I learn.

    For starters, writing down and figuring out all colors beforehand. I am using variables inside of css and I have found myself changing names several times because what I had named the variable before wouldn't have made any sense when applied later down the page. (Paragraphs being used for button hovers, or navigation).

    I've ran into an similar issue in regards to my section names as well. Had to change things around a bit as I named things a bit haphazardly as well.

    I'm curious what other things are a good idea to have in mind when starting a project? I'm generally talking regular websites, not so much javascript heavy projects anyway.

    I had been slowly building up some refactored css as I was seeing a lot of reuse, though once again, I felt this could have been a bit easier with some foresight applied.

    tl;dr what's good things to so during the planning stages of a website?(development aide anyway)

    submitted by /u/Tsukiyonocm
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing google drive links on a website a bad idea?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 02:27 PM PDT

    I'm volunteering for a small non-profit and making a website for them. As a non-profit there are a lot of files they needs to share for compliance purposes; things like meeting minutes and such. I'm considering my options and one that seems really attractive is just sharing a google drive folder on view only. They already use google drive for file management which is why this is so attractive. Is this a bad idea and if so is there a simple alternative/API I'm not considering?

    submitted by /u/devsmack
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a group of buttons into radio buttons?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 01:13 PM PDT

    I am trying to make a quiz website and I want to use buttons as the options. the quiz is psychometric analysis so there is no wrong or right answer. so I need to know which one of the four they chose.

    Edit: thanks for the help guys. my question has been answered.

    submitted by /u/davidtheking293
    [link] [comments]

    Web Components Using Polymer

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:47 PM PDT

    Need advice for buying a laptop

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 06:43 AM PDT

    I know it has been asked a lot, but I thought it might be a good idea to double check.

    I do freelance work, mostly JavaScript based projects/React/React native.

    I travel a lot and my biggest fear is my laptop breaking down (ThinkPad X230) while I'm travelling; So I thought to give Apple laptops a shot. I have never touched a macbook in my life, but the idea that "it just gets the job done without any hassle" is really tempting. To be honest, I'm tired for dealing with the OS all the time, and Windows is not really friendly with React Native and I'm not really a fan of it anyway. the best part about Macbooks for me is that it doesn't matter where on Planet I am, there is definitely an Apple Store nearby that I can buy a charger if I lose mine.

    Is it going to be a big shock going from Linux to osx?

    Am I going to miss something about it?

    Which MacBook should I get? they all seem same to me and mostly an overkill. but I expect something that works for another 3-4 years for me. Is buying a 2015 15" Mbp a good idea or should I stick with 2017 ones?

    Thank you all in advance.

    submitted by /u/ffaazi
    [link] [comments]

    How would you make a navbar with a logo in the middle and links around it?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 10:25 AM PDT

    Hey guys, I have been learning web development for a while now and I have stumbled across a problem. I am trying to create navbar with a logo in the middle and 2 links around it. I tried using flex, centering them all and as long as the link strings have the same length, it works just fine. As soon as one link is longer than the other, the logo is no longer centered. How would you deal with it(still keeping it responsive)?

    submitted by /u/icyfoxlol
    [link] [comments]

    Are mashable online digital courses worth it? (Course is made by SkillSuccess)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:36 PM PDT

    I saw a deal on my Google news feed for "The Ultimate Backend Developer Bundle" with $2000 worth of online courses on sale for $34. It's a begginer introduction to C, JavaScript, SQL, Bootstrap, Python and more.

    I then saw a lot of other courses on sale aswell, like digital marketing courses, and entrepreneur courses all for 90% off.

    I've seen gourden ramsy masterclasses course and they where really nice, I was wondering if any if these courses from mashable are as insightful and of high quality, or if it's just normal stuff you can find for free in youtube.

    I'd love to know if you have used these courses, or if there are courses that are better worth paying for than this.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/olivestab
    [link] [comments]

    Super Noob Question: Can one just learn javascript and leave out HTML/CSS? or do they build on each other?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 04:18 PM PDT

    async-ratelimiter – Rate limit made simple, easy, async.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 04:09 PM PDT

    Graduate Salary Expectations? (UK)

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:59 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I'm gonna cut a long story short here...

    I've taken a year out of Uni (I'm studying Comp Sci) between my 2nd and final years, and currently undergoing an 'internship' type deal at a web dev company (known as a 'sandwich' course here in the UK.) This will soon be coming to an end and I will be going back to Uni.

    The directors of my company have all expressed desire for me to return when I finish Uni next year - and I am going to sit down with the Managing Director soon to discuss this properly.

    I am currently on what I will call a 'Student' wage - about average for people doing what I am, although I am not too sure what sort of salary to expect/request for when I return, so I wanted a bit of advice.

    I haven't been working on 'nothing' projects, either. Without going into specifics, I have worked on most projects in some shape or form and I am able to step in and help on most issues on any system we have, so I won't need to spend time training when I go back, either.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/BazSmasher
    [link] [comments]

    How to make html fragments and compose them together into an actual html file?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:10 PM PDT

    Like how @import "normalize" works in css, I want to find a equivalent for html(static site). I have html code for header, navbar in separate files that I want to use in multiple pages. Sort of a modular design. I dont know what the keyword is, tried googling html template engine/generator but nothing turns up. Thanks!

    Edit: It is for a static site. I want to pre-generate the html files.

    submitted by /u/netok
    [link] [comments]

    The website I am working on is not responsive in chrome debugger(and my android phone) but works fine in firefox debugger. I need help fixing it.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 12:09 PM PDT

    Advice For Interview. Vape Shop Needs “Computer Guy”.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:28 PM PDT

    Woi m8's. Quit my job as a machinist recently and went in to buy some vape juice. I know the general manager. He came over and asked what I'd been up to and I told him I'd recently quit my job and had been doing interviews. He asked if I "did computers" and said they were looking for a computer guy and needed someone to create a database for inventory. He got his supervisor, the owner perhaps and asked what experience I have with tech. I told him that I know some HTML, CSS, basic networking and a little Python. Also said I had recently gone back to school for web development. He asked what I currently make [little less than $40k] and told me to come back this next week for an interview.

    As to the extent of my experience: studied VB casually in high school and Python intermittently after that. I understand the basics but I always hit a wall and never had any ideas of what to program. Basically studied programming but never knew quite how to implement it recreationally. Last year switched from [part-time] electronic engineering AS to web dev at a community college and purchased something like a dozen Udemy courses and did those in my free time. I've also installed and tinkered with half a dozen Linux distro's and learned some command-line.

    I'm trying to brush up on everything I've been doing in my free time for the past year or two and I'm trying to gauge what skills would be relevant to a small-business computer guy. I've got limited time to cram so any advice would be appreciated.

    TLDR: Quit my job as a machinist got an interview for a local vape shop who is in need of a computer guy. Have basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Linux, and networking. Trying to brush-up on what I've learned in the past year, seeking advice as to what would be applicable to a small business.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/pho_coughM8
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone can explain these odd numbers? ("Articles per page")

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:18 PM PDT

    Udemy courses, books or something like the Odin project?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 07:33 AM PDT

    Hi,

    So I'm a third year CS student with a good understanding of OOP but I've never worked with or developed web sites or servers. I'm not sure if I want to work as a web dev but I'd like to have the know how and experience at least. I know most of the HTML5 tags and the basics of CSS. I can read JS but I'm not very good at it. I've played around with things like node.js and react but I found myself getting lost from just following "How to do this" videos. I don't want to learn "How to do this" but I also want to know why and how it works.

    I've noticed that I don't really learn well from just videos and textbooks, I usually need a set out course from point a to point b. I don't want to learn "How to do this" but I also want to know why and how it works.. What kind of resource should I look at? Udemy courses or something like The Odin project?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/IcyKera
    [link] [comments]

    Disagreeing with performance reviews

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 11:00 AM PDT

    There's no official performance reviews at my work, but after 6 months at my company I'm getting the feeling that no matter how confident I am at my coding and abilities, I don't think I'm going to see eye to eye with my manager.

    Some back story: I've been coding professionally for 6 years as a full stack engineer. This new job has involved some ramp-up on new languages and frameworks but I feel I've been able to take charge with little to no roadblocks. Sure, I've had to ask plenty of questions in the beginning, but now I've been writing a lot of code and I'm able to handle pretty much any request that comes my way.

    One caveat here is that after submitting PR's, I have had to go back and refactor some things, but it's more a matter of stylistic principles and not actual bugs.

    I DID face a bug recently. But here's the thing. I'm used to not QAiing my own code. In fact I though developers weren't suppose to QA their own code. But with the small shop I work for, it seems that it's reflected badly if bugs come back and you were the developer. Recently I was able to spot a bug and raise that concern, and instead of the manager taking responsibility for it, it was instead reflected bad on my part.

    "It seems like you haven't had much experience working on large applications" was the feedback I got from that incident. It was a trivial error and given the amount of code I've written, I really think that was unfair feedback. I'm used to having a QA team do all the testing so I really don't have any rebuttal here.

    Curious what your thoughts are.

    Basically, my concern is that, since I feel like I'm doing a fine job, and my manager isn't impressed, why would I stay here? In my view, it's not leading to either a raise or a good manager review.

    Sure, I am always trying to improve myself as a developer and really putting in the effort and the hours to impress my manager. But it seems that no matter how much I improve, I will never "get there".

    TLDR; I'm confident as a coder, not getting positive feedback. Is it worth sticking around (I am learning new tech), or should I find a new gig since poor feedback != raise || recommendation?

    submitted by /u/boggles_timely
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a course to take

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 03:38 AM PDT

    TL;DR at bottom

    Hey folks, so a bit of fluff about me. I'm currently doing a part-time software development degree while working full-time, last academic year (just finished a couple of weeks ago) I took a web development module as part of my path and have really taken to it, as such since I finished the year I've been looking at rescources to continue learning web development throughout the summer (approx 3 months) and onwards.

    I've done a JavaScript codeacademy course and the responsive design FCC course but copying what I need to input and being told exactly where to put it in tiny biteaize chunks just doesn't help me learn it.

    So I hear udemy being banded around so took a look and there are so many choices! I've got a few that seem like might be a good fit but finding it hard to choose which one, I might even get a couple as at the moment they are 10.99 which is peanuts if it helps with my future.

    So here are the top rated web development courses (on udemy):

    https://www.udemy.com/the-web-developer-bootcamp/ https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-web-developer-course-2/ https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-web-developer-in-2018/

    Also I'd like to learn PHP(used it in my uni module) as I feel I'd benefit from learning that AND JavaScript but it seems the all in one courses above only cater for Noodle.js and leave out PHP so I've also seen this course

    https://www.udemy.com/php-for-complete-beginners-includes-msql-object-oriented/

    Tl;DR - So yea, my question, has anyone got any experience with the above courses, would it be a waste of money to buy them all as they will cover the same stuff? Any other recommendations for courses for me to dive into that don't cost a ton of money but happy to pay some.

    Apologies for spelling errors - typed this on mobile

    submitted by /u/Vastaux
    [link] [comments]

    My Website Starter Template

    Posted: 17 Jun 2018 01:14 PM PDT

    https://github.com/ryanapil/web-template

    Thoughts on my template and how I've screwed up royally! Any feedback welcome!

    submitted by /u/D14RAP
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment