• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 1, 2022

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers


    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 04:00 AM PST

    Due to a growing influx of questions on this topic, it has been decided to commit a monthly thread dedicated to this topic to reduce the number of repeat posts on this topic. These types of posts will no longer be allowed in the main thread.

    Many of these questions are also addressed in the sub FAQ or may have been asked in previous monthly career threads.

    Subs dedicated to these types of questions include r/cscareerquestions/ for general and opened ended career questions and r/learnprogramming/ for early learning questions.

    A general recommendation of topics to learn to become industry ready include:

    HTML/CSS/JS Bootcamp

    Version control

    Automation

    Front End Frameworks (React/Vue/Etc)

    APIs and CRUD

    Testing (Unit and Integration)

    Common Design Patterns (free ebook)

    You will also need a portfolio of work with 4-5 personal projects you built, and a resume/CV to apply for work.

    Plan for 6-12 months of self study and project production for your portfolio before applying for work.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Solid.js feels like what I always wanted React to be

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 06:15 PM PST

    Html, scss, and vanilla js site I designed in Figma and then coded. Self taught - 1yr. Looking for feedback.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 09:32 PM PST

    First Job Interview Tomorrow

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 04:00 AM PST

    I have my first job interview related to Web Development tomorrow. It's a junior position asking for a backend with Node/Express + Laravel knowledge. Wish me luck and any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/hassanz93
    [link] [comments]

    Web devs rally to challenge Apple App Store browser rules

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 02:20 AM PST

    I can't make myself like React?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 02:26 PM PST

    I'm a backend dev with some pro experience in mobile as well. I have done some Apps in Angular and it was a bit love/hate but mostly positive experience. Since then I have dabbled on and off with React (before and after hooks) and I just can't seem to enjoy it enough to commit to a serious project. I've read a book on it and put serious time into it and at times I think it's great but then when I see more complex projects I just think it's a horrible mess. Maybe I'm too square for React? or maybe it really does stink and it's not just me?

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/girvain
    [link] [comments]

    Visualizing the full timeline of Russian invasion of Ukraine using maps

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 03:03 AM PST

    Tips for avoiding mistakes?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 04:21 AM PST

    Hi webdev,

    I have been at a small local agency for the past 9 months or so, and during that time I have made quite a few errors. My day to day mostly involves client site updates, lots of content management or small frontend changes, and often with same-day turnarounds. We all make mistakes and to some degree this is normal, but most of these are caught by the client, not me or the team I work with, making my employer look bad and adding stress for my manager. Most are small data entry style errors, but others have been more serious. I double check my work each and every time, but stuff still slips through.

    I have already taken some steps to improve my organization and time/stress management in an effort to remedy this situation, but wondering if anyone here has any tips for avoiding mistakes in these types of scenarios.

    Thanks all.

    submitted by /u/dryra66it
    [link] [comments]

    Hoppscotch - Open-Source Alternative to Postman

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 07:00 AM PST

    Where can I learn about planning an app before actually coding it?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 03:30 PM PST

    I honed my skills enough doing Frankenstein projects where I mostly learned new stuff. Now I need to learn a way to organize my work. Thing is I don't even know what to search online. I guess that before starting to actually code the thing I need to sit down and have most of the things planned, such as application flow, how it's gonna look, how long is it going to take me to finish it, all the things broken down into smaller parts so I can focus on one thing.

    Is there a name for this methodology? Because so far I've been thinking about the details while coding and I really took the hit when I had to redo entire parts of the projects just because I didn't start with a plan, just an idea.

    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

    submitted by /u/No_Dog_7969
    [link] [comments]

    A new year, a new MDN

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:16 AM PST

    Do you think that Svelte has a bright future?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 12:57 AM PST

    I don't know why but I love Svelte. I am not that much experienced in web dev (~1 year) and I'm currently working as a React developer. I started to learn my way around React and it's ok, but I often find myself mesmerized by the beauty of Svelte and try to learn Svelte in my free time. I'm not that experienced in it still, but it looks so awesome from far away.

    Is it really a good framework? Do you think it will gain more and more popularity in the future? Is it worth learning for a junior dev? (My company uses React)

    submitted by /u/turquoise8
    [link] [comments]

    A 500B image from my website takes 500ms to load

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 04:00 AM PST

    A 500B image from my website takes 500ms to load

    Images are stored on Amazon S3 via Wasabi, and are streamed from the Directus CMS. The CMS is hosted on a free hobby Dyno on Heroku. In my website, I'd like to progressively load an image, so I request a very small version of the image I want and blur it, then load the actual image when it has finished loading. However, the very small version of the image, despite having a size of 500B, takes 500ms to load. This causes the site's content to shift before the small image's been loaded.

    https://preview.redd.it/dxz3zlozhrk81.png?width=2868&format=png&auto=webp&s=1f4a974b68d22990edb2978a163bb1241769a6cc

    This is the site: https://wfrm.vercel.app/

    submitted by /u/fungigamer
    [link] [comments]

    Collection of CSS styles to make simple websites look nicer

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:31 AM PST

    For freelance web devs

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:34 AM PST

    On average, how much does a freelance web developer make per project? I know it depends on what's wanted for the project and how big it is, but what would a rough estimate be?

    submitted by /u/tallywackertim
    [link] [comments]

    Explain to me your thoughts on the differences between: Web Designer, Web Developer, and Front-End Developer?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:32 AM PST

    Just curious how you all would describe each of those roles.

    submitted by /u/ToonMaster21
    [link] [comments]

    Multiple OAuth providers with the same email address

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:31 AM PST

    How do you handle multiple OAuth logins with the same email address? If a user logs in via facebook, and next time logs in via twitter which has the same email address, is it ok to link these two to the same user account on the backend?

    submitted by /u/kzh_10
    [link] [comments]

    Importing packages in Hugo

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 02:40 AM PST

    Is it generally more recommended to use NPM, Go Modules, or Github submodules when importing libraries like Bootstrap for Hugo?

    submitted by /u/fir_with_feedback
    [link] [comments]

    Selection skips first option

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 06:11 AM PST

    Edit : Added Code Sandbox Linkhttps://codesandbox.io/s/clever-smoke-ex3rb9?file=/src/components/HelloWorld.vue

    When user types U, I want the selection to highlight United Kingdom Test, as it is my first option.

    But it skips over it and highlights Uganda which is at the bottom.

    How can i force Select to highlight United Kingdom Test when user types in U

    submitted by /u/FilC619
    [link] [comments]

    How would you go about creating something like this?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 05:42 AM PST

    connecting to mongoose

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 05:27 AM PST

    I'm creating a nodejs app that uses the mongoose library. To connect to the mongodb library via mongoose's native driver it says that I need to insert the following as an argument of "mongoose.connect()":

    mongodb+srv://<id>:<password>@clusterbbbb.mongodb.net/myFirstDatabase?retryWrites=true&w=majority

    Replace <password> with the password for the <id> user. Replace myFirstDatabase with the name of the database that connections will use by default. Ensure any option params are URL encoded.

    If i were to replace <password> with my actual password and myFirstDatabase with the actual name of the database, wouldn't that be bad practice for security reasons (since my database password & id would revealed when I post the code on github)? Should I use dotenv in such case?

    submitted by /u/qwerrewqasdffdsa
    [link] [comments]

    How do I create local virtual hosts on Linux using LAMP and Wordpress?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 05:01 AM PST

    I've installed Apache2, Mariadb, and Php7. I did everything most websites and YouTube videos were telling me to do, and reached the part of making new domain names for the websites I've enabled on Apache2. I have to do this part. I'm using Ubuntu 20, and I'm incredibly stuck. I'm using Wordpress to edit the websites, and I'm fine with configuring WordPress to the database, but how do I load new websites onto my Apache2 server locally with unique names for each site?

    P.S. I haven't purchased nor do I own any domain. I'm only trying to do test runs for now, so I need the websites locally, and it doesn't matter if the domain name is taken.

    submitted by /u/tellmymotherimsorry1
    [link] [comments]

    First encounter of git rebase, help needed

    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 11:02 PM PST

    I've heard that when working with team, it's worth to rebase my branch once or twice a day. Recently I tried for a first time and I encountered some problems, maybe you guys could tell me what am I doing wrong

    1. git checkout main - switching from my branch to main
    2. git pull
    3. git checkout my-branch
    4. git rebase main
    5. Here I resolved 2 conflicts - with package.json and package-log.json
    6. Pressed VScode button to push & pull changes to my remote branch

    Now 2 things happened that I did not expect:

    1. VSCode showed all commited changes on my branch as conflicts and I had to resolve them all
    2. When I made my Pull Request, github included all files and commits that I pulled from main. Which means that instead of "5 commits, 8 files changed" I had something like "28 commits, 45 files changed"

    I know that I should rebase my branch frequently but I suspect it should not look like that every time :/

    submitted by /u/Armauer
    [link] [comments]

    Hi, "php artisan migrate" not working in my sql for some reason

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 04:42 AM PST

    Hi, thanks for reading in advance.

    I'll try to be concise as possible though I'm confused.

    I have a Laravel project that is located in "/Users/MyName/code/blog".

    I downloaded mysql (I believe from homebrew?), which only works with I open XAMPP and turn on the servers.

    When I add a new database through mysql terminal it appears in my SQL database within phpMyAdmin through my localhost:8080/databases.

    In my .env file for my Laravel project, it says "DB_DATABASE=laravel" but there is no Database in myPhpAdmin with the name "laravel".

    When I change that in my .env file to "DB_DATABASE=new_cms_db" where I know there is an SQL database in myPhpAdmin, and save the file, then go to my terminal and type in mysql where I do "use new_cms_db", then type "php artisan migrate", it takes me to "->" and thats it, never changes.

    Am I working with two different SQL's, one which is my project and one that is another. I wonder because either the "DB_DATABASE=laravel" just hasn't been created yet, or exists in another SQL area?

    Please explain like I am 3 years (I've tried ELI5, and I'm just too dumb for that at this point lol)

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/MattPilkerson
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys backup cPanel files/folders automaticall?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2022 12:07 AM PST

    *automatically

    Just had a near-disastrous data wipe where our user-image folder is accidentally wiped by one of our dev. Unfortunately we didn't have any backup for that folder.

    We are using cPanel and LAMP stack for this project. Thank you for your tips!

    submitted by /u/fjahja
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment