• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 2, 2021

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers

    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread web developers


    Monthly Getting Started / Web Dev Career Thread

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 04:00 AM PST

    Due to a growing influx of questions on this topic, it has been decided to commit a monthly thread dedicated to this topic to reduce the number of repeat posts on this topic. These types of posts will no longer be allowed in the main thread.

    Many of these questions are also addressed in the sub FAQ or may have been asked in previous monthly career threads.

    Subs dedicated to these types of questions include r/cscareerquestions/ for general and opened ended career questions and r/learnprogramming/ for early learning questions.

    A general recommendation of topics to learn to become industry ready include:

    HTML/CSS/JS Bootcamp

    Version control

    Automation

    Front End Frameworks (React/Vue/Etc)

    APIs and CRUD

    Testing (Unit and Integration)

    Common Design Patterns (free ebook)

    You will also need a portfolio of work with 4-5 personal projects you built, and a resume/CV to apply for work.

    Plan for 6-12 months of self study and project production for your portfolio before applying for work.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Am I the only one that thinks the new r/webdev logo is uglier than the old one?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 01:57 PM PST

    I personally don't like the new logo.

    Here's the old one for comparison

    submitted by /u/coolboi779
    [link] [comments]

    Right name for my job position ?!

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 02:29 AM PST

    Hey,

    I was assigned today to be the head chef of the front ends in my company.
    What can i name this position to add it in my LinkedIn and resume?
    Front end departement chef? Front end manager?!!

    submitted by /u/moncefgrey
    [link] [comments]

    A simple image server - Solving the designer to developer workflow problem

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:03 AM PST

    Hey devs,

    I hope this isn't considered excessive self-promotion since it's my first post on this community.

    I recently faced a problem, where designers loved working with large, high fidelity image assets. I ended up in photoshop a lot, resizing and cropping images so that they are optimised for the web and my specific use cases.

    I know some are lucky enough to have flexible designers, but for those who don't, I've created a simple image server that can handle resizing and format, from the url.

    https://github.com/RodRitter/Simple-Image-Server

    submitted by /u/ObviouslyNotANinja
    [link] [comments]

    looking for rss like free news api

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:00 AM PST

    Im searching for a free news api

    with no auth

    which updates every 1 to 5 min

    I searched in https://github.com/public-apis/public-apis and other archives

    any suggestions ?

    submitted by /u/JosephCurvin
    [link] [comments]

    FocoClipping - Remove Background from Image

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 11:48 PM PST

    I'm proud to say that FocoClipping is my first project that I've accomplished.

    As far as I can tell, there are a number of websites here that provide picture background removal services, but most of them are not free. I created this website with the intention of allowing users to remove the backdrop from images in bulk as well as to add new backgrounds in just a matter of seconds and it is a 100% free tool.

    I would appreciate it if you could test out this website for yourself and tell me your thoughts on it. As a result, I'll be able to do better work.

    Website: https://www.fococlipping.com/

    submitted by /u/99_chill
    [link] [comments]

    A suggestion when you're struggling.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 04:02 PM PST

    I see a lot of posts of people asking for tutorials or examples of things with various technologies and I'm surprised when the person hasn't read the documentation for it.

    Just a heads up that most languages, libraries, tools, frameworks and even protocols usually have dedicated documentation so don't forget to check for it. If you find the documentation confusing consider leaving some feedback to the maintainers, often they put a lot of work into their documentation sites and they want people to use them.

    Edit: typo

    submitted by /u/BigCityRedNeck
    [link] [comments]

    When having to incorporate changes in the dev branch into your feature branch. Do you mostly use rebase or merge?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:57 AM PST

    Say you have branched out from the dev branch to work on a feature. You work for a while and commit your work. In the mean time more changes have been committed to the dev branch and your want to incorporate those in your feature branch.

    My rule is mostly, that I always rebase if I'm the only one working on this branch (to avoid merge commits pollution my history), and merge if other people are working on it.

    What do you usually do?

    submitted by /u/borii0066
    [link] [comments]

    What can you do with just HTML and CSS ?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 11:24 AM PST

    Hi , I am pretty new to this computer side of the world.

    I took a basic course in Web dev , I enjoyed HTML and CSS.

    I did not enjoy Javascript. I learned that I did not like the logic part.

    What can one do with just HTML CSS ? I like the aesthetics of things.

    Also every course I see couples them together , HTML CSS JS . Is it possible to build a website without Javascript ? Does that fall under Web design?

    (Thank you for the help ! , its just that I have read so much about computer science in the last few weeks that I am having difficulties differentiating between careers paths , it looks like every topic overlaps dozen other topic which may be a part of other dozen topics )

    submitted by /u/AKaakb
    [link] [comments]

    What selector should I use fo meta elements?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 03:29 AM PST

    Hi there,

    I am new to web development and I am wondering if there is any CSS selector I can use to specifically select the meta description of a website and its contents, can i use meta[name="description"][content*=example] or can I just use meta[name="description"]?

    Any help would be appreciated,

    submitted by /u/nuklesarnie
    [link] [comments]

    API for gold rates and prices?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 02:58 AM PST

    I am looking for APIs for receiving the latest gold rates (XAU) and gold prices.

    The only good one I found so far is Metals API. Still would like to find as many as possible to give my employer different pricing options.

    submitted by /u/TwoAndAHalfQueefs
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a You Don't Know JavaScript equivalent to knowing CSS in and out?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 02:15 AM PST

    After read YDKJS I realized how little I actually know about not only JS, but how programming languages and browsers work. Digging deeper into CSS I learned of fundamental concepts few people are talking about like inheritance or how the display property actually has inner and outer display values.

    Is there some book/audiobook/lecture/course that goes in depth into CSS for people who already know how to build complex CSS layout and seek to solidify and cement their CSS skills to godhood? YDKJS gave me great confidence in JS and i'd like to have the same in CSS.

    submitted by /u/BigBootyBear
    [link] [comments]

    Floating UI - Position all types of floating elements with full control. Tooltips, popovers, dropdowns, menus, and more

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 03:10 PM PST

    Advice for leadership/project management for a new manager

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 08:54 PM PST

    Hey everyone - I have a hopefully reasonable question if anyone has some advice or recommendations on good resources. I'm hoping this doesn't break rule 7 but I don't think it's the most common "getting started" post.

    I'm a CTO to a new company, I have a team of five devs who are really junior but self sufficient and reliable.

    I have dev time under my belt, and I have a background in the military where I was in a leadership position (not the same domain but relatable).

    Do you have any advice, tips, ideas, etc. that you would love to give your boss, or have learned the hard way as a manager/team leader? I want to do my best to enable them and not burn anyone out, and being honest not screw anything up.

    Nothing is too junior, I just want some ideas from peers from scrum tips, things to avoid, clear rules, or your own principles. If this is the wrong sub to ask my apologies. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/MightHire
    [link] [comments]

    I made a tool that deploys full stack web apps to AWS. Typescript, React, Lambda, Cognito, S3. Check out the video. Tyvm!

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 09:10 PM PST

    hide empty links

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 07:34 PM PST

    I'm working on a linktree clone on Gatsby for fun. I am importing data from a data.js file and using those is my page. I added a socials section where I use a fontawesome icon for each site. I wrote these in my component directly and I want to load the icons only if the imported element contains a link and hide it if empty. I'm very new to gatsby or react so excuse me if this is a bad question.

    This is in my component:

    <div className="socials"> <a href={socials.github}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faGithub}/></a> <a href={socials.instagram}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faInstagram}/></a> <a href={socials.linkedin}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faLinkedin}/></a> <a href={socials.twitter}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faTwitter}/></a> <a href={socials.facebook}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faFacebook}/></a> <a href={socials.youtube}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faYoutube}/></a> </div> 

    and this is my data format:

    export const socials = [ { github: "https://github.com", instagram: "", linkedin: "", twitter: "", facebook: "", youtube: "https://youtube.com", } ] 

    I want to display github and youtube favicons only, in this case.

    I tried doing this:

    a[href=""]{ display: none; } 

    and this:

    var elmt = <p></p> if ((socials.instagram).length !== 0) { elmt = <a href={socials.linkedin}><FontAwesomeIcon icon={faLinkedin}/></a> } 

    and then using elmt in the link place but that didn't work either. Gave me the following error:

    Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'length') 

    I tried typecasting it to string and then getting the length which didn't work either.

    How do I implement this? Please help.

    submitted by /u/BlueTickVerified
    [link] [comments]

    Do You Need to Be "Passionate" About Coding?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 05:12 AM PST

    (If you'd prefer to watch this post in video format, click here.)

    I saw a post the other day on this subreddit about passion and it got me thinking about the subject. I've seen a lot of different opinions and questions on whether you need a "passion" for webdev/programming. Most of the questions look something like this:

    • Do you need to be passionate about coding?
    • I'm working a job and I'm just not that passionate about coding anymore. What should I do?
    • I'm trying to get into coding and I don't have that much passion for it, but I want to get into it because I've heard that it makes a lot of money. Should I continue learning?

    Let me try to answer these questions in this post.

    Passion for Your Job vs. Passion for Coding

    Let's start off by not confusing passion for your job and passion for your coding. A lot of people have had passion initially learning to code, working on their own projects. They've had a lot of fun doing that. But once they actually get a real job or start taking on some work, then a lot of that passion can go away, because as much as you might like coding, working a job is not always the most fun.

    You're not always going to have new and interesting problems to solve. Some of it is just going to be grunt work. Maybe you're feeling stressed out by deadlines or changing requirements. You might not be feeling quite as passionate as you did when you first started the job.

    And I've definitely felt this before working on lots of different projects. Of course, sometimes I will really enjoy working out how to do something, and maybe even learning something new. And that little dopamine rush that you get whenever you solve a problem and it finally all comes together is just really satisfying. There's nothing like it. So when I'm working a job where I have something like that, it's really enjoyable.

    But to be honest, that's not most of it. So sometimes you're just maybe creating the same UI that you've built a million times already. Maybe I'm fixing some small CSS bug or just dealing with some random error from NPM. And a lot of times it can just be frustrating or boring.

    So you're not feeling so passionate about your job. And to be honest, that's just part of having a job. That's just part of working. It's not always going to be fun and games the entire time. I know some boomer has probably told you in your life that if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. And to be honest, it's not really true. Even if you love coding, there are going to be days where you're just not having that much fun.

    And my philosophy has always been you don't have to necessarily love your work. You just have to not hate it. So if you're just OK with it on a day to day basis, then that's perfectly fine. That's probably my attitude for most of the work I do in order to pay the bills. It's just something that I don't mind doing. It's not particularly hard for me or something that I completely hate doing. It's just something that I'm okay with doing. If you think passion is just loving your work all the time, that's not what it is at all.

    Do You Need Passion to Learn Coding?

    Maybe somebody is just getting into the field and they don't necessarily have a whole lot of passion for coding. Maybe they just heard about how much money you can make, and it seems kind of like a fit for their personality. So they're just going to try it. And they're wondering, do you need to be passionate in order to learn programming?

    And in this case, I actually think you do. And so by passion, I'm talking about wanting to build things. Maybe you have ideas of things that you want to make, and programming will bring them to life for you. And that's what really motivates me. So I started learning to program since I was just a kid. I would make websites for my favorite video game series, and I would make basic games inside Game Maker. And that's how I started to learn programming, just thinking of interesting things that I could build and then building them. And I would love making these websites and building these things. It was never a question about passion for me.

    But a lot of people who are just getting into programming or web development are just getting into it because of the hype. Basically, if you don't have any inherent passion for it, I honestly don't think you're going to last for very long. So some people manage to do it. But these are the kinds of people that you'll read about on Reddit maybe ten years later and they just hate their career. They're not happy with it at all. They're completely burned out. They're just very pessimistic kind of people, not really anybody that you'd want to be. And so I can't possibly recommend this if you don't have at least a little bit of passion for it.

    If you don't want to build anything, if you've never been interested in programming before, you heard about how much money you can make, then it's probably not the field for you. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Programming can be pretty mentally taxing. Sometimes you're problem-solving difficult issues all day. And if you're not enjoying it at all, then it's probably just going to be miserable for you.

    For me personally—well, maybe I don't have that much passion for my work or my job that I do on a daily basis. I do have a lot of passion working on some personal projects on some websites or some side projects that I want to make. At least just thinking of ideas is fun for me, even if I don't actually build them. If I don't have that much free time at the moment, it's still in the back of my mind—ideas for things I can do with programming.

    If I want to learn some new technology or learn how to make something new that I've never made before, that's pretty interesting to me, and I'm happy to learn it. So I think that kind of passion is important. If you're trying to dip your toes in and see if you're going to like it, just try it out, build a few things yourself. And if you don't like it at all, then you might want to rethink your career choices.

    What to Do if You Don't Feel Any Passion

    So while we're talking about passion, let's not get conflated job passion and personal passion for coding. And this is where a lot of problems come in. So if you feel completely burnt out and you just don't have a passion for coding anymore, then it could just be that you're in a toxic job.

    You might be in some kind of toxic situation where maybe your boss is just giving you way too much work. You're feeling way too stressed. Maybe they want you to work overtime and learn things on your own free time that you have to learn for work. And while it's okay to be learning things just for fun (that's part of the reason I love programming), it's not really okay to be basically putting in unpaid time for your job, learning something should be on company time.

    And maybe you've seen some job posting that the company you're interviewing for and they really want people who are "passionate about coding". And maybe in that case, they're actually just talking about being passionate for the company, and they want you to do all of this nonsense for the company: long hours, weekends, and to put up with a thankless job. They're hoping if you're passionate enough about coding, then you'll put up with all of the nonsense that they're going to put you through. And in that case, you really don't want to be passionate for this job. If you're in that situation, maybe it's just time to start looking for a new job so you can actually relive the passion of coding for you again.

    I don't want this to be a complete video about burnout, but sometimes it is just that. Maybe your job isn't even that bad. It's just you're feeling stressed out, frustrated for whatever reason you just need to go outside and log off and get a little bit of time away from the computer.

    Closing Thoughts

    That's what I think about how much passion you need. Maybe day-to-day working on some job, I don't have that much passion for it, but I have the passion to work on side projects, start a YouTube channel about programming, teach other people what I'm learning about, and I find it really rewarding. If that sounds like you, then I think you're on the right path.

    submitted by /u/ericnmurphy
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use SVG elements instead of Button elements in my webpage?

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 12:41 AM PST

    I know I "can" use it. But I'm asking for SEO and accessibility purposes. Also, I'm having a hard time animating the "transform" property (see 1 below) on a single button element. SVG would provide for much more flexibility for me as a programmer (see 2 below).

    The points below are for extented understanding for my problem but can be skipped.

    1. If I want to apply transform:scale() to a button on its active state, its transform: translate() gets overrided. Having an svg element for the translate property and applying scale to its children would be easy for me.

    2: I also want SVG icons in a few buttons which would be easier with SVG already implemented.

    submitted by /u/redditor_286
    [link] [comments]

    Lazy loading of Gists via custom element

    Posted: 02 Dec 2021 12:25 AM PST

    I wasn't very happy with GitHub Gists embed option being an inline <script> that calls document.write(), so I created a custom element / web component for embedding Gists in a better way.

    HTML

    <script src="/path/to/github-gist.js" defer></script> <style> github-gist::part(embed) { max-width: 100%; } </style> <github-gist user="shgysk8zer0" gist="68ee21d1d791754fb054dad0fbd7abda" loading="lazy"></github-gist> 

    Or JavaScript

    import '/path/to/github-gist.js'; customElements.whenDefined('github-gist').then(() => { const HTMLGitHubGistElement = customElements.get('github-gist'); const gist = new HTMLGitHubGistElement(); gist.user = 'shgysk8zer0'; gist.gist = '68ee21d1d791754fb054dad0fbd7abda'; gist.file = 'README.md'; document.querySelector('.gist-container').append(gist); }); 

    I'm not posting to as a "Show-off" but sharing for anyone who might be interested in the component. Download the script, view the source, and use it. Or maybe it'd just be an interesting read to learn a bit more about custom elements and JavaScript (see "Helpful links" in the README).

    Features

    • Lazy loading through IntersectionObserver via optional loading="lazy"
    • Zero dependencies (does not rely on any library or framework... vanilla JS)
    • Isolation from the rest of the document via <iframe> (with sandbox)
    • Uses srcdoc rather than src, so no additional requests are made
    • Optional height and width attributes
    • Handles changes to gist, user, etc. attributes
    • Can be styled via github-gist::part(embed) selector (styles the <iframe>)
    • Optional file attribute
    • 2.45 KB GZipped (unminified) / 4.96 KB (unminified & uncompressed)
    • All available through a good-ol <script src="/path/to/github-gist.js"> or import '/path/to/github-gist.js'

    The component is admittedly a little bit hacky because there were several issues (like X-Frame-Options headers when opening links and having to make all links target="_blank" via a second inline script) that I had to work around. Anyways, it works, Gists can be lazy-loaded and even updated through scripting (changing the file or size, for example), it's compatible with even strict Content-Security-Policy. Id say that it's better than the embed script in every way that I can think of.

    CodePen: https://codepen.io/shgysk8zer0/full/mdByZWM Gist: https://gist.github.com/shgysk8zer0/68ee21d1d791754fb054dad0fbd7abda

    submitted by /u/shgysk8zer0
    [link] [comments]

    VS Code users: how do I minimize or remove all those contextual autocomplete / reference windows that keep popping up near the cursor while I’m typing? Not sure what extension or setting is generating all these.

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 01:15 PM PST

    I must have at least two different types of context-hinting windows that keep popping up while typing in VS Code. it's seriously exasperating and preventing me from being able to read the written code. Any hints?

    submitted by /u/WryLanguage
    [link] [comments]

    Grocery Bag using Django

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 11:36 PM PST

    Grocery Bag using Django

    Grocery Bag is a way to store grocery items for marketing. It will contain a homepage that will be showing all the list of items to buy and have been bought. Users will be able to add items and update items, and can even delete them.

    https://preview.redd.it/2owa1b2s13381.png?width=2240&format=png&auto=webp&s=a95e4bb39a1a83d225609d0d92b7a8237695d384

    submitted by /u/ashutoshkrris
    [link] [comments]

    Faster Chrome - Let The Compiler do the work

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 10:01 AM PST

    Sending website emails welcome/reset pass etc

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 03:50 PM PST

    Our company uses microsoft exchange for email. We also use one of the accounts to send the email from our website (signup, password reset, etc). I read somewhere that its not good to do this as microsoft may think its spam. However I don't know any other way to handle this other than buying another domain and using that to send the email from. This may sound stupid, but any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/shiznewski
    [link] [comments]

    Quick and Easy Guide to Terminology/Design of Websites?

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 07:28 PM PST

    I'm hoping to hop into web development soon, but I realized that, besides basic coding concepts, any of my other skills for ML or web scraping probably isn't going to help a lot. Does anyone have a beginner friendly guide to how websites designs work, how they run, common terminology, etc that they recommend to a beginner in web development, but not to coding?

    submitted by /u/Stanley_C
    [link] [comments]

    Open Props - 350 free CSS variables for theming

    Posted: 01 Dec 2021 10:34 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment