• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 30, 2021

    Make your character jump like it's Hollow Knight - Variable Height Jump (Unity)

    Make your character jump like it's Hollow Knight - Variable Height Jump (Unity)


    Make your character jump like it's Hollow Knight - Variable Height Jump (Unity)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 04:21 PM PST

    My failed AAA game interview for a designer position

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 04:12 PM PST

    Recently I was in the interview process with an AAA game company. The role asked for generic "experience in video game production". After 2 weeks since sending an application, I was asked to do the design test and mail it back to them within a week.

    Honestly that week was the worst week of my life this year. I didn't have a designer background or education. I just graduated earlier this year with a cs degree. My post grad job has nothing to do with game development. It was hard for me to come up with answers and justify the reasons, but I put my all into it. The questions they asked was pretty standard; pick some systems/topics, name a game, explain why it's good and to improve the current system etc.

    They contacted me to schedule the interview a few weeks later and this is where I messed up

    The behavioral Interview with the HR was fine: How do you work in the team? How do you resolve conflict? Talk to me about your personal projects/games etc.

    Still, I 100% bombed the technical part of the interview with the lead designer. This is due to the fact that I am a pc player. There were parts of the test that I cited console games to supplement my justifications. I wasn't able to provide in-depth answers and had to come up with alternative pc titles which I guess the interview didn't play or wasn't interested in. FML

    There are other parts that I probably screwed up, but this is probably the main reason why I didn't move forward.

    Apart from that, he gave me feedback on the design test. I did well apparently. Still, they could tell that I didn't have much experience designing but they liked my design improvement and the analysis from the player's perspective was really well done.

    Such a waste, to get this far in the process and to receive strong positive feedback on the design test. It would take some time before I am able to forgive myself. Thankfully, I received an offer for a non-gaming tech company. I'll be working hard in that role and try again next year

    TLDR: Interviewed for a dream position, messed up due to my stupid oversight, want to kms but will try again next year

    submitted by /u/jasonolomew
    [link] [comments]

    Unity now has in-built object pooling. I think it's pretty damn good!

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:38 AM PST

    So my son wants to develop games.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:29 AM PST

    Me and my son are both avid gamers. Being that he is 11 he's also super into games like minecraft, Mario maker, roblox etc. He's incredibly intelligent, but refuses to use it for schooling and such (much like myself at his age). He's had dreams of being a streamer, which I've kind of tried to steer him away from as that is the modern day struggling artist eating ramen every night. But more recently he's become interested in designing games. I'm perfectly OK with this because learning to gamedev means he can also make money in the tech sector to support himself.

    Now that the background is out of the way... What are your opinions on getting him started towards game development? I know eventually he'd probably want to steer in the direction of c++ but from what I've read, learning and practicing in stuff like scratch and python seems to be the best starter point?

    I found this book here and it seems really interesting and a good way to get him started down the path. Coding For Kids For Dummies https://www.amazon.com/dp/1119555167/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_5PG2V5BQ3ET3BA7DE143?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    What are your suggestions for a kid that wants to get into game development? I'd prefer books (something he can hold and read when he isn't in front of a screen) but other forms are welcome as well. Also preferably stuff that doesn't cost tons of money or require subscription.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Nerd_murai
    [link] [comments]

    Sharing My Original Music and Sound Effects - Over 2000 Tracks

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:28 PM PST

    All of my assets are 100% free to use with attribution. soundimage.org/ Enjoy! :-)

    submitted by /u/ValueOk9889
    [link] [comments]

    Other than Reddit where do Indies promote their games?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 10:14 PM PST

    As title - just curious where do indie devs and game fans tend to gather, other than Reddit?

    Like for example the highly praised Omori was released last year, I didn't even know of its existence until almost 1 year now - yet it did so well and I really liked it too. So really wondered where to and how information flows for indie titles, when traditional media coverage like Gamespot is usually out of the window?

    submitted by /u/Senjonohana
    [link] [comments]

    When I sell my game internationally (on steam) do I need to pay taxes in every country?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:06 AM PST

    When I sell my game internationally do I need to pay taxes in every country my games has been sold in. I am looking into how to pay taxes and the sense I get is that I have to pay taxes in every country. isn't that a lot of work for an indie dev who thinks he's just gonna make a couple of hundreds of dollars on his first game/software?

    submitted by /u/vanderlolbroek
    [link] [comments]

    Is GM2 really worth it? Or should I go with Godot

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:47 PM PST

    I've been using GM2 for a couple of months now and I'm really happy with it, but it's also costing me money while I see that Godot is free and I'm just being a bit anxious to see if I actually made the right decision to use GM2

    submitted by /u/ToastyNyfo
    [link] [comments]

    I have been asked to make the offline prototype for a big game but I have never worked on big games professionally. What do i do?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:52 AM PST

    I am a freelance gamedev on fiverr. Sometimes there are people messaging and asking if i want to work in their project but almost always i am not interested because I can see a lack of planning or they dont have enough budget.

    Last time, some guy with a solid plan and a team of 1 developer 3 artists and 1 lore designer asked me if i wanted to work with them on a 6 week offline prototype of an nft game before it goes to crowdfunding. Even though I have never worked professionally on a big game I figured this was a great opportunity since I will get to work on a big game from the start with another developer. So i accepted.

    The other developer has ghosted us and I am now the only dev on the project. The owner of the project is trying to find someone but its likely I will be the only dev on the project for the first week or two. I need the money and I think the project is actually going to be a success so I dont want to leave the project. How can I make the programming as sturdy as possible from the start so the online prototype can use the systems I built?

    Ps: Also this is a situation i have never been in. So I am open to any and all advice you guys can give me.

    Edit: a lot of people seem to be hating on the fact it is an nft game. Please try to pretend it is just a deck building and turn based fighting game with no nft involved and write your comments that way so you can say something actually helpful instead of just hating on nfts and my lack of experience.

    Edit2: Thanks to everyone that has commented I will stop answering the comments from now on. If you have anything you feel like you should let me know feel free to pm me.

    submitted by /u/poopsiedoopoo
    [link] [comments]

    How Game Designers Create Meaningful Mechanics | Conveying Themes, Emotions and Ideas In Video Games

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:56 AM PST

    The answer to this question is probably incredibly complicated, and I know almost nothing about coding, but could someone possibly give me a dumbed down layperson’s answer to this question?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:45 PM PST

    How is enemy (or even ally or neutral character or animal, I suppose) behavior determines / coded? This is something I'veblong been curious about. Why is the "AI" in some games so smart and sometimes so dumb? How does one code for increased or decreased difficulty levels?

    What is different about coding enemy behaviour in, say, a first or third person shooter as opposed to, say, a real time strategy?

    Thanks in advance for any answers / information.

    submitted by /u/Severe-Draw-5979
    [link] [comments]

    This is the best 2D character workflow I've found in Unity. Hopefully it can help some of you too!

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 10:48 PM PST

    Wolf Game, a game built entirely on the Ethereum Blockchain, had to be remade from scratch due to game breaking exploits in their Smart Contracts and they also had to reissue tokens. Are NFT powered games really the future?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 04:16 PM PST

    The official announcement: https://wolf.game/whitepaper-v2

    A thread on twitter about NFT games: https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1465768966589083649

    I know this discussion have probably been had here before but is anyone who actually understand the technology surprised by this outcome? Personally I can't really understand why the developers thought this was a good idea. A game you can't patch? Genius!

    Why is it that some part of the community is *so* hooked on this tech? Is it because they are just in it for the monetary potential or what? I know some people truly does believe in (F)OSS but I doubt it's a majority of the people I see jump into these ventures.

    I personally don't like this tech at all or what is associated with it.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/DynMads
    [link] [comments]

    How do engineers make this kind of library that seems difficult to use?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:55 PM PST

    How do engineers make this kind of library that seems difficult to use? -->

    How do engineers use this kind of library that seems diffcult to use?

    The question may be a little weird, but the short answer is how do you know how to use it?

    I want to be able to run a script during unity's runtime and I'm not sure if I can use it, but I need to know about this

    https://github.com/AntonC9018/Kari

    submitted by /u/user927310931
    [link] [comments]

    16 hours after uploading my free game on itch - This is what the "Most Recent" list looks like. (A visual demonstration of the importance of marketing)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 09:21 PM PST

    I want to make a tactically realistic RTS in Unreal Engine. But im afraid it won't support that many many units.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 11:11 AM PST

    So of course nothing is realistic. But i'd to do something close to Total War in battles.

    So instead of you being able to control each soldier like in most RTS's. You would control groups of soldiers that compose a unit similar to total war.

    But here is the issue Unreal engine has too perfect graphics.

    i wouldn't mind if having very pixelated or very basic unit graphics. It really doesnt need good graphics. Think of games like Age of Empires 2 or even the battle of Knight of Honor 1. Its still a good game.

    What i truly want is to be able to have actual big battles like it happened sometimes in history. And for this effect i dont mind lowering graphics on everything.

    The question is. Is this possible in Unreal Engine? Because all the examples i saw for RTS in unreal engine, they have exageratedly defined graphics for units. And thats why they have very few units on the map. And so zoomed in, with so much detail, its really not necessary in an RTS.

    So what do you think? If i lower the graphics and make units more like very simple forms and zoom it out, would it be possible to make battles with big numbers like 50.000 ? Or the graphics are not the actual issue, but the movement of troops etc?

    submitted by /u/SophiaCalmStorm
    [link] [comments]

    I want to fund the development of a small indie game where do I start and how much would it cost to make a demo of the game?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:36 PM PST

    Hello everyone, a passion for me for a long time is to make a video game, but I lack a passion for coding and programming, but this desire never died to make a game. I was wondering where do I begin to try to form a game development team and roughly how much would something like this cost, to create a demo, to try to get the rest of the funding from crowdsourcing?

    The game I have in mind is a management simulator game, where you play a Nick Fury-like character and try to organize and manage a team of superheroes. Graphic's 8bit or 16 bit, and combat will be mostly left to the imagination. Imagine an Xcom game with less focus on combat and more focus on the management side of running the organization.

    My goal is to save up all of 2022, and by the following year begin actual development. In the meantime am wondering, how to go about this process, like where to find game developers? What should I have in place before, I hire developers, what are some examples of design docs/what is a design doc? How many people do I need to hire and in what roles? And finally how much is a good estimate on how much it would cost to make a demo?

    submitted by /u/Masterriolu
    [link] [comments]

    Troop Balancing?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:59 PM PST

    Im working on a small mobile game, something I'm hoping will help me with fund raising for college. Regardless of the reason, I need Ideas on how to properly implement a roshambo mechanic on some troops. nothing crazy, just melee, ranged, and magic, but I want to figure out how to properly match them against each other.

    What I've got so far: Melee beats mage, as they are faster than the spells can be cast, allowing them to be hit with the very edge of their aoe Ranger beats melee, as Ranged attacks dispatch enemies from a distance. Now, I'm struggling on Mages. I want them to be able to defeat Rangers, but I want the match up to still be fair. I'm thinking that mages have a projectile shield, maybe one that has a certain amount of health, and takes time to regenerate after going down, allowing rangers a window to attack. I don't want a level 1 mage to beat a ranger that's two or more levels higher.

    submitted by /u/ShinyDuckling6941
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting talk with Rockstar founder about some behind the scenes stuff on GTA development.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:14 PM PST

    In what situations do you use individual texturing, tiling textures or trim sheets? Could someone write down the pros and cons of each method?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:25 AM PST

    Here are some questions that may help you answer this question:
    - Which method is the most optimized?
    - Shouldn't I use a particular method if I want the model to be animated or destructible?
    - Should I consider using one of these methods or focus only on the most optimal one?
    That's probably all my question. I would like to know the advantages of each solution.

    submitted by /u/PoloxDisc098
    [link] [comments]

    At what point am I qualified to start applying for game dev jobs?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:56 AM PST

    title says it all really, at what point should I start applying.

    I started doing game dev one year ago and to be clear, I do not feel ready yet. I have entered a few game jams, made a few other games and countless unpublished prototypes. I have really enjoyed it as a hobby and decided I want to persue it as a career.

    I am just wondering, at what point, after how many game jams, and small game releases (or even bigger commercial releases) will companies start being interested in my skills? Whats the barrier of entry? Many people enter the industry without a degree, can I do that?

    If possible, answers from a recruiter or interviewers mindset would be ideal!

    submitted by /u/Leonstansfield
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding A* Pathfinding

    Posted: 29 Nov 2021 07:13 AM PST

    Creating more organic feel in 2D maps (like Swords of Ditto)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 04:38 AM PST

    So with 2D top down games (like 2D Zelda perspective), I often feel those maps seem a bit blocky and un-natural (and since they are using square tiles, I understand why that might happen) and this is something I would like to avoid with my maps so I am trying to figure what what techniques (either artistically or technically) can be used to avoid that feeling to make maps seem more organic (and support a procedural style of generation).

    The best example I can use is Swords of Ditto. take this screenshot for example:

    https://www.playstationcountry.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/The-Swords-of-Ditto_20180427150735.jpg

    Now there are 2 things from this that I want to figure out how to achieve.

    One is the level of little repetition they seem to have. While there is noticeable repetition when looking at the mountains or the left side where the water meetings the ground, the right side where the water meeting the ground seem like there is no repeating pattern. Even when there is a level of noticeable repetition, it far less than you would notice in a 2D Zelda game for example.

    The second things is how that screenshot feel more organic. It would be impossible create that kind of organic looking map with nearly any tileset I have seen since often those tilesets deal with limited tiles and small sizes.

    I am not sure if they are using really large tiles that allow them to have more variety in each tile, using a ton of different tiles that allow the variety (maybe even a combination of both), maybe using something other than tilemaps, or maybe some artistic way to achieving this but I am just not sure how to go about creating this style of 2D world without creating everything by hand (which from a resource standpoint it expensive both time and size wise and does not support procedural generation).

    What are techniques that are used in order to create 2D maps that feel more organic and have variety from either technically or artistically techniques?

    submitted by /u/ryanzec
    [link] [comments]

    Using “Tactics” in a game title

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:15 AM PST

    I'm making an xcom-like. I want to use "Tactics" in the title to immediately reach gamers interested in turn-based combat, but a friend who works at a big publisher advised against it. He said "Tactics" is generally reserved for spin-offs of established franchises (Gears Tactics, Fallout Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics). He also said the word is overused and tacky.

    I'm grateful for my friend's advice, but he really only works w AAA or large studios. So maybe it's not relevant to my solo dev game. What do you fellow indies think? I know there are no real rules anyway, but just curious about your opinions. Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/manhole_s
    [link] [comments]

    Text-based rpg game interest?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:14 PM PST

    Hello.

    I started developing a text-based rpg game. Do people still play text based rpg games?

    my plan is to make a world with mutants and fantasy not really a survival game rather a chill game with minigames,pets,marrige, and of course fight and i have a lot of more plan too.

    It's not only text-based i want to add a minimap ,Player and npc portrait too but mainly its text-based.

    So my question is there are any interest in it?

    My main language is not English so sorry if i made a mistake.

    Thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/Artistic-Avocado-28
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment