• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 30, 2021

    Have you earned money with your own (side)projects? web developers

    Have you earned money with your own (side)projects? web developers


    Have you earned money with your own (side)projects?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:51 AM PST

    Hey, I'm a web dev for a bit more than 5 years now. I work fulltime for a company and I'm starting to hate work (reasons are more company-related).

    Well, I do have some ideas for smaller-scoped projects that could possibly earn some money. But first I wanted to ask other people and their experiences.

    1. Have you earned money with a project already? Bonus-points for an approximation of how many you've earned "after release"
    2. How many time have you spent for a project you've earned money for?
    3. Was it worth it? Would you rather do a fulltime job or freelance?
    4. What do you use to plan your projects? Do you think the tools you use are "perfect" for your purpose and cover everything or do you think that there's a tool missing specifically for solo devs?
    5. What dev-stack?
    6. Deployment methods? Do you host it yourself, is it a SaaS product, do you zip the dist folder and send it to customers? CI/CD with a self hosted git(ea) somewhere?
    7. Bonus question: What was the overall experience?

    I hope this subreddit fits for this kind of question.

    Thanks for every answer in advance :).

    // Edit: Damn, all answers are so great! Thanks a lot so far. I'm trying to answer in the next hours. I've read everything so far but I need time to form a proper answer :).

    // Edit 2: This exploded way more than I expected :D. I appreciate every single answer, thanks! It helps me a lot.

    submitted by /u/Parafex
    [link] [comments]

    Medusa: The open-source alternative to Shopify

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:56 AM PST

    TL:DR Check out our project, Medusa:

    • The headless open-source Shopify alternative
    • Aiming to lower the bar for when developers and merchants can start building headless
    • Originally build together with a client, TEKLA Fabrics, to give them a scaleable and unique ecom setup

    ---------------

    What is it?
    Medusa is the open-source alternative to Shopify. We provide most of the same standard features that Shopify's backend gives out of the box (e.g. E2E order handling, easy-to-use admin interface etc.) but with a much better developer experience; giving unlimited customization and extensibility options. In addition, we have aimed to fix some of the regular backend hurdles we know from Shopify like full multi-regional support (local currency, shipment, and payment options) and fully automated exchange + claim handling

    What is the purpose of Medusa?
    Medusa aims to lower the bar for when developers and merchants can start building headless. For many years, the headless approach to commerce has been an enterprise exclusivity due to the large number of resources that it required. You would need frontend developers to build your storefront and backend developers to maintain your infrastructure and services. From the get-go, we've focused on lowering the bar for when you can enter the headless commerce space. We do this by 1) removing the need for a complex infrastructure through a clever plugin architecture. The core engine and all plugins run as part of the same Node.js server which is contrary to how other headless platforms need connectors and translation layers between the commerce engine and third-party services. And 2) we have a very high focus on optimizing the developer experience through strong tooling such as quick-starters, documentation, CLI, reference, etc.

    How did it come to exist?
    We originally build the solution together with a customer, TEKLA Fabrics, back when we were operating an agency. They were running a WooCommerce setup and wanted to change to a more scalable platform. The requirements were:

    1. a custom storefront for them to own their brand identity and the entire user experience
    2. a flexible backend for them to scale with as their business needs grow
    3. a multi-regional setup allowing them to operate in multiple different markets in multiple different currencies through a single platform

    After researching different solutions in the market it became clear that there were no platforms that could cater to the requirements in a way that would be easily maintainable into the future. We had evaluated solutions like Shopify, but had oftentimes been in situations where there was a need to "hack" our way to a feature which made us frustrated and a bit embarrassed about the work we were delivering. To overcome this we decided to create a bespoke solution, which we designed to be as flexible as possible so that we would never be in a situation where we couldn't support a customer request in a native way. We shared offices with them for a year giving us the best possibilities for improving and iterating on the product, quickly and efficiently.

    Fast-forward 2 years and we open-sourced the full solution in August and has gotten a lot of very positive feedback from other developers and already have a lot of new use cases being built with Medusa. Hope you want to check Medusa out!

    submitted by /u/nicklasgellner
    [link] [comments]

    Bootstrap Icons - Free, high quality, open source icon library with over 1,300 icons. Include them anyway you like—SVGs, SVG sprite, or web fonts. Use them with or without Bootstrap in any project.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:04 AM PST

    It seems like every top tier team I work in insists on Yarn over NPM, almost unanimously it seems like all of these killer devs know Yarn is the industry standard on serious projects. Why do all documentation across the web default to npm installation instructions and assume you're using npm?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:19 PM PST

    Question in the title, but here it is again

    It seems like every top tier team I work in insists on Yarn over NPM, almost unanimously it seems like all of these killer devs know Yarn is the industry standard on serious projects. Why do all documentation across the web default to npm installation instructions and assume you're using npm?

    submitted by /u/overcloseness
    [link] [comments]

    How do you guys keep up with what is the latest trends in tech?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:04 AM PST

    I'm 40 now, I did not know what twitch, discord, or even reddit were until they were already deeply popular.
    I'd like to stay more up to date with what people are using now a days so wondering how you guys keep your finger on the pulse.

    submitted by /u/IAmRules
    [link] [comments]

    Why do "producers" (devs, designers, etc.) make less money than others in a company?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 11:53 AM PST

    I'm currently an email dev, which is to say I use archaic HTML and proprietary languages of ESPs (email sending platforms) to create our email templates. I learned React over the pandemic and my manager is helping me switch over to the front-end web dev team which I'm super excited about! I was told that the junior web dev position I'm moving into makes less salary than my current role and that blew my mind. My job is elementary compared to web dev. I have a hard time understanding the environment let alone the massive tech stack holding up the entire site together.

    How is it that this complex job, even at a junior level, is paying thousands of dollars (maybe even $10k less!) than a job that requires much less knowledge and training? I've even heard similar sentiment from designers who get paid way less on average than marketers for instance. It seems like people who produce the end product of a company often get the shit end of the stick.

    submitted by /u/clit_or_us
    [link] [comments]

    Intermediate JS Course Recommendations

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:38 AM PST

    Hello all,

    I am looking for recommendations on a good intermediate JS course, preferably on Udemy. I feel a I have a solid foundation in JS and have been through a coding bootcamp and another beginner-ish JS course, but am looking to strengthen my skills even more. I have quite a few JS projects under my belt (nothing crazy) but would like to keep pushing forward!

    For context, I also have a basic foundation in React (hooks, react-router) , and am toying with going deeper there or deeper into JS. I am leaning JS as I feel a little bit more JS skill would do me miles of good in React.

    If there are any recommendations for good courses or other content please let me know!

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Gucci_Down
    [link] [comments]

    Run a website off a Google Sheets Database, with Hugo

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:18 AM PST

    I’m at my wits end

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:29 PM PST

    I've tried and tried to continue to learn how to develop but all it's doing is taking away from everything else I'm good at. I need a technical cofounder at this point but don't even know where to start.

    Can anyone from this fine community point me in the right direction? I'm US based if that matters.

    TIA

    submitted by /u/unfamiliarjoe
    [link] [comments]

    Is this bad web component etiquette?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 02:24 PM PST

    Is it some sort of anti-pattern to use a data provider pattern with web components? I'm thinking something like this.

    <my-comp-data-provider url="https://something. something/api?woo=foo"> <my-comp-table /> <my-comp-charts /> <my-comp-users /> </my-comp-data-provider> 

    A quick search didn't show examples of web comp libs that use something like this. Realistically, I could pass results of this query to the comps with vanilla JS, but was thinking about how to simplify this kind of workflow for users that may just want to display some info.

    This is one of those things I can do, but should I?

    submitted by /u/odoenet
    [link] [comments]

    Taking commissions from website payments?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 02:08 PM PST

    Does anyone have some good recourses on how to setup a payment system on your website and how to take commissions? Anything is welcome.

    submitted by /u/bestguguy
    [link] [comments]

    Which tools do you prefer designers to use?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 06:35 AM PST

    If you do frontend and work directly with designers, how do you prefer they handoff designs?

    I run an industry design tools survey every year, and here's what designers say they use for development handoff in for 2021:

    • Figma
    • Zeplin
    • Adobe XD
    • InVision
    • Sketch
    • Abstract
    • Axure
    • UX Pin
    • Marvel
    • Jira
    • ProtoPie
    • Avocode
    • zeroheight
    • Framer

    Do you have a preference? Does it matter?

    submitted by /u/tpalmer75
    [link] [comments]

    Technical interview question

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:39 PM PST

    Any hiring managers here? I had an interview today for a job I'm really hopeful for. They had me solve a challenge that I didn't find too difficult. The problem is that I get pretty nervous in these types of interviews and I end up making silly mistakes and syntax errors. Especially after the interview when the pressure is off, all the things I should have done differently start to dawn on me. I'm just wondering if anybody has this problem or if there are any hiring managers here, can you tell when a candidate is nervous? Does it affect how harshly you judge their work? Also, any advice for being better in interviews?

    submitted by /u/pre-tend-ed
    [link] [comments]

    Please help me fix this annoying VScode autocomplete. In a .js file of react project.

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 05:37 AM PST

    The 68 ultimate VSCode extensions for 2022

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:32 PM PST

    Job interview advice - intermediate developer

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 03:21 PM PST

    Hi everyone, I have an interview next Friday for a developer role.

    They have stated that there will be a technical test on the topics from job, specifically C#, MVC, SQL and JavaScript.

    Any recommendations for things I should study up on would be helpful. The test is less than 40 mins.

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/h0nestjin
    [link] [comments]

    Considerations when using indexes on sql tables

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:46 AM PST

    Hi all

    I have been working on my first enterprise scale full stack app where I am the project leader. It started with just me working on it, and now there is 3 devs including me and a UX designer.

    It is a finance app so I get a lot of records with loads of fields most of which are just data for a financial calculator.

    Recently I found out that foreign keys are not indexed by default, and I was experiencing sql timeouts so I added indexes to the foreign keys and 5 other fields that fit into where clause. A query that used to take 15 seconds return 1800 records now executes I 0.00 seconds. Which obviously I'm very happy with.

    I do know the rule use as few indexes as possible and I suspect that's why foreign keys are not indexed by default. I'm just wondering what is a fair estimation? What should I be thinking about? Off the top of my head I should have some integration tests that I would balance the execution time of various queries. Or do I just optimize when it breaks?

    submitted by /u/coded_artist
    [link] [comments]

    What is this window (under the link with general information) called and how can I edit it? I looked up webhooks, embeds and related things, but they only tell me how to embed into my website, and not how to change that window of content (for my website)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:55 AM PST

    Is online presence on social media (excluding LinkedIn, so on Facebook, Twitter, etc) really essential to land a web dev job?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 07:55 AM PST

    I mean, it's probably true that by rambling on Twitter about "how much I love coding", talking with other devs, and writing "5 HTML tips that not many knows, a thread 👇" (Twitter is full of these, not even kidding) I may get a job faster. But is it really that necessary? Isn't enough to have a GitHub and LinkedIn presence?

    submitted by /u/PiscioControvento
    [link] [comments]

    is there a modern Apache | NginX Log analysis /graphing tool, not looking for real time solutions that require JS page code (like Piwik)? Something that can be run on a cron..

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:20 PM PST

    I'm aware there are packages like Piwik(Matomo) but they require a sql db and all that just to work., they tend to be focused on user interactivity with pages.

    I'm more interested in seeing analysis created from the apache /nginx logs, to see region usage, pages accessed, session times, etc... without the need to insert javascript into the site .

    Its mostly static HTML site with a few dynamic pages.. Theres some really old tools that work off the log files, like Webalizer or Awstats , but they are very dated. is there anything more modern?

    submitted by /u/abrandis
    [link] [comments]

    Should I consider learning to code with a health backrgound?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 12:17 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am currently a senior at a public university with a decent GPA panicking about what I wanna do after graduation (typical) and stumbled across a bunch of articles raving about the benefits and incredible opportunities with learning to code (obv based on which language) and was wondering if it's bogus or not. I have 0 experience in coding, but did some RStudio for my stats class 2 years ago, before the pandemic. Was surprisingly good at it but was frustrated and wanted to pull my hair out at times.

    Is there an actual benefit with learning to code? I'm also considering possibly applying to Master's, PA school, poss Med School too but completely lost for right now.

    pls help, anything is appreciated

    submitted by /u/m3lka
    [link] [comments]

    Need signed cookies, can't afford AWS Cloudfront or Google Cloud CDN

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:44 PM PST

    Hey folks. I am in desperate need of a CDN with a signed cookies solution since I am making a webapp with a subscribers section and a lot of static assets that need to be locked.

    However, I am on a very small budget and can't afford the prices AWS and Google charge for their CDNs (yes, I'm sure I can't afford it). Unfortunately, they seem to be the only CDNs that offer signed cookie capability. Not even CloudFlare or Akamai offer it.

    I am using Oracle Cloud Infrastructure as I determined it is the most affordable for my use case. Very reasonably priced bandwidth. They have no CDN yet though, so I am using BunnyCDN for now (cheaper than CloudFlare, also offers signed URLs).

    My interim solution until I find a signed cookie solution is just generating a ton of signed URLs for BunnyCDN using a program I write and locking stuff that way, but that is a major hassle and gives me more code to maintain.

    Does anyone know of a CDN provider with signed cookies that isn't AWS Cloudfront or Google CDN? Or will my interim solution work until Oracle Cloud Infrastructure finishes its CDN?

    submitted by /u/Flaky-Illustrator-52
    [link] [comments]

    How do I send emails from my website using a contact form?

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 11:31 AM PST

    Hello everyone, I was hoping if someone could give me a simple and safe solution (preferably without using any 3rd party services) for sending emails from a website. I am still learning webdev, don't know much about js but by following tutorials I managed to use SMTP.js ( smtpjs dot com) to send emails. On their site couple of months ago they let people encrypt information, but they don't anymore for services other than Elasticmail. So here I am looking for a solution. Thanks!

    Side question- Is it possible for me to encrypt text (gmail username and pass) outside SMTPjs's website and use with SMTPjs?

    submitted by /u/consig1iere
    [link] [comments]

    What things you can do with macOS that you can't on Windows? (Web Development)

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 05:29 PM PST

    Why do people recommend macOS instead of Windows?

    submitted by /u/johnmgbg
    [link] [comments]

    Stock photos

    Posted: 30 Nov 2021 01:37 PM PST

    Where can I get free stock photos of animals for my website?

    submitted by /u/zhome888
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment