• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 13, 2021

    3 things that has nothing to do with programming that made me a better programmer learn programming

    3 things that has nothing to do with programming that made me a better programmer learn programming


    3 things that has nothing to do with programming that made me a better programmer

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 12:41 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Been talking to a friend who studies computer science at Harvard university. He is the best programmer I know, faster than most seniors at my work in terms of coding challenges. I spoke to him about wanting to be a better programmer, and I asked him what I could do to speed up my learning process as I'm already familiarizing myself with techniques such as Vim and upping my typing speed to 150 wpm.

    He told me that in order to be a better programmer, other than just programming, you need to have 3 skills.

    1. Take long walks without a phone

    What he really meant was learn to be patient. Take long walks for an hour or preferably longer with your own thought. Focus on your breath, think about life and learn to be patient. The further from home the better. Just don't think about work or problems.

    1. Make art

    He told me that you need to be creative. Programmers tend to be very analytic and sometimes stay in the box due to their lack of creative thinking. He suggests activating your right brain. Whether this is through music, painting, sculpting or any other form of creativity does not matter he suggests.

    1. Work out

    There are multiple studies that prove that working out intensively 3 hours per week or longer can enhance memory significantly. I suggest going to PubMed and read the articles for yourself as there are tons that back this claim.

    Don't force yourself to do anything. I found his 3 ''rules'' to be true, and I also feel happier. Hope you learned something.

    submitted by /u/Celiuu
    [link] [comments]

    Dangers of a Fixed Mindset in CS

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 03:49 PM PDT

    Inspired by a recent post where a person was asking if they are not "made" for CS, I noticed that a lot of people were saying that this person should essentially give up because maybe CS is not for them.

    I want to highlight my personal story. I just graduated from a university that is ranked top 10 worldwide with a degree in CS and the top of my class. Before entering this degree, I had never touched code before. In high school, I excelled at mathematics and all the natural sciences. This is not because I was genetically predisposed to being a mathematician or scientist, but because I had been learning math and science since grade 1 and have spent countless hours and years learning these subjects. I worked hard until I excelled in these subjects. I want to emphasize that before entering university, I had never touched or looked at code.

    Now, when I took my first university class where we learned programming and OOP in Java, I struggled so much that I failed the first midterm and had to drop the course and take it in the next semester. All my friends were excelling in that course and I was struggling. While I was doing excellent in my math courses, I was struggling to comprehend the basics of programming. I wasn't doing excellent in my math courses because I am "made" for math, but because I have seen and studied math since grade 1. I had been practicing this skill for at least 14 years.

    I was frustrated, devastated, and hated programming. How come someone who excelled at the sciences and mathematics could not do simple programming exercises or understand OOP? Naturally, I hated coding because I was terrible at it. It destroyed my self confidence. I contemplated dropping out every day due to how much I struggled with programming. I had a fixed mindset and believed that maybe I'm not "made" for programming.

    However, I realized a few weeks after dropping this class that my mindset was holding me back. I had a fixed mindset and never believed I could be good at programming. This was reinforced by my classmates and even a professor at my university who told me that maybe I'm just not "made" for programming. After dropping this class, I started learning programming again from first principles at my own pace because my parents who do not even have a university degree encouraged me to do so. After spending countless hours practicing during the summer, I started getting more confident in my abilities and retook the class I dropped again. I did great in that class and excelled in my degree from then. I developed my interest and passion in programming by working hard, not by thinking that I have a pre-determined passion that I was born with.

    People need to realize that programming is a totally new skill for most people. Most people have seen and been learning math and science since they were born. A lot of high school students have not even touched programming before and when they come to university and struggle, they find themselves way behind other peers who have been learning programming for years. Therefore, I encourage everyone to try and persevere and have a growth mindset. Countless studies have shown that people who have a fixed mindset consistently underperform and underachieve in all facets of life. For example, a study found at (The Effect of Growth Mindset on Mathematical Performance in Algebra Support at Minnetonka Middle School East (stkate.edu) ) shown that:

    Students with a growth mindset possess an understanding that effort and practice are linked to academic success. With a growth mindset, they are more likely to persevere through challenging material and use coping skills to do so. They are also more resilient and lack a fear of failure when faced with challenging problems. Students with fixed mindsets are more likely to avoid a challenging problem because they fear failure and lack the coping skills needed to continue.

    Therefore, I really encourage people to try and understand that nobody is born a programmer or computer scientist. If you read Dijkstra's (one of the most influential contributors to the area of computer science) autobiography, you will find out that he initially studied physics as that was his interest and only pursued CS because his supervisor offered him a job and encouraged him to pursue this path.

    submitted by /u/femto_zewail
    [link] [comments]

    How do programmers stay up to date on... everything?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 02:35 PM PDT

    C#, Javascript, Python, SQL, NodeJS, ...

    I am currently slightly struggling with my degree of applied computer sciences, im not fully sure how im supposed to "study" or "practice" for multiple programming languages at once , ...

    Do you work on projects on C# for example one week, then move over to another programming language 2 weeks later? Do you not tend to get the syntaxes of different programming languages mixed up for one another?

    Please let me know how you guys would work this out

    submitted by /u/monoz_
    [link] [comments]

    Good University programming/CS courses?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:17 AM PDT

    Hey, Im a student in the area of data analytics and statistics, I know python and R and I am starting my carrer now.

    I want to learn more about programming and computer science and maybe take a University course in this area.

    Is there any good courses you could recomend? Im not looking for udemy or datacamp courses but more like real college post-graduation

    submitted by /u/asserio
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help explain to me the role of the program counter and the instruction register in the machine cycle ?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 01:01 AM PDT

    Can someone help explain to me the role of the program counter and the instruction register in the machine cycle? Would appreciate if examples are given too. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/cchanel-no5
    [link] [comments]

    Need help on usage on Loops (C language)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 12:58 AM PDT

    For context = I am building a lucky draw program that firstly asks no. of participants and stores in people and then asks those many each participant to enter a number and stores it in int enteredNo[50]; and then checks each number whether it is a multiple of 5. If not then increments each applicable number until it is a multiple of 5 and the number which becomes multiple of 5 in fewer steps, wins! (the steps are stored in int count[50];

    Thus, the following loop does that, but it is not incrementing the values. Where I've gone wrong? Also, what is the other alternative for the below syntax? Thanks in advance.

    ...........

    int count[50];
    for (int i = 1; i <= people; i++)
    {
    if ((enteredNo[i]) % 5 != 0)
    {
    for (int j = 1; j <= (enteredNo[i] % 5 == 0); j++)
    {
    enteredNo[i]++;
    count[i] = j;
    }
    }
    }
    printf("%d", enteredNo[1]);

    submitted by /u/karankakati
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn java?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    I'm look to go to University for "Computer Science" in a year, Almost all unis around me see to start off with Java. I'm already very familiar with Python, JavaScript, C, C++, SQLite 3 and front-end web dev. And already understand a lot of computer science concepts as i have already taken Harvard's CS50 online course. I have also read though the first ~21 chapters on the learncpp.com website. I should i spend sometime learning Java? Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/Seanie987
    [link] [comments]

    Programming projects for aerospace engineering.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:40 AM PDT

    Hello everyone I'm an aerospace engineering graduate and have been learning programming for a while now. Would any if you be able to suggest any project ideas related to aerospace that would help me in creating my portfolio?

    submitted by /u/Coffee_666
    [link] [comments]

    Video tutorial on python programming ~_^

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:27 AM PDT

    Hey, 'm a french welder and i made a video to teach python to apprentice welders, I would like a feedback please :D (I'm doing this to improve my english at the same time)

    https://youtu.be/NCqjYT4F7pU

    submitted by /u/SteelTechnics
    [link] [comments]

    How deep is deep and not too deep?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 11:35 PM PDT

    I think the question asked in this post title, is a very relevant one, when someone is self studying. I am an avid follower of this subreddit and couple of other coding related subreddits, here I seek motivation, direction and knowledge. About me, I am 42, Indian, and on a path to change career from running a business to a career in programming. I am a commerce graduate with MBA, worked in top companies in India, then left the corporate job after 10 years of working to start running my own business, first, due to change in government policies and now covid pandemic , pushed my business to the brink of closure.

    Since, the beginning , I have inclination towards computer programming and tried to learn it many times, due to these short learning bursts, I became comfortable with fundamentals of programming language. These extending lockdowns provided me the break from the grind, and I started learning programming again, to the extent that I can start writing technical blogs 😂 (in my opinion 90% of blogs are of no use), now, I know - HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Node, Express, some working concepts in database and basic Python. I am slowly moving towards to become a full stack developer, I hope to start working on projects to show case my work and understanding.

    Now, comes the question I asked in this post's subject, How deep is deep and not too deep?. While learning all these, I came to know, the tutorials on Udemy, or other learning platforms, only scratch the surface, there is whole world inside, in HTML, there is SVG, canvas and numerous web API's to learn, same with CSS, apart from framework there are preprocessors too🤦‍♂️, in JS , there is algorithms and data structures, it all looks so humongous and scary, that makes very hard to keep going.

    I am looking forward to some advice, like, how to pursue from here ( I intend to learn React), what to include in my profile ( in terms of my past experience and age), and how deep should I go in learning to become relevant as a job seeker.

    I know, in this reddit there are many experienced programmers, hoping to find some direction, clarity and motivation(even critical comments to adjust my path).

    submitted by /u/prashraj26
    [link] [comments]

    Any idea why i'm getting a Segmentation fault (core dumped)

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 03:14 AM PDT

    #include<stdio.h>
    #include<unistd.h>
    #include<limits.h>
    #include<stdlib.h>
    void testmethod2(int* value){
    *value=25;
    }
    int main(){
    char *path;
    int *value;
    int arr[10];
    int arr2[10];
    printf("path %s\n",getcwd(path,PATH_MAX));
    testmethod2(value);
    printf("%d",*value);
    for(int i=0;i<9;i++){
    arr[i]=i;
    }
    for(int i=0;i<9;i++){
    printf("%d ",arr[i]);
    }
    return 0;
    }

    output

    submitted by /u/Professional_Mud_376
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys, did I make this UML Use Case Diagram correctly?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 03:10 PM PDT

    Here is the scenario which I am meant to put into a UML Use Case Diagram.

    https://imgur.com/TIP7lCd

    Here is how I broke it down:

    https://imgur.com/O2PHEpe

    and here is my diagram:

    https://imgur.com/1uVSya3

    Did I do correct notation, lines, etc? I wasn't sure about connecting an include use case to the reactive user as I never saw this in tutorial videos. Appreciate any pointers!

    submitted by /u/Sorreljorn
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with Big O problem

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:47 AM PDT

    So I'm taking a self paced algorithms class, and we are currently learning about Big O. I am having trouble proving this statement: https://imgur.com/a/q6hc474

    I was planning on doing a direct proof, but we have never seen an example like this. I have a feeling the statement is false, but I am not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

    submitted by /u/StephenAlbright99
    [link] [comments]

    Graphics on codepen

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:45 AM PDT

    Is it okey to use graphic designs on codepen ? I'm thinking of using the design itself or medify it for different purpose. I will use it without copying the code which is under the MIT licence just as a design?

    submitted by /u/JohnSmith62662
    [link] [comments]

    Getting Drive letter from USB PID and VID

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:37 AM PDT

    I am trying to retrieve Drive letter of a USB storage drive, using it's VID and PID values.

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20143264/find-windows-drive-letter-of-a-removable-disk-from-usb-vid-pid

    I got this, and this seem to work. But bloody hell, i don't know C# or have any experience with Win32api or WMI.

    I am trying to code in Python, using WMI library. After some pain, i learned how to call a win32 class and read it. example code:

    import wmi c = wmi.WMI() for item in c.Win32_PhysicalMedia(): print(item) 

    i have tried to print and compare every relevant class, and classes talked about in the mentioned link. But can't seem to understand, how the person in that stackoverflow link, interconnected each class and got out disk drive. I cudn't find any link by printing these classes, any same attribute or something. The person uses some keywords, which I don't understand , google also didn't help. Maybe that is doing some magic, which my eyes cannot see.

    Someone Please help me understand it, and port it to python.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/14_tovarish_14
    [link] [comments]

    Return a value in row when mail is send

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:28 AM PDT

    Hello, I'am making a google apps script that sends a confirmation email when the form got submitted. Now the script only sends a mail when i checked a chekbox on 'true' in my speadsheet. But if many people submit the form it keeps sending emails to the people who already got an email.

    Is there a way how I could return a value on each row in the sheet and than make a statement in my file that reconises only the rows were the email isn't already send to?

    This is my script (weTransfer) --> https://we.tl/t-eLLEtr9qXs

    function myFunction() { // ** Variables ** var first = 0; var last = 1; var email = 2; var phone = 3; var subject = "Confirmation Email" // ** Variable Email-Template ** var emailTemp = HtmlService.createTemplateFromFile("email"); // ** Varibale Access Sheet "Sheet1" ** var ws = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet().getSheetByName("Sheet1"); // ** Variable Access Range of Values ** var data = ws.getRange("A2:E" + ws.getLastRow()).getValues(); // ** Filter Checkbox Column E(4) ** data = data.filter(function(filterCheckbox){ return filterCheckbox[4] == true }); // ** Loop Array "var data" data.forEach(function(row){ // ** HTML-File Variables ** emailTemp.fn = row[first]; emailTemp.ln = row[last]; emailTemp.phone = row[phone]; var htmlMessage = emailTemp.evaluate().getContent(); GmailApp.sendEmail( row[email],subject, "Your email doesn't support HTML.", {name: "Email App", htmlBody: htmlMessage, replyTo:"my-email"} ); }); } 
    submitted by /u/grazieragraziek9
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about web development

    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 03:05 PM PDT

    What programming language should I learn for web development?

    And can anyone recommend any good free online courses in this field?

    submitted by /u/EvanCdotmp3
    [link] [comments]

    Why hasn't an alternative to C++ been made?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:20 AM PDT

    What does it take to make a better low level language like C++ that is used for speed and performance programs. There are many companies out there with an r & d department so why don't they work on that. Please explain to someone who has read about C++ knows little of basics of it and doesn't know how to program yet.

    submitted by /u/evil_genius_20
    [link] [comments]

    Python Projects related to Finance

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:16 AM PDT

    Hey Guys!!! I am an intermediate level programmer with python language and I was looking for some ideas to start a project related to the finance. Can u guys give some project ideas??

    submitted by /u/SnooFoxes3490
    [link] [comments]

    Git branch question

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 01:31 AM PDT

    I am a beginner at git and I was playing around with git, I made a branch using the git branch <branch\_name> command. But it seems that the master branch and the branch I made are synced. I made a new file while I was in the branch I made and when I went to the master branch using the git checkout main command the file I created in the other branch is visible in the main branch also!

    What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/Ghost_Redditor_
    [link] [comments]

    I am new to html and CSS, and wanted to do something very simple, i.e. change the background color of my page to black.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 12:45 AM PDT

    So I have never had such a simple problem before and I don't know what I am doing wrong. The bg color in my html file will not change to black.

    Here's the code: ``` <!DOCTYPE html>

    <html> <link rel="preconnect" href="https://fonts.gstatic.com"> <link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css2?family=Rubik:wght@300&display=swap" rel="stylesheet">

    <style> .stylee{ font-family: 'Rubik', sans-serif; background-color: 'black'; font-color: 'yellow'; } body{ background-color: 'black'; } </style> <body> <div class="stylee"> <!-- The Google font works, but the background and text colors don't --> <h1>Be happy keep smiling</h1> <h2>Music for you</h2> </div> </body> 

    </html> ```

    What am I doing wrong? I even tried putting !important in front of background-color: 'black'; but that doesn't seem to work.

    submitted by /u/VivoJay
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best chrome extension development courses available?

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 12:44 AM PDT

    I know chrome updates it's policies for extensions with new updates in their API.
    It's hard to find any updated course.

    submitted by /u/Current_Dark6603
    [link] [comments]

    Heeeelp is needed for this poor soul

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 12:40 AM PDT

    Anyone who knows how to make a 3x3 system of equations c ++ program other than Cramer?

    submitted by /u/Huge_Collection_17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment