• Breaking News

    Monday, March 15, 2021

    I made the same game in Unity and Unreal to help people see the real workflows.

    I made the same game in Unity and Unreal to help people see the real workflows.


    I made the same game in Unity and Unreal to help people see the real workflows.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:09 PM PDT

    Is motion capture via an Xbox One Kinect still viable? Have people moved on?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 08:51 AM PDT

    Title. I'm at my wits end trying to create/ source decent animations on a budget of practically 0. I've taught myself Blender modelling, I've taught myself to programme. I've taught myself Unreal - I cannot muster the mental power to teach myself animation AND implement it so a lot of time has been wasted lately trying to find a workaround.

    Things I've tried:
    1. Hand rigging and animation - Looks awful when I do it. Takes forever to rig a character and then create realistic movements frame by frame (I'm sure most of you have tried it at some point.) Lost so many potential development hours to this.

    1. DeepMotion - video conversion software that sounds great and the demo reels look amazing but after repeated attempts I'm unable to get usable animations from it. If anyone has had good success with this I'd like to hear it as maybe I'm just bad at capturing what I need. Luckily this hasnt been much of a time or effort sink, but it getting there.

    2. Good old mixamo - great to get going but there is no uniformity, you can't set all animations to 'in place' making them worthless for game development. I've even gone so far as sinking a couple of hours into trying to edit one of the animations manually in blender to get it to do what I want but it's not great and alters it slightly. Locking root motion locks the bottom spine/ hip bone as it has no root bone so that looks weird af too. Though I did just wonder what would happen if I added a root bone to every mixamo animation using blender and recreated the skeleton using that armature. Parenting the hip bone to the root bone may then lock it in place? But this is easily another 1-2 hours to test effectively so if anyone else has tried that please let me know :)

    So now I'm looking at the kinect solution. I have access to a kinect but need the PC adapter so I wanted to ask before committing. None of the videos I've seen seem to capture hand movements so that sucks but if it's that or nothing I'm happy to try and work around that!

    Thanks for reading fellow devs!

    submitted by /u/JOMAEV
    [link] [comments]

    VillageSim Devlog #1

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:27 AM PDT

    Sup.

    Not really sure where to start so I'll just jump in. I'm making a game that I've codenamed "VillageSim". I've been working on it for a couple months now. These are the main ideas:

    • 2D rpg
    • fusion between Skyrim and Dwarf Fortress
    • npcs can do most anything the player can do
    • npcs behavior driven by needs and goals, with personality attributes acting like a behavior template selector
    • fully simulated living world where interesting things are happening with or without player interaction

    So I get that it's really ambitious. How much have I done? Not a lot. I don't have much game dev experience, but I work as a software engineer. Right now I'm focused on adding in the functionality and getting a single village up and running. I've purposely kept the art as simple as possible so that I end up wasting as little time on that as possible. I want to finalize my design and functionality before I start thinking about art/ui and polishing things. My current goal is to finish the game prototype by June. The scope of the prototype will just be a single village with some npcs running around and interacting with the player. I'm hoping on releasing the 2nd devlog then ideally with a really crappy YT video of some terrible programmer art illustrating the basic concepts lol.

    There's a lot more detail to the idea than what I've listed, but I don't think there's really much point in enumerating every last detail before it's even implemented lol. If you are curious I'd be happy to talk about it.

    My long term, semi ambitious goal is to release a game 1 year after the prototype is finished. I'm hoping to use the prototype as foundation for bringing some programmer friends on to the project so there's something real they can latch on to and start building off of. I'm using Godot because I find it easy to work with and it seems to support native C++ interaction. There isn't a whole lot of game architecture design yet, mostly just documentation specifying the functionality of all the different systems in the game (buildings, inventory, npc, players, combat, social, etc ...). For the prototype, I'm thinking I'm going to do everything in Godot Script. But for the actual game, I'm going to have a dedicated simulation layer that's purely logical written in C++, with Godot acting as the front end. So basically the world will reside in C++, and wherever the player is will be loaded into Godot with all the corresponding gameobjects. I work full time and I'm not planning on quitting my job anytime soon. If this ends up working out over the next year or two I might consider trying to do this full time.

    I really like how Skyrim is a continuous world(or at least gives the illusion of being continuous while streaming the level in as the player is moving around). I want to recreate that in 2D whilst having a fully simulated world going on in the background like DF. I'm thinking realistically the other villages in the world that the player is not at will be deloaded from memory and there will be some kind of heuristic algorithm looking at all the npcs and items in that area and approximating what would be happening in that village/region if it were actually loaded in the game. I'm thinking this will be purely done in the simulation layer. I want to avoid premature optimization as much as possible though.

    See you in 3 months o/

    submitted by /u/GangrenousDickPimple
    [link] [comments]

    Unreal Engine Blueprints vs Unity Visual Scripting

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    ok so i'ma keep it short, i know basic C++ so i went UE4, quickly learned that you have to build it yourself for linux, and i ain't gonna talk about all the problems i got with that. then i learned that unity also has a visual scripting tool so i'm thinking unity cause they provide a binary installer, but i might have problems with it cause i don't know c#. so i want to know which is better to solve this crisis. what is better in 2021, blueprints or unity visual scripting

    submitted by /u/th_max_u_nvr_expctd_
    [link] [comments]

    GameDev on Chromebook

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:20 AM PDT

    Is there any way you can develop games on a chromebook?

    submitted by /u/Prestigious-Copy-126
    [link] [comments]

    How to produce this art style? (Battle Realms, Warcraft 3)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:21 AM PDT

    I really like the art style of Battle Realms and Warcraft 3, a cartoony low polygon pixel art like aesthetic.

    Here are some screenshots from Battle Realms (Zen edition though, but it looks close to the original I think?):

    Warcraft 3:

    (Which I think looks nicer than the remaster, at least in terms of art style)

    I'm assuming this is tile based with small height variations (noise based or something) to give it some depth, with smooth transitions between layers of pixel art textures.

    I'm particularly curious as to how the grass transitions this smoothly into the other tiles. Is this with some form of procedural generation? Or are the tiles just very small, hiding the square transitions? There are definitely some rounded corners though.

    Any ideas or resources on this?

    submitted by /u/RaptorDotCpp
    [link] [comments]

    Solo devs - How do you schedule productions?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:29 AM PDT

    I'm a beginning solo dev and I'm looking for effective scheduling for production, or in laymen's terms - deciding what comes first - mechanics, animation, sound, graphics... Etc?

    Should I first work on animations, to get the feel right?, should I focus on consistent mechanics - even if they lack flair at the moment (sfx, vfx, animations)? Should I design a prototype level, so that I could get a better understanding of the whole experience, or should I start with graphics as soon as I can get something moving, to create the game's visual language, and make it look less like the front page of the asset store?

    I'm currently working on all at once, and I can't help but feel it's kind of a mess, and not productive enough.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/AoutoCooper
    [link] [comments]

    I trying to recreate Hexagonal Chess in Unity as a exercise

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 04:24 AM PDT

    Hello

    As title said I trying to recreate Hexagonal Chess to learn how to use Hexagons.

    I'm not even trying to create anything big, I still learning and I think this "project" it would be good beginning. I'm looking for references or how to even start. I prefer 2D instead of 3D to not turn my Potato into French Fries, but 3D shouldn't be a problem

    Am I familiar with C#? I know C# Basics (I know how Classes work, how to convert data types etc. very basic stuff) but knowledge about Unity Syntax is quite limited.

    Am I familiar with Unity Editor? I guess

    So do you know any guides, know any tips that would help?

    submitted by /u/AnonimowySzaleniec47
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement matchmaking?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:53 AM PDT

    I'm part of a team creating a FPS game (Battlefield like), and we're researching possibilities of matchmaking. We have some basic setup, but we're unsure if it'll able to handle thousand of players trying to join in at the same time. It has to work with squads (groups of +/- 10 people), but this shouldn't be an issue as we have this functionality working now. Our master server is written in node.js. I don't think there are any tools or libraries that can be used for it, so my question is:
    How do we implement it? Does anyone has some resources on how `quickplay` work in any major games?

    submitted by /u/Niesyto
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a problem with making the game databases from code rather than from a JSON or text file?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 09:47 AM PDT

    Hello!

    Is it a bad approach to define your game databases in code rather than externally?

    For example, you would have a class called UnitDatabase in which you define your units as an Array of objects (e.g. created through constructors or what not).

    I understand it will only be modifiable at compilation, but other than that, is there any reason I would not do that over, say, loading them from a JSON or XML file into the game?

    I assume it's faster if done from code, and you can also use cool language features, such as functions and other objects.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/daverave1212
    [link] [comments]

    NeoAxis Game Engine 2021.1 Released - .NET Core, 3D/2D engine. Improved ambient lighting, metal materials, rendering speed, rendering quality, basic content.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 06:26 AM PDT

    My action stealth parkour game made in UE4!

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    https://youtu.be/FtAKlo4eiO8

    i've been working on this game for about 5 months now and im really proud of progress!

    the game is not ready for early access "yet" because it doesnt have any content (levels, sounds, 3d models...etc) and i think i've crushed most of the bugs. the AI is decent but i want to improve it.

    as of the story it's... well, let's just say it's good (i hope).

    submitted by /u/iskander_1962
    [link] [comments]

    Using Tcp and Udp in a multiplayer game?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:11 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm making my first multiplayer game and I was wondering about what protocol to use. I read that Tcp is used for event based game as it makes sure that every packet arrived in the right order, on another hand Udp doesn't care if the packet arrived on the remote machine. As I want to build a real-time action game I think that the best implementation would be with Udp, but I come to a problem, what if the client needed to be sure to receive an event? Would it be a good idea to use both Tcp and Udp protocol depending on what is sent?

    Example:

    Udp:

    • This user's location is 5:15

    Tcp:

    • This door is now open
    • I want to buy this with my golds
    • This player got killed

    I've also thought of using Tcp in the menus (joining a friend, authentification etc) as I want every request to be received.

    In addition, is it very hard to use Udp in comparison to Tcp? I've read that the connection-less way of working makes it hard to use, but isn't the point of it? To not care if whether or not a packet is received?

    submitted by /u/ZauChoco
    [link] [comments]

    question about inspiration

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:06 PM PDT

    so i want to make a game about traversing a maze. I can't figure out how to make it so each maze isn't just made up of narrow hallways while staying complex. fast forward, I'm playing darkest dungeon and i notice that although the characters move on a 1d plane, the rooms are 2d. and also feel like moving through a maze since some rooms branch and some are dead ends. in short, if I modeled the movement design of my game like that, it would solve so many problems. but at the same time, I'm worried that since that style of movement is so unique to darkest dungeon, using it in my game would make it look like a copy. where is the line drawn that separates inspiration from shameless copying?

    submitted by /u/Boop_master22
    [link] [comments]

    any discord servers specifically for javascript game development?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:00 PM PDT

    I've been getting into web based game dev recently, mostly just messing around with making simple mini games. If you know of any discord servers that would be good to join let me know!

    submitted by /u/planet-333
    [link] [comments]

    Any free low poly rigged characters I can use for a medieval arena fight game?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:34 AM PDT

    I'm trying to find some simple rigged low poly characters for a game I'm trying to make for my friends. I'm not looking for them to be animated, just rigged. So far I've found some warriors characters where I can change some colors for making them unique, but the more complicated thing to find is an archer character and a good looking mage one.

    Any place I could look for them? Thanks ^^

    submitted by /u/vraciu_
    [link] [comments]

    Help with my firts proyect.(Pong like game)

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:24 AM PDT

    I am trying to play a game similar to pong and I am in the part of creating the movement of the ball, specifically in the bounces when it hits the wall and I had come up with this code that I thought would work.

    // Start is called before the first frame update

    public float ballspeed,movx,movy;

    public float maxX , maxXY;

    public float minX , minY ;

    public float objectWidth, objectHeight;

    public Vector2 screenBounds;

    public Camera MainCamera;

    void Start()

    {

    screenBounds = MainCamera.ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(Screen.width, Screen.height, MainCamera.transform.position.z));

    ballspeed = 2f;

    objectWidth = transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.extents.x;

    objectHeight = transform.GetComponent<Renderer>().bounds.extents.y;

    maxX = screenBounds.x * -1 + objectWidth;

    minX = screenBounds.x - objectWidth;

    maxY = screenBounds.y * -1 + objectHeight;

    minY = screenBounds.y - objectHeight;

    movx = -.5f;

    movy = -.5f;

    }

    // Update is called once per frame

    void Update()

    {

    Vector3 viewPos = transform.position;

    if (viewPos.x == maxX )

    {

    movx *= -1;

    }

    else if (viewPos.x == minX )

    {

    movx *= -1;

    }

    else if (viewPos.y == maxY )

    {

    movy *= -1;

    }

    else if (viewPos.y == minY )

    {

    movy *= -1;

    }

    else

    {

    transform.Translate(movx * Time.deltaTime * ballspeed, movy * Time.deltaTime * ballspeed, 0f);

    }

    }

    submitted by /u/Y3tiX
    [link] [comments]

    Legal procedures for publising a game

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 07:24 AM PDT

    Hi everyone! A group of friends and I are planning to make a indie game, so several questions came to mind, one of them is the problems related to realeasing a game has. which procedures are needed to achieve this? We are from Spain, idk if that matters.

    submitted by /u/Xolopo
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me extract music from .dig files?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 11:09 AM PDT

    Trying to rip music from Bomberman Land 2 on gamecube. I don't want the PS2 version, I need the gamecube version.

    submitted by /u/Glad_Post2785
    [link] [comments]

    I study Godot - Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) Primitives Overview

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 02:20 AM PDT

    Is there any value in asking for gameplay-feedback on an early prototype that uses placeholder graphics?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:55 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm currently prototyping my next game, which will be a top-down shooter similar to "Enter the Gungeon" or "Nuclear Throne" - so pixel art it will be ;)

    But first I want to nail down the gameplay, so I created some very very simple and ugly pixel graphics, just enough to get used to the Unity 2D tools (tilesets, 2D animation etc.).

    When I get to a point with my prototype (which might come soon) that I'm satisfied with the gameplay should I post it (like here, or on r/indiegames for instance) to get feedback on the gameplay? Or will people not be able to see past the ugly placeholder assets and just dismiss it outright?

    Looking forward to your thoughts about this!

    submitted by /u/RobertBleyl
    [link] [comments]

    Open Source C++ games in active development?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:52 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a project to contribute to to hone my C++ and collaboration skills. Do you guys have any suggestions on interesting games in development with a nice community that is welcoming to newcomers? It would be nice, if the project is not already almost done.

    submitted by /u/DerCze
    [link] [comments]

    Oliver wonder

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:51 AM PDT

    What's up i'm a video game writer and i wrote a game and i finished i just wanna sell it and work with the company that will take it but i don't know how to contact ubisoft for example and i saw on google so they told me to contact them on ubisoft support but on ubisoft support you can only talk about glitches and bugges of the games that ubisoft produced and you cannot write you can only choose what bug or glitch the game is dealing with so if anyone knows how can i contact by email please help me or anyone knows a little company that makes games for ps4 and pc it would mean the world for me because it's my dream please help me if you can thank you so much

    submitted by /u/RemoveRelevant1861
    [link] [comments]

    If you do your own audio work in games do you attain all the sound for your project individually or from packs including SFX and music?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 10:37 AM PDT

    Trying to figure out how the best way for me to approach the audio is, any help would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/omallyman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment