• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 18, 2021

    Great GDC Talk about PR!

    Great GDC Talk about PR!


    Great GDC Talk about PR!

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 02:39 AM PDT

    I have spent a whole day trying to fix a bug, nothing solves it, today I fix it in 5 minutes... on the first try...

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 07:16 AM PDT

    I am happy because I finally fix it... and EXTREME angry at how easy it was to fix...

    How much this happens to you?

    submitted by /u/Gradash
    [link] [comments]

    Here's an absolutely free pack of fruits for your game!!

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 10:49 AM PDT

    Looking for 3D texture painting software that plays nice with Blender

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 08:50 AM PDT

    I'm done trying to paint organic models in Blender. The problem is the "bleeding", as in you paint one area, and another area that your brush is not touching gets painted too. I've googled it, tried all kinds of settings and different UV unwraps, I've spent hours and hours on it, and I'm just done.

    I love the painting interface in Sculptris, but the texture maps it puts out don't work with Blender, they are all garbled up, like the eyes are on the chest. I'm looking for a program where I can simply paint on the model, and then export a texture map that will just look right when I apply it in Blender. If you know of any, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

    EDIT: On second thought, one caveat to the "I'm just done" is if there is a Blender add on that truly fixes the problem. I can't tell if Bpainter does this, and it's $40...

    submitted by /u/LaaadeBack
    [link] [comments]

    Let's Code: Candy Crush-esque Game - Part 2

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 06:17 AM PDT

    To Download this character the link in the Youtube description. This is a full game character creation series, from sculpting to gameplay, where i show my pipeline and workflow through time-lapses.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 09:59 PM PDT

    The weirdest and funniest errors you made in making a Game.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 07:57 PM PDT

    What's the weirdest error you have ever come across, but made you laugh at how silly it was?

    For me, I was in the middle of getting projectiles to work in a video game. Since normal 'detect_collision' was not an option in my game, I had to use a ton of layers in Unity to avoid weird results. Instead, my projectiles kept hitting the air, the problem? The damn post processing lights! It had its own detectable collision area, so I just put it under 'ignore collision' layer.

    Another one was when I somehow caused a memory leak in Unity C#. Don't know how I did to this day.

    What about you people?

    submitted by /u/EconomyStruggle1
    [link] [comments]

    LOWPOLY Game World #1 | Blender Speed Modeling LOWPOLY Cube Tree

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 10:41 AM PDT

    My game blew up and got to the Steam front page yes finally! now what...

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 05:16 PM PDT

    As the title says, it was a really fun week. Gained a small number of fans. Now what do I do?

    submitted by /u/Fathybasha
    [link] [comments]

    How do you create a sense atmosphere?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 10:31 AM PDT

    I know this probably has more to do with art design, but I'm trying to make a game so I felt this would be a fitting sub to ask: games like NieR Automata, Life is Strange, and Night in the Woods have such beautiful, dense, distinct atmospheres. How do you create an atmosphere like that? Not necessarily similar to those, but one that is equally engrossing?

    submitted by /u/2ndMin
    [link] [comments]

    Help me understand something

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 01:45 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. If you dont remember me, I'm the one who made the "Am I too stupid to learn how to code?" thread from two weeks ago. thanks everyone for the encouragement and support! I finished my Unity Course and now I'm taking a C# masterclass course on Unity to get those fundamentals down hard and understand coding better. I feel more knowledgeable and confident that I did 15 days ago, that's for sure!!!

    Anyway! I had some questions about game development, and please, assume I don't know much, but here's what I understand:

    Yes, you can literally code everything yourself, but you don't actually need to. Many people that Gamedev use assets from the Unity store including blocks of code for things, i.e, if you're looking into making a "random dungeon generator", you could code one into existence yourself, or you could use one of the many on the Unity Asset store.

    Am I generally correct in this assumption? Lots of what programming in gamedev is, is using other's code to supplement your own?

    submitted by /u/CaptainKlang
    [link] [comments]

    Godot TileMap: Single, AutoTile and Atlas TileSet

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 09:59 AM PDT

    (BRAINCHILDART Armory #18) Lowpoly BOW in BLENDER 3D

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 12:41 AM PDT

    Python Game Development™: Build 5 Professional Games

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 12:15 PM PDT

    How would I go about making a HUD in Unity

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 08:10 AM PDT

    I want to try building a HUD to accompany the standard asset aircraft jet in Unity (or any aircraft). Something that occupies a 2D window on the screen, and has pitch indicators which move and rotate as the player's camera changes it's position and look-vector.

    I've found youtube tutorials that show how to make GUIs on the screen in Unity, but these seem to be making static GUIs, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use possible to build a HUD using sprite images in GUIs. When I used to play Roblox, I remember that it's built in GUI system was powerful and let you constantly modify position/rotation of GUI objects through scripts, but I'm not sure if Unity has a similar enough system yet - from the tutorials I see it looks a lot more do it yourself.

    In my graphics class, we have learned OpenGL to the extent that we can draw objects like mazes or fractals on a screen using vertex positions. I was wondering if there is anything similar to this in Unity? I.e.: something that would let me draw lines given a list of vertices, which could overlay these lines onto the screen so that the player sees both the 3D world and the HUD created by placing 2D onto the screen/

    I'm kind of new to Unity so I'm not sure how I should go about doing this, does anyone have any tips for what I should be googling to go about making a HUD in Unity? I.e. should I be going the GUI route, or some other route?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/du-dx
    [link] [comments]

    What makes Resident Evil's design great? [25th Anniversary Celebration] [38:28]

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 04:04 AM PDT

    advice for creating a bare-bones mmo (essentially a glorified "chatroom")

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 07:50 AM PDT

    i'd like to create a very basic 2D chatroom, in the style of something like ponytown. character creation on a simple "base", where you can select parts and patterns. possibly with color sliders but i feel like predetermined swatches might be easier.

    there could be one or two main "rooms"/hubs, and maybe each player has their own room they can decorate as they please. a chat system is important too, maybe a mailbox/friendlist?

    i'm not interested in a trading system, pvp/battle mechanics, rpg elements, etc... the idea is less of a fully fledged game, more of a tool for specifically the roleplaying community & as a place to chat with others.

    my experience in coding is limited & i am primarily an artist- i'm fully prepared to not see this through, but i think it'll be a fun experience. i like head scratchers haha. and if it falls through i'm sure someone else will make use of the assets 😉

    submitted by /u/Brilliant_Roll_4214
    [link] [comments]

    How to set up multiple ad networks in mobile game? (Unity)

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 11:32 AM PDT

    I am currently creating my first mobile game in unity. I currently have unity ads as the only add network but from my understand, ad networks serve a certain amount of ads per day. I would like to add more ad networks to maximize my chances of revenue. I know of a few other ad networks but I don't know how to how to integrate them so they run smoothly. Can anyone with experience assist me please.

    Thanks you

    submitted by /u/MGhaba
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling odd watching updates from a project I was let go from?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2021 05:21 PM PDT

    So, I don't know where to start, but here it goes.

    To keep it simple, I worked on a relatively big game (in my eyes) for a client, together with a small team (i.e. two artists and a musician). My role in the project was acting as the sole programmer/gameplay developer. The game focused more on the artistic side of things than solid gameplay, so I never felt overwhelmed and performed well.

    Long story short, due to covid (plus some personal issues related to the client because of this) the project was cancelled, and so we all split apart and found new jobs. Note: This happened a couple of months after covid started, so it was a while ago.

    As a random thought, I decided to check Twitter to check for any updates related to the project, to see if all my time and effort was being used for something rather than scrapped.

    Apparently, after some mysterious donations from some angel investors, they were able to create a new team with double the people containing none of the originals, and they posted some pretty sick updates to be fair (with some of the things I worked on tweaked/updated alongside some new stuff).

    Now, here I am feeling weird about this whole situation and how it unfolded, while also feeling strangely nostalgic which I never thought I'd taste coming from something like this. What am I suppose to do?

    submitted by /u/throwawayacc93413
    [link] [comments]

    How to create exploration interesting on hexagon based map? (No FoW)

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 10:36 AM PDT

    Is it possible to create exploration interesting and fun on hexagon based map and no fog of war?

    submitted by /u/Lord-Herek
    [link] [comments]

    Should I market my game in more than one language?

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 10:35 AM PDT

    Hi gamedev!

    I'm in the final stages of developing my first game and ready to start marketing it. But, as a brazilian, I don't know if its worth it to market it in portuguese or english (or both), especially on social media like Instagram and Twitter. Although the english market is pratically "universal", the brazilian audience is pretty big and the market is not as competitive, so Im thinking of trying to take a bite of it.

    So, what should I do? Should I make separate accounts to post? Should I make one post on both languages? Should I focus on just one market? Should I give up and travel the world by feet with my dog?

    submitted by /u/Guinub
    [link] [comments]

    NEED HELP! How was this animation achieved? 2D top-down shooter

    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 09:15 AM PDT

    im having a really hard time wrapping my head around this... I'm in the process of making a 2D TOP-DOWN ISOMETRIC view shooter in UNITY and i need some tips/answers on how to get my sprite animations to look correct.

    my humanoid character needs to be able to walk in all directions, shoot in all directions 360 degrees (at mouse position), strafe (depending on rotation), and walk backwards (depending on rotation).

    I have made sprites for a walk cycle in 8 directions/angles N,W,S,E,NW,NE,SW,SE but I want my humanoid character to be able to rotate and shoot 360 degrees (facing toward the mouse). how do go about creating sprites and animating them in unity? i have a decent understanding of scripts/player controllers/blend trees but how do i render the correct sprite depending on my movement/rotation? what sprites do i need to be able to not only walk in every direction but also strafe and walk backwards when necessary?

    the ONLY example of a 2D game that i have found that achieves the look I want is SYNTHETIK: Legion RISING .. does anyone know how this sprite animation was achieved? also alien shooter is also similair to what i need

    i know some have used methods like rotating the sprite and flip it on the axis like Enter the Gungeon or have also cut the sprite practically in 2 sections with 2 different controllers to control the legs in one direction and the upper half in another. but neither of those seem to be quite what i am looking for.

    "I am fairly new to programming and unity" so the more info you can give the better thanks!

    submitted by /u/trest03
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment