• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 7, 2021

    Everyone Can Make 3D Animations Now with Monster Mesh

    Everyone Can Make 3D Animations Now with Monster Mesh


    Everyone Can Make 3D Animations Now with Monster Mesh

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 11:25 AM PST

    In C#, whenever I want to pass a function into another function, I have to remind myself of the syntax for the generic delegate types (Action, Func, Predicate). In case anyone else has a similar issue, I made a video that goes over all of them. I hope it's helpful!

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 12:47 AM PST

    Marketing with a company name or personal name??

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:35 PM PST

    Hi!

    I'm just starting with the pre marketing campaing for my new game. Yey!

    Right now I'm about to start with all the social media stuff and I'm not sure what's the correct way to go. I guess that being personal helps to create better conection with your audience, but in the other hand maybe a brand sound more convincing?? Like, "I will buy a game from a company that from 1 random dude".

    I have no experience in branding or bussiness so I'm beging you a little bit of help!

    submitted by /u/JRavenchick
    [link] [comments]

    Fps recoil, 3 technical questions.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 10:17 AM PST

    I'm working on recoil for guns in general. Are there certain rules to get good recoil? Right now i have a simple vertical recoil that turns the gun from angle A to B in T1 amount of time and then from B to A in T2 (longer) amount of time, so it's 3 parameters (t1 ,t2 , b-a)and the motion is "simple" since the speed is constant.

    1) Is this the right approach or is there a better way to do it? Maybe more complex or smooth (i'm still not sure if something like this would change much since we're talking about fractions of seconds).

    2)If this is the right approach, is there a right proportion between those parameters i wrote?

    3) imagine using guns with completely different recoils like a pistol and a shotgun, where the second one covers a larger angle while recoiling, would you keep the "velocity" of the recoil similar to the pistol (therefore it takes more time) or have more similar times (so higher recoil velocity on the shotgun).

    Ps: the direction of the recoil is not the issue here. I forgot to say that the recoils moves both the cam and the gun

    submitted by /u/xirson15
    [link] [comments]

    Animation advice needed please

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 06:46 PM PST

    Hi guys - So I've been messing round with my first games in unreal and generally accruing knowledge instead of trying to build anything concrete.

    My main focus has now turned to character movement. What's the general practice/s regarding this these days? I've spent a while hand rigging a custom character and my hand animations are far too janky to be acceptable (not to mention time consuming).

    I've considered just buying an animations pack from the epic marketplace but I'm concerned that a) I will have to rig my meshes to the unreal skeleton as the animations seem to be made off of that mostly and then b) this will cause making any kind of tweaks or custom animations in future more awkward to accomplish.

    I've downloaded ALS (here) and it's definitely been a massive help in letting me realise the potential, though its probably OTT for what I want so I'll be taking small parts of it to implement, but I still need animations to get going. I retargeted the ALS skeleton successfully and the walking etc was ok but it wasnt fantastic with the IK etc. Ultimately, I'd really like to use ALS as inspiration to build my own movement system from the ground up, but I'm not asking for advice on that right now (unless you want to give some :D) as I think having satisfying movement is imperative to 3rd person games.

    And of course motion capture is out of the question due to cost so what do my fellow indie brethren do mostly? I'm gonna guess it's not as simple as throw money at packs

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/JOMAEV
    [link] [comments]

    I just finished my tutorial covering how to shoot bullets in Godot. I know it's quite a simple topic, but I'm looking to create another tutorial soon that requires the watcher to know this. Let me know what you think

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 11:41 AM PST

    UE4 Drone/Space Racing Game Template. https://kayoverlord.itch.io/dronespace-racing-game-template

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:26 PM PST

    Late Night... what could I build in an hour using Unity 3D + Asset Forge

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 11:23 AM PST

    10 years in the industry - here's what I've learned.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 12:51 PM PST

    Hey Guys

    I'm Matt Binkowski, I was the lead game designer on Dying Light. I spent 7 years in total on the production floor, and then 3 years on the business side of video games.

    I wanted to share what I've learned over the years. It would be impossible to write it all down so instead, I started recording videos about it.

    For now, I plan to cover it over 10 episodes. Three are already available here: https://youtu.be/jC2ebnUBxZc - biggest issues during production https://youtu.be/LhDKjPORqIs - what to take care of during pre-production https://youtu.be/MeSMrByMgn8 - how to define player fantasy

    Feel free to ask me anything.

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/_MadM4tt_
    [link] [comments]

    Best practices for turning blender obj into walkable terrains in unity?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 02:32 PM PST

    Hey everyone, as the title says, what are some tips and better practices for turning blender obj (or any 3d obj in general) into good, walkable terrains in unity?

    submitted by /u/CalbandPals
    [link] [comments]

    Destroy Enemies & Player Health UI | 2D Top Down RPG in Unity #7 | 2D Ga...

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 09:11 AM PST

    Steamworks Depot issues, steam not downloading game files.

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:39 PM PST

    Has anyone had issues with uploading their game to Steam through Steamworks? I have everything set up (as far as I know). The game appears in my libary I upload the build to steam either using SteamCMD or through Steamworks browser and when I go to install the game Steam won't download any of the files.

    Looking in the Depot all of the game files are there. Does anyone know?

    submitted by /u/Scared-Strawberry376
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Procedural Planets in shader graph

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:18 PM PST

    Turn-based city/base builder a good idea?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:03 PM PST

    Most city or base building games out there are strictly real-time, even though they usually allow for pausing at any time. I'm working on a city building game that implements exploration and crafting on a procedural map, and I was considering making it turn based. This is for a variety of reasons, one being that the map itself is based on a hex grid (a bit like a 4X but at a smaller scale).

    The thing is, I'm a bit worried because I haven't seen any turn-based city builders yet. The closest could be As Far As The Eye, which leans more on the 4X side. I understand that turn-based is usually meant for either tactical combat or for when you are playing against an AI. City-builders usually have neither. My idea was to make the map movement and interactions (including enemies, hazards, loot collection, resource gathering) turn-based. Your main base is built like a classic city builders and the animations are always ongoing, but production proceeds in turn-steps (i.e. after one turn passes, every factory updates their production cycle).

    What would you think of this? Could it be fun if designed well? Or is it a complete no-go for city/base builders?

    submitted by /u/cnio14
    [link] [comments]

    How can I make a matchmaking server for my game

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:02 PM PST

    Hello, I want to make an fps game that you can play ranked on. Does anyone know the steps to be able to make a matchmaking system and or ranked system for my game? I want it to be able to put players in a similar skill level together.

    submitted by /u/BMFPS
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for industry advice

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 05:02 PM PST

    I am an Executive Chef ... Covid has decimated the culinary industry. I am considering retraining to pursue a career in the game design/development industry and I was wondering of the usefulness of these two programs I am considering taking https://www.kickstarter.com/.../game.../description upon completion of that taking https://careertraining.ed2go.com/.../video-game-design/ are these programs useful to pursuing a career in the industry or a waste of my money? Note I have a couple of years of experience in app development for android.

    submitted by /u/Jocelynn1989
    [link] [comments]

    Your Fangame

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 04:11 PM PST

    If you have the chance to make a fangame about your favorite franchise, how you will make it? I want to make a lot of fangames, for example: I would like to make one about Shin Megami Tensei, featuring a SMT If...-like story, but the main characters aren't humans but demons

    submitted by /u/MagicFool64s
    [link] [comments]

    Hey guys! I just made a new tutorial about How to Make Leaves Animation in Wind by using Shader Graph in Unity URP. This is my series tutorials about making Stylized Tree. Hope these videos could give you a little bit help :)

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 11:15 PM PST

    Good enough is sometimes not good enough

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 12:15 PM PST

    Engine Development Question

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:53 PM PST

    Hi! Please help me clarify something I have been arguing with my dad about. When building a new game "engine" do programmers build all of the code from scratch? Or do they use previously established code for simple shapes/movements etc? And if so, where does that code come from? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/diddy206
    [link] [comments]

    How to have rts units move along a 3d mesh?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:47 PM PST

    Hello. I have a terrain mesh. I want my units to move along the ground when I tell them to go somewhere. My first thought was just to move them along x,z axis and then just set their y position to the terrain height at current position each frame.

    But units have mass and velocity and I want them to have these physics in all 3 dimensions (for example a downward cavalry charge). So I don't think just setting their height manually can incorporate this. Units move by applying a move force to their velocity, then the velocity to their positions. Collisions with other units effect momentum in all dimensions.

    How can I go about doing this? I already have a collision system working in 3 dimensions, and a path-finding system in 2d.

    TLDR: How can I move units along terrain while keeping physics (velocity/force/momentum) collisions in 3d?

    submitted by /u/Tree3708
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be showing all my code in dev-logs?

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:45 PM PST

    I've been doing some dev-logs on my game project ( about to make the fourth one ) where i show new additions to the game and also show how all my code works. Should I keep doing this or do you think by me showing my code off I'm just basically making it so other people could just steal it?

    I like displaying code because it shows how i coded the things in my game and also shows experience but i'm just unsure about doing it now.

    submitted by /u/Jahkus
    [link] [comments]

    Steam game download stats wonky

    Posted: 07 Mar 2021 03:33 PM PST

    Anyone else notice their licences granted for today totally inflated on their steam stats page? I usually get 20-40 a day, in the past hour it went to 4500 licences granted, with no downloads. Not sure if steam is off or if some bots added it to their accounts.

    submitted by /u/twigg1012
    [link] [comments]

    Is game programming as a skill, language agnostic?

    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 10:50 PM PST

    For example, if you become proficient at making a specific type of game in a specific engine/language and you decided to switch to a different engine/framework that uses a different language that you are less familiar with, would it be straightforward reimplementing?

    Example- if i made a 2d platformer in in godot with gdscript, then decided to switch to unity later on, and make a platformer in unity with c#, would those skills specific to "platforming" implementations be easily transferable?

    submitted by /u/Optimal_Exercise
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment