• Breaking News

    Monday, March 15, 2021

    A collection of CS course notes - for free :) learn programming

    A collection of CS course notes - for free :) learn programming


    A collection of CS course notes - for free :)

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:17 AM PDT

    Sorry, deleted the previous post but here's the link if anyone's interested: https://sarvasvarora.me/misc/course-notes

    If someone's wondering why I removed them earlier,,, some student in my class warned me that I might be breaching code of conduct as a student. I wanted to make sure if everything's fine and turns out it is because for one, I'm not selling these and secondly, I don't claim the slides material (wherever it is) as mine.

    If anyone still has any problem with it, lmk and I'll remove :)

    submitted by /u/yet_another_cs_dude
    [link] [comments]

    Matlab help

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:21 AM PDT

    Im new to Matlab and need some help. i dont quite understand the difference between when to use a function and loops. im working through a few problems and am stuck on one. As an example question: If F(0) = 3 and F(n) = tan^-1(F(n-1))*n, what is F(20) using the ceil function?

    Im not quite sure where to start, but i think if it is using loops then i dont quite get what the "guts" of the for loop would entail.

    submitted by /u/Boring_userabuser
    [link] [comments]

    Project does too much?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 08:25 PM PDT

    I have a twitch bot that I wanted to add to my github/resume. The thing is I've been adding functionality to it for a year so there's calls to a ton of different api's about different things depending on what the command is.

    Should I trim this down by removing a significant portion of commands when adding it to a resume so that it's a singular topic?

    submitted by /u/jaredLearnsToCode
    [link] [comments]

    Books & Resources for Learning C# & .NET

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:06 PM PDT

    I am not new to programming, and I am looking for some resources to learn C# and .NET.

    I prefer to start off by reading a couple of books then moving onto other resources. I plan on starting with C# 8.0 and .NET Core 3.0 by Mark Price.

    Any other book recommendation and/or resources I should check out?

    submitted by /u/nismospecz
    [link] [comments]

    Low Energy & How to Fight It

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 07:19 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm 30 years old and lately I have been feeling every bit of 30 years old with my energy levels when it comes to programming. The rest of the time when I'm not programming I have all the energy in the world. I play basketball for 2 hours a day, and I wake up feeling refreshed every day and full of energy. Lately, though, when it comes to working on projects or learning new stuff I just feel like I'm tired and my eyes get heavy and I quickly find myself wanting to fall asleep.

    Does anyone else experience this same thing? Or has anyone else found a way to combat this energy loss when it comes to work/education? I'm willing to try just about anything to just keep my energy up so I can put in as many hours as possible for work and also to find the energy I need to be able to focus and educate myself further. Right now I'm working on a pretty decent node.js web app for a customer portal and I'm just struggling to keep my eyes open. They feel so heavy and I start nodding off at the keyboard.

    I tried drinking a redbull and going for a walk and as soon as I'm up and walking I feel full of energy, but then when I sit back down and start typing I just feel instantly drained of all my energy. I used to think it was because of sitting at a desk, but now I have a nice laptop and even when I'm on the couch or sitting outside or in my bed working from my laptop I still am struggling to keep my eyes open and focus on the task at hand.

    Thanks for your help!

    submitted by /u/PaganGodsAreCool
    [link] [comments]

    Android studio

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:43 PM PDT

    Recommend a good course for android studio ..

    submitted by /u/Desperate_Pumpkin168
    [link] [comments]

    What are some of the advanced programming certification?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 06:14 PM PDT

    Is there any kind of certification which proves one is good programmer? Certifications like oracle provides for java. I am looking more for c++.

    submitted by /u/madeh87324
    [link] [comments]

    python conceptual

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:40 AM PDT

    When we use hash functions in python, which will be find the given values in constant time?

    -hashing the phone number by itself and use hashtable to look up the number

    -hashing the letters based on the first characters of them and use hashtable to look up the letter

    -hashing the set of names by summing the ASCII values of all characters of name and use hashtable to look up the name

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SingleCountry
    [link] [comments]

    What is a Typical Development Environment for Backend Services?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:49 PM PDT

    I am self-taught so I don't know all the typical things. I write a lot of backend services at home and my typical dev env is setup to actually run the service quite often. This means I have a docker-compose.yml file that actually runs the service itself along with nginx and a database as well as any other service dependencies. I hear it's not common though - what is a typical backend development environment like? What is it setup to do? Is it only designed to run unit+integration test? Do developers not actually smoketest the workflows in their app logic as they build it?

    submitted by /u/crpleasethanks
    [link] [comments]

    Resources to learn web development with awesome github repositories

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 01:19 AM PDT

    Usage articles "a(n)" and "the" in a documentation

    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 12:40 AM PDT

    Hi,

    How should i use articles in a documentation? Also i am not a native English speaker.

    submitted by /u/gas3872
    [link] [comments]

    How the heck do you guys read documentation? Could really use help / moral support

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 08:26 PM PDT

    Hey all, so I'm a senior computer science major. When I started in college I felt like hot stuff. Prior to my intro CSCI courses, I watched youtube videos about C++ and Java for about a year. I made my own little command line games and had a good time. All throughout college, I've gotten by with just watching tutorial videos.

    Right now I'm really struggling. For one of my current classes, I have to understand asynchronous JavaScript and Express to make back-end applications that handle server requests ( something I know nothing about ). At a point, tutorials alone don't seem to cut it and I have to start digging into detailed documentation to understand what's going on.

    The thing is, whenever I hit up a documentation page, in the first few sentences there are always terms that I don't understand. If I google those terms, I find MORE terms I don't understand. I'm a stressful person and I get overwhelmed by this. It makes me question if I'm fast enough of a learner to succeed as a software engineer. I feel like I'm drowning. Any advice? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/DietDonut
    [link] [comments]

    Downlaod video from a website with src=blobl:https:// .........

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:52 PM PDT

    Hello Guys,

    I want to download a video from a website whose html element is like :

    <video class="jw-video jw-reset" tabindex="-1" disableremoteplayback="" webkit-playsinline="" playsinline="" src="blob:https://learn.aakashitutor.com/618042d5-6f66-42c0-bbf4-1226270af6d6"></video> 

    How can I download these type of video files ?

    Also in the network tab of inspect in my browser it show that this video is streaming with a extension name .m3u8

    I can't find any solution on the internet. There is no post/tutorial regarding this !

    Please help I really need this one ( At least upvote this if you don't know the Answer )

    submitted by /u/mayanksdp11
    [link] [comments]

    Weird issue java print and println.

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:39 PM PDT

    I wrote a super simple code for class. It was just a do while loop. It asks for a number then keeps iterating until you input 0.

    The first thing I do is... System.out.print("Enter a number: ");

    If I run the code with this line in it, it doesn't give the prompt, but it does still take input. I can input 4 then 7 then 8 and so on, never giving the prompt. But when I input 0 it spits out the prompt. It gets displayed one time for each number that was input.

    Now if I use println instead. Not an issue at all. I get the prompt, I input a non zero number, it prompts again and so on until I input 0 then it finishes.

    Here is the thing. Print vs println is the only difference in the code. And other programs do pretty much the same thing if I use print. I have shown it to my Professor. She has no idea whats going on.

    I wrote the code in NetBeans. I tried to open in with Eclipse but I get an error every time and it won't run.

    Any ides what is going on or how to fix it?

    UPDATE WITH CODE. The only difference is which line gets commented out. I can't post a photo.

    import java.util.Scanner;

    public class Homework2 {

     public static void main (String[] args) { Scanner keyboard = new Scanner (System.in); int x; do { System.out.print("Enter a number: "); //System.out.println("Enter a number: "); x = keyboard.nextInt(); } while (x > 0); } 

    }

    submitted by /u/TheHermit_IX
    [link] [comments]

    If I wanted to create a cross-platform desktop GUI today with a free license, which language & framework should I choose?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:36 PM PDT

    Back in the day, the answer was pretty simple: Java. Mainly because it did most of the heavy lifting of cross-platform compatibility. Even if it was ugly and "heavy".

    Today the choices are somewhat more open:

    • Qt has a double-licensing (since 3.0 IIRC) which opens it up for open-source programming
      It's usable with Python (albeit a bit "bumpy")
    • Java is still there. And there now is JavaFX which might look better (I haven't followed Java GUI dev in a while).
    • Write a web-app and bundle it with Electron?
      I've had some bad experiences with apps using Electron. Usually back-breaking memory usage. But that might as well be an issue with the app-code itself, not Electron. Does Electron support minimising to tray? And global shortcuts when the app is not in focus?

    Are there other options? What about C#? How cross-platform can that be? Also things like Flutter? But that seems more appropriate for mobile dev.

    submitted by /u/exhuma
    [link] [comments]

    I want to get specific text from a series of webpages (10-15) and make them into a single file with Python.How shld I go about it?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 11:25 PM PDT

    I'm trying to use beatifulsoup and div tags at the moment

    submitted by /u/Inferno2211
    [link] [comments]

    Why is this return value giving me a memory address?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 07:19 PM PDT

    I have a struct where im trying to add up all the members and its giving me a memory address?

    double FindTotal(MonthlyBudget& budget) { double total = budget.housing + budget.utilities + budget.household + budget.transportation + budget.food + budget.medical + budget.insurance + budget.entertainment + budget.clothing + budget.miscellaneous; return total; } 
    submitted by /u/HousePappas
    [link] [comments]

    Visual Studio Code - MAC

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 04:49 PM PDT

    When I did some coding at University, I used CodeBlocks (Mac) which made it very easy to compile and run my code. I decided to switch over to Visual Studio Code because Codeblocks for Mac hasn't been updated since 2013. I can't get my code (C++) to run at all. It pops up settings.json. I'm not sure how to solve this issue. I'm a fairly novice coder. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/zook420
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help with Input

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:46 PM PDT

    std::string firstchoice; std::string willyouretry; while (firstchoice != "Left" && firstchoice != "Right") { std::cout << "Which road will you choose, as this story's hero?" << std::endl; std::cout << "Please enter 'Left' or 'Right'." << std::endl; std::cout << std::endl; std::getline(std::cin, firstchoice); if (firstchoice == "Left") { std::cout << "You decide to go left down the Darkest Shore." << std::endl; std::cout << "...the coast seems to be clear! It looks like you have chosen the right path!" << std::endl; std::cout << std::endl; } else if (firstchoice == "Right") { std::cout << "You decide to go down the right path...and yikes! You fall down what seems to be a bottomless pit, ending your hero's tale." << std::endl; std::cout << std::endl; std::cout << "Would you like to retry? Please enter 'Yes' or 'No'." << std::endl; while (willyouretry != "Yes" && willyouretry != "No") { std::getline(std::cin, willyouretry); if (willyouretry == "Yes") { std::cout << "You have decided to retry." << std::endl; } else if (willyouretry == "No") { exit(2); } else if (willyouretry != "Yes" || willyouretry != "No") { std::cout << "Please enter either 'Yes' or 'No'." << std::endl; } } } else if (firstchoice != "Left" || firstchoice != "Right") { std::cout << "Please enter either 'Left' or 'Right'." << std::endl; std::cout << std::endl; } } 

    My issue here is the embedded while loop, the one that reads while (willyouretry != "Yes" && willyouretry != "No"). Whenever I type "No" or just some random text, the program does what it needs to do; either ends the program or asks the user to input either Yes or No, respectively. However, my issue is when the user inputs "Yes". What's supposed to happen is when the user types "Yes", it is supposed to direct them back to the question of whether they will take the right or left path, on the line where it reads std::cout << "Please enter 'Left' or 'Right'." << std::endl;.

    God, I've been trying to figure this out for HOURS tonight, but I just can't figure it out for the life of me. HELP!

    submitted by /u/Vexuri
    [link] [comments]

    Python scripting for alpha testing

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:33 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I recently joined a company as a tester. My responsibility is in alpha testing of electronics product by automation. The firmware of devices is in C or C++ and I do not have access to it so everything is hidden from me. So for me, those unittest, pytest kind of frameworks won't work as my responsbility is to generate the signals via scripts and read them back and then use assertion to verify is it is what is expected. Any source where I can get some tutorial on these kind of scriptings? All the resources I have seen online just teach basics of python or maybe advanced topics but they don't cover real world example. Any guidance?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/tset9
    [link] [comments]

    [Django] What's the most expected behaviour of showing home view?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 10:20 PM PDT

    I am creating a flashcard app with Django. and so far, I have got a User model and Cards model. Now I am trying to create a home view that incorporates a lot of things like the dashboard, cards, profile and etc ... I created the templates folder in the BASE_DIR and I am confused if I should create another app just for home. What's the normal behaviour when it comes to implementing a landing home page that might not belong to any other apps? Should I still create an app for this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/poream3387
    [link] [comments]

    Data Structures Zero to hero

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 12:53 PM PDT

    I have been working in the industry for a couple of years but have forgotten data structures and algorithms and I would like to start from scratch. I am giving my self a year's time to do so. What are some resources I can use to learn data structures from scratch. I would like to start from big O notations and work my way up. I have heard of the following resources:

    * Abdul Bari's YouTube Playlist

    * Programming interviews exposed

    * Cracking the coding interview

    * Elements of Programming interviews

    Here are the Data Structures I am looking to review

    * Array

    * ArrayList

    * LinkedList

    * Stacks

    * Queue

    * Tree

    * Heaps

    * Hashtable

    * Hashmap

    * Search/Sorting

    * Dynamic Programming

    * Graphs

    Is there anything else that I missed from the list above?

    submitted by /u/learningdsa
    [link] [comments]

    Callback Functions and Decorators Methods

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 05:41 PM PDT

    Good Evening everyone,

    I was just wondering how I can understand these methods/functions better I took an introductory course in C/C++ but never ended up realizing what these functions meant and wanted to get a better insight on them if there are any resources that are helpful would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/LadfromYYC12
    [link] [comments]

    relationship between laravel, monolithic and client server architecture

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 09:01 PM PDT

    monolithic, client server achitecture, and how laravel is related to them ?

    Im a bit confused about these concepts, I know that in a monolithic architecture one physical machine encompasses all three fundamental business application areas: presentation logic, business logic, and data logic. In a 2 tier client server architecture it divides the existing monolithic architecture by placing the server in a physical location separate from the client.

    My first question is: when Im using xamp to create my local web and database server, it means that Im creating a monolithic app ? because all elements are living in my own machine?
    Now my second question is how is monolithic architecture is related to client-server architecture ?

    A laravel app that I create using xampp could be a client server app ?
    If I deploy my laravel app in a server, and Im not using localhost anymore, what does it mean? now my laravel app is using a 2 tier client server architecture ? because clients can access to my app from all over the world ?
    If I deploy my laravel app in a server and my database reside in a different server? Would I be using a 3 tier client server architecture ?

    submitted by /u/Emiliortg
    [link] [comments]

    Why can Strings use .equals and == but ints can only use ==?

    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 08:58 PM PDT

    I'm aware that .equals and == give different answers (basically, are the two String variables the same object, or do they simply hold the same value?) but why don't we have the same functionality for ints? That is to say, why can't we write the following code to return False?

    int a = 2; int b = 2; System.out.println(b.equals(a)); 
    submitted by /u/rainjays
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment