• Breaking News

    Sunday, February 28, 2021

    Why does PHP get so much hate ? I feel like even inexperienced programmers hate on it just because it's become the norm. learn programming

    Why does PHP get so much hate ? I feel like even inexperienced programmers hate on it just because it's become the norm. learn programming


    Why does PHP get so much hate ? I feel like even inexperienced programmers hate on it just because it's become the norm.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 06:15 AM PST

    When I'd decided to focus on web dev last year, I was faced with a decision to make;
    which tech stack do I pick ?
    Having worked with PHP & MySQL in college, that was the obvious choice, right ?
    Well the Internet begs to differ.

    Having done my research, I decided to go with Node.js in the end. Not because of the hate on PHP (I wasn't aware of it yet), but simply because I would use JS for both ends, and because I thought that if I learned something more modern, I would have better job opportunities (pro tip: research your area first. As it turned out, Node is #3 in my area after PHP and C#).

    As time passed by, I found out that there's like a pact you have to agree on before you can call yourself a programmer. You have to hate on PHP. Why ? Beats me. You just have to bash it in every JSConf, if you make a tutorial, you have to mention PHP somehow and make fun of it. It's like a pirate code.
    If you go on YouTube and search for "top languages to learn in 2020/2021", you will find that the majority of the videos have someone joking about learning PHP. For some of them, you don't even have to open the darn video; the thumbnail already has a BIG RED cross on the PHP logo.

    All of that makes me really, really wonder; what's the story behind all of this ?
    Can someone who actually has PHP experience please enlighten me about the unforgivable sins that PHP committed in the past ?

     

    P.S: I'm aware of PHP: a fractal of bad design, but I honestly couldn't understand or appreciate the importance of most of the points mentioned.

    submitted by /u/-Kudo
    [link] [comments]

    C++ or C# to start off?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 07:48 PM PST

    Hello. I want to start dipping my feet in game development, and I've heard C# and C++ are the best two routes. As a beginner who has absolutely no programming knowledge, would it be better to learn C++ or C#. I know that C++ isn't beginner friendly, but I heard it's better for game dev. But I also heard C# is fantastic to learn general programming. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/icysoun0
    [link] [comments]

    How is Java intended to be deployed?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 05:45 PM PST

    Once a Java program is packaged as a Jar file, it can still only be run on a client machine if the client has Java installed. I don't think the intent was for every user of a Java application to have to download Java in order to use the application, yet the only workaround I have found thus far is to use a third party packager to bundle the Jar along with a pocket JRE into an EXE. I find it hard to believe that the Java programming language is dependent on third party software, so my question is: how are Java programs supposed to be deployed? What's the official step between creating a Jar file and deploying the finished application?

    submitted by /u/OliverHPerry
    [link] [comments]

    What's the #1 biggest problem, question or roadblock that is holding you back from a career in web development right now?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 04:10 PM PST

    Hey aspiring web developers of reddit!

    My question is directed towards those of you who are serious and 100% committed to landing a web dev career (within a year), but are really struggling to move forward right now.

    As someone who started on this journey over a decade ago (I'm an ex-software architect now mentor), I know first hand what this emotional roller-coaster feels like too. Looking back: because I didn't have anyone to guide me - I made so many wrong turns and mistakes, failed A LOT and can remember how desperate things seemed at my lowest points. Truth is I almost gave up - but it really didn't need to be that way.

    By asking this question, I'm hopeful that I can provide some insights, support and guidance to those who are lost, stuck or overwhelmed on their journey into a web development career. I'll do my best to arm you with information to help you feel confident (enough) to move forward.

    And for those who would like to chat directly: I've set up a get unstuck calendly link for this week only (have completely cleared my calendar) where you can schedule a time that works best for you.

    Look forward to helping out :)

    submitted by /u/bedrock-adam
    [link] [comments]

    Lost my motivation for programming but... (and some questions)

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 07:50 PM PST

    Hello all,

    I would like to share my experience with programming:

    When I was in high school I learned how to program in C language at basic level and I really love it. So I continue with college and my mayor degree was in mechatronics engineering. I'd learned how to program fpga, microcontrollers and other few languages. I'd pointed to get a job as Embedded Software Engineer due my experience on the mayor degree BUT I didn't get that dreamed job. Months later, I had gotten a job as electrical designer. It was good at that moment when I started to feel terrible and I'd lost my way.

    Two years ago, I'd learned how to program MACROS in Excel using VBA and I was very motivated but at the end was useless. I created some useful applications for my job with the hope to have a promotion and I keep losing my motivation to do something..

    In march 2020, an technology institute offered some courses for python 3 in Coursera. I finished those courses. Then, in september, they offered courses in Machine Learning and Deep Learning. I was doing some of them but I got COVID-19. I had some sequels that affected me and I could not continue with them. They expired on december last year.

    Some weeks ago, a friend of mine who is working as software engineer has sent me some positions in her company but the software ones requires like 5+ years of experience. That discouraged me, a lot. I feel like I spent 5 years working in vain. I can't see a light at the end because I don't have the experience and knowledge to do something new that I like/love.

    I really feel that my life has no sense and I'm wasting it.

    Now that I don't have access to my courseras' courses I was thinking to pay CodeAcademy Pro or other option. I have the Automate the Boring Stuff with Python course in Udemy and I used to reinforced what I learned on coursera but I think it is not good as the other courses well structured.

    What do you think? Any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/after909
    [link] [comments]

    Harvard CS50: Am I really bad at this or does it take this long to get? Beginner

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 07:46 AM PST

    I'm brand new to coding other than dabbling with Tumblr HTML when I was a teen. I'm taking the full accredited course with the extension school and we're in week 4, almost week 5, I'm really starting to struggle. A few times now I've had to submit incomplete code because I just couldn't for the life of me finish it before the deadline even though I was working on it for 10+ hours. I feel like I totally ace some psets and then bomb the others. For the first two or three weeks, I felt like I had a great grip on all of the concepts but now that we've built up to dealing with memory, files, etc. I feel like I don't get it at all.

    I'm wondering if anyone has tips for better study habits and how to make the concepts stick. Currently, I read through the notes once before watching the lecture like a movie, not taking my own notes the first time but just following along with the general synopsis that I got from reading their notes first. Sometimes I'll write down ideas or questions that I have.

    I then take all of the source code offered and either put it into my notes (I use Notion which is good for taking notes on code), my IDE, or both.

    I usually don't start coding the same day that I watch the lecture due to my schedule. I take the quiz the following day to recall the lecture again (rather than on the same day) and to use as an opportunity to review the notes.

    I then look at the prompt for the lab and at the very least make directories for the lab and all of the psets for that week, even if I'm not doing the most difficult one it can be good to look at. I do the lab after my seminar which is mid-week, and I meet with a study group the following day to go over the subjects that we've learned that week. We mostly talk through pieces of code, like the source code provided, verbally explain what's happening, and experiment with manipulating it - we obviously stay away from discussing the actual psets for academic honesty reasons.

    I'm finding it difficult to attend office hours due to my time-zone and schedule.

    I often wind up having to do the psets on saturday, sunday, or both, and they're taking me an increasingly longer period of time, like 10+ hours... which is nuts. I know that I should expect to spend 20 hours a week on this course but I'm starting to go way over.

    I was never that great at studying in school because I didn't know-how. When I did actually really try hard I would always ace tests but I would usually drop out of the habit pretty quickly. For higher education, I went to art school, which wasn't so much about academics per se but you'd be surprised that the education probably prepped me for this better than some others because art and design are so much about problem-solving, looking at things differently, so I have experience with learning lots of different and seemingly unrelated topics for different purposes.

    Right now, I feel like I'm probably not studying efficiently. I currently feel like I should get as much exposure to the information as possible until I absorb it but it's getting exhausting. What aspects of the course should I be paying the most attention to? For instance, and I know all of it is important but is the source code the most important thing to look at from each lecture? I find myself getting caught up in some of the micro details that aren't actually what you really need to be considering all the time to be able to code, making a simple concept seem way more complicated than it actually is. I appreciate learning how something works in order to be able to use it creatively, we did a lot of that in art school, learning all steps of the process through in the real world, you might only be responsible for oversight.

    Does everyone feel this confused at this point in the course? What can I do to really link up the knowledge that I've learned so far in order to utilize it correctly and effectively?

    Any tips would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Free_Pin
    [link] [comments]

    Very confused about what to do after the learning phase.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 11:15 PM PST

    I am a first year CS student and I really have been liking programming. I started with cs50 and moved onto C++ for which I finished Bjarne's book which was a really good introduction to programming.

    However I have no idea of what to do now. I see people with really cool projects they work on but I don't really have any idea of what I should be doing which already hasn't been done. Also C++ development is just very intimidating in general and the job market for it in my country is practically non-existent.

    I have thought about moving onto android dev but then again, I don't really have any ideas for what I should make. Is it a common thing? I do find programming very fun but I just can't think of how problems to apply my skills. I have also been really hesitant to learn something new because I am afraid I'll end up never using it.

    submitted by /u/csitthrowaway12
    [link] [comments]

    Id like to understand the super pro JAVA circlejerk. Can someone explain to me the merits some people keeping refering to?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 06:13 PM PST

    I have an older programmer friend who only talks about JAVA like the way some people talk about the BIG 4 tech or consulting firms.

    The way they talk about it you'd think its the programming language of the elites because it is used by major established companies for things that "truly" matter.

    Well ok i can believe that. But most programming languages can be used for things that are "important" and "matter". Just depends on the use case and the quality of the programmer id gather.

    That said im still hazy on the details of what my friend is trying to describe.

    Is there any truth to the sweeping notion that larger companies exclusively use JAVA for important applciations?

    trying to take the other guys view , Why is JAVA so uniquely awesome and better again?

    submitted by /u/DeepKaizen
    [link] [comments]

    Where to systematically learn to understand things like environment variables, paths etc.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 08:39 AM PST

    Basically I've just spent the last hour fixing a problem where I was installing packages with pip but some file was missing. Going through stack overflow answers and copying and pasting stuff into some sort of PATH and then deleting folders here and there, reinstalling stuff etc.

    The thing is, beyond the intuitive parts, I don't understand any of this stuff. If I google environment variable:

    Environment variables, as the name suggests, are variables in your system that describe your environment

    Like this is useless to me. What is an environment? Where can I find a course or guide that goes through this sort of thing in a very thorough and for beginners kind of a way. Is it an operating systems course? I checked but it seems to spend a lot of time talking about threads.

    I am actually a software developer already with a masters degree. This is a hole in my knowledge.

    submitted by /u/PlainclothesmanBaley
    [link] [comments]

    API Spec with OAuth 2

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 09:20 PM PST

    So i'm writing an API Spec, its meant to describe what my API will do. The security protocol used is OAuth2, with an Authorization Code flow/grant type. My question is should I be passing a token in the request body? I would think putting it in the header might make sense but I don't see documentation examples on how to do that.

    See code here

    submitted by /u/Ilikeschedules
    [link] [comments]

    Advice converting angular.js to angular 9

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 08:59 PM PST

    I've done front end work. Basic html, Javascript, css and slowly been learning angular.js. we've decided to transition to angular 9. Due to angular.js no longer getting support by June or so.

    How do I go about this? I've actually never done angular 9. As I started barely learning angular.js.

    One thing we decided to do was hire some extra hands of at least 2 people that have 10 years angular experience.

    Rewrite the written pages to angular 9?
    What things should I be on the lookout for? Do I break it up into components and go one page at a time?

    Had anyone ever had to do this and if so, how difficult was it and what are things that I need to be aware of?

    I think I have seen some angular.io resource to help out but not sure if it will be enough for me to fully learn and understand it.

    submitted by /u/FTPMystery
    [link] [comments]

    If you could rank programmer with 6 attributes, what would they be?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 07:20 AM PST

    In Fifa video game, each player has six basic attributes (like pace, shooting, dribbling, etc). Attributes are rated from 1 to 99. Players also have positional coefficients. Therefore, a centre-back with good finishing does not get an advantage over a more defensive-minded player who is better in that position. (In case of programming, algorithmic thinking is more important to competitive programmer than to a web developer)

    If you had to make similar ranking of a programmer, which attributes would you rate?

    Player rating example

    submitted by /u/ChibzZz42
    [link] [comments]

    UX designer learning programming, stuck on HTML/CSS/Javascript and how to solve my problem. Could be an innerHTML issue, or something I am overlooking.

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 05:49 PM PST

    I am trying to make a gender picker page based on the 'ridiculous inputs' trend, where the user selects a random colour, and the form assigns them a gender based on it. My color picker code is from Iro. I am trying to use javascript to change the items in the box. I have done some reading on InnerHTML as well but am not finding any way to sort this out. I have tried to add Javascript functions to it but that is also not leading me anywhere. I don't see any error messages on the Codepen system.

    This is the functionality I am hoping for, but also would be happy with any way of doing something similar.https://imgur.com/lTtDcOF

    My code is here: https://codepen.io/anomle/pen/YzpaVzM

    If anyone has any advice or tips on how to solve this I would really appreciate it!

    submitted by /u/nerrdbaabe
    [link] [comments]

    What's your procedure at work?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 11:28 PM PST

    The goal of my post is to understand how much standardized these procedure are for all coders ou there so please answer in this order:

    1. what programming language do you use?
    2. what are you mainly coding at work? (webapp, desktop app and so on)
    3. what's your standard procedure to ship your code?
    4. are you using github for your main repo or are you using a paid service/internal server to manage version control?
    submitted by /u/TheUruz
    [link] [comments]

    Simple question using Linux test command

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:59 PM PST

    I am doing my homework:

    Question 2 had me make a variable called mem_size and I answered that

    Answer: mem_size=1024.

    Question 3 Asks me to set my shell to the Bash shell and use echo to verify my contents of the shell variable and then asks what is contained in the shell variable

    Answer: bash ; echo $mem_size

    Question 4 Is my problem question and asks me to "use the test command to evaluate whether the shell variable contains a reference to the Bash shell and use the echo command to determine the result(Note that this provides one way to verify from within a script that the script user is set up to use the Bash shell)"... I am having trouble understanding what a reference to the Bash shell looks like in a comparative setting.

    I know this should be a simple question because it is question 4 and it gets harder as I progress

    submitted by /u/Peterskin
    [link] [comments]

    Pseudocode help

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:48 PM PST

    I'm taking a programming and logic class and it's all focused on Pseudocode. As someone who's not a CS major and I've never taken a programming class before this I'm struggling in the class is an understatement ....there's days I'm like oh I get it, then I get my grade back on an assignment and I was like okay clearly I didn't get it....so anyways, I was wondering if someone would be willing to help me or look over my assignment???

    submitted by /u/Zestyclose-Flan-5329
    [link] [comments]

    What is the purpose of data encapsulaton in Java?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:40 PM PST

    Hi, recently came from an interview and I got asked what data encapsulation is for. Come to think of it, I have no idea why people would want to put variables or methods to private or limit it to only that class it's from instead of making it public. Just a fairly basic question as to why would I want to use this feature of Java in my program.. almost all variables and methods I create are accessible through public or is set to public.

    submitted by /u/hoy83
    [link] [comments]

    How do you store your reusable code fragments that you wrote - in one big file, just as text, or as separate files per each fragment or group of fragments that can be executed or compiled, or somehow else?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 04:34 PM PST

    Just trying to see what is the most efficient way to keep and access the code that I can reuse.

    submitted by /u/richgate
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a difference between unit testing and writing test cases?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:10 PM PST

    I keep on hearing about how important unit testing is, but to me it just sounds like writing a bunch of test cases for your code. Why is it considered hard?

    submitted by /u/boxyboxers23
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help in pseudo

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 04:11 PM PST

    I need help with pseudo code, I'm not asking for answers but rather how do I approach the pseudo code problem that goes

    start

    declarations

    num a = 7

    num d = 7

    num f = 7

    num g = 7

    while f < g

    a = a + 1

    f = f + 1

    endwhile

    output a , d , f , g

    stop

    The goal of this is to write down whenever a variable changes and each time an output statement executes as well.

    I'm very lost as I'm new to Psuedocode and my teacher is very vague with his teachings so Im very lost. I know that I have to do a = a + 1 and f = f + 1 until I get f < g but I don't understand how I get G being greater than f

    submitted by /u/Moneyboi9
    [link] [comments]

    Question

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:07 PM PST

    I'm extremely new to coding. Never touched it my life. The only thing I'm aiming to do is use webscraping via a Google spreadsheet to track prices of some things. If anyone can pm with help it would be GREATLY appreciated

    submitted by /u/MagusOfHellfire
    [link] [comments]

    How do microservices communicate through Kafka?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 10:01 PM PST

    So, how does it work exactly?

    For instance if I have some REST API CRUD and it inserts data do I just create a topic, hook my API to it and tell it to send notifications of everything it does?

    What if there's another service in my platform that wants to call the REST API? Do I create a topic specifically to produce requests which my API will be listening in to pick up and do something?

    I'm just not sure how this works out or how exactly Kafka is used to communicate between services.

    submitted by /u/Tarsonis899
    [link] [comments]

    It only works for most...

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 02:25 PM PST

    Given a non-negative number "num", return True if num is within 2 of a multiple of 10. Note: (a % b) is the remainder of dividing a by b, so (7 % 5) is 2.

    near_ten(12) → True
    near_ten(17) → False
    near_ten(19) → True

    So I wrote:

    def near_ten(num): if (num % 10 <= 2): return True else: return False 

    The problem is if given 158 it thinks remainder is 8 but should be 2.

    submitted by /u/gtrman571
    [link] [comments]

    How to Learn to Code

    Posted: 28 Feb 2021 09:54 PM PST

    The first and foremost step is to choose the language to learn. It is recommended to start with Python as it is simple like English. But you may choose the language that interests you and also based on the project that you would like to develop in the future. So if you plan to develop a mobile app you may want to begin with Java or Kotlin for Android and Swift for iOS, and if you want to build a website Javascript is suggested, to begin with. For a profession in data science, AI & ML, Python & R are the languages to study.

    You may want to learn the languages in one of the following two ways:

    • Through Interactive Websites
    • Through Video Tutorials
    submitted by /u/WiseHovercraft9
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment