• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 6, 2021

    Screenshot Saturday #523 - Illustrious Design

    Screenshot Saturday #523 - Illustrious Design


    Screenshot Saturday #523 - Illustrious Design

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 11:43 PM PST

    Share your progress since last time in a form of screenshots, animations and videos. Tell us all about your project and make us interested!

    The hashtag for Twitter is of course #screenshotsaturday.

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.


    Previous Screenshot Saturdays


    Bonus question: Is there a genre of video games you never really got into?

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Fantasy PBR Stylised Grass, rocks & flowers (Substance Designer)

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 03:29 AM PST

    Spend only 1 minute a day and improve your game development skills

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 06:33 AM PST

    I have started a YouTube channel Unity in 1 minute - YouTube where I upload videos everyday and I explain new concepts of unity in the most concise way possible.

    I am exact on point when explaining something and will make sure that your time is not wasted.

    If you are new on unity, you will learn something new in just one min, and if you are experienced with unity and you watch my videos, it can act as a refresher for you and you don't lose any time since it is only one minute :)

    There are many tutorials on You tube but most of them are very long and it takes a lot of time to understand something new. When I was learning Unity, it was very difficult for me to find to the point tutorials. Most of them were so long and it used to waste lot of my time. For this reason, I have started this channel so it can help everyone without wasting their time. Hope it will help everyone :)

    Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/Demon966
    [link] [comments]

    How to easily morph between any 2D shapes using distance fields, including a sample UE4 project

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 07:59 AM PST

    Is my CV any good? can you take a look?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 08:13 AM PST

    Hi,

    GameplayProgrammer

    Can you take a moment and take a look at my CV? am I even worthy of being interviewed ?(I'm talking about my skills)

    I have sent my CV to at least 17 studios in my country only one of them called , we had interview he said you might be good for a trainee !

    also I have sent my CV to many studios around world none of them answered !

    Thanks.

    P.S : I have applied for junior Gameplay programmer

    submitted by /u/Raminlich
    [link] [comments]

    Uploading your Unity game to Steam: step by step tutorial

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 02:15 PM PST

    Should I finish my game if it doesn't please me anymore?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 11:18 AM PST

    I have been working on a game as a hobby for the past few months, it is currently at a playable state, I even released a beta for it, but it's quite far from what I originally envisioned.

    It was the first time I managed to release a game I made and it felt very satisfying, however now I don't enjoy working on it as much as i did a few months back, I even started to come up with ideas for other projects.

    Now I don't know if I should keep working on it or switch over to something else. Would it be a failure if I abandon the project? Maybe I could just add a few finishing touches and call it finished, without adding all the features I initially wanted. Can someone give me any advice?

    submitted by /u/HexagonNico_
    [link] [comments]

    Diablo Style Wall Fade Feature for Top-Down Games in UE4

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:58 AM PST

    Kickstarter of my game funded in under 3 hours - I answer your questions!

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 10:59 AM PST

    Currently the Kickstarter campaign for my game Ova Magica is running. It is more succesful than i expected and was funded in under 3 hours.

    Click here so see the campaign

    Since it's quieter in the middle of the campaign and I've gotten a lot of questions from other developers, I thought I'd make this post. Many are also planning a crowdfunding campaign or wondering why their campaign is not successful.

    So if you have any questions regarding Kickstarter or crowdfunding games, here is your chance:)! I try to take a little time every day to answer all.

    (I am not native English so forgive me my mistakes)

    submitted by /u/ClaudiaTheDev
    [link] [comments]

    How can I include a very small portion of performance critical code into a modern game creator (Godot, Unity, etc...)?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:17 AM PST

    I am making a poker-like game with some heavy calculations that only consist of about 200 lines of code. They run "between turns" in a sense, and so there isn't really any rendering or user input that needs to go on during the calculations themselves. I have implemented my game in SDL 2 with performance in mind, but since my game only requires this very small portion of performance critical code, I think it would be easiest to expand and polish the game while working with Godot or Unity.

    The critical code segment is just a function that takes a float and returns an array of floats. During my tests on modest hardware, the function has been roughly 100x faster in C than a Python version I cooked up, and I can't imagine GDscript would do any better than Python. Would GDnative be overkill for my purpose? Am I underestimating the performance I might be able to get out of GDscript?

    submitted by /u/Ayer99
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.9 Sculpting Features Jmeshtools

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 06:53 AM PST

    Background Art Help

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 11:49 AM PST

    Hey there, I'm new to Game Development so if this is a stupid question I'm sorry. I'm wondering if you have to use tiles in order to make the stage of a game. I'm trying to make a game like Scott Pilgrim vs the World, and the background in that game look like they were created without tiles. Is there a way to make a level in another program like Asesprite, port it to your game engine (I'm using Godot) and then add collision to certain parts of the level? I know that would be weird since the background would be imported as a png, but if anyone can give me some help I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/The_Flipside_02
    [link] [comments]

    How to make a Rigidbody FPS controller in Unity3D

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 04:00 AM PST

    I keep restarting my project over and over again because I don't how I feel about it.

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 11:32 AM PST

    I don't know why, but each time I try to get work done I get to a very specific point, and then I instantly start it over because don't like how my game is structured or how things are handled. Is this something that most game devs struggle with, or am I just very naive?

    submitted by /u/SteveBuscemi-inSPACE
    [link] [comments]

    Qualifications

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 03:41 AM PST

    Hi! I'm a student looking to go into game dev and I'm almost off to uni so I wanted to ask if employers and stuff really care about where your degree comes from? I know degrees really aren't necessary, but I want to go for computer science kinda as a backup. My choices are between Newcastle uni for computer science and game engineering and Cambridge for computer science. I'd love any advice, thanks!!

    submitted by /u/Keevun_
    [link] [comments]

    Is this site legit?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 10:38 AM PST

    I found this site https://gameassetsfree.com/ that distributes assets and it has one that I want to try (free for non commercial projects) but when I try to download it, it links me to here: https://t.me/game_assets_club

    It seems like I have to download a weird messaging app to use the site? Is the site even legit?

    submitted by /u/losdreamer50
    [link] [comments]

    5 Steps to Creating The Detective’s Bookshelf Concept Art

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 10:18 AM PST

    How much would this be?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:59 AM PST

    I'm having someone I know port Samantha Maxis from Black Ops Cold War. If I supplied a textured head mesh to work with, I was wondering how much it would be to re-create her hair as it is seen in-game here.

    I'm aware hair cards would be expensive, so I'm just curious about a ballpark figure so I can decide if this is something I want to pursue. To clarify, this project would just be the re-creation of the hair mesh as closely to the supplied pictures as possible and then texturing it.

    https://twitter.com/GregFPS/status/1321186623443402760

    submitted by /u/Teflon5
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to include the flipped versions of your 2D pixel sprites in the texture atlas, or to flip them in-engine?

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 06:02 AM PST

    Simple question but I couldn't find a clear answer through googling.

    Let's you have a spritesheet with a character with various animations (attacking, idling, moving, etc.)

    Is it better to include the various orientations on the spritesheet itself, or perform the flipping logic in-game?

    Here are some various points to consider:

    Some sprites (like some flying units) don't have a "facing up" or "facing down" orientation. So in this case you only hypothetically need 1 of the 4 orientations, as the rest can be inferred.

    Other sprites can use a flipped version for their left and right orientations, but need separate sprites for their up and down orientations. For example, this polar bear

    If you have tons of characters for your game, it may bloat loading times and memory usage significantly if you have to have every orientation in your sprite sheet. The engine rendering logic may be simpler and faster though as you avoid making matrix transformations in the hot loop.

    On the other hand, if your spritesheets don't include the flipped variants they will likely be simpler and quicker to prepare, and you could potentially include some code in your engine to specify the orientation of the sprite sheet, and have it automatically determine the rest.

    I was thinking it may be best to just include all the orientations, but then tilesets came to mind as well. Some of these files can be huge, and including every orientation for every tile would quadruple the file sizes of these tilesets.

    I'm really just not sure what to do here. I think I want to pick one and stick to it, but I'm not sure which option is least awful.

    submitted by /u/redditaccount624
    [link] [comments]

    I rarely see project-scoping covered despite it's crazy importance in gamedev, so here are my thoughts on managing it effectively

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 12:41 PM PST

    GoNorth, my rpg planning tool, now supports a state machine designer

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 05:23 PM PST

    Unity 2D build .EXE not working propertly

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:19 AM PST

    Hello there, im having some issues with unity after building the games, i tried .exe and .apk, both share the same problems, and i have tried with different games and all end up failing, so the problem is that my games would work on unity engine, but once I build them stuff would start working wrong, duplications on wrong positions, mechanics non existing, and for example one of the games have two different lvls, and you can choose btw pjs on the menu, in unity that pj is a copy paste, but once i run it 1 lvl would work and the other wont...

    I have checked online several times, youtube forums... cant find any help, some talk about "Player-prev.log" some others about deleting stuff from the folders of the game... but none helps me, im sorry to bother but i would really appreciate any help

    submitted by /u/ezequielidus
    [link] [comments]

    Texture Scaling UE4

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:05 AM PST

    I am trying to scale textures over a large area so they don't look all stretched. I have watched some youtube videos, however, I am using a marketplace texture that has no free UVs so I was wondering how I scale this?

    submitted by /u/Mushieus
    [link] [comments]

    Change levels in Unity3D

    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 09:04 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment