• Breaking News

    Monday, August 17, 2020

    What Course/Bootcamp can I take that would make me hirable in 1 year? learn programming

    What Course/Bootcamp can I take that would make me hirable in 1 year? learn programming


    What Course/Bootcamp can I take that would make me hirable in 1 year?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:06 AM PDT

    I'm currently a rising senior at Yale University majoring in Astronomy.

    During my time here I realized (perhaps a bit too late) that astronomy isn't really my passion but coding is. I already had some basic coding knowledge from astronomy and this summer I took a shortened version of Flatiron's bootcamp that taught me full-stack web dev with a Ruby on Rails backend and a JavaScript frontend (as well as HTML, CSS, and Github). I absolutely loved it and the program allowed me to build up a portfolio of apps including a facebook/reddit-like social media and a web game. I want to keep learning as much as possible on my own this year to hopefully find a job as a dev by the time I graduate next summer.

    I don't have a lot of disposable income to spare, but if there are any programs that would increase my chances of getting hired I'd be willing to spend up to $1500 total in self-education this school year. I could also take some of the courses Yale's CS department offers but in my opinion they're way too theoretical and don't really teach many hire-able skills right off the bat from what I've gathered.

    I know that this won't be an easy path but if anyone knows any good part-time program(s)/bootcamp(s)/course(s) I could take this year that won't cost more than $1500 and will increase my chances of getting a dev job, I'd really appreciate it.

    Any additional tips/advice on how to get a dev job without a CS degree would also be super useful!

    Edit: I do have about $8k saved for life after graduation, but if there's any certain valuable bootcamp/program that would guarantee me a job or a refund I'd consider spending my savings on it.

    submitted by /u/JC3DS
    [link] [comments]

    People tell me to do projects to get out of tutorial hell. I can’t even build a calculator with JavaScript. What can I do?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    I understand basic js functions, loops, data types etc. and visually I can create a calculator using HTML and css.

    I tried JS30 and couldn't even do the first project on my own.

    What can I actually do to start getting better other then repeating the same tutorials over and over again in a vacuum?

    People say choose a project and do it but when I pick one it ends up being copy and paste because I have no idea what certain things do.

    submitted by /u/MrM3n
    [link] [comments]

    I started C# , kind of forgot the python syntax.

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 05:31 AM PDT

    Does this happen with everyone? Or am I just very dumb?

    submitted by /u/wonderwomam1
    [link] [comments]

    Help choosing what language to learn

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:39 PM PDT

    Help choosing what language to learn

    I have a project in mind that requires me to write a script that draws data from a website(skin exchange website)and app(steam) and compares the two. Having no prior experience (except for absolute basic swift) with coding what language would be able to facilitate this?

    submitted by /u/1100320873
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I learn Data structure and algorithm using c++ programming language?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:37 PM PDT

    I have learnt the basic programming language c++. Right now looking into learning data structure and algorithm but I'm unable pick the right resources.

    Should I learn it from book or online courses?

    Please, recommend me any good resources to learn data structure and algorithm.

    submitted by /u/nk_triprasa
    [link] [comments]

    Is database development first diying?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    My teachers are old school programmers, and even when I'm satisfied with what I've learn from them, I see a lot of things that are not as they teached me, being one of those delegating most of the bussiness logic to the database.

    Today I've barely seen courses or practices where they encorage you to using dbs for anything else than writing and reading data. C# developement is one of the few cases where they advise you to use e.g. stored procedures to insert data, creating views for formatting data, etc.

    One example where I need stored procedures no more is because "you run the risk of sql injection". Most of the times you can use methods that allow you to escape commands. Doctrine and Eloquent for php and as long as I remember, Entity Framework for C# have this ability.

    Btw: I can't imagine me designing the bussiness logic before the database schema even when I don't usually relly on the funcionalities of the db to drive an application. Last time I didn't build the db first it was a pain in the ass.

    submitted by /u/princealiabawa
    [link] [comments]

    Newish Programmer, seeking advice

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    Hello! I am a young fella that wants to have a career in coding/programming. I a decent amount of experience in java, html5, and css. I am learning java slowly through this summer, but i just keep thinking and I honestly don't know what to start with. I want to be able to just stick to one language and get really experienced in it to have a good career and to do some personal projects. What do any of you suggest to being a really fun language to learn? Video games and game designing would be really cool except don't know where to start.

    submitted by /u/AtomicGoblin402
    [link] [comments]

    Want to stay motivated? Don't tell anyone

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I've encountered a strange phenomenon when trying to work on projects; if I tell someone about it, my interest in the topic dissolves a little.

    I think when I tell people about them, their knowledge creates a sense of accomplishment within me comparable to actually completing the project. Thus, I feel I do a bit better if I don't tell them right away, instead telling myself that I'll mention it when I'm done. That gives me a good motivation to keep going.

    submitted by /u/eatmorepies23
    [link] [comments]

    Leetcode for algorithm learning?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 07:35 PM PDT

    I have about 2 years xp in the field as a developer.

    I am interested in learning algorithms more in depth and learning how to incorporate them into my own projects for better performance and to over all improve my skills as a programmer.

    I have read "the algorithm design manual" but I want to now apply this learning in code to better understand.

    What is the best way to do this? Leetcode? Competitive programming? Just incorporating it into my projects for performance?

    I know most languages and libraries do these things behind the scenes now, but I believe having more in depth and applicable knowledge of algorithms and data structures will over all help me become more efficient.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JavaWookie678
    [link] [comments]

    Best courses to learn data structures and algorithms?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:36 PM PDT

    I know there are many courses that teach data structures and algorithms for free. However, a lot of the courses are very long and I only have one month to learn intensively before school starts again. I want to start preparing now because the hiring season is right around the corner. I just want a course that is straightforward and provides some exercises to do and isn't super long. I've taken a look at Coursera, Edx and Udemy but just can't seem to makeup my mind. Any suggestions? For some context, I've taken intro to java programming class and am taking another class right now but, haven't learnt much from the second ' intermediate programming' class because it's very similar to the first one except it's in C#.

    submitted by /u/tipsterzzz
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to learn about git and github?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    I want to know why it's important, what it is and how to use it. I'm a beginner and I've taken a bunch of online courses in the last few months which have been very good and informative. But, none of them have explained what's going on in this git world.

    submitted by /u/maxwelder
    [link] [comments]

    Where to go next?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 12:09 AM PDT

    About 2 months ago, I decided to study computer programming. I have studied C++ by watching youtube tutorials and using this website right here http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/. I also know a bit of python. Until now, all of my projects have only used the command-line interface. I want my knowledge of programming to grow. I want to get better at programming. So, where do I go next?

    submitted by /u/Dezeive
    [link] [comments]

    How do I install this in the chrome is beta Linux Debian 10 buster container

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:52 PM PDT

    I was going to download vs code in the terminal when installing Linux along with python but what is the code to enter in?

    Is it $ sudo apt-get VSCode

    And what code should I put for python

    And also yes I am installing this on chromebook

    submitted by /u/aN4-r3W
    [link] [comments]

    someone know How to print .bmp photo file in bitmap display of MARS software (assembly language)

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    I need print a pic .bmp format, whit the bitmap display of mars software the pic have 512x512

    some one can help me

    submitted by /u/jomd17
    [link] [comments]

    I sometimes I don't run my code cause I don't want to see the compilation errors... What can I do?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    I know that its good to discover the compilation errors, but I just get a little anxiety before I press the run button. Does anyone else have this issue?

    submitted by /u/PoisnFang
    [link] [comments]

    What should I do?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    Started learning Python and I'm not sure what I should do after tutorial (watching moshs tutorial), should I start learning with documentation or what?

    submitted by /u/Venomiks338
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any road map that I can follow to learn Csharp?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    I'm currently reading yellow book and thats about what im doing rn and i dont know what to do, i heard building while learning is great but what projects are there that only needs me to have visual studio cause my pc cant handle it if i download more applications

    submitted by /u/csplndl
    [link] [comments]

    How to add every second number in a list?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    big= [31,1,43,5,4] 

    I want a while loop that adds every second number in a list. so for big, the function would return 6. I've spent SO FUCKING LONG trying to work it out. am i missing something. i can't seem to find anywhere to grab, so i just don't know what to do.

    Also, any tips for what i should do when i can't work out anything to produce a certain code?

    submitted by /u/walkinguptoheaven
    [link] [comments]

    Getting extremely discouraged trying to learn loops that have arrays as arguments and need help or an ELI5

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 10:42 PM PDT

    Sorry. I am using javascript. Forgot to add that.

    Or maybe a better way of describing it would be: functions with loops, that have arrays as arguments.

    Im going crazy here ive spent probably 40 hours on this specific subject. I learn loops and i understood them good. I learn arrays and understood it pretty well. I learned functions and i understood it pretty well.

    But the second i see a question that is something like

    Function sumArray() - "create a function that multiples the elements of an array. I.e. sumArray ([1,2,3,4,5] ) // 120. Now write the function"

    I just cannot understand it. I tried to write this function for 2 or 3 days. Ive spent like 8 hours a day. I just cannot seem to get it to w9rk no matter what. I cannot for the life of me figure put what the equation/algorithm is i am racking my brain and getting nowhere. It got me so confused that now i am having a hard time doing function that DONT have arrays which i was doing just fine before. Its literally making me so confused that i am forgetting how to do things i could do before. I just need some help here and i honestly am not even sure where to start asking for help or where im aconfused cause its almost like its just all of it. Its like for every loop question i answer correct the next 3 i have absolutely no clue how to do it and ugghhh it is just driving me insane 😭😭 i need someones help, im thinking of hiring a tutor to get me through this section because i feel hopeless right now. I was feeling confident befor but now i feel like i cant do it. I have never had this much trouble with math in my life.

    TL;DR the title. Anytime i see a function using an array as the argument i dont understand how it works. Even if its written and finished and has a console.log and everything for me already i just dont understand HOW it got to the answer half the time and trying to figure it out and write the code on my own is %100 of the time idk how.

    Sorry i know this will be hard to answer i just something ugh. Thanks for helping/trying, if you do.

    submitted by /u/gamerroids
    [link] [comments]

    Dependency injection v. static classes: What's the benefit of DI?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    I'm working on a personal project of building a website with MVC. My initial approach to backend code included static manager classes in its own Managers library that would handle operations for various classes (mostly CRUD operations to a database). Any controller code that would need to use this functionality would just reference the static class(es) it needed. Easy.

    public static class DownloadManager { public static Download Get(decimal guid) { ... } public static FileResult DownloadFile(decimal guid) { ... } public static void Delete(decimal guid) { ... } } ... public class MyController { public MyController() { } public void DeleteDownload(decimal guid) { DownloadManager.Delete(guid); } } 

    But, a similar project I'm a part of at my job, uses dependency injection instead with service and repository interfaces and classes in separate Service and Repository libraries. I'm currently re-writing my code to mimic their approach, just because I figure, "Hey, they're using this approach instead, so it must be better," which I understand may not necessarily be true. So now, any controller code that would need to use this functionality would have to include the Service in its constructor and then call the action it needs. Here's a translation of the same code above, but using DI. As you can see, it's much larger:

    public interface IDownloadService { Download Get(decimal guid); FileResult DownloadFile(decimal guid); void Delete(decimal guid); } public class DownloadService : IDownloadService { // Reference to external download repository code private readonly IDownloadRepository DownloadRepository; public DownloadService(IDownloadRepository downloadRepository) { DownloadRepository = downloadRepository; } public Download Get(decimal guid) { ... } public FileResult DownloadFile(decimal guid) { ... } public void Delete(decimal guid) { ... } } ... public class MyController { private readonly IDownloadService DownloadService; public MyController (IDownloadService downloadService) { DownloadService = downloadService; } public void DeleteDownload(decimal guid) { DownloadSerivce.Delete(guid); } } 

    My issue is that I'm not seeing the benefit of using DI over my initial static manager approach. What potentially useful feature(s) or characteristic(s) of DI would I be losing by using my initial approach instead?

    submitted by /u/joshmo62
    [link] [comments]

    Difficulty in learning algorithms & data structures

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    My third semester is hopefully starting in October, and I will have a subject "Data Structures and Algorithms", so I decided to start learning some algorithms & data structures in advance. I started with the book "Grokking Algorithms", finished it a few days ago. I was trying to understand the way that algorithms given in the book work, so not just "trying to finish the book asap". And the book wasn't too hard to understand, the hardest part for me to understand and implement was the "Dynamic Programming" part. Today I decided to start practicing at Techie Delight, I looked at some array and "Divide & Conquer" problems, and it was quite challenging to understand the solution of the problems. I am a little worried about it, I was wondering if it's a normal thing to have such difficulties at studying this topic(Algorithms) or not, and also are there some other resources(books, websites, courses) you could recommend to use?

    I heard that a lot of people talking about leetcode here I don't know if I should give it a try or continue with the Techie Delight.

    Thanks in advance to everyone for reading and replies :)

    submitted by /u/olimpiabaku
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for downloading a file automatically from a webpage every day?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    I have a python script that downloads a file from a website every day using selenium. It logs in, creates a browser, navigates the links and finally clicks the button, and directs the download to a folder.

    The problem is, the css selectors seem to change now and the site has little updates that make the script... unreliable.

    What I want to do is find the javascript that is executed with whatever parameters exist when the download button is clicked and just execute that directly. However, finding the function is not straightfoward.

    There is no link for the button or the report itself, its just a link to the page and then javascript does the actual fetch when the button is clicked. I set an Event breakpoint on the mouse click and clicked the button to step through what was happening, hoping that it would just point me to like func download_report(args), and I could just call that but I can't find anything like it. I believe the site is made with react-js.

    Instead there are like 90 steps that I went through. All of the js is in these minified files that have all variable names with a single letter. And at the end, stepping through the calls just goes back and forth from function to function.

    Has anyone every automated the task of downloading a report from a website? What did you do to make it reliable? How did you find the javascript function that was being executed? Is there an easier way?

    submitted by /u/third_dude
    [link] [comments]

    Learning to code for kids

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Long story short. I think my brother (11 yrs) should start to code. Info n stuff on web are overwhelming on net. So I'm asking for help here. Would freecodecamp would be great place to start for him? Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/ExtensionField8
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment