• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 11, 2020

    The more I learn the less I know learn programming

    The more I learn the less I know learn programming


    The more I learn the less I know

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 07:23 AM PDT

    I just realized that there's so much I don't even know exists. The more I learn about a certain topic, the more things I know I haven't learned yet. It's discouraging and encouraging at the same time because I feel like I know so little but I was enjoy the fact that there's more to know. Does anyone else feel the same way?

    submitted by /u/Hello-Coder555
    [link] [comments]

    How to Learn Programming: A Roadmap for Becoming a Software Engineer

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:24 AM PDT

    I started noticing a theme while helping folks here. A lot of people are trying to figure out how to get started with learning how to program and what a typical learning path should be. Some wonder if they are on the right track.

    When I have googled for a roadmap for becoming a software engineer, I get some results that talk about a path that is similar to a college program. But I have found that college programs are unhelpful if your goal is to learn effectively.

    So I have put together a guide and roadmap with my recommendations on how to become a software engineer. This is similar to a path that I have taken myself.

    If you have recently started out or feel like you are stuck and not making progress, I think you will find this post helpful:

    How to Learn Programming: A Roadmap for Becoming a Software Engineer

    (Btw here's the original question on reddit that inspired this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/SoftwareEngineering/comments/i64hwp/where_to_start/g0tl0l2/)

    submitted by /u/luthfurc
    [link] [comments]

    Programmers that have actual programming jobs...

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:34 AM PDT

    I have SO many questions regarding what it's like to be and work as a programmer that I've created this short set of questions that my brain spontaneously created 20 seconds ago because I'm so curious and oblivious of the programming world all at the same time. You would probably help myself and other people trying to learn and get into the world of programming by getting a more of a social insight of what it's like to be a programmer that has actually succeeded in employment. I know some of these questions have potentially really LONG answers, but feel free to keep it short if you don't feel like writing a paragraph! Also, feel free to skip one if you don't feel like answering it!

    What was your first language and why did you choose that language?
    Recommendations for beginning languages?
    What learning resources do you feel teach people the best?

    Is being a programmer boring?
    What OTHER positions in the business do you interact with to make work successful (what's your professional network look like?
    What are the languages do you use in your company and why those specific languages?

    How did you get where you are?
    Did you just apply at a job via online? or did you know someone?
    College degree or no college degree?
    Does it matter?
    Was all that work to learn programming worth it in the end?
    Do you feel like you have job security and growth potential?

    Also.... let's be humane...
    Are you okay?
    How stressed to feel inside and outside of work days?
    Do you think about work... when you're not at work?
    How often do you go on Reddit at work?
    Do you HAVE to think about work... when you're not at work?

    Lastly, what advice can you give to new programmers or people looking to start programming so that they may someday hopefully have a successful programming career?

    submitted by /u/dudiez
    [link] [comments]

    Would anybody here like to learn iOS development from scratch with a buddy?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 05:49 PM PDT

    How this works:

    You and me hop on a discord call. We share screens and we follow a udemy course together step-by-step from the beginning. If you ever get stuck or have questions, I will help you out. We will learn this shit together.

    Requirements

    Just don't be a total n00b to programming, thats it.

    If you are interested, please pm me your discord and a brief intro. LETS MAKE THIS HAPPEN

    submitted by /u/snaill_male
    [link] [comments]

    Frustrated with online courses search - so built Yelp for Online Courses

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Hello fellow learners,

    I got super frustrated by the lack of a central place to search for the best online courses from all learning platforms on the web.

    I'm sure you may have felt the same frustration too now that there are so many courses online.

    Hoping to solve that frustration myself, I created https://coursesity.com - A simple site where users can compare and review their best online courses for any topic/subject.

    Think Yelp or Product for Online Courses.

    I'd love to hear what you guys think! It'd be great if you share your recommended courses and honest reviews of those courses. Let me know!

    submitted by /u/quick_code
    [link] [comments]

    I’m confused about learning a programming language

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    So I've been checking out some books on C (Head First C, C programming: a modern approach, etc) and they're telling me that I need programming knowledge before I read their books. I thought these were beginners books. When I read Head First programming, the book is teaching me python. I really want to learn C as my first language not another language. Ive heard around here that Im suppose to learn a language I am going to use and spend time with for a long time and I want to do something that requires C. I want to spend time with C.

    I saw a stack overflow thread that has a list of books for c++. It has one for beginners with no programming experience, but when I looked at the C recommendations, there isn't one. I'm pretty sure the OP in that C thread disavowed that thread.

    Does it matter if don't have programming experience to read these C books or if it does, can you recommend me a C book that doesn't require previous programming knowledge? Please.

    submitted by /u/9YearOldPhilosopher
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone who could enroll in Master of computer science program from Georgia Institute of Technology with an online CS degree and some work experience? Tell me about your story!

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 09:44 PM PDT

    Anyone who could enroll in a Master of computer science program from Georgia Institute of Technology with an online CS degree and some work experience? Tell me about your story!

    submitted by /u/utooooooooo
    [link] [comments]

    What should I combine with my comp sci degree?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    Hi y'all I'm a computing science student in her second year of university struggling to learn to be a programmer and was wondering what I would need exactly to be competitive in the job field since I can literally combine comp sci with anything. I was thinking on combining math with comp sci since I liked math courses before and I enjoyed taking them but I also heard that statistics might be a better choice than math. I'm interested in AI and machine learning but not limited to it and I want to hear your opinion on which would give me broader range of options to choose from the job field in the future (since I'm not too sure of what I want to do eventually and also don't wanna limit my choices) and which one would make me more competitive than others career-wise. Thought you guys would have much more insight than just a college students so I'd love to hear what's your thought! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/notnerdyenoughhh
    [link] [comments]

    Most efficient design schema for Online Game?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:37 PM PDT

    (repost from the mysql reddit)

    Hey all, as aforementioned, I'm new to SQL but can generally pick up things pretty quickly. I've outlined a few prototypes for a server, but I'm not sure what the most effective and efficient one is.
    I have an online card game, and I would like to track the player's stats (wins/losses, rank, etc), the player's status (ingame, banned, off-line, etc) and I was stuck between a relationship based design with tables for each category
    i.e: user (id, name, pw, email) and this links with the stats table to send back to client
    or a plain table for all of the data.
    Any advice or opinions?

    submitted by /u/karukukimoto
    [link] [comments]

    Benefit of combining loops, if any?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    Hello! I was wondering if there are any time/space benefits to combining for loops (in Python, if it matters)? I am especially curious about these two situations I see often, but I'd like to learn whatever I can.

    1. Finding min() and max() of the same list. I believe min() and max() are written in C so it is preferable to use them rather than writing my own for loop, but I'm wondering if it becomes better to find both in a single for loop that I write myself (rather than running both separately)? For example:

    my_list = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] min_my_list = min(list) max_my_list = max(list) 

    versus

    my_list = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] min_my_list, max_my_list = my_list[0], my_list[0] for val in my_list: if val > max_my_list: max_my_list = val elif val < min_my_list: min_my_list = val 

    1. Reading in a list of integers that I iterate over later. In this case, is it better to cast each entry to int as I read it in or when use it later? For example:

      my_list = [int(x) for x in input().split()] total = 0 for val in my_list: total += val

    versus

    my_list = input().split() total = 0 for val in my_list: total += int(val) 

    Oh, this reminds me of another question: is split() the best way to take this sort of input? I find myself doing it a lot so I'd like to learn the best practice.

    I'm an undergraduate student learning to program to support my (biomedical) research, so I confess my understanding of what's happening "behind the scenes" is very limited.

    submitted by /u/Virology_Nerd
    [link] [comments]

    Python String Matching/Normalization

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 08:02 PM PDT

    Hey guys. I was hoping you could help me. I have been searching for many hours trying to come up with a solution but I am at a complete standstill with my code.

    Background: I have successfully scraped two websites and I am able to store the values in a database, I am also able to call these values to the front-end. All texts and integers. I am also aware that I could do the "normalization" of the data after I scrape and before I add it to the database.

    Problem: I want to be able to take two titles with more or less the same name from my database e.g.

    title_siteone = 'Apple MacBook Pro 2020 13in (or INCH) i5 16GB 1TB SSD - Silver'

    title_sitetwo='Apple Macbook Pro (2020) 13.3" i5 - 16GB - 1TB SSD - Silver'

    Normalize/Regex (as in remove what's necessary) both or one to match the other a little closer e.g. title_sitetwo will now be 'Apple Macbook Pro 2020 13.3 i5 16GB 1TB SSD Silver'

    And somehow get it to become one? and then call it as a link to the front-end. What I expect to happen when I click on that link is that it goes to that specific products' endpoint and displays a side by side comparison from the two websites e.g price etc... I know that I can pull the data from the database by then but I can't get my head around on what to do or even what to research at this point. Any different/new approach than this one are highly appreciated.

    My main stack is flask, sqlachemy, bs4, requests, bootstrap4 and sqlite. Please let me know if I'm missing any important modules that would make these types of things easier.

    Btw I have many many more titles to "pattern match", is it possible to be automated? I don't imagine doing this for all of my titles. (especially with regex and different expressions.) Thank you so much!!!!

    Edit: Grammar and clarity

    submitted by /u/mswatchcheck
    [link] [comments]

    Online Programming Courses

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 07:58 PM PDT

    I am looking to lead a group of students, within my major (Actuarial Science), to learn several languages (Python, SQL, R, etc). Are there any online resources we can use that are designed for a class? I have looked into Coursera, but my uni isn't registered(I'm considering reaching out to a professor to help us with that). I have found numerous online courses that are meant for self-teaching, but I want one that a whole group of 10-15 students can learn from. any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/AmericaGuru
    [link] [comments]

    Somebody can help me with this problem ??

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 07:54 PM PDT

    i kinda new in programming and have a problem with this question "Create a program in C whos ask for the first letters from 5 classmates and they age, store them in two vectors and at the end print a list with the first letter and the age of the students. EX. Letter: c Age: 17 Letter: j Age: 19 ." i getting trouble by the first char doesn't appears and then skip a line and a char anytime than the scanf on the string .

    submitted by /u/el_caveira
    [link] [comments]

    What are some interesting programing books like *Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid* and *code the hidden language of computer hardware and software*?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 11:36 PM PDT

    I really like reading books like these because they are filled with fascinating and amazing knowledge. What are some other interesting and amazing books like these?

    submitted by /u/nimo_xhan
    [link] [comments]

    (Serious) How to make a fully functional website/app.

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    Hello, I recently had a spark of an idea that I believe has the potential to be a super popular website/app that everyone can use. I am a college student and don't have much knowledge of what it takes to make such website/app. Can anyone please describe in detail of what it takes to have a web/app that can have user accounts (log in, log out, etc.), as well as having a way to store notes that can be retrived? Sort of similar to an online notetaker web/app. What are the steps in order to make such thing? Thanks (sorry if I'm a little bit vague...)

    submitted by /u/Acai31
    [link] [comments]

    Welp pls help— how do downloads work

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 10:57 PM PDT

    Hi all— can someone please help me understand how an automatic download works? I'm hard on the struggle bus and would appreciate the help.

    Let's say I download an SDK and it gets updated, upon update its immediately downloaded to my... software? Computer?

    How does the download process happen from a technical perspective? I mean, how does the code go from binaries on a website to software on my machine? The more detail the better :)

    Specifically I am confused about: - how http protocol works - how the install process works - how the system knows where to put/access/run files

    submitted by /u/hsjsksjbaajba
    [link] [comments]

    API for Covid related news

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 10:52 PM PDT

    I'm working on a mobile application that retrieves and shows news related to COVID-19 by state. Is there a website provides an API for such?

    submitted by /u/destin95
    [link] [comments]

    Are there certifications worth it?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    Hi so I've been learning full stack web development for about 2 months now and I was looking for some kind of way I don't know to "prove" that I know what I'm doing (Get your foot in the door).

    I looked into uni and boot-camps but honestly they are all out of my price range so self study is the only way.

    I found out Microsoft & AWS has some certification exams one can take but I am unsure whether its worth anything? I have a bunch of certificates from my current career which are absolutely useless so I'm just wondering if this is the same case.

    P.S. I know 2 months is to early but I'm thinking about the future and if I should just save up or get a loan for a boot-camp or uni.

    submitted by /u/Defender0345
    [link] [comments]

    Data structures x objects and databases

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 06:26 PM PDT

    I never understood the practical and conceptual difference between those two, nor do i know the specific definition of a data structure, when i researched it, it kind of sounded like a database but i know it can't be that. So what is it and what does it differentiate from databases or objects.

    Also, if there are data structures are there other types of structures aswell?

    submitted by /u/A_Reasonable_Bear
    [link] [comments]

    Where to keep db file in production of a flask app?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    I've just made my first web app that I now want to deploy. Is it normal to save the database file on the server? For instance, if I'm working with a SQLite dB that is saved in my project directory, is that an okay place to keep it if I deploy my site on a service line linode? Or is it advisable to use a remote dB server?

    submitted by /u/myceliatedmerchant
    [link] [comments]

    How do I add a scroll bar to this program

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    from tkinter import * #Define def save_info(): firstname_info = firstname.get() lastname_info = lastname.get() age_info = age.get() age_info = str(age_info) Passport_info = Passport.get() Passport_info = str(Passport_info) Flight_info = Flight.get() Address_info = Address.get() Live_info = Live.get() State_info = State.get() Ownphone_info = Ownphone.get() Ownphone_info = str(Ownphone_info) Email_info = Email.get() Emergencyphone_info = Emergencyphone.get() Emergencyphone_info = str(Emergencyphone_info) Emergencyname_info = Emergencyname.get() Emergencyemail_info = Emergencyemail.get() Emergencyaddress_info = Emergencyaddress.get() #Print Information print(firstname_info, lastname_info, age_info, Passport_info, Flight_info, Address_info, Live_info, State_info, Ownphone_info, Email_info, Emergencyphone_info, Emergencyname_info, Emergencyemail_info, Emergencyaddress_info) file = open("user.txt", "w") file.write(firstname_info) file.write(lastname_info) file.write(age_info) file.write(Passport_info) file.write(Flight_info) file.write(Address_info) file.write(Live_info) file.write(State_info) file.write(Ownphone_info) file.write(Email_info) file.write(Emergencyphone_info) file.write(Emergencyname_info) file.write(Emergencyemail_info) file.write(Emergencyaddress_info) file.close() print(" User ", firstname_info, " has been registered successfully") firstname_entry.delete(0, END) lastname_entry.delete(0, END) age_entry.delete(0, END) Passport_entry.delete(0, END) Flight_entry.delete(0, END) Address_entry.delete(0, END) Live_entry.delete(0, END) State_entry.delete(0, END) Ownphone_entry.delete(0, END) Email_entry.delete(0, END) Emergencyphone_entry.delete(0, END) Emergencyname_entry.delete(0, END) Emergencyemail_entry.delete(0, END) Emergencyaddress_entry.delete(0, END) #Design screen = Tk() screen.geometry("2000x2000") screen.title("Python Form") heading = Label(text = "Python Form", bg = "grey", fg = "black", width = "500", height = "3") heading.pack() #Text Placemnet firstname_text = Label(text = "Firstname * ",) lastname_text = Label(text = "Lastname * ",) age_text = Label(text = "Age * ",) firstname_text.place(x = 15, y = 50) lastname_text.place(x = 15, y = 120) age_text.place(x = 15, y = 190) Passport_text = Label(text = "Passport Number * ",) Flight_text = Label(text = "Flight Number * ",) Address_text = Label(text = "Address * ",) Passport_text.place(x = 30, y = 260) Flight_text.place(x = 15, y = 330) Address_text.place(x = 15, y = 400) Live_text = Label(text = "Do you plan to live in Australia in the next 12 months * ",) State_text = Label(text = "State * ",) Ownphone_text = Label(text = "Own Phone Number * ",) Live_text.place(x = 15, y = 470) State_text.place(x = 15, y = 540) Ownphone_text.place(x = 15, y = 610) Email_text = Label(text = "Own Email Address * ",) Emergencyphone_text = Label(text = "Name of Emergency Contact * ",) Emergencyname_text = Label(text = "Email of Emergency Contact * ",) Email_text.place(x = 15, y = 700) Emergencyphone_text.place(x = 15, y = 750) Emergencyname_text.place(x = 15, y = 820) Emergencyemail_text = Label(text = "Phone Number of Emergency Contact * ",) Emergencyaddress_text = Label(text = "Address of Emergency Contact * ",) Emergencyemail_text.place(x = 15, y = 890) Emergencyaddress_text.place(x = 15, y = 950) #Interger or String firstname = StringVar() lastname = StringVar() age = IntVar() Passport = IntVar() Flight = StringVar() Address = StringVar() Live = StringVar() State = StringVar() Ownphone = IntVar() Email = StringVar() Emergencyphone = IntVar() Emergencyname = StringVar() Emergencyemail = StringVar() Emergencyaddress = StringVar() #Location firstname_entry = Entry(textvariable = firstname, width = "30") lastname_entry = Entry(textvariable = lastname, width = "30") age_entry = Entry(textvariable = age, width = "30") firstname_entry.place(x = 15, y = 80) lastname_entry.place(x = 15, y = 150) age_entry.place(x = 15, y = 220) Passport_entry = Entry(textvariable = Passport, width = "30") Flight_entry = Entry(textvariable = Flight, width = "30") Address_entry = Entry(textvariable = Address, width = "30") Passport_entry.place(x = 55, y = 270) Flight_entry.place(x = 15, y = 360) Address_entry.place(x = 15, y = 430) Live_entry = Entry(textvariable = Live, width = "30") State_entry = Entry(textvariable = State, width = "30") Ownphone_entry = Entry(textvariable = Ownphone, width = "30") Live_entry.place(x = 15, y = 500) State_entry.place(x = 15, y = 570) Ownphone_entry.place(x = 15, y = 640) Email_entry = Entry(textvariable = Email, width = "30") Emergencyphone_entry = Entry(textvariable = Emergencyphone, width = "30") Emergencyname_entry = Entry(textvariable = Emergencyname, width = "30") Email_entry.place(x = 15, y = 710) Emergencyphone_entry.place(x = 15, y = 780) Emergencyname_entry.place(x = 15, y = 850) Emergencyemail_entry = Entry(textvariable = Emergencyemail, width = "30") Emergencyaddress_entry = Entry(textvariable = Emergencyaddress, width = "30") Emergencyemail_entry.place(x = 15, y = 920) Emergencyaddress_entry.place(x = 15, y = 990) #RegistorButton register = Button(screen,text = "Register", width = "30", height = "2", command = save_info, bg = "grey") register.place(x = 15, y =2000) #Scrollbar def save_info(): tk.Tk_info = tk.Tk.get() class screen(tk.Tk): def __init__(self): tk.Tk.__init__(self) self.geometry("320x240") yscroll = tk.Scrollbar(self, orient=tk.VERTICAL) xscroll = tk.Scrollbar(self, orient=tk.HORIZONTAL) yscroll.pack(side=tk.RIGHT, fill=tk.Y) xscroll.pack(side=tk.BOTTOM, fill=tk.X) self.canvas = tk.Canvas(self) self.canvas.pack(fill=tk.BOTH, expand=True) self.canvas['yscrollcommand'] = yscroll.set self.canvas['xscrollcommand'] = xscroll.set yscroll['command'] = self.canvas.yview xscroll['command'] = self.canvas.xview frame = tk.Frame(self.canvas) self.canvas.create_window(4, 4, window=frame, anchor='nw') # Canvas equivalent of pack() frame.bind("<Configure>", self._on_frame_configure) for x in range(100): lbl = ttk.Label(frame, text="Label "+str(x)) lbl.pack() def _on_frame_configure(self, event=None): self.canvas.configure(scrollregion=self.canvas.bbox("all")) root = screen() root.mainloop() 
    submitted by /u/ShadowNinja9000
    [link] [comments]

    Real life use of pickle and shelve in python?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 05:59 PM PDT

    I am currently learning about pickle and shelve in python, can anyone give me a real life use of pickle and shelve? I learned how they are used but I don't know where to apply it. Isn't it better to use a database when storing data?

    submitted by /u/lmndnm
    [link] [comments]

    I am learning c# and my computer doesn’t work it will freeze up right after I turn it on and won’t allow me to use it whatsoever. I’m going to save up and buy a new one. But in the mean time how can I practice coding with out a computer?

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 09:41 PM PDT

    I have an iPhone and that's it. I really don't think I have many options

    submitted by /u/NathanTuc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment