• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 8, 2020

    Should I give up in getting a degree in CS? Ask Programming

    Should I give up in getting a degree in CS? Ask Programming


    Should I give up in getting a degree in CS?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    Edit: give up on*

    First off, sorry that the title might be a little bit vague, and that the post might be long.

    Long story short, I am graduating this year from a university in a totally different field (Bachelor's degree). I couldn't study CS where I live, because the system is a little bit different here and you don't get to choose completely freely what you'll major in. I have been self-studying for more than a year now and I thing ready to get a web development job, but I really wanted to get a CS degree more than anything, or to get any academic education in the discipline. It's a dumb dream, but I wanted more than just getting a job, which is ultimately why people get degrees, thus might be dumb.

    My situation is as follows, I can't afford getting a degree abroad, not even in a country where free higher education is a thing, because I can't afford moving there. I also apparently can't get a scholarship, because I have a degree already. I thought I'd work and save up until I can afford a degree where I want, but the gross salary I'd make here for a year would barely make me afford a year in a degree abroad. I couldn't get a scholarship before getting that degree, because back then I still needed to improve my English skills and work on my application. Unfortunately, that took me almost 4 years and when I was ready, it was too late.

    I am already trying to study everything that I'd have studied in a degree, so I will learn these things anyway, even if it took me years of self-studying, but that whole CS degree dream was something I wanted since I was a kid and I am starting to think it's really hard at this point. Should I just let it go? Is it really pointless? I am asking because I don't know of the options available and I also wanted to get out of my own head and get somebody else's opinion. Thanks, if you read any of this!

    submitted by /u/bMos98
    [link] [comments]

    Basic Tic Tac Toe game in C++. My player doesn't switch from X to O. What did I do wrong?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 10:00 PM PDT

    #include <iostream>
    #include <cstdlib>
    using namespace std;
    char matrix[3][3] = {'1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6','7', '8', '9'};
    char player = 'X';
    void Draw() {

    cout << "Tic Tac Toe v1.0" << endl;
    for (int i = 0; i < 3; i++){
    for (int j=0; j < 3; j++){
    cout << matrix [i][j] << " ";}
    cout << endl;
    }
    }
    void Input() {
    int a;
    cout << "Press the number of the field: ";
    cin >> a;
    if (a==1)
    matrix[0][0] = player;
    else if (a==2)
    matrix[0][1] = player;
    else if (a==3)
    matrix[0][2] = player;
    else if (a==4)
    matrix[1][0] = player;
    else if (a==5)
    matrix[1][1] = player;
    else if (a==6)
    matrix[1][2] = player;
    else if (a==7)
    matrix[2][0] = player;
    else if (a==8)
    matrix[2][1] = player;
    else if (a==9)
    matrix[2][2] = player;

    }
    void TogglePlayer() {
    if (player == 'X' )
    player = 'O';
    else
    player = 'X';
    }
    char win() {
    //first player
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'X' && matrix[0][1] == 'X' && matrix[0][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[1][0] == 'X' && matrix[1][1] == 'X' && matrix[1][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[2][0] == 'X' && matrix[2][1] == 'X' && matrix[2][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'X' && matrix[1][0] == 'X' && matrix[2][0] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[0][1] == 'X' && matrix[1][1] == 'X' && matrix[2][1] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[0][2] == 'X' && matrix[1][2] == 'X' && matrix[2][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'X' && matrix[1][1] == 'X' && matrix[2][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    if (matrix[2][0] == 'X' && matrix[1][1] == 'X' && matrix[0][2] == 'X')
    return 'X';
    //second player
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'O' && matrix[0][1] == 'O' && matrix[0][2] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[1][0] == 'O' && matrix[1][1] == 'O' && matrix[1][0] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[2][0] == 'O' && matrix[2][1] == 'O' && matrix[2][0] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'O' && matrix[1][0] == 'O' && matrix[2][0] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[0][1] == 'O' && matrix[1][1] == 'O' && matrix[2][1] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[0][2] == 'O' && matrix[1][2] == 'O' && matrix[2][2] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[0][0] == 'O' && matrix[1][1] == 'O' && matrix[2][2] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    if (matrix[2][0] == 'O' && matrix[1][1] == 'O' && matrix[0][2] == 'O')
    return 'O';
    return '/';

    }
    int main() {
    Draw();
    while (1)
    {

    Input();
    Draw();
    if (win() == 'X')
    {
    cout << "x wins!" << endl;
    break;

    }
    else if (win() == 'O')
    {
    cout << "o wins!" << endl;
    break;
    TogglePlayer();
    }
    }
    system("pause");
    return 0;
    }

    submitted by /u/DragonCode2020
    [link] [comments]

    Which PRAW Module to scrape Subreddit about.json?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    Hi, I want to scrape every subreddit's about.json, but I can't find a PRAW module for this. Which one should I use?

    submitted by /u/Redditproject2019
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a 2020 "de facto standard" for authentication/authorization? JWTs seem very popular and cross platform compatible but how do you use them correctly? It seems some people hate them, is there a more correct way?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 02:13 PM PDT

    What to look for when hiring developers?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    I'm not a programmer myself so it's quite difficult for me to gauge how "good" a developer is if I'm deciding to hire one for an e-commerce business.

    I've researched on popular programming languages such as MERN, React and frameworks such as Laravel - should I ask developers if they know these just to have an idea that they can do the job on top of their previous experiences? Are there additional checklists that I should be covering?

    submitted by /u/-Adapted
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering what programming language you should learn to get a job?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    Here are the Top 5 programming languages to learn based on reported available jobs in the middle of pandemic.

    https://youtu.be/Bws6aNkUOho

    submitted by /u/WSTEMadvocate
    [link] [comments]

    does a programming job acutally look like this?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BES9EKK4Aw4

    does a programming actually look this chill just being on a computer programming? or is this just because this is a very small independent company? sorry for the dumb question i just fell in love with this video and how relaxing it looks combined with the keyboard sounds

    submitted by /u/emoky
    [link] [comments]

    Generate unique pairings for weekly schedule

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    Hey all, just wondering if anyone had any ideas for a basic scheduling algorithm, where people have 1 partner a week and we'd like to get everyone a unique partner until there aren't any.

    Given people = ["a", "b", "c", "d", "e", "f"] The output should be something like this: WEEK 1 --------- --- ['c', 'a'] --- ['e', 'b'] --- ['f', 'd'] WEEK 2 --------- --- ['d', 'a'] --- ['c', 'b'] --- ['e', 'f'] WEEK 3 --------- --- ['a', 'b'] --- ['f', 'c'] --- ['e', 'd'] WEEK 4 --------- --- ['e', 'a'] --- ['f', 'b'] --- ['c', 'd'] WEEK 5 --------- --- ['b', 'd'] --- ['a', 'f'] --- ['c', 'e'] 

    My algorithm currently is very brute force, iterating over possible partnerships and shuffling arrays randomly to force good permutations, but as you can imagine this times out with anything above 6 people.

    The problem is that if you go through the lists linearly, you'll often find yourself with unmatchable people at the end of the list

    Here's all my code: https://pastebin.com/cb2TJVfm

    Would love to hear if anyone has any insight as to how this could scale to work for, say 20 people. It's been hard googling and not running into Gale-Shapely, but it's more just a sort of cartesian product problem of sorts. Thanks so much in advance!

    submitted by /u/A_Promiscuous_Llama
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I start?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    I realize this is a loaded question but my situation is pretty unique so I figured I'd see what actual programmers think is my best choice.

    Currently I haven't programmed anything since BASIC on my TRS-80 back when I was around 10 yrs old. I've done a few things manipulating others work for my own gains but never actually learned a language outside of BASIC. I'm 42 yrs old and really wanting to make this my new love (gaming for me at the moment seems like wasted time). I figure starting with Python is a good first step because of ease of use and then eventually moving down to C++ then C then Assembly to get to bare metal programming but that's a long ways off (I'm a glutton for punishment). I'd eventually like to learn Swift as well since my house is very much Apple-centric (I'm just not a big fan of Windows but love Linux).

    So I figured learning Python would be good but I'd like to try and use Xcode as my IDE at the same time. Considering my past and what I want my future to be does this make sense? I get it that IDE's are a very personal preference type thing. But switching back and forth between IDE's is not something I'd like to do. And when I get to bare metal style programming I'll likely be doing it in Notepad++ but I've heard that setting up Visual Studio also makes for decent MASM programming.

    What do you think? Be brutal if needed. Thank you in advance for your help.

    submitted by /u/Heratiki
    [link] [comments]

    How can I intercept http traffic on linux?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 08:36 AM PDT

    I need to intercept http traffic from a specific java program.

    Google shows many tools, but I don't know which to choose.

    The program is on linux server and I have only ssh access.

    So I need command line / text only tool.

    submitted by /u/HappyGoblin
    [link] [comments]

    Is FreeCodeCamp worth it?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:48 AM PDT

    I am a Grade 9 student who is looking to enhance my coding skills. I am moderately good at Python, CSS, and HTML, and I am looking to learn JavaScript and C++. I was planning on getting a subscription to Codecademy Pro, but then I came across FreeCodeCamp. I would like to work as a software engineer when I grow up, so will FreeCodeCamp and its certifications help me progress or should I opt for another website?

    submitted by /u/supersid2911
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a Study / Work Comparing Programming Languages Cognitive Complexity?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    (I attempted this question in Software Engineering stackexchange, but got rejected...)

    I've been reading about metrics that are currently being used in the industry to have quantitative measurements of the quality of codebases, such as Cognitive Complexity and Cyclomatic Complexity.

    I wonder, are there published studies, or any references regarding how these techniques could be applied at the programming language level? How feasible could it be to come up with a sort of average metric objectively representing the difficulty of learning the syntax, rules and overall specification for a language. The result could be used then to benchmark existing languages in the field from an objective standpoint that specifically addresses their complexity relative to each other.

    Maybe other work out there on a similar spirit could help me guide the train of thought regarding this research...

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/alexfradiani
    [link] [comments]

    In python, how do you know when to count values at 0, and when to count values at ?. I feel like sometimes you count at 1.

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    There was a typo I meant to say when to count values at 0 versus when to countdown is at 1? I can't edit the title

    submitted by /u/Ephoenix6
    [link] [comments]

    Tik Tok share bot

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:44 PM PDT

    I would like to be able to share bot videos, can someone explain how to do that?

    submitted by /u/ppsuckmypp
    [link] [comments]

    Hosting one simple web page (plain text) without experience

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:20 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I have a little bit of a specific desire, I don't know if it's complicated because I don't have experience in this domain.

    I just want to setup a page, with just a plain text on it, just an HTML page with text that could be found on Google if you specifically search for the name I'd put, which is a word that doesn't exist and doesn't have much results on Google.

    It's a little bit of a "bottle on the ocean thing", I see in tutorials there is a lot of technical details that are discussed when talking about web hosting, and I don't know anything about it, and I don't get it, and it's getting a little longer than excepted to understand everything.

    I just want something that I, or anyone that knows about the word (2 people at most), could find if they type the word on google. Like, if i'd type "doublabaloo" on Google I'd land on a page called "doublabaloo" or "doublabaloo.com" or something, and it would just be plain text.

    I hope the question isn't too specific, thanks a lot if you read it.

    submitted by /u/JaziEdouard
    [link] [comments]

    Can somebody give me instractions on getting started with affliate program in my website?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    I have an ecommerce website (laravel). I know a little about affliate programs like CPA, TUNE, HasOffers etc. But have no proper understanding about their integrations in personal website.

    Let's say, for my products I want to start affliate program, so my product pages links will have query params like utm_source, etc etc..

    But with which affliate network and scripts can I follow to get started? If there's a proper blog on on them you can also suggest.

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/dgvai
    [link] [comments]

    How to write an app/web site

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 07:12 AM PDT

    Hi I have an idea for an app/website. I know back end and front end and some desktop development but I actually have no idea how to do that or where to start because i always worked in companies on big projects. Sounds dumb i know. But what should i do?

    Edit: i am not talkin about a hello world app or small utility/tool app. More like a big thing. Actually the parts about the development itself i will figure out. But where how do i host the website, or how i can make something that preferrably works in web/phone without having to re-write things. I mean how would i get live even the simplest web site/app (with client/server). Should i just run it on my laptop first time or buy/rent a server/container. What would be the good start withot spending significant money on that?

    Edit2: should i first basically build something that runs on my computer and tgen figure out how to put it out there? Ideally i would love to provide some initial access even to the simplest version to get opinions and see if i go in the right direction.

    submitted by /u/gas3872
    [link] [comments]

    Ballerina programming language

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    What are the real advantages of Ballerina language in comparison with others server-sides languages?

    submitted by /u/peutetrecesoir
    [link] [comments]

    Books / resources about thinking robustly about solving problems

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:09 AM PDT

    I was recently in a job interview in which my interviewer told me that he doesn't believe that university degrees teach many useful things to students. His main point was that they don't do a proper job teaching them to think, and that he has found that even graduate students cannot properly answer problems which he gives them.

    I was curious, so I asked him whether he could give me an example of a problem which graduate students can't answer properly. This was the problem:

    Given a request, A, with a starting and a finishing time, decide whether it collides with another request, B, with a starting and finishing time.

    My answer was that one can check whether the starting time for request A is after the starting time of request B but before the finishing time of request B, and vice versa for the ending time of request A.

    However, he said that my answer was completely wrong. His reason for this was that I jumped straight to solving the problem, instead of proving it beforehand and reasoning about it. When I asked him how he would have answered if he had been asked the problem, his answer was:

    The possible cases are that request A may be completely before request B, request A may partially overlap request B on the left, request A may be contained in request B, request B may be contained in request A, request A may partially overlap request B on the right, and request A may be completely after request B.

    His explanation for why this is a necessary step of reasoning about a problem was that it allows you to prove that your solution is correct (whereas I, jumping straight to the solution to of the problem, have no way of proving that my solution is correct) and that it is a formal method which allows one to write code which has a lower chance of containing bugs, as you can know that the logic for the code is sound.

    From his "proof step" in solving the problem, you can also see quite easily that there is a solution to the problem which requires less computational power than the one I suggested: simply check whether A finishes before B starts or starts after B ends. If this is the case, then they do not overlap.

    So my question is whether anyone has any resources or books which they can recommend to me for helping to learn more about how to think about logic before jumping straight to writing the code. I have searched around and haven't yet been able to find anything that great. I'm mostly looking for something practical; i.e. something which only deals with abstract logical proofs and never connects this to how you can use the ideas in your coding would still be something I would be interested in reading, but less so than something which addresses practical application.

    Thanks!

    TLDR; does anyone have any book or resource recommendations with deal with the idea of how to problem solve and think about logical problems / proofs before actually writing the code.

    submitted by /u/BeetrootEnthusiast
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment