• Breaking News

    Monday, August 17, 2020

    Just made a video going over my animation process for getting good looking powerful attacks quickly. Let me know what you think! - (full video linked in Comments)

    Just made a video going over my animation process for getting good looking powerful attacks quickly. Let me know what you think! - (full video linked in Comments)


    Just made a video going over my animation process for getting good looking powerful attacks quickly. Let me know what you think! - (full video linked in Comments)

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 07:27 AM PDT

    Just found this guy. Anyone who is making games with castles in it should watch some of his videos. Here's just one of these nuggets

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:24 AM PDT

    Finish Him

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 07:54 AM PDT

    How to support my gamedev boyfriend better?

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 12:35 PM PDT

    Hey guys I could really use some help.

    My boyfriend is a game developer ( and a pretty good one if i say my biased opinion ) but I don't know how to give him the support that he needs. I tell him that I am proud of him or believe in him but he then says that he doesn't need that, that it doesn't help him.

    I try to talk with him about his project and I think sometimes I even give decent advise or help him see something obvious that he had been missing.

    Now is my question, what can I do to give him more support or just show him in a good way that I am here for him in that part of his life.

    Thanks in advance.

    Native language is not English, sorry if I made mistakes.

    submitted by /u/ZeaRiley
    [link] [comments]

    First time ever I've been proud of my UI, I present you the Mainmenu of my game Treasure Hunt, any feedback is appreciated :)

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Space Cadet - Slower Than Light update is live!

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    When programmer making 3D models: 1) They must be aligned by grid size! 2) They must follow the naming by ABC or 123 orders! 3) Remove the points for mobile Ready! (*After struggling for months, FM Polygon Japan is released today...)

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Unity Acquires Git and Perforce Competitor Plastic SCM, a source control system for projects with large data components. Introduces a free tier for up to 3 users

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Is this possible?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:26 AM PDT

    Needed background info:

    Since birth I have a condition that wont let me do heavy work. A cist in my brain prevents my body of producing growth hormone. Basically my muscles are atrophied. Always tried to live life at it's full but some years ago it finally got the best of me. I've moved in to my parents house and been there for over a year now. The thing is: for about 6 months I've been in this treatment and it began to show results. I'll still be living here for at least the next 5 years.

    So, here's the thing:

    I've began to properly learn English for some months and started to learn c# in the last one. It started just so I don't lose my sanity but I've been loving it so far. I've never been happier in my entire life. My entire life I couldn't commit to anything because of my condition but looks like the things are about to change. I'm also know how to drawn and been taking a lot of online classes in hope of getting into professional levels. I've also started reading everything I can find about storytelling. I'm planning on take c++ and unreal engine once I've got everything I want from .Net. I'm currently studying 4 hours a day (C#) and about 8 adding up every subject. I'm planing to learn how to play piano or something alike when I get a little better (for now my fingers can't move that fast). The thing is: Can I make a game on my own? How long would it take and how big of a project can it be? I know that's a rather strange question (and probably a lot of people ask this) but I'm on a great spot for trying something new and would love to have something to live and look up for again, I just need to know what to expect. I know it's a annoying question but if I get just one answer I'll be happy. Thanks in advance and sorry for wasting your time.

    submitted by /u/rzgaz0lla
    [link] [comments]

    Unity 2020 Visual Scripting Tutorial with Bolt

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:34 AM PDT

    What is something that you really wanted to know before you started your GameDev journey?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    For me it was really, that most stuff isn't as hard as you think and the stuff that should be easy can be a bit harder than you expected it. Also, that everything takes longer than you think haha

    submitted by /u/Moaning_Clock
    [link] [comments]

    hosting a game jam! link in the comments.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    Question about how to process frames in a deterministic simulation strategy game

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I started to work on a game that is mostly a network strategy like simulator which consists mainly of a simple terrain and lots of buildings and units that can be controlled by the player. One of the things I'm trying to accomplish is to have the simulation completely detached from the rendering part and also deterministic so I can have replays and I can synchronize clients (on different CPU architectures) only by using the initial random seed and the list of players commands.

    I am now trying to find out the best way to do that, I know that I can't use floating point math and also that the order of the processing of things must be completely defined (no sorting on things that re not unique for example) but I'm a bit stuck on what is the best approach when processing the units:

    a) Should I always keep the full state of the previous frame and only read from that when processing and writing the units state for the new frame or

    b) should I process the units in a well defined order (by ID for example) and only keep the current state ignoring the fact that when units interact with each (read each other state - like distance between them) they have no clue if the state is from this frame or the previous one and accepting that this would not be an entirely accurate simulation.

    Is there a "industry standard / best way" to solve this problem? What are your thoughts?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/puthre
    [link] [comments]

    Getting emails from a lot of "game influencer" sites.

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 06:42 AM PDT

    Hey!

    So my game is listed in steam as "Coming soon" and I've been getting plenty of emails from "game influencer" sites, which I've read a lot about.

    My one question is- how do they get hold of my email? I've searched my steam page and google for traces of my email but didn't find anything.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Ormai
    [link] [comments]

    Got my Black Hole/Wormhole for deep space travel working!

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm currently beginning development on my first "proper" game. When should I start trying to make it known about, and how should I tell people about it?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    I'm really not sure where and when I should start with the getting people interested in the long term part. It's not really presentable as a game yet, it's only some tests that are slowly being mashed together into a level. I really need advice! Thanks. :)

    Edit: Here's a basic explanation of what my game will be about: https://www.reddit.com/r/VRGaming/comments/iaw1v8/im_currently_working_on_a_vr_game_but_i_wanted_to/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

    submitted by /u/ProcastinationKing27
    [link] [comments]

    My goal is to get a Job in AAA. Should I focus my free time on coding games in C++ or make Unity/Unreal Games?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 06:44 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    Ever since I was young I wanted to be a game programmer. After a lot of research, I found that Gameplay / Graphics Programmer are two things I want to pursue, with my main focus being Game Programmer. I have a Computer Science degree, and I am interviewing for some frontend jobs (something to pay the bills while I make a few games and get some experience). Finally, before I get to the question I want to note that I am really comfortable with C++ and I really enjoy coding in it. I guess it is because, at the age of 14 after learning that it is the primary language of AAA studios I bought a C++ book, studied it, and have been coding with it ever since. I have used other languages like Java and C#, and tools like Unity for class projects during my degree.

    So I am wondering, while I am going to start building a portfolio should I focus on making games using C++ (making my own game engine, and/or using libraries like OpenGL), or should I focus on making games with Unity or Unreal?

    I read that some AAA studios look down on Unity, so if my portfolio has Unity projects will it hinder my chances of getting the job?

    I am looking for advice from people in the triple-A industry but any input to my questions will be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/ThanosIsBusy
    [link] [comments]

    My first homemade VR suit. Share what you can develop with this :)

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    Have you ever wonder what influence mobile gamers to pick up new games? The top reason is that they want to play a game in a particular genre, according to a new report by Facebook and GameRefinery

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 03:55 AM PDT

    Humor in Multiple Languages

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    I wonder if anyone has tackled this. I'm making a game (early dev) that I hope to be humorous but a lot of what I'd write would be very specific to English, like cultural sayings that won't translate. They'd have to be completely re-written to be funny for another language. I'd love to bring that humor to other languages. Do you hire someone who's funny in Chinese, Spanish, Arabic for example? Have them become a writer not just translator?

    Any advice, articles, or experiences with this? My other game had simple dialogue that was "easy" to translate.

    submitted by /u/agentfx
    [link] [comments]

    Postmortem: Eastshade

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    A newcomer’s retrospective on self publishing to Steam in 2020

    Posted: 16 Aug 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    I recently put my game, Power of Ten, up on Steam. This is the first time I've put anything on Steam and it was quite a mixed bag when it came to my expectations and the reality. This isn't any sort of advice or should be used as any guideline, just my trying experience with this process.

    A very short about me to put this in context: I'm a UX designer, working full time, who picked up game development a little over a year ago (using Gamemaker Studio 2). I've been working in my spare time on this game as a hobby but would love to one day make it a full time gig.

    I decided to publish a coming soon page after talking to several other indie devs about their experiences and they said get a page ASAP to start collecting wishlists. Previous to I'd published the demo of my game on Itch.io and Game Jolt to moderate success. The game didn't exactly blow up but I am very pleased about the small community I was able to form to have a strong feedback flow for when I made updates.

    Publishing on Itch and Gamejolt was very easy compared to Steam. Their UX is great in for publishing on an extremely small scale. So my expectation is that Steam would have similarly great UX for publishing considering it was so big… oh boy was I wrong.

    Building the business part

    First roadblock I hit was the business aspect. I didn't have a business set up and therefore no business bank account. This took a while. Nothing was particularly hard about any of it. I used Stripe Atlas to establish a business entity, cost my a bit more that probably needed to but it was worth it during this time in life where in person is less than ideal. It took a couple weeks to finish that whole process and another week to set up a bank account through Azlo. That all took about a month. At that point I was an official Steam Developer. Awesome.

    Next roadblock was setting up my Steam page. This is where my expectations from previous publishing experiences met reality. I realized I was missing a lot of pieces of content, like key art, real marketing copy and a trailer. This was a bit demotivating because everything I was producing felt like it wasn't adding to my game, but I knew it was important. When I sat down to work on the game I had to stop myself from actually working on the game and work on the things that needed to be done for the Steam page.

    In the midst of this I lost a lot of motivation. I'd created a feedback loop with my players where I'd publish an update and get feedback and be motivated to work on the next update because of that. I didn't have that for this content. This was incredibly difficult to break through.

    After weeks of wondering if it's even worth working on this I finally broke through and was able to complete the assets I needed to. To be honest, I'm not sure how I got through it.

    I had a trailer/teaser (Which I recorded all the footage for in the wrong resolution for basically everything), key art, and some okay marketing copy that I threw to the Steam reviewers. Surprisingly the approval part went pretty smoothly. They approved the page and I quietly made it live to see what would happen.

    Getting Steam set up

    To my surprise steam directed a fair amount of traffic to the page and I got about twenty wishlists over a couple of days without even my community knowing about it. That was pretty encouraging. I have had a few reddit and twitter posts get good traction in the past so I had a feeling I could get those numbers up especially after I released the demo onto Steam.

    Publishing a Steam demo turned out to be a bit of a minefield. Creating a sub application was pretty easy and I headed down that path quickly. Figuring out how depots, builds and branches worked was a nightmare though. Getting the application ready for Steam in Gamemaker Studio was fairly easy but trying to understand how to publish the demo and then test it was really really difficult. This is where the UX of Itch and Gamejolt really differed. They do a lot of stuff behind the scenes when you upload a game that helps streamline the process, this stuff is all on you for Steam though and it was quite a learning experience for me.

    I finally managed to fumble my way to getting it working (for Windows only, Mac still having trouble compiling with Steam API) and made it live. That very day I read found some insights into how making an entirely separate application as a demo can (dramatically increase visibility). Facepalm. The results people see are pretty dramatic so I was willing to drop the cash for another application on Steam and try it. That didn't go as smoothly. Steam really didn't like that I was trying to make another application which was essentially the same as something already released. I'm currently going back and forth a bit with them to figure out how I can make it work. I'm hoping it works out but I'm kind of skeptical they might just tell me that, because I already launched the demo, I can't do it this way.

    Roughly 2 weeks after releasing the demo

    The good

    Those who've played the demo seem very enthusiastic about it. I've had a slow trickle of people coming into discord saying things like:

    "I absolutely love this game and already put 100 minutes into it in only 2 days." "I've clocked in at least eight hours playing this game. Playing Power of Ten is sooo satisfying." "I played it for a bit this morning, and I enjoyed it. The spaceship feels pretty good as you fly around, and the objectives were pretty clear."

    That's amazing. I was nervous that expectations on Steam would be much higher than on Itch and Gamejolt but it feels like my game it hitting a positive note for those that try it. According to analytics people are playing it an average of 38 minutes total which seems like a lot for a demo. This aspect alone has helped galvanize my enthusiasm for the project.

    The bad

    I've acquired a little over 200 wishlists in 2 weeks. It's not terrible but I want to get to about 4k wishlists before I consider moving into Early Access (likely the next step). I've had a couple of moderately successful reddit and twitter posts but at this rate I won't hit that goal for a while. I need a stronger focus on marketing if I'm going to move the needle faster.

    The Ugly

    I sunk a lot of time into my teaser trailer and it's a bit of dud. Some folks really like it but it is not attention grabbing enough to be a central piece of marketing. Fun gifs of the game have done much much better and take a fraction of the time to produce


    TL;DR: Steam publishing is much much harder than smaller platforms for newcomers compared to Itch.io or Gamejolt. Demos on Steam are a mixed bag I didn't have a great strategy going into this and I'm a bit of a tough spot because of it. Motivation while getting the "business" side set up can be really hard to push through. My wishlist rate is far too low for my expectations so I'm going to move a lot of focus to marketing now that I have a page up.

    That's it! Feel free to share any advice you have or thoughts. Love to hear from you all.

    submitted by /u/ajrdesign
    [link] [comments]

    How do developers make enviroments?

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    Next year, I will be going into design courses to create video games, because that's what I'd like to do in life. I have an idea for a game in a similar style to the Mario & Luigi series, which is where I need help.

    I can make the characters using 2D models I'm making in Photoshop. But what software do developers use to make assets for the 3D environments? I'd like to have everything in order before I start college.

    submitted by /u/yoshifun1
    [link] [comments]

    I honestly can't believe this isn't 2D. Mastering Stylized PBR Texturing Using Substance Painter Tutorial

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 06:03 AM PDT

    Just released my first game!

    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment