• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 9, 2020

    I make orchestral/ electronic music that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!

    I make orchestral/ electronic music that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!


    I make orchestral/ electronic music that I'm giving away free with a Creative Commons license. Feel free to use it in your work!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 04:54 AM PDT

    Hi, I make music that I'm giving away for free under a Creative Commons attribution license. Feel free to use them however you like! All of the bandcamp and mediafire links have downloadable wav files, and everything I listed is available royalty free.

    I arranged these sort of by tone/style to make it easier to look through:

    Energetic:

    Emotional/ Cathartic:

    Aggressive (Electronic/ Bass Heavy):

    Epic/ Powerful (Orchestral):

    Other:

    Here are the license details if anyone is interested:

    You are free to:

    • Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

    • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.

    Under the following terms:

    • Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

    No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.

    submitted by /u/PunchDeck
    [link] [comments]

    How to Make an Actually Good Tutorial

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:07 AM PDT

    We made an internal tool to create animated art as well as to export assets to our games. Bit - Animation Editor is the refined version of that tool. We use it to compose and design animated pixel art. It has a wide range of easy to use export options, and we also created an importer for Unity.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Place items in the hands of 2D characters in a 3D

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:38 AM PDT

    Place items in the hands of 2D characters in a 3D

    Hi there,

    i just created a blog post about how i have solved the free placement of items and weapons in the hands of my 2d pixel characters in my 3d game world.Ideas to improve it are very welcome as usual :-)

    https://silence-is-a-lie.blogspot.com/2020/08/how-to-place-items-in-hands-of-2d.html

    sprite sheet with marked pixels

    submitted by /u/uwi2k2
    [link] [comments]

    An indie game we currently we working on. Coming to steam very soon. Give us some feedback what you think :)

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    30 second tutorial on how to change the color of the Unity editor while in Play mode - to avoid losing your Play mode changes

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    Tabletop RPG, gridless but strategical combat?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:51 AM PDT

    I'm making my own rpg and I'm trying to make combat tactical without relying too much on a grid. Personally I like grids but I feel it creates too much need for aids and slows down play, so the intention was to make it faster.

    My initial idea is to use abstract ranges like close, medium, and far. But a problem arises when I have multiple players and enemies in combat and can't track their relative positions.

    Player 1 just moved 2 units to get close to an enemy that was previously far, but how close is he now from the other enemies, and from his own allies? When a lot of people are moving around this gets hectic fast!

    I considered drawing maps, and surely that might help, but I was wondering what other ideas you guys might have.

    I thought of ditching the system but I don't want the RPG to become narrative based like PbTA. I love that for what it does, but I want combat to be a big factor on this game.

    submitted by /u/Khiv_
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I find professional quality niche game-ready audio samples other than the marketplace?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:31 AM PDT

    Specifically I'm looking for flag sounds for a moving flag prop. Moving cloth sounds could work too.

    submitted by /u/WGS_Stillwater
    [link] [comments]

    (Unity) Making a puzzle game with reflection theme

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    Multiplayer plaftormer - Remote player position interpolation causing floaty/spongy movement

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:30 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm working on a 2D multiplayer (peer-to-peer) platformer in Godot and have just implemented some basic extrapolation and interpolation to remote player movement, to reduce jitter and lighten the bandwidth load. I'm sending an update containing position and velocity to other peers every 30ms - once the game receives this update, it uses the velocity and position of the player to work out the position that they'll be within the next 30ms, and smoothly interpolate them to that position instead of just setting them there.

    This code is run when receiving an update from another player:

    last_packet_time = packet_time packet_time = current_time var elapsed = packet_time - last_packet_time currentPos = position newPos = pos + recievedVelocity * elapsed #Estimating where player will be var jitter = elapsed - UPDATE_INTERVAL lerptime = current_time + UPDATE_INTERVAL - jitter 

    Then in the process function (run every frame):

    if current_time < lerptime: lerpVelocity = (newPos - currentPos) / lerptime position += lerpVelocity 

    This does wonders to improve jitter, but remote player movements are now over-smoothed to a very noticeable degree. It's especially noticeable on the vertical axis (e.g. when the player jumps - if they bunny hop, they don't even touch the ground). Remote players will float down from a jump instead of hitting the floor as intended. I'll attach some footage here.

    https://reddit.com/link/i6l7rc/video/2nlsc5i4wzf51/player

    Does anybody have experience with or advice for this? The nature of the game means that other player's movements should be snappy and easily readable, so I'm quite concerned with this issue. I realise why this is happening (I think), but I can't figure out how to make it snappier without re-introducing jitter. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/aj_frosty
    [link] [comments]

    Need game mechanic ideas for a cat clicker game.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 05:12 AM PDT

    Hey so I'm a big cat lover, I have 2 fluff balls running around at home and I have been keeping myself busy over quaratine by trying to make a Cat clicker game to gain some more experience in Unity. I have made the core game loop already with gaining score, multipliers and upgrades etc. I know that clicker games are a very over used style of game and very flooded on the market but I'm not sure If im ever going to release this most likely something just for my CV to have mobile development experience. I was wondering what would you like to see as a gameplay feature in a Cat clicker game ? Any idea would be amazing as I have been enjoying making this and would love to make it more fun as a game.

    submitted by /u/MrSoeedy68
    [link] [comments]

    Low poly speed art level design

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    Low poly speed art level design

    I spent 2 weeks trying to improve my low poly modelling and level designing skills, go check out the video I made about thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3c7LvsXhQ

    https://preview.redd.it/qrlop0hp00g51.png?width=1280&format=png&auto=webp&s=31c906381c19428fb7e6b9ae6b48ae8b108fad4d

    submitted by /u/MathantasticP
    [link] [comments]

    8BitCADE XL - A DIY Educational Gaming Console. | Powered by Arduino/Arduboy

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    8BitCADE XL - A DIY Educational Gaming Console. | Powered by Arduino/Arduboy

    Hi Guys!

    I'm a 17-year-old student and founder of 8BitCADE. I just launched my first ever Kickstarter! The 8BitCADE XL is an educational DIY gaming console created to educate in a fun and rewarding way - learn code while playing retro games! It comes with over 200+ preinstalled games such as donkey kong and Galactica! Check it out below.

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackdaly/8bitcade-xl-a-diy-educational-gaming-kit?ref=creator_nav

    Watch the trailer below to learn more!

    https://reddit.com/link/i6je1g/video/6rkepk1eazf51/player

    The release trailer for the 8BitCADE XL

    Essentially the 8BitCADE XL is a fun DIY kit that educates anyone about electronics, programming and gaming! The 8BitCADE XL can be used in different ways:

    • For makers who love building and want to assemble the 8BitCADE XL.
    • For gamers who want to hold a relic of our past and play over +200 retro games, experiencing them on the large 2.42 inch OLED screen with fast access via a memory chip with a customisable menu system.

    https://i.redd.it/tiame0rgazf51.gif

    • For programmers who want to utilize the 8BitCADE XL's features to create fun and interesting programs & games - utilizing the 6 buttons, memory chip, RGB LED and so much more.
    • For designers who want to customise the casing, adding their own personal design.
    • For artists who want to express their inner creativity through the design of characters, splash screens, animations and more.
    • For hackers who want to modify the open-source design, building on the product's capabilities, adding their own personality and innovating their ideas.

      For more info, check out this video here https://youtu.be/DV5jn6GQmTI

    https://i.redd.it/wsbi54ehazf51.gif

    Would love for you guys to check it out and give me some feedback. If you want to support me but cant back, sharing it with your friends and family would greatly help! Let's get the word out about 8BitCADE

    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jackdaly/8bitcade-xl-a-diy-educational-gaming-kit?ref=creator_nav

    Thanks, guys!

    Jack from 8BitCADE

    submitted by /u/8bitjackdaly
    [link] [comments]

    How to approach an almost undocumented old game source code?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    I'm talking about 100k+ lines of code written in a programming language I'm confident with. Still, every time I approach it I get very confused after a couple of hours of reading.

    I'd like to understand the high level game design and start working on the graphics backend.

    Are there good techniques to read a code which has almost zero comments and quite obscure class/funcs names?

    submitted by /u/duvh93
    [link] [comments]

    Math and professional game programming as a career: You only need to know certain specific things?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    I have seen some courses and books about math and game development, and noticed the following:

    They all focus on very specific topics.

    • Matrices.
    • System of equations.
    • Matrices transformation, multiplication, inverses, determinants.
    • System of equations.
    • Vectors.
    • Sine, Cosine and Tangent.
    • Circles and radians.
    • The Cartesian plane.
    • Quaternions. (I am not sure what part of math is this...it's not linear algebra. Would be nice if anyone could clarify).

    And...that's pretty much it.

    Is that seriously all (or most) math i need to be a professional game programmer?

    The field of math is very big and full of theorems, theorem corollaries, postulates, principles and etc. Are those truly not needed? I would like to know how much do professional game programmers need to remember and apply geometrical theorems and other more "formal" knowledge of math in their everyday work life.

    I am to be a professional game programmer and am studying in depth all the topics of geometry (theorems, postulates and PROVING said theorems), trigonometry and linear algebra, but i see only very small sections are actually used to do pretty much everything in games.

    submitted by /u/UnavailableUsername_
    [link] [comments]

    Going unheard

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    I do some concept art and writer for a small game dev team, and we're in the late stages of our first game. That being said, I still see a lot of issues, in models and layouts of maps and all of that. There's another member (they're more of a jackofalltrades type) who has gone to the extent of fully modelling some improved models and layouts, and I've done my best to pitch some design tips and suggestions and sketched up some improved concept designs. Problem is neither of us two are being listened to at all, or we get shut down before we even start, which is a major problem when it's a team of just six.

    Since this is our first project none of us are payed until the project is done and I feel like both of our talents are going to waste, ESPECIALLY the other person who are genuinely just amazing at the rate they get things done. Should we just cut our loses and let them keep the things we've made for them, or should we stick around until after the projects done?

    submitted by /u/UninspiredGarbo
    [link] [comments]

    Blender 2.91 Python API: How to keep addons compatible

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    Thoughts / Critiques on my Game Development Portfolio?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Hey all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this (if not, please let me know where I should post this). However, I'm about to begin looking for my first real job in game development, and I was wondering if you could take a look at my portfolio and let me know what you think? Any comments or critiques are very welcome. Thanks in advance!

    Portfolio site: https://calebcomptonportfolio.wordpress.com/

    submitted by /u/MrRempton
    [link] [comments]

    Weapons Master any ideas to improve our game, We really appreciate your feedback.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 11:08 AM PDT

    Hello game developers! I create sounds for games and am running a poll where I will create and give away a sound asset pack to the voting community. Choose between synth wave, light orchestral, forest ambience and xylophone music. Get the previous give away as well!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    Cannot find numbers on popular genres by region...

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Posted this on r/gamedesign too, so copypasta...

    Hello there!

    I'm doing a little paper on which game genre has how much market share in which region (North America, Europe, Middle East/MENA, Latin America) for PC and mobile... but for the life of me I cannot find a source that tells me something like:

    Europe>> PC: %25 rpg, %19 sports, %9 strategy %3 bla bla Mobile: %X %Y %Z

    North Am>> PC : %....

    MENA>>

    I've been looking for so long but it's either behind a pay wall, coming from 2015 or doesn't have percentages...

    Can anyone help a brother out here?

    submitted by /u/conejo_gordito
    [link] [comments]

    Animation data in numbers for compression purposes

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    during my second week of indie-game design i talk about spotting objects with raycasts, optimizing code and saving time on art.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    Literature on playtesting?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 06:34 AM PDT

    Dear fellow devs, do you know any literature playtesting? I'm looking for something akin to "Game design workshop: Designing, prototyping, & playtesting games" by Tracy Fullerton, but preferably with even more focus on game testing. I'll embrace any books, articles, blog posts, or any other texts you know on this subject!

    submitted by /u/CrysisTiger
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment