• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    What language is your favorite to code in? What language are you using the most? Ask Programming

    What language is your favorite to code in? What language are you using the most? Ask Programming


    What language is your favorite to code in? What language are you using the most?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:40 PM PDT

    Is there an app/browser/way to change scrolling webpages into static click through ones?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    Not sure if I'm in the right place so forgive me if so. Also unsure if this is possible but.. Is there a browser or app that can automatically change all scrolling web pages into static ones? For example that I could just click through pages instead?

    I feel like the scroll button keeps me on websites longer and I just end up looking at junk. It would be nice to be able to read more like a "book".

    submitted by /u/yung_fluff
    [link] [comments]

    dumb question

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    is coding in c# the same as java like i just need to learn one of them to use them both?

    submitted by /u/alonewithnoone
    [link] [comments]

    How do I reset a JavaScript function?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    I am creating a loop for a game that I coded in Javascript.

    The loop is currently like this:

    for(var gameruns = 0 ; gameruns < 10; gameruns++){
    for(var correctWords = 0; correctWords < 1; correctWords++){
    //display user's score
    topics.checkScore()
    //run GAME programme
    answeredWords.push(topics.check())
    //sanity check
    console.log(answeredWords)
    }
    }

    Currently all it does is continuously print the output of the topics.check() function.

    topics.check() is a function which accepts user inputs

    How do I make it such that the function topics.check() resets every loop so that the user can enter new inputs into the function?

    submitted by /u/MC11703
    [link] [comments]

    OOP vs Procedural Programming

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    Hello, I hope everyone is doing great. I started my programming course about 3 months ago and I have been really enjoying it. Last night while studying OOP I came across this Video and I became interested in this topic. I wanted to know what you guys think about procedural programming vs OOP. Is procedural programming really a more viable option, would it be more common in the future, and is it easier a simpler way to program than OOP.

    submitted by /u/SomethingWhicked
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding the concepts of servers and the backend

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    So I have some experience with python and java but am now looking into developing actual applications, like mobile apps. I have come across terms like firebase, AWS, MongoDB, and node.js. Can someone please differentiate what all these mean. Like for example, is firebase a backend server itself or some other backend entity that requires an actual server to function? And if I wanted to use python in the backend how/where exactly would my python script interact with the aforementioned services? Also, do all backends need to be through web servers specifically or can it be done through non-web servers? I'm pretty new to the concept of a backend so some of these questions might not make a lot of sense, thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/charbrinks
    [link] [comments]

    Assistance with finding the source for specific data on website

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Hey Ya'll - I am SO sorry if I have the programming language of a baby pigeon, but I know NOTHING.

    What I am trying to do is add the ER wait time for my hospital into the HTML of my e-mail signature so my patients know via our communications without having to figure out how to look it up; I want to pull the source of the information from the webpage and add the information (with live updates/time appropriate information) to the signature, however, I have no idea how to find the source of the data, nor how to write that piece of code/HTML.

    I am so sorry if what I just said is stupid, but can anyone help?

    The website:

    https://www.ochsner.org/services/emergency-services

    And the hospital is Saint Bernard.

    Thanks ya'll.

    submitted by /u/nolabitch
    [link] [comments]

    I need advice on this matter. Please help. Thanks alot!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    I hope someone can give me some advice and if this is the right channel to ask this question. First, I want to declare I am not against C#. Recently, I got a temporary job which I need it desperately because really I need the money. Now, I have told the interviewer that I wanted to do Java related project and I am concerned about this kind of organisations cos they are the type that somehow skewed towards C# and Microsoft products from my knowledge. So, I would thought they had taken note of my needs cos really I am at a age I can't diverge to another programming language and that Java is something that I want to stick to the rest of my life cos all these years I only touched Java, even though I must admit I am not good either. Now, I really need to use this temp opportunity to gain Java experience cos I never work or have the chance to learn real world projects from experts. Yesterday, I was told this really big Organization don't have any java projects. Now, I am not sure if this guy know what I have told the interviewer and even yesterday I told him his view was that C# is similar to Java. I really need this job because I really can't get any java job till now. What would you do ? If I go to the HR and asked if really there isn't any Java project I scare it will jeopardise my job cos I can't get any decent paying job here. I feel just so agonised over this problem. I hope someone out there will tell me what you will do to save yourself in this sticky situation. Tks a million.

    submitted by /u/tangara888
    [link] [comments]

    Uniform distribution of substrings in a string of bits

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:55 PM PDT

    If i have a 'good' PRNG which can generate me a good uniformly distributed 32-bit number, will any sub-slice of that 32-bit number also be good & uniformly distributed?

    For example, if I split the number into 4 bytes, will those 4 bytes all be uniformly distributed?

    Or, if I took each bit of that 32-bit number and treated it as a boolean, will all those booleans individually be good & uniformly distributed (assuming you're comparing the same section of the whole across multiple generations)

    submitted by /u/ipe369
    [link] [comments]

    Video streaming/database app - cross platform possible or nightmare?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    Would it be worth it budget-wise (hiring a team) to develop cross platform over native for an application that livestreams 1 way video using say twilio API, then storing the videos in a cloud database? Including a hand detection API like Banuba or Manomotion, profiles, messaging, video playback, analytics, chat, payment, etc. It gets to be a pretty beefy app.

    I've read countless articles that cross platform is only worth it for simple apps not accessing native features (eg camera and large data). I'm worried that working with a framework like flutter, RN or xamarin would end up being a bigger headache in development, performance and security than just going native and taking on 2x the cost/time. But in saying this, as a beefy app the savings in time/budget makes a huge difference if its viable.

    submitted by /u/Ostnic
    [link] [comments]

    Highly "Readable" Books Similar To Rob Miles' C# Yellow Book?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Hello, does anyone know of any technical books that have a similar atmosphere to the C# yellow book? I found Rob Miles' writing very easy to grasp, well-paced, funny and overall it was just an enjoyable read.

    I'd love to check out any recommendations you guys might have on programming books of a similar style. Doesn't have to be C# either. I'm just interested in anything that's well-written and will help me grow as a programmer.

    Thank you for any advice.

    (i skimmed the first few pages of Clean Code by Robert Cecil Martin and I'm thinking that might be my next read. Has anyone read this one?)

    submitted by /u/Preveler
    [link] [comments]

    JS - Declaration or statement expected.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:01 AM PDT

    so im trying to code a discord bot for something to do and try learn a bit of coding.. i have no idea what this means and cannot find any solutions that i can understand. any help is greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    https://gyazo.com/e16af4b9e0372b458bf0e24bf3dc5ee9

    submitted by /u/lawrencehenry
    [link] [comments]

    Efficient way to SUM() 1 column from 300 million rows

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:24 AM PDT

    I've got the need to run a SQL report that produces a few tables, one of the tables has around 300 million rows, I then need to do a SUM() on one of the columns.

    What can do this, I think writing out to a csv would be inefficient.

    I'm unsure even where to begin tackling this problem.

    submitted by /u/greenSacrifice
    [link] [comments]

    As a newbie -- what do you look for in a tutor/mentor?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    I'm starting to take 1-on-1 clients to teach them the fundamentals of programming.

    What topics have you struggled with as a new programmer? How did you best learn them?

    What should a tutor keep in mind for teaching newbies? Are new programmers willing to hire tutors to better help explain things in plain English? (Not a sales pitch, just getting input).

    submitted by /u/thePugalist
    [link] [comments]

    Question about basic REST API call between Raspberry Pi and my laptop

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:13 AM PDT

    Hi, so my current setup is running Linux, and I have created an HTTP server on the Raspberry Pi using Flask and have it running through a Docker container on there that runs on port 5001. When I try to send a basic POST call from my laptop to the Raspberry Pi, it is not working. Is this because the Raspberry Pi does not run through localhost:5001? I have also tried to call POST using the IP address of the RaspberryPi (i.e. 10.42.0.104:5001) but this does not also work. Thanks for all and any advice you guys have!

    When I try to run my Python client that calls this get command using the requests library on my laptop, I get this error message:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "client.py", line 4, in <module>
    response = requests.post("http://10.42.0.104:5001/forward", data = {})
    File "/home/lucas/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 119, in post
    return request('post', url, data=data, json=json, **kwargs)
    File "/home/lucas/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 61, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
    File "/home/lucas/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 530, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
    File "/home/lucas/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 643, in send
    r = adapter.send(request, **kwargs)
    File "/home/lucas/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/requests/adapters.py", line 516, in send
    raise ConnectionError(e, request=request)
    requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPConnectionPool(host='10.42.0.104', port=5001): Max retries exceeded with url: /forward (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f604e79c390>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 111] Connection refused',))

    submitted by /u/luc4bob
    [link] [comments]

    Where to begin learning lua?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I want to learn lua, and any of the tutorials were somewhat confusing. They also gave conflicting information on what id need to write and run it. What are some good tutorials? Whats the best text editor for lua? And is there anything else i need or should have?

    submitted by /u/matthewbvan
    [link] [comments]

    Can only reverse string once HELP (java)

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    Hey! For some reason my revList() void-method works one time but won't revert the list back the second time I use it. My int[] instance variable is named intList:

    relevant methods:

    public void reverseList(){

    int[] temp= new int[this.intList.length];

    for(int i=1;i<this.intList.length+1;i++){

    temp[(this.intList.length)-i]=i;

    }

    public String toString(){

    String temp = "";

    for(int i=0; i<this.intList.length; i++){

    temp=temp + intList[i]+ ", ";

    }

    return temp;

    }

    this.intList=temp;

    }

    main method:

    public static void main(String[] args){

    Learning t = new Learning("Coolyaya",22,10);

    t.fillList(); //fills the list with the integers correspondig to its index value

    System.out.println("name: " + t.name + "\nList: " + t.toString());

    System.out.println();

    t.reverseList();

    System.out.println("revList once test: " + t.toString());

    t.reverseList(); //this does nothing, the toString returns the same list

    System.out.println("revList twice test: " + t.toString());

    System.out.println();

    submitted by /u/Coolyaya
    [link] [comments]

    I need to handle 221k lines of text

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:01 AM PDT

    So, I have a little project of mine that I am working on. My problem is I have a 221k lines file that I need to loop through searching for very specific info. I can't decide whether to do it on python or C. I never did such thing and I don't know how out little guy py would do. It would be much simpler to do it with py but maybe way slower. C, on the other side, would be fast but complicated. What do yall think? can python do it in a reasonable time? Maybe with pypy I can do it fast?

    More information just for context: the file contains a lot of (I'm guessing) js objects (idk js so I don't think js would do)

    submitted by /u/_Lasagnaa_
    [link] [comments]

    If the processor speed and memory of computers had stopped increasing in the early 1980s and today's computers still had the same capabilities of the Commodore 64, how would software development have evolved? What would operating systems, applications, and user interfaces be like today?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:26 PM PDT

    Help?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    I've been asked a question for an assignment to doument a table of connections of the RAM chip using 3 data and 3 address inputs and a table of physical connections of the counter chip. My problem is I dont have a clue where to start as I dont know what that would look like as this is the first time hearing of this. So im asking if anyone here can point me somewhere where i can have a look at one or explain to me how I would go about making the table.

    (edit)

    Doing some more research I'm thinking they might mean a truth table still not 100% sure though

    submitted by /u/fvbby
    [link] [comments]

    How big is the software development tools market worldwide in 2020?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Are there any way to change window sounds through code?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:33 AM PDT

    I came across this article outlining the steps to change the sound of standard windows sounds like the device connection sound in this example.

    My question is if anyone knows if this is possible to do through code? If it is possible, it would most likely be through sending input to the command line.

    Any helpful ideas would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/AlmightyGroth
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript retrieve and put values inside an object

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    I'm trying to get the profile details of some users from my database through their usernames.

    for (var i = 0; i < this.all_data.length; i++){this.moduleGetUserProfileByUserName({ username: this.all_data[i].userCreated }.then(data => {this.user_data = data.data;
    console.log(this.user_data);});

    But I need to add the data that I am getting, to the same object the username came from, like this.all_data[i].UserData = this.user_data;but I cannot do this inside then because [i] is undefined, and I can't do it outside of moduleGetUserProfileByUserName because then it gets executed before user_data has any data.

    What's the correct way to go about this?

    submitted by /u/v13us0urce
    [link] [comments]

    I need help understanding user defined functions in C++

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 05:53 AM PDT

    I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of passing values and return values. I can't seem to find a detailed explanation. Can you suggest a site or link for this topic?

    submitted by /u/MomoKarma
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment