• Breaking News

    Friday, July 31, 2020

    How do I get good at CSS? web developers

    How do I get good at CSS? web developers


    How do I get good at CSS?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    I have started getting into web development recently and my biggest sticking point is CSS.

    Whenever I am working with CSS I am just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks until the page looks 'good enough'. I don't really feel like I know what the code is doing. The code is ugly and not very maintainable.

    How do I get from where I am now throwing crap against the wall to actually understanding CSS, making deliberate choices, and writing maintainable CSS? What are some resources that have helped those of you are adept with CSS along your path?

    submitted by /u/Few_Egg
    [link] [comments]

    Well, of course, I shouldn't be surprised to see a link to a careers page for devs here

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Well, of course, I shouldn't be surprised to see a link to a careers page for devs here

    I was on Nextdoor and having trouble uploading pics for something I'm selling so I popped open the console to see what was up and saw this. Gave me a chuckle. It makes perfect sense to put that there.

    https://preview.redd.it/eycafucje9e51.png?width=638&format=png&auto=webp&s=77eef228d0b319882396cc0398c83300e207148c

    submitted by /u/carlitoa
    [link] [comments]

    Free public API's that can be used in a web app?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 07:47 AM PDT

    I know most API's that are free still have request limits and possibly commercial use limitations. Are there any API's that I can just use freely in a website that gets a few thousand hits a day? The content doesn't matter as much, but I'm thinking along the lines of weather, stock market, covid-19 data, really anything. Sorry in advance if this is a stupid question.

    submitted by /u/helloreddits456464
    [link] [comments]

    How on earth do I display an SQL table in an html page using Node?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:51 PM PDT

    EDIT: this is localhost

    Basically the title, I need to display a table from mysql called "Users" onto an html page. This is the table: https://imgur.com/KD7TOOM

    However, I for the life of me can not figure out how to do it. I am able to successfully query data in my terminal and I even have a form an on html page which inserts data into the database with the click of a button. (This is the code): https://imgur.com/2AMKvPB and https://imgur.com/4pYNsJg

    I have put in this code, but it does not work and simply does not show up at all for some reason, doesn't display an error either:

    //html string that will be send to browser var reo ='<html><head><title>Node.js MySQL Select</title></head><body><h1>Node.js MySQL Select</h1>{${table}}</body></html>'; //sets and returns html table with results from sql select //Receives sql query and callback function to return the table function html(sql,cb){ pool.getConnection((err,con)=>{ if (err) throw err; con.query(sql,(err,res,cols)=>{ if(err) throw err; var table=""; for(var i=0;i<res.length;i++){ table += "<tr><td>"+(i+1)+"<tr><td>"+res[i].user_name+"</td></tr>"+res[i].user_number+"</td></tr>"; } table = "<table border='1'<tr><th>Name</th><th>Number</th></tr>"+table+"</table>"; con.release(); return cb(table); }); }); } let sql = "SELECT * FROM Users"; const server = http.createServer((req,res)=>{ html(sql,resql=>{ reo = reo.replace('{$table}}',resql); res.writeHead(200,{'Content-Type': 'text/html; charset=utf-8'}); res.write(reo,"utf-8"); res.end(); }); }); 

    I am absolutely lost and haven't the slightest idea how to display a sql table in a html page. I will gladly provide more details/context if asked for it. I have been stuck on this for many days in a row now and really need some help. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/seb69420
    [link] [comments]

    Coping with Back-end Development

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:33 PM PDT

    Hey guys!

    How do you deal with daily back-end challenges? For example, a front-end developer has the ability to check a website or a web app and inspect the components/styles to see how they are made. For back-end, everything seems hard to inspect and to analyze how they work. The only thing I can check is the request/response payload, which doesn't get me that far.

    submitted by /u/tranetags
    [link] [comments]

    Why are links in this news ticker unclickable?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    This site, I wrote this news ticker, the links are clickable on every page except the homepage, why is that?

    Everything was fine when I used marquee tag but now I rewrote it in CSS since that tag is deprecated and that happened.

    submitted by /u/lynob
    [link] [comments]

    Are push notifications really actually a big thing?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:17 PM PDT

    I don't think I ever pay attention to the "enable push notifications?" box that pops up. I get enough notifications thanks. There are probably a couple instances where it would actually be useful for me but I can't think of any examples. Important notifications are usually sent by text and/or email anyways. Am I missing something? Are push notifications useful for you?

    submitted by /u/ahpto
    [link] [comments]

    What languages might I be using for mobile development?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:31 AM PDT

    I just found out that I'll be on the mobile development team when I start work next week but have no experience in that area, anyone know how I might prepare a little before then? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/bipolarpug
    [link] [comments]

    Doing Research and Giving Estimates on Builds

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Hello, I work for a company doing some web work. I am pretty new in the field and I am constantly learning new things. However, there are often times where I am asked to do research and give an estimate on how long a task will be. Often though, these tasks will be something that I have never done or have tried to do before. I feel sometimes like the only way to know how long a task will take is by actually starting to dive into it and that sometimes researching if a task can be completed takes as long as actually just jumping in and just trying to do it.

    Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone with more experience know how to navigate this issue?

    submitted by /u/xchernx
    [link] [comments]

    Useful Android Apps for Web Developers

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Hello, I have bought today my first tablet and I would like to know if there are any useful apps.

    I have installed Github so far, is there an app similar to Postman, or something to debug APIs and websites?

    I got myself an Samsung Tab S6 Lite and I wonder if there are any apps with infinite paper size like draw.io

    submitted by /u/BotDamian
    [link] [comments]

    SendGrid alternatives that are affordable and on a dedicated IP?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 02:50 PM PDT

    I run a free language learning service and I use sendgrid to send out new notifications and verification links. Unfortunately hotmail, outlook, live all seem to be blocking emails like account verification emails.

    I talked to support and they told me that most likely someone from the pool caused the mail servers to block the shared IP. They suggested I get their dedicated plan ($89) and they offered a discount. While I am very grateful for their kindness for the discount, unfortunately it's still too much for me to be able to afford. So I am hoping there is an alternative service. I send anywhere from about ~1000-5000 emails per day. I am hoping it can be within the $20/monthly range, but I am worried that it might be a big stretch for a dedicated IP.

    I know I can set up my own mail server, but it seems it's very difficult to maintain and not recommended.

    Can you guys please guide me in the right direction? Thank you

    submitted by /u/MrPiethon
    [link] [comments]

    REST API

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:28 PM PDT

    I want to make a REST API as a part of a personal project, but I'm not really sure what to make. It seems like it's more of a thing you would do at a company that has real data. Does anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/garammasala123
    [link] [comments]

    Suggest the best approach

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    Hi there
    I'm a 41yo newbie in web dev, literally learning html/css right now, starting from the basics. I can make a basic website with Wordpress and builder because I'm more a visual person, coming from a graphic design related work.

    I want to make a website, I'd charge a monthly fee to customers/members, they can have their "own" page or microsite as a subdomain of mine, they are gonna have a catalog with their products there, so some sort of online store but with no payment gateway or anything yet, let's say digital catalog kinda thing. Need to create a register, login, dashboard and page for that user.

    If I can get away making it with Wordpress, much better, so I can still learning as I go. If not, it would be helpful if someone pointed my in the right direction to look for information. Don't send me to learn, I'm onto that already, but also not asking to be spoon fed, just directions. English is not my primary language, so some terms might escape me and not knowing what you need to research is pretty bad.

    Thanks folks ! ;)

    submitted by /u/puntadigital
    [link] [comments]

    Some javascript particles animation website templates (VanillaJS, ReactJS, VueJS, Angular)

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    Social Media Followers API (?)

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Our company is looking for an API to get the number of social media followers a registered user has.

    We've looked into donReach Social API. However, it seems that API has been discontinued.

    Do you know of any other services that provide such a service?

    Any support is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ineedhelpcoding
    [link] [comments]

    Simple hidden input as captcha

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:40 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm creating a site that cannot use the Google captcha, so I'm planning on doing a simple one on my own. I've heard that a hidden input that is meant to be empty can serve as a barrier for bots. Meaning if the input, which is not seen on screen, gets a value, the form will not submit.

    Does anyone have an opinion on this? I think it's going to hurt accessibility. I first heard about this on Syntax FM.

    submitted by /u/JonathanMaarsh
    [link] [comments]

    How do apps like PocketPoints provide restaurants with scannable codes that can be used for discounts at a restaurant (one time use)? Ex. user claims reward, shows the code to cashier, they scan it and redeem their discount

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    How do apps like PocketPoints provide restaurants with scannable codes that can be used for discounts at a restaurant (one time use)? Ex. user claims reward, shows the code to cashier, they scan it and redeem their discount.

    submitted by /u/pinnokeyo
    [link] [comments]

    Removing non visible views from the DOM while still being able to alter their state

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    Learning javscript. So far not applying any front-end. What's up?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Hey guy,

    I've been taking courses on front-end development. So far I've taken courses in HTML/CSS, Sass, and bootstrap. Now I'm on to Mosh's javascript course. It looks like this entire course takes place in the console. At what point does javascript start applying to front-end development? Am I taking a theory course when there's practical courses I should be taking?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/postaljives
    [link] [comments]

    Upload-friendly image gallery advice

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    I'm fairly new and have been teaching myself. I'm starting my first project for a friend. He posts art on a twitter account and I need to make a website with a gallery that he will be able to easily update with images going forward with minimal (ideally no) maintenance from me.

    I've been looking into gallery options that will be easy for him to upload images to. I've looked into a few, and have created a proof-of-concept using Juicebox. I don't think the complexity of it will be too much for him, but I'm concerned by the need to re-upload every image when you add to the gallery. This can work, but I just have a feeling there is something better out there and my google-fu is failing me.

    Anyone have any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/BraverXIII
    [link] [comments]

    How do you code design you get from web designer

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:42 AM PDT

    Are you doing it pixel perfect or you do it to look as close as you can but without super precision over pixels ?

    submitted by /u/btckernel94
    [link] [comments]

    Should I use GraphQL or rest? In which cases should I use them?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 12:50 AM PDT

    Should I use GraphQL or rest? In which cases should I use them? I'm using django as my backend and react as my frontend , (I'm a beginner and I don't have to worry about getting a job or something)

    Edit: GraphQL seems easier to use

    submitted by /u/L_N_G_T
    [link] [comments]

    Data Structures You Should Know as a JavaScript Developer

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    LCP with a large header image? Is it possible to achieve a good score?

    Posted: 31 Jul 2020 05:35 AM PDT

    I'm down to the last issue with my page speed insights / Lighthouse report: LCP. I have large header images at the top of each of my articles (1128x635). Despite being served via webp on a CDN with multiple sizes, Google still insists that my LCP on mobile is > 4.0 sec due to these images (I believe Lighthouse throttles the connection).

    Is it even possible to achieve a low LCP with a large image at the top of an article? I don't want to give up the aesthetics of having this image, but I'm also somewhat obsessed with getting > 90% score on all my pages...

    submitted by /u/inZania
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment