• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 21, 2020

    Hey guys, I run a FREE tutorial platform where professional artists can come and share their knowledge with the community. This week Fabio stops by and shows us how you can create your own Stylized Weapons in any software! Come check it out and let me know what you think!

    Hey guys, I run a FREE tutorial platform where professional artists can come and share their knowledge with the community. This week Fabio stops by and shows us how you can create your own Stylized Weapons in any software! Come check it out and let me know what you think!


    Hey guys, I run a FREE tutorial platform where professional artists can come and share their knowledge with the community. This week Fabio stops by and shows us how you can create your own Stylized Weapons in any software! Come check it out and let me know what you think!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:28 AM PDT

    Simple level design trick that saves me hours

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:57 AM PDT

    Simple level design trick that saves me hours

    https://preview.redd.it/auj0y1qv58c51.jpg?width=1143&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=0f141403afe2639144bba8335cefe12bbf400d41

    It's a stupid simple tip and basically story-boarding the scene but I was surprised when talking to a few indie friends how few were actually doing it.

    • Plot out interesting bits of the scene, especially the major pathways.
    • Measure the time it takes to travel between your POI (points of interest) to adjust early
    • Keep the distance somewhere around 5 to 10 seconds if your solo to just keep workload manageable and give you time to make denser more engaging scenes instead of vast wastelands that players can accidentally get off track and lost.

    A lot of these tips honestly I got from an old teacher back in the day with grey boxing but it seems many forget to-do it in more story narrative games. I also saw these rules in action when watching the NoClip doc on "Designing the world of Witcher 3" which mentioned around timestamp: 4:25-ish their internal rule of thumb of "40 seconds" between engaging stuff while traveling but they were a massive team and massive openworld game so for us solo devs smaller, shorter, denser worlds xD

    I also add decoration/things-to-try in different colors & groups then hide them from the scene to just brain dump them and get them out of what I'm trying to accomplish at the moment. If I like the idea still 3 hours later into level designing I'll tackle it then xD

    submitted by /u/MarcHewitt
    [link] [comments]

    Was the Steam Summer Festival worth it?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    On our latest podcast we discuss whether it's time we raised the $60 price tag on video games.

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:00 AM PDT

    Before I joined the games industry, I was fascinated about how the "sausage was made," so I started a podcast with a couple of my friends from the industry where we try to give an insider's perspective on how games are made.

    Last night we recorded an episode where we discussed whether it makes sense for games to still cost around $60 - a price tag that hasn't changed in fifteen years. Check it out at https://youtu.be/cuF4T5TmpXY

    There are plenty of interesting factors to why this is the case, and whether it's a fair price point. 60 USD in 2005 corresponds to 80 USD today, so the cost of games, relative to the consumer price index has dropped. And the cost of developing games have skyrocketed, with an average tenfold increase over a decade.

    So should games cost more?

    submitted by /u/hsjunnesson
    [link] [comments]

    Look that! ARE YOU IN LISBON?‬ ‪#GameJam in #Lisbon!‬ ‪Let’s do it guys! Come with me and let’s make a good games to this global jam!‬ ‪Just if you are in Lisbon or look your city! ‪send a message to me o/ https://www.instagram.com/p/CCrv1TYndhF/?igshid=v5x8ynhz6bfo‬

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    I want to make a game like Pokken Tournament in Unreal 4

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:19 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm interested in making a fighting game like Pokken Tournament in Unreal 4 where the game play is less traditional and follows the shift phase format of Pokken. There are tutorials for making 2d fighting games on Youtube but I was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips or tutorials for what I'm trying to do.

    Thank you for your time

    submitted by /u/nephilimashura
    [link] [comments]

    You guys were so helpful to me last week.This community is welcoming. I have a question about figure models

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    So I've been doing some basic tutorials bouncing between Unity and Unreal for like a week or so.

    If I wanted to make some super basic poly figures that I could use in games how would I go about doing that?

    If I'm being honest, I want to make a cat.

    submitted by /u/VeganDrake
    [link] [comments]

    How to make guns feel right in a 2D adventure platformer?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:13 AM PDT

    I'm making a 2D adventure platformer game. I was thinking of giving the main character a pistol to use. For platformers, what do you think is the best way to handle guns? Things such as bullets being infinite or should there be ammo? How does aiming work? Like do I create a few different aiming sprites or is there a better way? Any advice would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Magical_Legends
    [link] [comments]

    Why are there not more mobile RTS games?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    I have played clash of clans which is fairly popular, and that game does have some RTS elements but there's not really any micro. I was wondering why you all think there were not more examples of micro based movements on mobile. Do you think it is more because it's difficult to have touch inputs be accurate enough to control units? Would it be possible to have normal RTS micro in maybe a 5-10 unit battle? Curious of your thoughts and your examples if there are mobile rts games I am just not aware of.

    submitted by /u/PMacDev
    [link] [comments]

    Question: using abandonware assets for free games

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    With modern game engines, creating assets is by far the majority of work.

    Using pre-existing assets isn't a perfectly ideal situation, but it still can lead to very passable and ok-ish results while saving a mountain of either work or money.

    It can also be much more preferable for prototyping or just to see if experimental ideas do work out without investing too much into them.

    Now of course there is a huge issue with abandonware assets: anyone owning copyright claims can come along and cash in on your work, even beyond that suck on your personal money. They can ban your game too, unless you get rid of all the assets that have claims on them.

    But that doesn't seem to be such a bad risk to take, if the game doesn't produce any revenue anyway and the authors are too poor to lose much of anything.

    I don't know really how copyright litigations work, but I don't think you can exactly sue some kid humming the melody from a 70s song in public, for thousands of dollars, without arguing somehow that this copyright infringement (yes it really is copyright infringement and a lot of countries have no fair-use laws) did also result in damages and/or profit.

    So even if the authors aren't dead poor, then how do you argue damages or profit from a free game using assets from a dead game that will never sell again.

    Let's say you take assets from some lesser known 1995 game, like really 90% of the assets are used in your game. But they are blurry anyway, hard to recognize. You also run everything through filters, to make it more modern or whatever. You make a free game, it gets downloaded like 50,000 times ever, which is already a lot to expect nowadays.

    First, and this already seems totally outlandish and improbable: someone has to recognize the assets and then they also have to have the audacity to complain to whoever owns the copyright claims to them - which is often if not always totally mysterious in abandonware. So even if they tried really hard, they just couldn't figure out who owns the copyright.

    Either this way, or you get discovered by IP agencies that screen new games. But firstly, there are 20,000 new games released every year. Your game is just a small fish in a giant sea. And secondly, why would any copyright parasite in their right mind make the effort to screen free games you can't really cash in on? It is a waste of their resources. It seems even more improbable.

    So, using abandonware assets really seems to be an excellent idea if you put some thought into it.

    But of course, to minimize risks it would be great if someone could give some insights into how copyright law(suits) work and perhaps it is possible to figure out which kind of abandonware is best suited and least targeted.

    submitted by /u/ballerburg9005
    [link] [comments]

    Music as an unforgettable signature of a game

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:36 AM PDT

    What steps do you have to make to come to a masterpiece like this one?

    Does that happen accidentally? Even a recognized talent would have trouble delivering great music on a regular basis. More importantly, how to deliver great music cheaply, without endangering the budget of your game?

    submitted by /u/FeralReason
    [link] [comments]

    So, do developers usually search for someone to write music?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    Hi gamedev community,

    I'm a musician that would like to start music for videogames. I thought that probably I would need a portfolio if I want to aim for the big ones in the industry. So my question is: do beginners or more indie developers look for someone to write music for them? Are you more use to looking for already made music on the internet?

    Thanks for the attention guys

    submitted by /u/juanlavorano
    [link] [comments]

    Game Development Survey

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:28 AM PDT

    JetBrains is conducting some research into Game Development. If you have relevant experience, we would be very grateful if you could complete this short survey. The results will be published for everyone in a couple of months.

    submitted by /u/anastasiak2512
    [link] [comments]

    Sunny Side Hiring

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:26 AM PDT

    hello i am trying to make a 2d platformer shooting game with my friend we need a game designer, help with story telling, and an extra programer this is our discord https://discord.gg/jyh6qh

    submitted by /u/horceboy
    [link] [comments]

    I just created a tutorial for a 2D platforming bot! Little guy jumps across platforms and uses breadth first search to find its path!

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:25 AM PDT

    Bitmap fonts for dummies?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 11:02 AM PDT

    Hi, hope this is where I should write this...

    I've got two very simple 8x8 and 16x16 fonts, which I'd like to turn into TTF fonts. The problem is I have no experience with this and googling has several results, some which I tried and got overwhelmed by.

    I have no experience with making fonts. Any advice?

    submitted by /u/hickoryqualm
    [link] [comments]

    https://youtu.be/JW0ylzmRBTE

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Does anyone have an experience with Rupie?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 10:24 AM PDT

    I'm currently looking for work and Reddit promoted a website called Rupie for freelance game development. Can anyone discuss their experiences positive or negative?

    submitted by /u/PaleJudge
    [link] [comments]

    How to show off my portfolio ?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    Hey, I aspire to work in the gaming industry, level design specifically and wondering how I could show off my portfolio. Should I take screenshots of the levels I created? Make some sort of video? Or bring my PC to display the levels directly on the engines?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Magiister
    [link] [comments]

    Shut up and take my money, or, why does Steam make game discovery so damn hard?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:50 AM PDT

    What types of facial rigs are common in game dev?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    Hey guys, im a senior now in my school working on my thesis for the next year and am going to be designing several characters, weapons, a couple environments, and some modular weapon packs.

    Anyway, I am trying to figure out where I go for face rigs, I can create some fairly complex blendshape ui or dot driven rigs and am working on joint driven (currently not set driven keyed) rigs.

    I dont intent to use ribbons at the moment because I am not going for a cartoony esque rig but that may change.

    So I guess what kind of facial rigs do games currently use? Blendshapes would be very heavy for a game engine in my opinion, and I wonder about the dynamics of a purely joint driven rig.

    Anyone have some experience here or know of some articles/forums or blogs? I can only find stuff from like 2013 or so

    submitted by /u/TraumaticPuddle
    [link] [comments]

    New Accordion in my pirate indie game. What other pirate-y stuff could I add? (ships, hooks, drinks and sharks are implemented, eyepatches and peg legs are not)

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    Trying to create a quiz game, similar to Jeopardy, but with one game mechanic that allows for players to steal points

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 09:18 AM PDT

    So I'm designing a game right now. It's a quiz game, so it's best for you to imagine Jeopardy. Trying to implement a mechanic midway through the quiz game, to balance out the score, and to allow other players to catch up and "steal" some of the points from the higher player points as a balancing agent.

    I've thought about introducing speed round questions, where lower point players can run through questions, letting them catch up to higher player questions, but also could risk losing even more points, so it's a gamble as to whether they'd like to do this at all.

    Or introducing "power-ups" that allow people to sabotage other people's turns like "make someone lose double points" or "link to a player so that if he loses/gain points, you do so too" or "cut someone's answer time by half"

    Or straight up just give advantage to lower score players, like a wheel that could give them a bunch of points.

    What do you guys think? It's hard to balance fairness and competitiveness.

    submitted by /u/Towlss
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment