• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 22, 2020

    Facebook knows immediately when you go offline, how do they do this? No way this is from polling web developers

    Facebook knows immediately when you go offline, how do they do this? No way this is from polling web developers


    Facebook knows immediately when you go offline, how do they do this? No way this is from polling

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:16 AM PDT

    Javascript fundamentals

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:46 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I recently began an effort to re-learn javascript after a 4 year hiatus. I put together a fundamental video I thought may be useful for new developers or even experienced ones.

    Video is available here: https://youtu.be/eXQom29T5I8

    Feedback welcome! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lockstepgo
    [link] [comments]

    Full Guide to Website Accessibility and ADA Compliance

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:58 AM PDT

    How do you host your little side projects?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:43 PM PDT

    As an undergrad CS student I come up with a lot of little projects PWA and SPAs. I don't expect a revenue so I am not planning to pay anything for web hosting.

    I am currently using github pages, what alternatives do I have preferably with clean urls.

    submitted by /u/Enguzelharf
    [link] [comments]

    In your experience what categories of small businesses usually are in need of web services and dont always have them?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    Starting to do business cards and call up/walk into small businesses to speak to managers and owners about setting up any web services they may need.

    Theres a LOT of businesses in the large city I am in and I'm inexperienced so I'm definitely going to go to all sorts of businesses.

    I guess the best way would be to the look up the businesses online and if they dont have web services just make an excel of those businesses and talk to them first.

    submitted by /u/alienalgen94
    [link] [comments]

    MineSweeper implemented in CSS + HTML using the Space Toggle trick (no JavaScript!)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:09 PM PDT

    The Horrifically Dystopian World of Software Engineering Interviews

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:01 PM PDT

    Is a coding bootcamp worth the money?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    I'm currently wrapping up an associate's in software dev, but I've been given the opportunity to take a full web development course at a coding bootcamp for $3,500, which is down 10k from the normal price due to the CARES act. I want to get into front-end dev once I graduate. Do you think it's worth paying $3500 to learn vanilla JS, React, Bootstrap, PostgreSQL, and some UX/UI design? By the time I graduate, I will only have taken one web dev class and another that touches on JS.

    submitted by /u/cascararara
    [link] [comments]

    Why is this happening with my UI? Only happens in Brave browser when there isn't a download in queue.

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:10 PM PDT

    Top tips for a newb?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 03:52 PM PDT

    Hi all.

    Used to use HTML and CSS on MySpace but haven't used either since that died. Recently binged my way through a learn coding app Mimo.

    I started with Python, then Web dev, so covered HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Python and JavaScript took my head a bit of effort to figure out and I kind of feel that towards the end I bluffed my way through the answers towards the end a bit. I do feel I've learned a lot but not enough - yet.

    What are your top tips for someone learning these languages? looking for practical ways to remember syntax really. Not study skills or 'buy strong coffee' sort of responses.

    Like when do you know to use " " around something, When do you know a colon or equals is needed? When do you know a semi colon is needed? How do we know brackets are needed?

    There has to be rules, but they weren't so clear.

    I don't think my questions should reflect on Mimo. I thought it was a well put together app and covered pretty much everything I'd want to do with a site.

    submitted by /u/Burn_and_a_Biscuit
    [link] [comments]

    Text-Editors/IDE

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    I see a lot of people using Sublime, Atom, and Visual Studio. I myself use Atom to be fair, but I also have XCode installed on my Mac as that's what I used for my first C programming course two semesters ago. Should I consider using XCode for web development purposes (Primarily RoR w/React ~ TS frontend) Or can I just get rid of it since it's so bulky?

    submitted by /u/CodaDev
    [link] [comments]

    What tool do you use for a user to be able to switch the website to any language of choice but allows you to choose the languages available?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Looking to have a good tool that let's users change the language of my webpages to a list of languages that I get to choose or arrange.

    submitted by /u/alienalgen94
    [link] [comments]

    How to build a landing page similar to Stripe on Wordpress?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Stripe has such a beautiful website and it's been used as the inspiration for many tech websites. I'd like to see where I can find a free theme for Wordpress to generate a site that's similar to Stripe (or even other tech startups). They all have a certain style that I can't put in words but it looks very clean and modern with vivid colors.

    submitted by /u/CompEngineer2020
    [link] [comments]

    My static website (built with Gatsby/React, hosted on netlify) is extremely slow, with a very poor lighthouse and PageSpeed Insights scores. What did I do wrong? How can I fix this?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    Hi! I am trying to port my react app to gatsby, hoping that it will improve performance. Unfortunately, right now it's working way slower than the original app (that was simply using webpack to put all the pages into one huge js bundle), and it's getting worse google/lighthouse performance scores.

    Here's the website experiencing the problem:

    https://playmirage.netlify.app/character-sheet

    Lighthouse score is 41, first contentful paint - 5.5s.

    Google PageSpeed Insights - score is 72. First contentful paint - 2.6s.

    Here's the link to the report.

    Here are the issues PageSpeed Insights and Lighthouse told me about:

    • Ensure text remains visible during webfont load -1.5s

    Apparently it takes a long time to load my fonts? I'm loading them from static files, not from google, shouldn't that be faster? There are only a couple of fonts. What did I do wrong, how do I fix this?

    • Minimize main-thread work - 3.6s

    Consider reducing the time spent parsing, compiling and executing JS. You may find delivering smaller JS payloads helps with this.

    I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I'm just making a react app, maybe it's not the smallest one, but it's not that gigantic, it shouldn't be too horrible, I'm not sure what slows it down so much.

    • Remove unused JavaScript - 1.05 s

    Remove unused JavaScript to reduce bytes consumed by network activity. If you are not server-side rendering, split your JavaScript bundles with React.lazy(). Otherwise, code-split using a third-party library such as loadable-components.

    Isn't gatsby supposed to take care of that? As far as I understand, it's automatically splitting the code and doing server-side rendering. If I load the page with javascript disabled - it renders just fine, so it did prerender something. Why does google think that for the first few seconds my page is blank?

    • Reduce initial server response time - 0.71s

    This is a static site hosted on netlify. Why would it be slow? How can fix that?

    Can you please help me out? I really want to make my website fast, but I'm stuck, I'm not sure how to fix these issues.

    Link to the source code:

    https://github.com/raymestalez/mirage-gatsby/

    submitted by /u/lumenwrites
    [link] [comments]

    Whats your go to authentication method for a fullstack app? (JWTs with refresh, sessions, etc)

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 06:40 PM PDT

    Say you were building a full stack application with a decoupled frontend and backend (React + Django, React + Express etc), in what way would you implement authentication and why?

    submitted by /u/niix1
    [link] [comments]

    How to create a Playlist (see comment)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    Sanity Check on App Idea (Front End Advise)

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 12:22 PM PDT

    I want to be able to track my stock option trades in something more than excel. I found some web apps that will do this, but they cost more monthly than I can justify considering I'm just a small time trader.

    I have some experience with coding (C++, Jave, some HTML & CSS, etc) and thought it would be a neat project to try and do myself. My general idea is that each trade will be a db entry with various data points about the trade (entry date, exit date, open price, close price, etc). I could then pull that data, do some math on it (profit/loss on the trade, length of trade, win percentages, etc) and display it in a pretty manner. I currently have a Turnkey Lamp VM setup and a test site that can take some input from a form and store it in a db, then retrieve said data from the db and display it. I do this with a few simply php pages and MariaDB.

    I'm now looking at some frontend frameworks and see React and Vue thrown around a lot. Before I invest the time to learn either of these I just wanted to check and make sure that I would be able to pull the data with php from the mariadb and then use whichever front end to display in a nice way. And if I'm correct in that I would gladly take any suggestion on which one to use.

    The site would just be for me and won't be linked to any bank or brokerage accounts. Simply a manual entry sort of like a trade journal. I would want some kind of log in though so I could access the site from outside my local network. I have various other web apps hosted on a windows machine and my synology nas, mostly Plex and various apps to support it, so I think I could manage the hosting and routing and all that.

    Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/OnceWasPerfect
    [link] [comments]

    How Google does Design Docs

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    How many of you know deep down that the team is working on something that no customer wants?

    Posted: 21 Jul 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    Build a IoT Smart Fan from Scratch with an Arduino and Node.js

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:55 AM PDT

    Hello all,

    I recently had an idea to create a smart house for myself. So I bought an Arduino and I've been playing around with motors, LEDs, smart cameras, sensors, and much more. It's remarkably easy to get up and running with an Arduino and I had a chance to do an hour live stream of me making an IoT Smart Fan.

    Part 1: https://youtu.be/WahfadiDbLs

    Part 2: https://youtu.be/Cpae4oatBF4

    In the video, I strip the wiring for a MicroUSB fan and solder two wires to the fan. Then, I follow the Johnny-Five schematics to connect to a simple Node.js/Express.js server. Finally, I allow my viewers to follow along via the Livestream to turn on and off the fan (from Morocco and Nigeria!). If you guys have any interest in future content pertaining to IoT devices let me know!

    submitted by /u/Thunder_Cats_Hoe
    [link] [comments]

    Protect your dev server

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    What technology should I use to work with and update data in a table without refreshing a page?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:23 AM PDT

    So, I want a few text fields and a button. When I fill out those fields and click the button some calculations will be ran and a table will display my results.

    Without refreshing the page, I'd like to be able to 1.) clear the data 2.) update and redisplay the data

    Is this possible to do?

    Sorry its really vague. I don't have much experience with javascript so I don't know the lingo.

    submitted by /u/VanillaGuy22
    [link] [comments]

    How to implement modal based filter?!

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    Any multi-Select component with autocomplete?

    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    I am looking for a snippet or library for multi-select with an option for auto-complete. This is quite good, but I need the search to be in the same field and not separate and I wish for library/component to be easily editable to make some changes

    https://www.cssscript.com/multi-select-autocomplete-selectpure/

    submitted by /u/Jay087
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment