• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    Are there standardized names for these conventional GUI icons? Ask Programming

    Are there standardized names for these conventional GUI icons? Ask Programming


    Are there standardized names for these conventional GUI icons?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    In particular,
    - the icon that looks like a gear, which often opens a settings or preferences menu
    - the icon with three dots like an ellipsis, which often displays additional options for user actions
    - the icon that looks like stack of bars, which often opens a menu tree

    submitted by /u/harmlesshumanist
    [link] [comments]

    [Serious] If you had access to a large number of Mac Pros (~100-1000) what would you do with them?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    A little bit of a quandry here for someone I know.

    If you had a large number of Mac Pros accessible remotely, what would you use them for?

    It can be anything, an app that is being built, machine learning, open source? Give me ideas please.

    PS: Selling is not an option.

    submitted by /u/anaccountant2b
    [link] [comments]

    Define Front End and Back End

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:15 PM PDT

    I am confused on these definitions.

    Here's my take:

    Front end: technologies like html, css, JS. Basic looks, styling, simple JS.

    Backend: technologies like Vue, SQL, Node, React. Backend JavaScript frame works and databases. Server stuff.

    More specifically, is JavaScript front end, backend, or both?

    submitted by /u/FAKENAME381
    [link] [comments]

    Python Record Desktop Audio

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:50 PM PDT

    Hi all, tearing my hair out over this one. My knowledge of programming is fairly surface level and I'm having some trouble finding a way to record my desktop audio using Python. PyAudio can record from input devices, but not output devices, and other libraries I have looked at seem to be unable to read back the stream the way pyaudio does. All I really need to do is access the stream that my computer is sending to my headphones.

    I don't have my heart set on Python, if there is another language that would suit my needs better I am completely open to switching, it would just be nice if it was in Python so I didnt have to rewrite the surrounding code.

    submitted by /u/Retroroid
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you drop projects/know when to drop a project?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    Just a general question here. I've been working on an app in my free time for about three months now, and am 75% of so done. Or so I thought, until today, which is when I realized I needed to rewrite my entire backend to account for my API's quota limit. I had plans to release this as my first app on the App Store, but am beginning to feel pretty discouraged. I've built a ton of technical debt up, but I hate the idea of dropping a project I've worked so long on. At the same time, I have other projects I'd much rather work on, but leaving this project would leave a sour taste in my mouth. For me personally, I always finish projects, but am never happy with how they turn out.

    What are some other people's thoughts? How often do you drop projects, if ever? How do you know when enough is enough?

    submitted by /u/sydthecoderkid
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring Web Development Agency

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    I'm looking to hire a web development agency. Any advice or tips? The website I'm creating has the similar concept to patreon, where content creators post exclusive content for subscribers only. I'm interested in hiring Syrinx. If you have heard of them, I would love to hear more about them. Also, if you have any referrals of development agencies that would be very helpful!

    submitted by /u/dsteindl25
    [link] [comments]

    Personal project - Do I need to be concerned with getting hacked?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm making a project with React & Spring Boot for my software developer resume.

    I want to have register/login with username and password and then store data for each user. I was planning on using something like the free Google Cloud for the server. My friend told me that I should be concerned with laws pertaining to protecting user data and that if the website got hacked, then I could get in trouble. Is this a real concern?

    submitted by /u/hologram16
    [link] [comments]

    [JUCE]Why do we need AudioFormatReaderSource rather than just use AudioTransportSource to read what AudioFormatReader gets and control its playback?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    the AudioFormatReaderSource class for reading and playing audio from AudioFormatReader objects; and the AudioTransportSource class for controlling the playback of an AudioFormatReaderSource object.

    submitted by /u/JacksonSteel
    [link] [comments]

    What general books are worth reading these days?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:20 PM PDT

    I have an old version of the pragmatic programmer and code complete, but never read them. Are they worth reading? Are there other books worth reading? I'm a rounded developer with a focus in SQL related tasks if that helps.

    submitted by /u/embrex104
    [link] [comments]

    Need help creating a c# code

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:19 PM PDT

    Hey guys, i know that is a kind dumb, but, i'm playing a game with a friend, who say something first at 00:00 in whatsapp, so i thinked, i can make a program in c# for sending "enter" when windows time is 00:00, but i actually dont exactly how to do it, help pls

    submitted by /u/DroneN1456
    [link] [comments]

    Computer Science/Engineering or Related Podcasts?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is against the rules, I couldn't find them, so I apologize if it is.

    Does anyone out there have any good podcasts that revolve around anything Comp Sci/Comp Eng related topics or just interesting tech in general? I've been driving a lot lately for my job and have been looking for good things to listen to. Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/MikePenceDiddledMe
    [link] [comments]

    Service to Business layer question

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    I'm refactoring an existing application that has a presentation layer, service layer, and a business layer. (The business layer has some EntityFramework decorations and serves as the data access layer too, but that's a different discussion).

    One of the problems with the service layer now is that some —most— of the updating goes on there. For example, given a class Automobile

    public class Automobile { string Make { get; set; } string Model { get; set; } int Year { get; set; } } 

    You might have a service layer method to update it like:

    public void UpdateAutomobile(AutomobileVM vm){ Automobile a = //get existing from db a.Make = vm.Make; a.Model = vm.Model; a.Year = vm.Year; //dB.Save(a); } 

    There are rules on what makes and models can go together, the minimum number year can be, etc. I think it makes the most sense to move that to the business layer by setting the property mutators as private and creating methods to accept proposed values, checking them, then updating. As an example:

    public string Make { get; private set; } public void UpdateMake(string newMake) { //throw exception if newMake is empty //throw exception is newMake is rule violation Make = newMake; } 

    So this works fine. My problem is when I'm using classes with 20 or more properties. This becomes cumbersome. I've considered something like this in the service layer:

    public void UpdateAutomobile(vm) { Automobile a = //get existing from dB Automobile newAuto = //convert vm to business model a.Update(newAuto); //dB.Save(a) } 

    That would encapsulate any future changes away from the service layer, but asking my Automobile class to accept a type of Automobile to update itself feels...wrong? Is there a better way to go about this? My actual code isn't quite as trivial as this mythical Automobile class or I would just use constructors lol

    submitted by /u/Direct-Machine
    [link] [comments]

    Is it OK to use abbreviated words in a git commit message?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 07:48 PM PDT

    There is a guideline for git commit messages that states that they should avoid being longer than 50 chars long, 72 at most. At the other hand, we are also instructed to write meaningful commit messages that make the git log command easier to read and comprehend the project history. What I am trying to ask here is this: can I ever use abbreviations of words to shorten the title of my commit messages? What of the two following commit message titles are preferable?

    "Write docstrings for do_something in a_file.py and minor documentation changes" "Write docs for do_something in a_file.py & minor changes" 

    How would you write this commit message?

    submitted by /u/kakazao3
    [link] [comments]

    A quick question about where to start.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    Hello , thank you for taking the time to read. I am looking for any basic advice or direction i can get.

    Simply put , i want to see who is the most popular follower of mine on Soundcloud. I have around 10,000 followers , and i am curious who the most popular ones are. Maybe someone who i admire follows me , maybe a famous person follows me that i could reach out too.

    I want to be able to do this without scrolling through my list of followers one by one , checking their account and then checking their followers. As this is the only way to check who your followers are on the soundcloud website.

    I am a noob so keep that in mind.

    Is there any way i can create a code / program to help me do this ?

    Thank you greatly and i totally understand if nobody responds to this.

    submitted by /u/slycooper_808
    [link] [comments]

    Could hashing help election security?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    Sorry if this is an unorthodox question but I had this thought and I'm curious to hear what y'all would think. Hypothetically, would it be feasible to use a hash function to give each registered voter in an election a unique hash that only they would know, and then publish election votes publicly, displaying hashes rather than any personally identifiable information? That way each person could account that their own vote was recorded the way they intended without compromising the privacy of each voter. Let me know your thoughts!

    submitted by /u/TedtedtedJr
    [link] [comments]

    Data access for real-time card game

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    I'm trying to implement card game in .net core (web app with signalr for real-time functionality).

    Game is played by 4 players (2v2) each taking turns playing a card. After each turn state of the game should be saved so I can present new state to players. Game is fairly quick paced so it shouldn't take longer than few seconds to play a card.

    My idea is to create model in DB (using EF core) and save state in DB after each turn.
    Now, let's just say there is 50 or more games played simultaneously. That is 50 or more reading/writing in the same table at the same time every couple of seconds. I'm not expert at databases so I don't know if 50 is low or high number for that kinda situation.

    Anyway my question is: is that good model? can DB handle that many simultaneous connections? should I save that directly in DB or is there another, better approach where all players will have all data in sync (even if one loses connection and reconnects).

    submitted by /u/iPopay
    [link] [comments]

    What is your favorite basic technology stack to build and host a website?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    I've been programming professionally for a year, but I have only worked on elements of existing sites so I still don't holistically understand how a site comes together, gets hosted, etc.

    What's your favorite tech stack for this? I'm interested in learning React especially.

    Current skills I'm "proficient" in... probably forgetting some things:

    *python *JS (vanilla) *HTML *CSS *Java *SQLAlchemy servers

    submitted by /u/mdf676
    [link] [comments]

    I want to code low-latency AU plugins, where do I start?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    For all the music producers/programmers out there...

    I love using Waves plugins but there are certain functionalities and GUI idea that I have for low-latency plugins in general.

    I have some Python experience but that's about it. I have no idea where to begin or how to optimize a plugin to be exactly low latency. Would appreciate any input from you guys!

    submitted by /u/_MK_1_
    [link] [comments]

    newChat.save is not a function in js

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    I'm working on a project where I have a Chat Schema, as well as a chats endpoint. Below are both. When I try to save a new chat, I get the error newChat.save is not a function. I've been trying to solve this for a few hours now but am still stuck. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!

    chats endpoint const express = require('express'); const router = express.Router(); const { check, validationResult } = require('express-validator'); const auth = require('../../middleware/auth'); const User = require('../../models/User'); const Str = require('@supercharge/strings') // @route POST api/chats // @desc Create a chat // @access Public router.post('/', [auth, [ check( 'title', 'Title is required') .not() .isEmpty(), check( 'password', 'Please enter a password with 6 or more characters' ).isLength({ min: 6 }) ]], async (req, res) => { const errors = validationResult(req); if (!errors.isEmpty()) { return res.status(400).json({ errors: errors.array() }); } try { //const user = await User.findById(req.user.id).select('-password'); const members = [req.user.id]; const passcode = Str.random(7); console.log(passcode); const newChat = { title: req.body.title, creator: req.user.id, users: members, code: passcode } await newChat.save(); } catch (err) { console.error(err.message); res.status(500).send('Server Error'); } }); module.exports = router; 

    Chat Schema:

    const mongoose = require('mongoose'); const Schema = mongoose.Schema; const ChatSchema = new Schema({ title: { type: String, required: true }, creator: { type: Schema.Types.ObjectId, ref: 'user' }, users: [ { user: { type: Schema.Types.ObjectId, ref: 'user' } } ], code: { type: String, required: true }, date: { type: Date, default: Date.now } }); module.exports = Chat = mongoose.model('chat', ChatSchema); 
    submitted by /u/dwight12345
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone through me some coding problems in C

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:17 AM PDT

    Hey everyone I'm a student in computer science So due to corona I have got lots of free time to learn coding. I know C language theoretically and some practical. So anyone can suggest some coding problems to solve in C

    submitted by /u/vedavyasyadav
    [link] [comments]

    I get emails in my inbox not addressed to me

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm receiving what I assume to be scam/phishing emails in my Gmail inbox, which that in of itself is not a surprise, however, they are not sent to me and the headers don't seem to indicate that I'm a BCC either. They are addressed to and CC to <my_gmail_username>@<not_gmail.com> (for example if my email address was Fredricksen56@gmail.com they would be to Fredricksen56@aol.com or Fredricksen56@yahoo.com)

    These emails have a bunch of hidden text and a single image that I can only imagine is a tracking image of sorts. The hidden text appears to trick Google into thinking it is not only a legitimate email, but also one that is important (I use the priority inbox functionality of Gmail). The text is things like, thank you for subscribing your account number is 5533859964. And, welcome to <obviously not a real service> name. Or, thank you <random username> for signing up for <fake service name>

    I can provide more information about the headers and contents if you need more of that information.

    submitted by /u/undermark5
    [link] [comments]

    What is your best success story after your failure?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    [MySQL] Aggregate functions for multiple key/pair objects within a JSON type column cell.

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 09:36 AM PDT

    I have been reading the MySQL.com manual for JSON objects nonstop for the past couple of days. Currently I'm trying to figure this situation out.

    Each row in my table [invoices] represents an invoice. One column [details] with type JSON, contains the purchased items for each invoice. Example:

    invoice 1 [{"item_id":4,"price":100,"qty":1}, {"item_id":6,"price":200,"qty":4}] invoice 2 [{"item_id":4,"price":100,"qty":3}] 

    It could be of course more than 2 invoices but for the sake of simplicity lets say only 2.

    What I would like to achieve is a syntax that would give me back the summation of all quantities. Another that would multiply quantity by the price for all items within an invoice for all invoices and return these sums.

    So far the closest I've gotten is

    SELECT sum(json_extract(details,'$[*].price')) from invoices; 

    which doesn't seem to be working. Using $[0] does work but returns only the price of the first item in each invoice.

    I do appreciate your help and tips. From what I've read so far, it seems like JSON type columns was a relatively recent update on Mysql which might be the reason behind the lack of comprehensive examples in this topic.

    submitted by /u/Almalathi
    [link] [comments]

    When do you think the next mobile OS will come out, and what will it be like?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    With all of the data issues surrounding Google and Apple, they can't remain the only major mobile OSes, right? I know there are others, but do you think we'll have a serious alternate contender anytime soon?

    submitted by /u/DavidgeIkari
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment