• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 18, 2020

    Maintaining a zero-maintenance website web developers

    Maintaining a zero-maintenance website web developers


    Maintaining a zero-maintenance website

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 08:09 AM PST

    Do you like beautiful design? Did you hear about those bushfires in Australia? Here's yet another stunning webpage from the design team at ABC News (AU) Story Lab

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 02:08 PM PST

    Don't touch my clipboard

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 01:06 AM PST

    [OC] Undoing stuff in git

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 02:49 PM PST

    My schedule doesn't allow me much time to study. Should I give up?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 12:57 PM PST

    My goal is to become a freelance web developer. Unfortunately, as the title suggests, I simply don't have that much time to study. On the weekdays, I can generally get 30 minutes to an hour of studying/practice coding, sometimes more depending on the day. I have more time on the weekends (2-4 hours), although I'm usually worn out from the week so it's difficult to focus.

    I feel comfortable with HTML and CSS, and I'm about to start learning JS, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it. Is it unreasonable on my part to pursue a career in web development when I have relatively little time to study? Has anyone else done it?

    Alternatively, if this doesn't work out, I've considered focusing on web design instead. I hear that it's less difficult, and I'm comfortable with design. Is that a good idea?

    submitted by /u/MirukuChu
    [link] [comments]

    Acknowledging Gaps in Skillset as a Solo Freelance Dev

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 06:27 AM PST

    TL;DR:

    • How do you handle situations with clients where they ask you for something that is beyond your skillset?
    • How do you handle when your design abilities are not good enough to produce what they want, even though you have all the other necessary skills?
    • What kinds of clients could I search for that would be looking for complex applications that don't depend on a fancy design as much?

    I have been wanting to enter into the freelance market for a while now. I have gained a very wide and valuable skillset over the past few years and thanks to my BS in Computer Science: full stack development and comfort with quite a few different frameworks, devops and cloud experience, a lot of general web dev background knowledge, and a good ability to learn quickly and absorb information. I can pretty much get anything done, but if I was going to do work that someone pays for, I would want to stick with things I'm well versed in rather than experimenting or learning to fulfill a client's request.

    But one thing that always holds me back from really trying to get my freelance work started is worrying about the things I don't know or I'm not good at: I can do basic designs, and sometimes a bit nicer than basic things, and I'm pretty good at CSS. But frankly I'm not a designer and when someone asks me for things that look like really fancy websites with neat and unique design choices and animations and stuff, I just don't feel like I have the skills to create that kind of thing on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes I end up with much nicer designs, sometimes I try for a nicer design and turns out a little lackluster. I would be self-conscious about giving someone something lackluster like that while portraying myself as a professional and having them pay me.

    Second example: I am not very well versed in analytics, SEO, or marketing. If someone wants to sell things on their website, or wants their website to be very SEO-optimized, I don't confidently feel that I can deliver the quality that someone might expect from a professional in all those aspects.

    It's complicated by the fact that my gaps in skills are not things that are very quantifiable; I can't say "I'm only capable of being able to produce a site that gets you a 30% conversion rate, where as people with more experience could get you a 50% conversion rate." How would I be able to say that? What would I say about the final design that I'm capable of producing? How would I be able to not sell myself short, but also not falsely portray myself as being more experienced than I am?

    I think I have the skills to market myself and portray myself as a professional, and would be able to get clients, but I'm really worried about coming across these situations where the client expects me to be knowledgeable and my honest answer would be "I don't know how to do that yet." I wouldn't feel right about charging as a professional if I won't be able to answer all these questions and perform to reasonable expectations for a professional web developer.

    I know I could screen my clients for what they want and expect before I accept a job, but I feel anxious about my design abilities especially, because it's so subjective. I always try to get some sketches/mockups and get feedback before I build a site, but as a client explains what they need/want, I don't feel confident that I can say "I think X design would be good, and we can do this and add this; how does this look?"

    I am capable of producing very complex and functional products and deploying them, which I think are extremely valuable, but I feel like the majority of clients I have access to would also be expecting professional business designs as well. What kinds of clients could I search for that would be looking for complex applications that don't depend on a fancy design as much?

    What kind of things would you say to communicate to a client your limitations in abilities while still sounding confident and professional?

    submitted by /u/viber_in_training
    [link] [comments]

    I'm building an app for Car Dealerships to car profiles with images to advertise their inventory. What is the best way to handle the admin interface?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 02:06 PM PST

    **I'm building an app for a car dealership to upload and manage car profiles and images to advertise their inventory.

    The backend is an Express API and most of the profile data is going to be stored in Postgres on the same server. I'm considering using Firebase for the Image Hosting rather than storing it on the server; the biggest hurdle I'll need to cross is managing the New Profile uploads, including the image uploads. This will include setting a primary image, potentially changing the list order of the uploaded images...

    I'd like to avoid using a CMS, but if that ends up being the best option I'm willing to try it.

    submitted by /u/Zarathustra420
    [link] [comments]

    Need help understanding microservices components

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    So I am trying to understand how microservices work, I have a general concept of how they work but there are some things that I still dont understand, so I would like to see if anybody could clarify some concepts and also point me in some direction of how to start learning, like what software I need to learn. So my question is basically which are the main software components that a microservice architecture contains, I am guessing there are some optional ones, but I would like to know which are the essential ones, I heard things like load balancer, proxy gateway etc, these are the things I am refering to as in what they are and which ones I need, and what are there main purpose for the system, and also if anybody could also give examples of each one it would be great. I have heard things like kubernetes, docker, nginx etc

    Besides that how can i start learning how to make a web app with this architecture, I am guessing I will have to learn the main software components I mentioned before (that is why I am asking), is there anything else I should learn? Any resources would be apreciated.

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/LiamKRP
    [link] [comments]

    Great article that summarizes how to trigger individual animations exported from a single AE Timeline or composition with Lottie-web / BodyMovin

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:03 AM PST

    Designing a simple REST Api

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:41 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I'm somewhat new to creating REST APIs and thus not fully sure on how they should be designed. I need to create really simple API and I'd like to do it correctly to gain a better understanding of their design principles.

    My api will (at least) three endpoints:
    - #1 (lets the client subscribe to a certain type of event)
    - #2 (lets the client unsubscribe from a certain type of event)
    - #3 (lets the client get a list of his subscriptions)

    The subscriptions are stored in a database, and duplicate subscriptions are not allowed.

    With this in mind, I'm looking for general advice on how to structure my API:
    - What should the routes/urls look like
    - Which HTTP methods should be used and which HTTP codes should be returned.
    - Anything else that comes to mind?

    I realize this is probably quite trivial but nonetheless any thoughts and advice are very much appreciated!
    It's written in dotnet core fwiw

    submitted by /u/tMGK_
    [link] [comments]

    Need small project ideas

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:40 AM PST

    Hi, folks. I'm teaching a webdev course and my students will soon begin working on a mid-semester project for which they have to build a "mini-app" (which I envision basically as a functional prototype to practice building/installing/standing-up a simple app of some kind). They can choose which technologies to use (of the ones we're covering): php/laravel, react, angular, vue, ruby on rails, static site generator, even wordpress, etc. I'm emphasizing that this "mini-app" is really just proof of concept and doesn't need to be fully working and definitely not finished. This is an advanced course, so my students all have strong HTML+CSS+JS, the ability to set up and customize a dev environment, and the capability to work from the command line.

    Anyway, I've generated several suggestions that might work, things like: a to-do app, a task scheduler, a music-sharing app, a custom blog platform, a JS calculator, stuff like that. What I'm wondering is if you all have ideas for simple little apps like this that students could build to help them get the feel for working with a particular stack. Any and all ideas are welcome! Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/p01yg0n41
    [link] [comments]

    How can I prepare for a job in PHP?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 01:01 PM PST

    I've decided that front end may not be a good specialty for me because I'm not fond of the pressures of perfecting designs and such. I am also very analytical and logical minded and have a preference for PHP; most of the interviews I get called for involve PHP.

    So how can I prepare for an entry level job coding PHP? I have an 8 month formal education in web dev and I self study all the time.

    So far I have a good understanding of CRUD apps and have built a fairly complex one on my portfolio, using forms and a MYSQL database. I have studied object oriented PHP some, but find it quite abstract and don't really see how it is useful in practice in the big picture. I have looked at some solutions to different security issues such as SQL injection etc. I have installed the Laravel framework and am currently practicing different things on it such as routing, controllers etc.

    A few questions:

    1-What specific topics in PHP should I focus on, and what kind of projects should I build to learn?

    2-What minimum proficiencies do you think I should have to be considered for a junior PHP role?

    3-Specific courses/resources/udemy/sites to study from?

    4-I hear front end HTML/CSS monkey is the easiest job in web dev to get as a junior. Is it harder to get a junior back end PHP job?

    5-What points should I sell myself on in the interview? (competencies etc)

    I have decided this is the area of web dev I want to focus on, and committed to go all in on it.

    Thanks for your time

    submitted by /u/Daniel1836
    [link] [comments]

    What stack do you use for React development?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 04:36 AM PST

    I am starting to use react for larger projects, not just hobby projects and I am looking for a stack that uses node as a backend.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?

    (I like to use firebase DB as well but I understand it is mainly for smaller projects)

    submitted by /u/BSprogrammer
    [link] [comments]

    Question about getting started in web development, problems facing along the way and getting my mind around it

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 12:19 PM PST

    Hi to all the Redditors out there who are reading my post.

    I know it's been asked a lot but i think what i'm about to ask is a little bit more of a general discussion and getting tips from the experts. And it might even help some new people as well.

    It's been a while i wanted to write this post and finally found some time to write it.

    I'm a 24 years old guy studying software engineering.
    I recently lost my dad (14th of Jan), he was suffering from lung cancer.

    Anyways, it's been a while that i wanted to jump in web development and with the situation i'm stuck in, i'm trying to decide for my future and the things i need to do. I've watched some videos and read posts about the web development technologies and languages i need to learn and think i got a quite good grasp of what is needed for now, so no more question around it.

    It's a post questioning about the guidelines, things to consider and expect from the expert in the business.

    As i said i've been studying software engineering and am familiar with programming. I've been coding C++ for a while and know a little bit of HTML and JS, I can learn things quickly, problem solving is quite easy for me and i can find new solution for problem quite frequently, so please keep that in mind.

    Also i'm thinking of becoming a freelance web developer and accepting projects rather than working in a company.

    I won't waste more of your time and will jump right at it.

    - How long does it take to be able to call yourself a "Front-End"/"Back-End"/"Full-Stack" developer? (I know web development and in general technology is like a never-ending-knot and you can never learn everything and anything) . So what i'm trying to ask is how long it would take to be able to work as a web developer and stand out?

    - How much should i charge at the beginning and how much (is normal) to charge as i gain more experience?

    - How much can i expect to earn as a beginner?

    - What are some tips to stay up-to-date and sharpen my skills?

    - How can i stand out, make myself let's say a "brand" and become a person who businesses want to hire me as a trusted developer and wish to come back for more?

    - What would be your number one tip and some other things you wish you would know when you started out?

    - Is it my responsibility to support the website or app even after developing it?

    Thanks for taking your time reading my post and answering. It means a world to me.

    Sorry if my post is not organized enough or is in a wrong subreddit.

    Please feel free to add any more information or suggestions as it would surely help me out.

    submitted by /u/Undic1d3d
    [link] [comments]

    Asked to quote hours by manager.

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 09:51 AM PST

    Anyone here always getting asked --- how long do you think this site/feature will take? Without any breakdown....
    It's like being asked, how long do you think you can finish building this house (with no specs).

    How do you handle this? I've learned to say I need more time to look into it. But before, I used to wing it. And usually regretting it.

    submitted by /u/avatart0ph
    [link] [comments]

    Are these books good to use in 2020

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 11:44 AM PST

    The title pretty much summarises it. Are these two books still worth using as learning material in 2020?

    Book 1 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1118008189/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i1

    Book 2 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1118531647/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_taft_p1_i2

    Thanks for your time in helping me out.

    submitted by /u/MythicFrost
    [link] [comments]

    Module federation and code sharing between bundles. Huge changes coming to frontend with webpack@5

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 11:43 AM PST

    cross-device application

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 03:26 PM PST

    Hello, i want to develop an app that can be used on desktop, mobile and web on the same time and with nearly the same code, so updates will be done on all platforms at the same time.

    Which is the best framework to use? And is it possible to export the app to exe in the case of desktop app?

    submitted by /u/kekkimo
    [link] [comments]

    IMO .Net webforms doesn't get enough credit

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 10:18 AM PST

    A year ago I started learning and working with react. I've realized, react's component isn't brand new. They didn't call it components but the idea of ASP.Net webforms is almost similar to how you would create and use components. ASP.Net wasn't fun to use but it works. Webforms had a library of built in components, and you just plugin the necessary items to get that component to work. Repeaters, dropdown, radiobutton list ETC. You can also create your own.

    I feel like .Net webforms doesn't get enough credit for their work.

    I just wanted to share this opinion and see what other developers say

    submitted by /u/avatart0ph
    [link] [comments]

    Dynamic content and URLs based on location

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 01:21 PM PST

    Been trying to figure out how to set this up but can't figure it out.

    I have a site with basic dynamic pages and content, which works fine, however I've noticed with real estate sites such as:

    https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/shrewsbury/?q=Shrewsbury%2C%20Shropshire&results_sort=newest_listings&search_source=home

    Every single location (cities, towns, villages and even neighborhoods) pull in dynamic content. I'm assuming that these types of sites don't add in hundreds of thousands of pages corresponding to each location.

    Dynamic pages such as the individual property listings I can setup, however it's the location search I can't figure out.

    So my question, how do large real estate sites generate dynamic URLs, breadcrumbs and titles based on a location? If anyone could point me to some resource to learn, that would be awesome

    submitted by /u/buddabudbud
    [link] [comments]

    Need ideas for Portfolio Website

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 01:17 PM PST

    Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here in Reddit.

    I am currently on my first 6 months of professional work and a freelancing job consisting of an Inventory System used by a General Merch Store. I also did projects when I was a student and before I got a job, mainly in PHP.

    Now, I want to compile them in a portfolio. I am thinking if I can also use the portfolio website as an entry to my list of projects. With that, I am thinking of other ways to show to the possible viewers of my website my knowledge of PHP to let them appreciate the backend side of things.

    If there are points that are unclear please do not hesitate to ask.

    Thank you very much!

    submitted by /u/marjaygab
    [link] [comments]

    How the Browser Executes Asynchronous Code

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 04:11 AM PST

    What is the difference between procedural and object oriented PHP and which one should I use?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 06:57 AM PST

    At the moment I use procedural php

    submitted by /u/Blauer_stift
    [link] [comments]

    how to animate a css element only when it appears on the window?

    Posted: 18 Feb 2020 12:47 PM PST

    i mean in sites like https://joinhandshake.com/ and alot other, the elements are animated only when you scroll on them, is there a library for that?, and how can i do that with pure css?

    submitted by /u/oussama111
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment