• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 2, 2020

    Where's a good place to shame websites that send you your password? web developers

    Where's a good place to shame websites that send you your password? web developers


    Where's a good place to shame websites that send you your password?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 04:59 AM PST

    Someone in my family recently had to reset their password on a website for professional software... and of course, they emailed him his old password, in plain text.

    Where's a good place to shame them for this cardinal sin?

    submitted by /u/jaded-potato
    [link] [comments]

    The "Build me a website" scam

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 05:05 AM PST

    I'm skirting around a scam. I know it's a scam. But I'm not sure how.

    The details:

    I've had someone contact me from far outside of my usual area, asking me to build them a website.

    She can't talk on the phone because she says she is hard of hearing.

    She evades my questions that ask where she found me.

    Her "business" is an online clothing brand, which has absolutely zero online footprint, not registered on companies house, no social media, etc.

    She immediately accepted the rough estimate, which I costed WAY higher than I usually would (sketchiness tax).

    She wants to pay by credit card asap.

    I asked for an address and a business name for the invoice. What I got back was residential and very generic.

    And in addition to the above, the language and grammar in the emails were slightly off in a few places.

    "What is the name of the machine/merchant service you are going to use to charge my credit card for the upfront deposit and its percentage processing fee?"

    I reached out to a chap who works in sales for a web agency and he's had something similar, but couldn't remember the specifics. He - like me - kept it at arm's length, and eventually decided against letting them make any kind of payment.

    I'm not going to correspond any further. All the alarm bells have gone off in my head to know this is not worth looking into.

    But I'm itching to know... how would this have worked?

    Has anyone come across this kind of request before, and if so, what did you do?

    submitted by /u/netheavy
    [link] [comments]

    How do you make a game website work with live multiplayer?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:15 AM PST

    Im new to web dev (and programming in general ig). I built a really really simple turn based game with 2 players. So far, one person plays against a computer doing random moves.

    How would it be possible for two people to play against each other in real time? Could you achieve with some AWS tool? The reason i ask about aws is just bc i hear about it a lot. I also think I could do some Ruby on Rails stuff and maybe use Devise but I'm not too sure since im inexperienced with Rails.

    Edit: Thank you for all the replies! I'll checkout web sockets with socket.io

    submitted by /u/granite_towel
    [link] [comments]

    Wanted to get into making websites, but what's the point if theres already stuff like squarespace or wix that basically do it for you?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:40 PM PST

    Today was my first day in my first internship and i am scared

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:30 PM PST

    so basically what the title says today was my first internship and my first time seeing a "real world" project and i am completely shocked the project is made with larvel and i have no experience with it (I am a front end intern i was just looking around) but i feel like the project is an absolute mess there is soo many files with weird names and taking a look into the style files some of the css files have 31k lines and there is around 15 of these is that normal ? or is this project just bad ? It honestly scared me because i have no idea where to start when i am assigned any task

    edit: Thanks so so so much for the support guys i will take things slower and ask more, i appreciate the support so much

    submitted by /u/KTDade
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for logging application for my site

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 09:39 AM PST

    I'm looking for a logging application similar to timber.io. If you know of any application that has a simple API and can at keep at least 7 days of logs preferably for free let me know. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/andrejarrell
    [link] [comments]

    HTML "Include"

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:46 PM PST

    Is there actually no way to include one file in another within HTML? If yes, I find that very surprising.

    I hired someone to remake my website and now I'm learning HTML / JavaScript / CSS to learn to edit it. I'm trying to update one particular page, which is basically just a long and growing list of links in various sections. It makes sense to me that each section should have its own file, then all of those files should be included in a larger master file. When doing LaTeX work, this was very convenient.

    Is that link above actually correct? i.e. Do I have to learn another language or package or something just to include one file in another?

    submitted by /u/BravoMath
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a downloadable trello like client for linux

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:34 PM PST

    Looking for something like trello that i can use offline on liux

    submitted by /u/dominic_l
    [link] [comments]

    How do I know which library to use with HeidiSQL?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:08 PM PST

    I've been using HeidiSQL for about a year, but the new version has a "Library" option that I've not used before.

    These are the options from that menu:

    libmariadb.dll

    libmysql-6.1.dll

    libmysql.dll

    I'm using MYSQL, so I'm guessing it's one of the second two options--but how do know which?

    submitted by /u/chriscasemart
    [link] [comments]

    Searching for advanced back-end manager like strapi with admin roles and permissions, any advice?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 03:03 PM PST

    Hi devs, need some self-hosted tool to design and manage different structured relational data with export to sqlite capability, also with roles and permissions for different types of managers. Strapi has the most of features what I need but not all. If you are using something like that please share, thanks!

    submitted by /u/g0relics
    [link] [comments]

    Why is string.startsWith so slow compared to an equality check?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 08:24 AM PST

    Multilingual Website

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:33 PM PST

    How many of you have had the experience of building a multilingual website?

    I have written down some of the best practices based on my experience with building a few now:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-multilingual-website-antony-meyn/

    Looking for feedback.

    submitted by /u/MeynGuy
    [link] [comments]

    I was wondering why I am getting an Undefined Offset error with this for loop in PHP?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 12:42 PM PST

    Here is my code that I use to parse some JSON.

    This is using places API. Google will return lets say 100 nearby places but I only want 1 so that why my loop is at 1.

    function parseAPIResult(& $placesArray, &$api_result){ if($api_result !== false){ $json_data = json_decode($api_result, true); for($i = 0; $i < 1; $i++){ $place_id = $json_data['results'][$i]["place_id"]; $place_name = $json_data['results'][$i]["name"]; $place_type = $json_data['results'][$i]["types"][0]; $rating = $json_data['results'][$i]["rating"]; $latitude = $json_data['results'][$i]["geometry"]["location"]["lat"]; $longitude = $json_data['results'][$i]["geometry"]["location"]["lng"]; $icon = $json_data['results'][$i]["icon"]; 

    This is my output;

    An Táin Arts Centre 4.6 St Patrick's Parish Church Dundalk 4.6 Louth County Library 4.1 M.A.D Youth Theatre 5 Oriel Park 4.2 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 83 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 84 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 85 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 86 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 87 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 88 Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in C:\xampp\htdocs\TripitServer\api\RandomRoute\GetRoute.php on line 89 No Rating An Táin Arts Centre 4.6 
    submitted by /u/Cormac_IRL
    [link] [comments]

    Not sure if this is the right place... ¿can you please check out and give feedback on a blog I recently made?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 12:19 PM PST

    It's for an industrial plastic injection company... please let me know what can be improved....

    Blog: https://blog.hesaguimold.net/index.php/blog/posts/22-basics-of-simulating-plastic-parts

    submitted by /u/anteracorp
    [link] [comments]

    Where do I find the right company or person to build a mobile web application, one preferably who loves games?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 11:54 AM PST

    Newbie here. Where's the best place to source companies/people to build a minimum viable product (mobile website) using Oracle's Application Development/Messaging Cloud Service for a LOCAL social network proof-of-concept?

    submitted by /u/Richmel
    [link] [comments]

    What's your guys opinion on PWA?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 11:50 AM PST

    Since more and more companies are going towards PWA, I want to know what you guys think about it?

    It's just interesting because before you have to think about the desktop version first and then mobile. But now it's kinda the other way around.

    submitted by /u/VampiricGoddess
    [link] [comments]

    What would the best approach be to create something like this: Screen #1 = displayed, a table/list of people's names and times (they need to ride as fast as possible on a bike). Screen #2 = data entry, someone enters the time manually after a person finishes. Screen 1 should refresh automatically.

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 04:38 AM PST

    It is possible to provide web services/systems (like CMS) working alone and not knowing about design/UI/UX?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 10:35 AM PST

    I got a domain a few months ago to try to provide web services on my own (because it's so hard to get a job here), but I got discouraged when I had to do the landing page UI, because I'm not good with graphic design.

    So I searched and found several sites that show many pages ready, so I can just look and code (and modify as I wish). But wouldn't that be a bad idea for the customer? For example, saying something like "I work (or, we work, like it's a company, but it's just me behind it) only with the development part, you can look at these sites and say how you want me to do it, or you can I hire a web designer to create the pages and I develop them. "

    EDIT: i have knowledge in: html, css, js, sass, react (redux, next, emotion etc), and python, django, sql, wagtail, git, linux and aws basics and my objetive is Machine Learning (currently graduating in statistics)

    submitted by /u/flakesrc
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help with hosting a Wordpress website

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 10:11 AM PST

    I have now 4 years experience in programming, mainly in HTML, CSS/SASS and Javascript. Lately I did some website's/projects in React. Most of the website's I have made were just school projects and never went live. The website's I did put online I just did it via FileZilla. Just drag and drop the folder on the server (all the content were hardcoded in the HTML). But now I want to know how the whole process looks like when I want to create and host a Wordpress website with a custom made template. I also want to make use of git with the develop, test, accept and live branches (OTAP?). So when I push something to the live branche it automatically update. And how do I setup Wordpress? Just install it on the server along with PHP and MySql?

    I want going to make Wordpress website's for clients in the future so I want to do it via a professional way and hope you guys can give me some tips/insights. How I see it now:

    - Get hosting and domain

    - Install Wordpress, PHP and MySql on the server

    - Setup a empty/custom template

    - Setup OTAP (Don't know how)

    - Write code (back-end and front-end) to make the website and push it to Git

    EDIT:

    I want just to start with making simple portfolio's and/or blogs and just give the client a way to upload there own text and images. Maybe is Wordpress overkill for this?

    submitted by /u/kodolen
    [link] [comments]

    For some random reason my nav in mobile mode requires two taps

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 09:23 AM PST

    Ok - firstly you can see what im getting at here as I am shite at explaining. If you are on desktop, you'll need to either have your window width below 800px or be in mobile mode.

    Basically when the site is in mobile mode, it requires two taps/clicks (happens on both mobile and desktop) to open the nav. The other places the implementation is used on in the site work absolutely fine so I am not sure why this is happening.

    The way it works is that when the <a> link is pressed, it uses onClick() to toggle a JS function that shows or hides the divs.

    Here is the HTML

    <nav id="nav">
    <div class="nav-toggle">
    <a class="nav-toggle-link" onclick="toggleNav()">Menu</a>
    </div>
    <div class="nav-right" id="toggled">
    <div class="nav-toggle">
    <a class="nav-toggle-link" onclick="toggleNav()">Close</a>
    </div>
    <ul class="nav-list">
    <li class="nav-item"><a class="nav-link current" href="#">Home</a></li>
    <li class="nav-item"><a class="nav-link" href="#about" onclick="toggleNav()">About</a></li>
    <li class="nav-item"><a class="nav-link" href="projects.html" onclick="toggleNav()">Projects</a></li>
    <li class="nav-item"><a class="nav-link" href="#collage" onclick="toggleNav()">Collage</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>
    </nav>

    And here is the JS:

    function toggleNav() {
    var x = document.getElementById("toggled");
    if (x.style.display === "none") {
    x.style.display = "block";
    } else {
    x.style.display = "none";
    }
    }

    Again, its online at https://limegorilla.co.uk - any ideas and thoughts appreciated.

    submitted by /u/limegorilla
    [link] [comments]

    Publish: A static site generator for Swift developers

    Posted: 01 Jan 2020 08:56 PM PST

    Login system for side project

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 01:51 AM PST

    I have a side project built in nodejs that i would like to have a login system for. That means user creation, login, logout, forgot password and user management. If i dont want to create all this functionality myself, is there any solution i can use that can handle all that?

    submitted by /u/Benna100
    [link] [comments]

    Every idea I think of has been done already! Is it worth doing side projects?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2020 07:28 AM PST

    I've been doing web development / freelancing for a few years now, and have started to venture into the territory of creating side projects, with the ultimate goal of creating some side income through an Saas web app.

    Here's the rub: Whenever I think of a cool concept for a side hustle, I do some market research and lo and behold I find the web app I had in my head a few minuts ago right there on the first page of google - a pristine, professional company clearly with investors and advertising already bringing my idea to existence.

    It's discouraging to see ideas I thought were novel already developed into full blown companies. Is the right idea to plow ahead regardless, developing an MVP and putting it live when users are likely to go straight for the more polished existing product?

    Why develop and cultivate my side project ideas when some company with $50,000 a month alone in advertisements will inevitably crush whatever project I think of?

    Is there value in putting my scarce resource of time into small side projects at all?

    submitted by /u/EnoughFuture8
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment