• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 28, 2019

    What do different programmers actually do all day/every day? learn programming

    What do different programmers actually do all day/every day? learn programming


    What do different programmers actually do all day/every day?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:12 AM PDT

    I just watched Jarvis Johnson's "what do programmers actually do".

    Im wondering if anyone can elaborate on what sorts of programmers a team at Facebook (for example) is comprised of?

    Which programmers are using which languages? Which are most closely associated with eachother and which are least associated (relatively speaking)?

    How is it all integrated/coordinated?

    submitted by /u/112314888
    [link] [comments]

    Is Docker useful for a software developer?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:09 PM PDT

    Recently I came across docker and was stuck by it's container features. Now is it useful for a software developer to learn Docker and kubernetes ? Moreover, how can I improve myself in new technologies?

    P.s- I am familiar with React, Node, Angular, Vue

    submitted by /u/shankha_deepp
    [link] [comments]

    Whats easier to learn arduino or raspberry pi?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    whats the easier one to learn if im gonna use something like a finger print scanner

    submitted by /u/brownouty
    [link] [comments]

    should i learn c# for windows app programming?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:37 PM PDT

    Hiya! im super extremely very new to programming. ive only ever made something with AutoHotKey. I want to build a Windows app but I don't know which language i should use! is c# good for making windows apps? also, where do i actually code it, and how to i make it its own standalone .exe instead of a saved project file? thank you so much everyone!

    submitted by /u/marvelmarvil
    [link] [comments]

    How do you stay motivated in the beginning of the learning process despite feeling like you're in over your head?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 08:03 PM PDT

    I'm sure I'm far from the first person to feel overwhelmed in the beginning. I'm just looking for some advice on how to get past the demoralization of this beginning period where I feel like I'm spinning my tires. I've been attempting to learn programming in some form for the last 6 months or so (I have a full time job that occupies a lot of time, so I'm limited in the amount of time I can actually spend learning), but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. I have never felt as stupid in my life as I have since beginning to learn programming.

    I've bounced around quite a bit, started off with web development and the Harvard CS50 course; more recently I've been working on an Android development Udemy course. I've also watched quite a few YouTube videos but at this point I feel like I'm more lost than I was in the beginning.

    I feel like I'm not retaining anything, and I'm still unable to really do much of anything without someone telling me how to do it on a YouTube video or Udemy course. I don't feel like I'm able to think like a programmer and actually put any of the skills I'm attempting to learn to use.

    I guess my questions is, how have you all stayed motivated even when you feel like you're too stupid to do this and what would you recommend to get over this hump and start to feel like I'm actually making progress and learning something?

    Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/mrmojorisin2794
    [link] [comments]

    Project Ideas For Beginner in Python

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    I'm thinking of doing a python project because I've learned all the basic python fundamentals. I've so far coded a tic tak toe game.

    I'm thinking of creating a database for students to input parameters and filters for college requirements and the program outputs potentially colleges. Would this be too hard for me? Any other project ideas are also welcome.

    submitted by /u/Sparta_Kush
    [link] [comments]

    When you study or work on projects, do you rely on being 'in the flow' or on a set amount of time per day?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    I'm wondering because I have barely any discipline and if I treat it like one of those things I just have to do, I barely study and work on my projects. Sometimes when I really prepare though, I'll put on some working music, I'll make a pot of coffee, and I'll just sit down and suddenly I've implemented my entire to do list and it's 5 hours later and I'm proud of myself.

    Anyone else have that? It's not exactly every day that I can work 5 hours on it because of mental blockages to put it that way, and I'm wondering what you guys do.

    submitted by /u/WolfofAnarchy
    [link] [comments]

    Guidance for where to start

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:52 PM PDT

    So thiss is going to be a very broad and open ended post. I am almost a complete noob when it comes to programming knowing only some beginner concepts. So i have an idea that i want to pursue involving multi channel listing or software that would list the same item for sale on multiple sites such as say ebay, amazon, etc eliminating the need to manually list the same product on each site. The features would all be preferably accessed through a gui platform which could show which sites have been listed etc. i realize this is a big task for a beginner but i want to use it as a goal that i can work towards while also learning programming. Honestly not even suree how much it would matter, but what language would make sense to learn to begin with that could achieve these goals. Im looking to begin learning a language and would like to avoid the frustration of learning one and figuring out that i cannot do the types of things that i have in mind. Is there any direction i should go in regarding deciding a language to learn? I apologize for any noobishh questions but i am just looking for some general guidance on what path to take and direction to go in. Srry for the long post and i would really appreciate anybodys responses no matter what the answer thanks!

    submitted by /u/Mikedebenedictis
    [link] [comments]

    [Java] Boolean issue with arrays

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    I am trying to ask for user input for an array full of numbers then check whether the numbers are in ascending order. If it isn't in ascending order then it should return false but if it is in ascending order it should return true. It can return false correctly when it needs to and it also returns true when there is only one number in the array but it doesn't return true when it is true. Instead it says "exception in thread main". it points out line 43 and 34. I have tried everything I know, can someone tell me the right code for this? I'd just like to learn from there. Thanks in advance

    import java.util.Scanner; public class bro { public static void main(String[] args) { Scanner scan = new Scanner(System.in); System.out.println("Enter the number of elements for the array"); int number = scan.nextInt(); int arr[] = new int[number]; System.out.println("Enter the elements for the array"); for (int w = 0 ; w < number; w++) { System.out.print("Element "+(w+1)+": "); arr[w] = scan.nextInt(); System.out.println(); } System.out.println(isSorted(arr)); } public static boolean isSorted(int[] arr) { if (arr.length == 1) { return true; } for (int i = 1;i <= arr.length;){ if (arr[i-1] > arr[i]) { return false; } else { i++; } } return true; } } 
    submitted by /u/TNLG
    [link] [comments]

    How are websites made

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    All the coding I've learnt is for offline, exe type programs and I know nothing about how a website is "made", operates or stores its data. I'm thinking more of websites you can interact with like blogs that you can leave a comment on or forums

    submitted by /u/forgiveme4chan
    [link] [comments]

    sequence of learning programming languages

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 05:17 AM PDT

    Hi guys! I'm a Computer Science student finishing up freshman year, and obviously I've been doing some programming for about a year now, and I'm just starting to get the hang of it. So far, I've familiarized myself with C, Java, Python, HTML, and CCS, currently studying SQL on my own. I want to explore programming on my own outside of the four walls of my classroom, so my question is, what more programming languages should I study in sequence? Specfically if I wanna get into web development, and web and mobile applications?

    submitted by /u/BlueZedamin
    [link] [comments]

    What would be a cool way to apply machine learning in ecommerce?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 11:34 PM PDT

    If I had a good project idea that would compel me to take this stuff seriously. Thing is, it seems e-commerce is mostly fine with un-intelligent methods, for example cross sells are recommended based on past sales or viewsof related items.

    Do you guys have any ideas of something in ecommerce that could actually benefit from the learning aspects of ML? Technically, I would probably start with a javascript ported library for now, although I don't want that to restrict any project ideas you guys have.

    submitted by /u/javascript_dev
    [link] [comments]

    What way is best to figure out where my code is messing up?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:38 PM PDT

    ON codewars I'm having an issue with my code for this problem:

    The maximum sum subarray problem consists in finding the maximum sum of a contiguous subsequence in an array or list of integers:

    maxSequence({-2, 1, -3, 4, -1, 2, 1, -5, 4}); //should be 6: {4, -1, 2, 1} 

    Easy case is when the list is made up of only positive numbers and the maximum sum is the sum of the whole array. If the list is made up of only negative numbers, return 0 instead.

    Empty list is considered to have zero greatest sum. Note that the empty list or array is also a valid sublist/subarray.

    My code works for the example problems but when I go to attempt I get this which has had me beating my head against the wall:

    _50_random_tests

    Expected: equal to 94 Actual: 61

    Now it would be nice if I could see the example array that failed so that I could run my code in VS and try to debug and see what its doing line by line. Is there any way to see the random test used in codewars?

    Here is my code, I have recently found out there is a lot I can do to optimize this code but I first really want to figure out where this algorithm goes wrong on the test array.

    #include <vector> #include <numeric> using namespace std; int maxSequence(const vector<int>& arr){ //create copy of array that can be modified vector<int> arr2; for (int n = 0; n < arr.size(); n++) { arr2.push_back(arr[n]); } // loop through each element of the erray from left to right for (int i = 0,sum = 0; i < arr2.size(); i++) { // if the element is zero or less then delete it unless the elements to the left // contribute more to increasing the sum. if(arr2[i] <= 0 && (sum + arr2[i]) <= 0) { // create new array that excludes deleted elements vector<int> arr3 = {}; for (int j = 0; j < (arr2.size() - i - 1); j++) { arr3.push_back(arr2[i + j + 1]); } // set starting array equal to new array and go back to the beginning to continue checking //elements arr2.clear(); for (int n = 0; n < arr3.size(); n++) { arr2.push_back(arr3[n]); } i = 0; i--; sum = 0; continue; } sum = sum + arr2[i]; } // now loop through from right to left and check the same thing int sum = 0; for (int i = (arr2.size() - 1); i > 0; i--) { if(arr2[i] <= 0 && (sum + arr2[i]) <= 0) { arr2.erase(arr2.begin()+i, arr2.end()); sum = 0; continue; } sum = sum + arr2[i]; } return accumulate(arr2.begin(), arr2.end(), 0); } 

    Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/tumbldore
    [link] [comments]

    Can Webpack be used for all files within web development or is it bad practice?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 11:13 PM PDT

    So I've been getting into front end web development, aiming for full stack eventually with a specialization in the front end because I enjoy designing things and I've recently been looking into and trying to wrap my head around Webpack.

    I've got the basics of it down, including NPM packages and being able to create and write my Webpack.config.js files and such, but I was wondering if it was industry standard to use Webpack to bundle and build everything within my project?

    Right now I have my files (HTML, SCSS, JS etc.) in my distribution folder and have Webpack config setup with loaders and such to detect them all and build them into my src folder. However it builds them all into the SRC folder without any kind of assets/css folders and such (Not really sure if I am able to set that up somehow) which seems a little messy..

    Was wondering if this was normal / is industry standard or if I'm using Webpack for a little more than it should be used for?

    submitted by /u/FightingTheFat
    [link] [comments]

    I want to build a website. Please help me with the steps

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:05 AM PDT

    Hey, I have an idea for a website and I want to get started building it. I have experience coding (some Java back in college. MATLAB and VBA for my work). I don't think it will be hard for me to pick up other coding languages.

    So, I know the static pages will be made with HTML\CSS. I want to do the client side scripting in JavaScript and the server side scripting in Python. The Python will pull from a MySQL database.

    I know that this might require a long response, but how do I set this up? I want to be able to code and test this on my own computer, without having to sign up for a domain. Also, I would prefer to do the scripting before I do the visuals (HTML/CSS), but if that's not possible, that's fine.

    What tools should I set up? Also, I've been scouring the internet to find out how to connect Python and Javascript (how does Javascript pull the results from Python), but I can't seem to find an answer.

    Any help would be appreciated. :)

    submitted by /u/belayisyen
    [link] [comments]

    Java new

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:57 PM PDT

    Do I need to create objects if all I need is to print a line using System.out.println("hello") which is inside a method and inside a class?

    submitted by /u/Ludlow12
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know how to write code for a set calculation process with 2 variable numbers?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    Something like this:

    1. Enter A (manually)
    2. A/2 = B (automatically)
    3. Enter C (manually)
    4. C/B = D (automatically)
    5. D*1000 = Final answer (automatically)

    I can't seem to find a calculator that can do something like this online and I have too many pairs variables and answers to write them manually so I'd thought of finding/learning how to write the code to make one.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/PCTABLD
    [link] [comments]

    Good Books to read away from the computer

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 07:05 PM PDT

    Anyone have any good programming books that they feel were beneficial, that don't exactly require being at a computer. In other words, any conceptual/theoretical books that might help take my programming skills to the next level?

    submitted by /u/JWindy92
    [link] [comments]

    Why am I getting an error? (Python)

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:48 PM PDT

    Hello all, today is quite literally the first day and I am already stuck on what I assume is a very basic, stupid issue. This a math with programming class so I am proficient and math and gaining the skills of programming. Expect to see me often haha. I'll post my code below

    x=4

    y=-7

    z=20

    (this all works fine, but I am supposed to have it all in one line which I get an error for)

    (this next part is what I am stuck on)

    print (11(y-x)^3/(x+yz))

    I get the error "TypeError: 'int' object is not callable" for the last line and I don't understand what I am doing wrong. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/throwaway101092100
    [link] [comments]

    I know the fundamentals of JavaScript, what should I know going into Java?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:21 PM PDT

    The college course I'm taking is exclusively Java. I'm hoping to transition to the syntax as quickly as possible. Any tutorial recommendations or tips on things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Frrrosty
    [link] [comments]

    Help with Java?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 10:11 PM PDT

    public class AnFRQ

    {

    public static int apScore(int mcScore, int frqScore)

    {

    double totalScore = (mcScore + frqScore) * 1.2;

    if (totalScore > 62.0) {

    return 5;

    }

    else if (45.8 < totalScore <= 62.0) {

    return 4;

    }

    else if (35.2 < totalScore <= 45.8) {

    return 3;

    }

    else if (28.5 < totalScore <= 35.2) {

    return 2;

    }

    else {

    return 1;

    }

    }

    }

    I keep getting the error "bad operand types for binary operator '<='" in the if statements. I can't figure out why.

    submitted by /u/Kwixey
    [link] [comments]

    Is it rational to have a strong preference for front end/ back end?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:44 PM PDT

    Hello

    I've been coding for a few years now (self-taught, not on a professional basis or anything of the sort), and I've noticed that doing 'backend' stuff comes to me way more easily than 'front end' stuff.

    My current project is a character generator for the Warhammer Tabletop RPG. I spent a good while thinking about the database (I know using a database might not be the most efficient way to deal with a relatively small volume of information, but it's for the sake of learning), how to phrase the queries in order to get the proper results, etc.

    However, when it comes to creating a really simple user interface, it becomes mind-boggingly boring... Though that might be just because I'm using Tkinter. Getting the right results, for me = fun. Having to make sure those results are properly displayed, and don't cover each other, etc.... Not so much.

    Sorry for the rant! So, my question: do you think it's reasonable for someone who dislikes doing front end tasks to ignore them completely and focus just on his strengths (in this case back end)? Or is it preferable to learn a bit of front end as well in order to be a more well-rounded professional?

    PS: if I have used the terms 'front end' and 'back end' wrong, please let me know; since I'm self-taught, certain gaps in knowledge are inevitable :(

    submitted by /u/FaallenOon
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best way to handle a lot of objects

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:43 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    I have been constantly experiencing problems in programming where I have to update and run logic on a lot of objects.

    for example if I were to have a simulation where a lot of small people walk around the screen in canvas, I would usually just drop them all in an array and then run a for loop through it. Is there a better way to do this? How do people usually go about applying logic to a large amount of objects in fast succession?

    Cheers, 17kimv.

    submitted by /u/17kimv
    [link] [comments]

    I am trying to learn front end design by myself, how long would it realistically take and what resources would you recommend for me to use?

    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    I have no experience in coding at all, so I am a total noob. I dont even know if this is possible, maybe I am shooting far beyond my league. I just want to know if its realistically possible before I dive into it. Thank you so much? What are the basics that I should know?

    submitted by /u/greenteafucksmeup
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment