• Breaking News

    Friday, August 23, 2019

    Moving to agile from a super laid-back workplace web developers

    Moving to agile from a super laid-back workplace web developers


    Moving to agile from a super laid-back workplace

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 01:06 PM PDT

    I have never worked in an agile/scrum environment before. Last place I worked was super lax and I would simply just take open tickets at my convenience and take as long as I need to complete them with no estimates given. Never did a sprint or have daily meetings about my progression.

    Now I am about to go to a new job where they practice agile and getting a little nervous. What can I do to prepare myself to avoid a culture shock?

    submitted by /u/dotobird
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommended hosting platforms for a php back end that don’t require sys admin chops?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 12:48 PM PDT

    Hey everyone! I've built a working php/MySQL back end for my site/product I'm about to launch.

    Currently I'm using hostgator and cpanel. Ideally I'd like to get on something like aws (or something with equivalent speed/reliability/scalability) and use github for my code deployments but don't quite have the sys admin chops to pull that off (yet).

    Are there any products that have a similar set up to hostgator cpanel but with php/github ready to rock and roll?

    Thanks so much in advance!

    submitted by /u/therealdiscursive
    [link] [comments]

    How to uphold Bootstrap's licensing terms if I only include a few of their SCSS functions in my code?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 12:42 PM PDT

    I want to use certain parts of Bootstrap's layout system in my project. However, even the self-contained Bootstrap-grid.css they offer includes a lot of stuff I don't need. I took a peek at their source code and I realized I could get everything I want by just lifting a few functions and mixins out of it. However, I'm not sure how to uphold their licensing terms if I do so.

    Bootstrap uses MIT license, and on their website, the only requirement listed is:

    Keep the license and copyright notice included in Bootstrap's CSS and JavaScript files when you use them in your works

    I don't know where to put the license and copyright notice. Putting the notice at the top of the entire CSS file doesn't make sense - none of the code I want to use will actually end up in the final CSS file, there will just be the media-queries it generates, containing my CSS rules.

    I could put the license and notice at the top of my source file that I put their code into, but the repo is private and I won't actually be using their source files directly, so I don't know if it would be right to put their legal stuff at the top of a file they didn't actually author, even if it contains their code.

    Does anyone know how to do this correctly?

    EDIT: Answered by aerojoe23.

    submitted by /u/IridiumPoint
    [link] [comments]

    How to make sure clients always get newest site?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 01:39 PM PDT

    I am having problems where clients have cached websites and query to updated backend. How is this issue dealt with normally?

    Add some catcher at the backend and prompt user to hard refresh?

    Or, is there any way to make sure every time user hits my url they would get the latest files?

    I am using cloudFront, google domain, if the info helps.

    Thanks~

    submitted by /u/DaMavius
    [link] [comments]

    Has Anyone Done A Webdev Apprenticeship?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    What was it like? I applied to one recently within my state and they say they're more looking for character than work history or experience, I guess because they assume you'll know nothing about full stack. Honestly, though, I'm kind of nervous about it because I'm afraid they won't call me in for an interview.

    Wouldn't they have to call in everyone, though? You can't really tell much about a person from just a few text boxes and a short video. I'm sure there are disqualifiers, but still.

    submitted by /u/Schindlers_Fist1
    [link] [comments]

    Best practice for image cache reloading

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 10:25 AM PDT

    I'm developing an employee image directory for my company and I'm dealing with an issue where my images aren't refreshing because the URLs aren't changing when a profile image is edited.

    I've found a bunch of solutions with some google-fu but most of these solutions mention how they are "tricking" the browser (example). So before I go ahead and use one of these methods I wanted to see if there was a more standard way to handle this issue rather than having to trick the browser.

    submitted by /u/Berkyjay
    [link] [comments]

    Google Is Tightening Its Grip on Your Website

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 05:02 AM PDT

    How To Make Buttons Mobile Friendly Without CSS Sheet?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    The site I'm editing doesn't have CSS capability as it will only let me upload HTML. Right now everything looks good except 2 buttons are aligned on desktop but stacking on mobile. Can I use inline CSS to make this work on mobile? I appreciate any help!

    Code goes something like this: <div style="max-width:100%><a width="49.5%" href="link">CLICK HERE</a></div>

    Not using button tags or any sort of container as they get messed up based on the pre developed CSS sheet which I don't have access or control over.

    See the website: https://www.davesmithnissan.com/2019-nissan-rogue-spokane-wa

    submitted by /u/Rugrratt
    [link] [comments]

    [Wordpress] Adding highly-relational data systems to the CMS, different approaches ?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 08:27 AM PDT

    Hi there,
    I asked a question one month ago (see https://old.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/c5neb8/current_state_of_good_practices_for_wordpress/), and have started to develop this new site.

    The roots.io stack is a real relief compared to how I remember Wordpress years ago.

    Still, using wordpress is a hard requirement, but I have to add some systems to the site :

    • Users who can pin, annotate, tag, relate some contents coming from the site, share a view of their notes, download an archive.
    • An agenda with "special days", activities, audience types, activity types, price type, multiple date and date ranges for activities.

    I'm totally comfortable building this outside of Wordpress, but I'm highly doubtful on doing it inside of it.

    Here's what I thought of doing :

    • Creating a bare-bones plugin to have a self-contained dashboard for the user system, and another one for the agenda. I'll be able to quickly create them with vue or react.
    • Adding a database migration system to allow iteration on those two systems.
    • Using Eloquent since it's already present in the roots.io stack, as an ORM to build a data layer.
    • Expose this as a CRUD API for the plugins administration panel, and as a restrained one for the frontend (since those spaces will be highly dynamic).

    But that's already stretching the "inside of Wordpress" definition. I'd like to comply as much as possible with this, since this website could be taken over by a generic WP agency in the future. Building a separate web service that is talked to by Wordpress but unconventional is out of reach.

    I also have a strong requirement to make this as lightweight as possible, and I'm opposed to the plugins-and-duct-tape approach, so I'm inclined to build with a small set of components.

    What would you do besides changing the requirements ?
    Thank you, GoHPrqbGU

    submitted by /u/GoHPrqbGU
    [link] [comments]

    Portfolio website feedback

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    I've just spent an absurd amount of time creating my portfolio/website and tweaking it: https://www.adrianyadav.com/ - would appreciate any feedback/comments to make it even better.

    Source code is available from: https://github.com/adrianyadav

    Design is heavily inspired from https://natours.netlify.com/

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nephthyis
    [link] [comments]

    Any recommendation on courses taught on web development provided in Manhattan NY

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 09:56 AM PDT

    I have a good understanding of Html and Css, but, I would like to expand my knowledge in other subjects like AngularJS, Javascript. I have taken advantage of free online resource; youtube . Also, There are well known online course in such udemy, Codeacademy ,Teamtreehouse, Codeschool, FreeCodeCamp and lynda . Some of these have great interactively with the instructor or member where they are able to provide additional help.

    I feel that I would like to take advantage of a class environment where I am able to set my mind and follow through the live interaction. Since, I am in NYC, there are great opportunities to take, especially courses provided in some of the schools (Pratt,NYUCourses,Brauch). The only thing is these are very expensive, Are there any other one's that substantially lower that offers good overall learning experience and provide certification. I was looking at Practical Programming on CourseHorse. I am just hesitant about spending $$ on something that can be either none worthy. I am heavily relying on website reviews based on some of the experience, I usually do not trust reviews until I can do cross-check to verify if it is worth.

    Does anyone have their own experience that they can share of the web development course taken in the NYC. I appreciate the help again.

    submitted by /u/me1now
    [link] [comments]

    Branded Link To Open Respective App Store Based On Device

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 09:22 AM PDT

    Hello All,

    I hope the title was as clear as mud. I need some help and am not sure I am in the right place. I am a digital brand director for a company that has a couple apps. We are in the process of launching branded links over social media that will either direct to our website, deep link to pages inside of the app, or potentially link to an app store to download.

    That is where I need help. Lets say we create a universal branded link such as brand.app/download... how can I direct that link to AUTOMATICALLY open the App Store based on the device they are using? My theory is to have a page on our webserver that has some kind of code on there that executes that, but I cannot figure it out.

    Thank you in advance for taking a look into this, or pointing me in the right direction.

    submitted by /u/iamcaseyf
    [link] [comments]

    Migrate from Github Pages to Ghost

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 03:07 PM PDT

    Hey guys. Having a bit of an issue, a year or so ago I migrated from Wordpress to Github Pages, now I want to migrate from Github Pages to Ghost (my thought was to use a local version of ghost running on XAMP (Windows user) I could use a Ghost theme that I have my eye on and its editor to create posts in and then maybe get them statically created to push to the git repos.

    But although the migration from Wordpress to Github pages was relatively simple, trying to get off of the Jekly is a bit harder, there is a ruby plugin 'jekylltoghost.rb' I tried but of course I don't think it can generate the files as its running on Github and alot of the guides I have followed don't seem to support Ghost 2 and tried running the script on my local device with the Linux subsystem but its just erroring.

    Nothing wrong with Github Pages - in fact that in front of Cloudflare = heaven and free, but writing the document directly in markdown and changing the headers for every post is putting me off writing.

    Does anyone know of a way I can:

    1. Export my current Github pages posts to: Ghost v2
    2. Run a local (Windows) copy of Ghost and then have it generate the static pages - I can then push them to the git repo.
    3. Does anyone know if what I want to do will allow me to still have RSS feeds and reasonably good SEO?
    submitted by /u/ChevronX
    [link] [comments]

    Ethereum JSON-RPC Playground

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Service or method to confirm all links from your website are alive

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 10:31 AM PDT

    Hello All,

    Is there a service or method that can confirm that all links from your website go to a active page and dont get 404 or website not found or other errors?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lance_klusener
    [link] [comments]

    Astra > Elmentor Pro > Envato Elements -- Looking for feed back on how I currently develop websites.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 09:21 AM PDT

    The main thing is that this appears to be working so far.

    Right now I am using Wordpress, with Astra (free), and Elementor Pro as the page builder. I then use Envato Elements (free), which has a wide array of free templates to be used, and it works great with Elementor.

    I plan later to use stock.adobe for assets in the future, when I cannot find what I need for free.

    To check my understanding, the theme is considered to be Astra, even though I am using individual templates found with either Elementor Pro, or Envato Elements. I then make the adjustments necessary for building the page with Elementor. Some of the very small things that Elementor cannot do, I simply use Astra for (such as site identity, etc).

    There are about two, three other plugins I use. But I can't seem to relate to the whole "I need to find a theme / paid for a theme". I feel like I use a theme "bare bones", and simply build pages and templates. It works, it feels fast and it's responsive.

    I guess my ultimate question is, if the website works, it's responsive and fast. That's all that matters, right? To those with experience, does this make sense to work this way? I'm just looking for feedback on my approach. It's weird, I feel like I know what I am doing, yet at the same time, I'm not too confident. I'm not even really sure what my question is, I'm just looking for thoughts on the whole process. I think I'm also a little confused on what it means to use a theme, if I'm just using templates for each page.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/tropicalfartbreeze
    [link] [comments]

    Using Native JavaScript Modules in Production Today

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 05:07 AM PDT

    When to use Vue/React

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    I am building a One Pager with some cool animations, sliders etc. I am not that experienced with Vue.js but I've built some web apps with it. When it comes to onepagers where the content won't get updated that often, do you use Vue/React or just HTML CSS JS? And why?

    submitted by /u/Emilek1337
    [link] [comments]

    Linking to files to be displayed as plaintext in the browser

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 11:22 AM PDT

    I have Jekyll project hosted on Github Pages. In that project I have a link

    <a href='/path/to/my/file.ext'>My File</a> 

    I want the browser to navigate to that file as if it were a webpage and display it in plaintext. Currently, clicking on it brings up the open/save file dialog. What are my options?

    submitted by /u/russianaut
    [link] [comments]

    Dev question regarding mobile containers

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 11:02 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm a designer working with a developer to make a new page for our company. The developer is less versed in web development so I'm trying to help as much as I can.

    I'm looking for the correct terms and perhaps process lead/code to create a scrollify effect within a mobile browser. Our current desktop testbed is here: https://cylineasoft.bitbucket.io/HTML/index.html

    But this does not work on a mobile phone. It scrolls endlessly as normal and has no responsive containers.

    What do I need to do so that we can have this responsive on a mobile as well? Creating a totally separate mobile page is fine.

    I had a working version made out of the Massive Dynamic Wordpress theme that I've since broke (and we're not using WordPress). The way it worked was that it detected when the container was swapped to a new "panel" and played its scroll animation. This worked on mobile and had a separate child container for the content of the panel that would scroll until either a hard/long scroll was detected or the child panel reached the bottom of its content.

    This is the Massive Dynamic demo with that effect: http://theme.pixflow.net/massive-dynamic/digital-agency/

    Any insight? I may simply tell them to continue the page as an endless scroll and have the background black but I'd like to look into this option as it's cleaner.

    Sorry I'm dumb

    submitted by /u/Voidz0id
    [link] [comments]

    What should i do?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 11:00 AM PDT

    I am making my new website, and i don't know if i should make all the HTML first and then move on to CSS. Or should i make 1 thing in HTML and then style it. Edit: thanks to everyone who has helped me:)

    submitted by /u/NoPed_04
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best practice for cleaning up files a user has uploaded to the server via my web application?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    Some context: I have an application which allows a user to upload a file. The uploaded file is saved to disk, it is read by the application, and some information about the file is returned to the front end in the API response. The user can then select a few options on the front end of the app based on the response from the file upload request. They click a button and another request is sent to a different API endpoint which will read the same file they uploaded, process data in the file, and then return output data in the API response. From here, the user may choose some different options and send another request to the API to process the data again; the file is read, and the output data is returned to the front end. I want the file to persist on disk because the user may choose to run several different variants of the data processing logic on their uploaded file, and I don't want the user to have to upload the file each time. At a certain point, the user will be satisfied with the output of the data processing and navigate away from my application. After this, I don't need the file to persist on the server any more.

    My question is this: what is the best practice for cleaning up the files users have uploaded? My initial thoughts are to have a scheduled task on the server which runs daily, deleting any uploaded files older than n days from my application folder. However, I'm wondering if there are any better practices for managing or cleaning up file resources which have been uploaded to the server. Or am I going against best practices by saving the file to disk in the first place, and should look into different way to persist the data contained in the file the user has uploaded?

    submitted by /u/GIS-dev
    [link] [comments]

    What is the difference between responsive design and cross device designs?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    title edit: What is the difference between responsive design and cross device design?

    I am reading a book currently, Beginning SVG_ A Practical Introduction to SVG Using Real-World Examples of Alex Libby, who seems to distinguish between the two elements:

    With this in mind, it's worth summarizing what we should use SVG for – in summary,

    they are perfect where we need:

    [...]

    Graphics that need to be displayed in multiple sizes and screens; => responsive I assume

    Graphics that respond to their device; => cross device

    I though responsive design and cross device was the same thing, now I am wondering how one would appreciate the difference between theses two, a fortiori concerning SVG graphical elements?

    thanks for any hint

    submitted by /u/JoonDoe
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment