• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 28, 2019

    MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python starts today. learn programming

    MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python starts today. learn programming


    MIT's Introduction to Computer Science and Programming Using Python starts today.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 01:10 PM PDT

    For those of you who are interested, MIT's popular Introduction to Computer Science and Programming course starts today. I took the previous iteration of the class but had to drop out due to time constraints. I registered and intend to complete it this time around. It's a really well designed course that goes through the basic topics of computer science. The assignments are challenging, but you will learn a lot from completing them. I highly recommend it!

    Link: https://www.edx.org/course/6-00-1x-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-using-python-3

    submitted by /u/Meiryoku
    [link] [comments]

    “This” in JavaScript

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 04:00 AM PDT

    I'm having trouble understanding the concept of "this" in JavaScript and when it needs to be used. Any advice or resources you've found helpful? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Crammed11Cookies
    [link] [comments]

    How many projects needed in a programming portfolio?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:13 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I am a self taught programmer (mainly in Web development and Windows desktop applications development) who has taught myself HTML/CSS, JavaScript, PHP, C# and Python. I have started three projects on my own, all for the sake of learning and for something to put in my portfolio and have been working on these projects for 5 months now. Two of them are websites (one already completed, the other still working on), and the other one is a Windows Email Client desktop app written in C# (still finishing up on). I am currently interested in freelancing (starting from entry level and working my way to the top) and want to get started right away, starting at the bottom. I know that a programming portfolio is required, especially for freelancing when you're self-taught, but is it okay to put one completed project, or do I need to finish the others? And is three projects sufficient?

    submitted by /u/rbuen4455
    [link] [comments]

    Introduction to programming?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:26 PM PDT

    I'm really interested in learning python to get started coding! The issue I have is that I currently don't have the money for a computer. Is there a way to learn through my phone (iOS)? I'm in the process of saving but just wondering if I can get a jump start on it before I have the computer. Also, is there a recommended computer? Sorry kinda going in blind besides reading what the intro reddit post had to offer. Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/iskate808
    [link] [comments]

    Code mentor

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 10:46 PM PDT

    Good evening , I recently graduated with my BS in computer science. I have experience in c++, with little experience in java and python. I got a few entry level job offers but they are in c# which they would train me in, but since I just had a baby I can't trade the offer right now. I'm looking for a platform where I can learn c# besides YouTube and someone who would like to mentor me and help me learn and give me project as well as project advice to work on.

    submitted by /u/MochiMomma
    [link] [comments]

    What type of program could a beginner write that makes use of all the basics?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 05:35 PM PDT

    I plan on making a C programming tutorial and I'm trying to figure out what kind of program would best utilize all of the basics. I'm looking for something that requires: memory management, pointers, splitting code up into multiple files, structures and user input. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BizbudYT
    [link] [comments]

    What are recommended resources for skill development? Both professionally (certifications such as IT, marketable skills, profile development) and privately (knowledge resources, philosophy, best practices, useful life skills). Any good books, online resources, guides and tips?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 11:19 PM PDT

    Hi, I am looking for good resources for personal skill development, especially w.r.t IT and programming. Both professionally (certifications such as IT, marketable skills, profile development) and privately (knowledge resources, philosophy, best practices, useful computer skills). Any good books, online resources, guides and tips you'd recommend?

    My profile is an independent-contractor/freelancer, living in Belgium, ~30 years old who is aiming towards self-development, staying up-to-date and developing my skills. I have a Master of Engineering in Computer Science, a PhD in computer science, 4-months work experience as software architect in a company and a broad range of interests (including wine, finances, travelling and exploring the world, smart home automation / IoT, investments, reading, software in general). I can choose my own time and am financially stable. Thus, I mainly do this as a part-time way to help explore my horizons and myself.

    As such, I am looking towards self-development and advice on how and what to do in what fits my profile. Anything that proves added value towards my person is welcome, such as certified skills for LinkedIn profile.

    Any general advice is welcome! This is a broad question so feel free to recommend anything you think can help grow my programming skills. Such as networking tips, jobboards, freelance sites and remote work opportunities, opinions about blogs/personal website, online courses/projects/open-source, certificates, worthwhile skills to learn online, ...

    submitted by /u/Kalenden
    [link] [comments]

    how can i make a site and a database like this?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 04:48 PM PDT

    https://www.thewordfinder.com AND https://www.palavras.net on this sites you can put some letters and they will show you a lot of words containing those letters.

    How can i make a site and a database with the words that i want to be showed on the results? Any idea?

    submitted by /u/loiro96pass
    [link] [comments]

    Xamarin. Games vs Functional Apps? Opinions?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 10:21 PM PDT

    I've been looking more into mobile development and came across Xamarin. I'm curious as to whether or not it's worth learning xamarin rather than taking time to learn independent languages like swift for iOS and then learning java for android. Is this a good thing to learn? Worth the time and is it applicable?

    submitted by /u/4TheMomentYT
    [link] [comments]

    Technical interview

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 06:29 PM PDT

    Does anyone have any tips for a technical/whiteboarding interview or ways to study for one? I'm applying to jobs that are front end dev (HTML, CSS, JavaScript, TypeScript, Angular). I just started a coding boot camp 8 weeks ago so I'm feeling a bit nervous!

    submitted by /u/Crammed11Cookies
    [link] [comments]

    Why isnt any of my commas working???? :(

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 10:12 PM PDT

    So i'm working in Raptor Flowchart and im trying to write the following into an assignment (Display "Here is the value that you entered: ", age) but anytime i do, it says that COMMA is unexpected. I've tried looking everywhere, but i have no idea why it wont go through, especially since i copied it down exactly like in the textbook

    submitted by /u/Greyhound53
    [link] [comments]

    Super

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 06:14 PM PDT

    Not a question. I just had to share this with anyone that could understand. Apologize up front.

    My 10 year old daughter was in the other room while ago and I heard her calling. "Super!...super?" I finally went in and she had a question on her homework. I answered it and asked her why she was yelling "super". "That's how you get the parent class." I do listen to those boring lessons you watch." Blew my mind.

    submitted by /u/dustynwindy
    [link] [comments]

    Quirks of creating a C++ class nowadays?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 05:45 AM PDT

    When I first started programming in C++ a looong time ago, a class was defined like this:

    // myclass.h class MyClass { public: MyClass(int var); virtual ~MyClass(); private: int m_var; }; // myclass.cpp MyClass::MyClass(int var) : m_var(var) { } MyClass::~MyClass() { } 

    How would I do this nowadays? Is a destructor still necessary? Should it be virtual? Is the explicit keyword recommended, and where? What other things should I know that are different from 10 years ago?

    Edit: Also, are there any improvements to subclass's constructor? Back in the day you had to redefine every single argument, e.g.

    MySubclass::MySubclass(int a, int b, int c, int d) : MyBaseClass(a, b, c), m_d(d) { } 

    Compare to Python where you can just use "catch all arguments" and forward them to the base class:

    class MySubclass(MyBaseClass): def __init__(self, *args, d, **kwargs): super().__init__(*args, **kwargs) self.d = d 

    Does C++ have anything similar, i.e. an easy way to use base class's constructors in neat ways?

    submitted by /u/ihamsukram
    [link] [comments]

    JavaScript: Function kinda works, but output is weird.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:41 PM PDT

    So I tried to write my first recursive function, and it even kinda works. It's a script that is supposed to convert an input to binary.

    let input = 6; let base = 2; let converted = []; // expected output is [0,1,1] which, when reversed, is 6 in binary. console.log(converted); function convert(input, base, array) { array.push(input % base); console.log("input: " + input + ", base: " + base + ", Array: " + array); let number = Math.floor(input/base); if (number==0) {; return array; } else { convert(number, base, array); } } console.log(convert(input, base, converted).reverse()); 

    The output looks like this:

    [] 0:0 1:1 2:1 length: 3__proto__: Array(0) // Why is this not empty? input: 6, base: 2, Array: 0 // input: 3, base: 2, Array: 0,1 // These are the ones logged from within the function input: 1, base: 2, Array: 0,1,1 // undefined // Why is this undefined? 

    I know function definitions are hoisted in JavaScript, but they shouldn't be executed unless I actually call them, correct? But here I define an empty array, and the first thing I do is log it to the console - yet it shows up as [1, 1, 0]. I don't get it.

    I also don't get why I get "undefined" when trying to log the results in the last line. The function returns an array, so in my current understanding it should log to the console with no problem. Why doesn't it?

    submitted by /u/phigr
    [link] [comments]

    Question About WebSite Login And Logouts...

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:36 PM PDT

    Edit (Solved) : Thanks to u/Disastrous_Internal i've got what i asked for. Using cookies without expire date is doing it.

    In case someone needs it here how i did (I dont know if there is a better way but this works...) ;

    <script src="[https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/js-cookie@2/src/js.cookie.min.js](https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/js-cookie@2/src/js.cookie.min.js)"></script>

    Cookies.set('username', 'eagleclw', {path: '/' }); ---> SET

    Cookies.get('username'); ---> GET

    Cookies.remove('username'); ---> DELETE

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I'm trying you make a website which can hold used logged in after the website is closed (that tab only), but logout the user after whole browser is closed.

    So onbeforeunload doesnt works for me because it catches tab closing event too. I want to know if the whole browser is closed not just a one tab.

    For example; "amazon" holds your login even after you closed amazon tab but watching something at "youtube".

    But it logs you off after you closed the whole browser.

    I've tried to hold user informations and remove them after closing with localStorage and cookies but couldnt do what i want.

    Any suggestions about how to do it would be great...

    Trying to do it with JavaScript / JQuery...

    submitted by /u/EagleClw
    [link] [comments]

    What would it take to write software that converts handwriting to digital text?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:35 PM PDT

    There are existing apps such as Pen to Print which translate scanned handwriting into text, but don't allow you to easily edit text on a laptop. I am an utter newbie to programming, and I was wondering what it would take to write a program that:

    Takes photos of handwriting w/phone camera --> Translates that handwriting to text --> Automatically uploads that text to a text file on your laptop (or a Notion doc) --> Then allows you to edit out all the mistranslations + typos.

    What would I need to learn in order to build such a software? (languages, libraries, how to build a plug-in, etc)

    submitted by /u/lightblubhotel
    [link] [comments]

    Should I learn Python Flask or Node Express first?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    If I am a brand new Developer interested in working as a Full-Stack Web Developer, should I be starting with learning Python Flask or Node Express first?

    I'm asking because Harvard's CS 50 Intro to Programming course is one of the most solid intro to computer science out there, and the course teaches Python and Flask, not Node Express.

    So even if I wanted to do Full-Stack JavaScript with Node/Express, if I take CS 50 to get a solid intro, I will end up learning Python Flask anyways.

    In that case, should I chronologically take CS 50, learn Python Flask FIRST before even touching Node / Express?

    My end goal like I mentioned is to be a Full-Stack Web Developer.

    submitted by /u/csthrowaway9208
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of jobs are Java, Python, SQL, and R most closely related to (or relevant to)?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 09:21 PM PDT

    While trying to narrow down the fields I'm most interested in, I have tried expanding the languages I know or am learning and have gained a solid grip on java, python, and SQL (and I'm still learning R)--but what kinds of jobs are these languages most helpful for? What's the best way to narrow down all the programming fields out there and decide what you like?

    submitted by /u/becky-c-g
    [link] [comments]

    Web Scraping? Walmart App for prices

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am in the attempts to become a baker and I have thought it would be useful to make an simple phone app that can provide cost of goods for generic great value branded ingredients (as a rough estimate). I'm not ecstatic with any websites right now, and its tough to find an app that performs well. I am also unaware of any that scrapes prices.

    In my past, I have done a little bit of html, css, and php just messing around, as well as used R for statistics.

    My question would be what is the best language to approach this in. I have an android, so learning java and making a native app seems practical. But given I am a little bit more comfortable (as in it doesn't look foreign) with html, css, and php, would making a webview app that could be compiled into use for both iphone and android?

    submitted by /u/Novel_spite
    [link] [comments]

    How would I go about making a navigation system in python?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:37 PM PDT

    For a computing class of mine, We have to created a navigation system of our school. Basically, we have 8 locations, and the user chooses 4, after this the program will print the quickest way to visit all these places.

    submitted by /u/Code-Man-1
    [link] [comments]

    Are programming bootcamps worth it?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:29 PM PDT

    Curious about what value you guys place on programming boot camps and if some are far better than others?

    Trying to learn Js on my own and am toying with doing one of the ASU coding boot camps.

    Any info helps, thank you!

    submitted by /u/BigJnasty
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to work with extremely large code bases, whiteout having to download,storage the locally on your device?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Noob question here and I'm not sure if my question is even valid.

    I want to get use to working with large code bases but don't want to store all those files locally on my device.

    How do people work with large code bases in the real world?

    Do their IDE connect to some "cloud" base editor, so when they unplug their laptop all the code stays in the "cloud"?

    Is there something like that for personal use?

    Or should I just download all the files and storage it in a Separate hard drive for storage and just plug it in when I want to work on it?

    submitted by /u/SpareTech_O
    [link] [comments]

    How Would I include a while loop?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    Here is my assignment, I am confused on how i would include a while loop.

    Assignment Instructions

    Your goal is to create a flowchart and a pseudocode for a program that allows a user to enter the make, model, purchase price, and monthly payment for a car. The program will output the number of months it will take to pay off the car.

    Please make sure to use the following instructions:

    · The program should not contain any modules.

    · Use at least one while loop in your program. Do not use for or any other kind of loop.

    · Keep things effective and efficient; do not try to account for incorrect user input.

    submitted by /u/Tylernal
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a large data set of pictures for each for the Eevee evolutions.

    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 07:52 PM PDT

    Hello, this might not be for the subreddit but I'm looking for a large data set of pictures for each of the Eevee evolutions from the game Pokemon. I'm trying to build a project using tensorflow to identify different images of Eevees. But I have been looking through the internet and can't find enough pictures for the machine to learn. If there is another method, I would happily listen. Thank you for your time and help.

    submitted by /u/HopingToGoToCarnegie
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment