• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 25, 2019

    Just released v1.0 of Flecs, an Entity Component System for C99! (GH: SanderMertens/flecs)

    Just released v1.0 of Flecs, an Entity Component System for C99! (GH: SanderMertens/flecs)


    Just released v1.0 of Flecs, an Entity Component System for C99! (GH: SanderMertens/flecs)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 12:16 AM PDT

    New to game design & development, any tips, advice and resources?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    Hello everyone. I've just stumbled across this sub to look for tips and have discussions with other developers.

    So.. I've always been interested in game design and development, as I've been gaming on the daily for over 12 years. I've never even attempted to develop games in the past as I've never had the time to learn the certain programming languages required, especially now I have a daughter.

    A few weeks back, I checked out a few courses on Udemy that were on offer and decided to pick a couple up. The courses I have are for beginners and will teach me to develop 2D and 3D games for mobile and PC. I've decided to start off by learning C# and developing in the Unity software for mobile.

    I've come together with my other half and a friend of mine to get a little studio together to focus on designing and developing. My partner is experienced with business and my friend is a graphic design graduate, looking to learn game design.

    I'm mostly wondering whether you think it's a good way to start by building simple mobile games and then progress to games for PC?

    Any tips, advice and resources would be greatly appreciated!

    Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/OneFoxGames
    [link] [comments]

    Free 3D low poly assets (weekly update)

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    Tileson - A Tiled json parser for modern C++.

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 06:38 AM PDT

    Hello!
    I've created a Tiled json parser utilizing modern C++.
    Along with parsing Tiled maps in json formats, there are a few helpful features built in: Like getting Tiled colors as objects, or getting regular tiles as a 2D tile map with positions. You can also easily get property data from several Tiled objects supporting properties.

    If this sounds interesting, you can check out the library here:
    https://github.com/SSBMTonberry/tileson

    The library should be fully compatible with the latest version of Tiled.
    If you got any suggestions on useful future features, or if you find any bugs, feel free to report them :)
    - Robin.

    submitted by /u/SSBMTonberry
    [link] [comments]

    gonna look like an idiot, but.....

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 10:55 AM PDT

    So I've been messing around a while now with unity, as I'm in a college course for gamedev. We haven't done anything in 3d yet, just 2d. We also didn't do anything on rotation....

    So over my summer break, I wanted to just make a small Tank controlled game. Didn't get to practice much over the summer, so the past day or two, just messed around.

    I have a room, and movement and all that good stuff, but if you know tank controls (Resident Evil, Silent Hill) Left and Right rotate the character.

    I cannot for the life of me figure out why exactly I am unable to rotate a simple box. So... yeah, my dumb ass has to ask, what am I doing wrong. I've tried looking at KeyPress and all that good stuff, but.... nothing!

    SO, below is the simple little script that should have worked (AFAIK). What am I doing wrong to rotate the cube around the Y-Axis? I figure I'm missing something......

    void Update()

    {

    print(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal"));

    print(Input.GetAxis("Vertical"));

    transform.Translate(Input.GetAxis("Horizontal") * Time.deltaTime, 0f, 0f);

    transform.Rotate(0f, Input.GetAxis("Vertical") * Time.deltaTime, 0f);

    }

    Thanks in advanced for any replies or help folks can give to a newbie.

    submitted by /u/SeraphimEx18
    [link] [comments]

    Steam Follower Count Analysis: September 2-6. Median game has 14 followers, Bottom 80% account for 1.79% of total followers. Full datasheet included.

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 10:47 PM PDT

    Hi folks, my game is launching during this period, and I've conducted this analysis anyway to understand its position. I thought I would share the dataset with you, and perhaps turn it into a semi-regular update. I wanted to do this analysis properly, consistently, and publicly, after seeing some other attempts at discussion on Gamasutra and Reddit.

    Here's the data, in case you just want to dive in. Otherwise read on for an explanation.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HzJWXOvWhyH0hTaARD5-6JbKsDY1HeCwFC6ZE6fMeHw/edit?usp=sharing

    Explanation / Methodology:

    Follower count is roughly correlated to the interest levels in a certain game, and interest levels will heavily influence sales. Follower count is also publicly available information, for all games. By recording the follower count as close to launch as possible, we can establish a consistent baseline to compare games against eachother.

    You can get the data from SteamDB here: https://steamdb.info/upcoming/

    I found out about this thanks to Simon Carless' blog: https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/SimonCarless/20190814/348750/Steams_Follower_counts__hidden_in_plain_sight.php

    As far as we know, there is no incentive for Developers to influence Follower numbers, in order to get a better position with the algorithm, so the data remains relatively pure. And finally with the recent changes to release dates (Steam Support authorisation required to change them), and from my observations of the increased breadth/diversity of games on the Upcoming list, the accuracy of these launch dates is likely to be fairly good and un-gamed.

    Results:

    • 106 games launching in the selected week (September 2 - 6)
    • Average # of followers: 796. Median # of followers: 14. Be very careful when anyone tries to share with you information based on 'average' Steam data! :-D
    • Top 20% of games account for 98.21% of all followers
    • The bottom 50% of games account for 0.33% of all followers

    Discussion / Opinion:

    I conducted the same analysis last week, for the week earlier's dataset (from SteamHype) and saw the same kind of results, in terms of the distribution of followers, and the general quality of games.

    After burying my head into this data for many hours, and browsing most of the Steam pages for the games being released, I contend that follower count is fairly accurately aligned to game quality. I saw no examples of AAA-level games with low follower counts, or vice versa. Only a handful of Steam pages actively called on visitors to follow their game.

    Generally Steam releases seem to stratify as follows:

    Top 10% AAA/Publisher games

    Next 10%: Commercial Indie Games, including one-man games

    Next 5% Commercial Indie Games, including one-man games, who have chosen a niche genre (including VR or controller-only) or seem to have a lower marketing effort

    Bottom 75%: Hobby projects and low-investment ports from mobile or pre Windows 7 Operating Systems

    The consistent element across the bottom 75% of games:

    - Poor graphical or promotional art quality - No active discussions - No announcements - No Discord channel - English as the only supported language, or English + the developer's native language - Very low system requirements

    A typical Top 10% game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/996580/Spyro_Reignited_Trilogy/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

    A typical Next 10% Indie game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/706850/Devader/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

    A typical Next 5% Indie game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1088950/Touring_Karts/

    A typical bottom 75% game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1005420/Mental_House/?curator_clanid=4777282&utm_source=SteamDB

    Limitations:

    • I need to conduct this analysis for a few more weeks to be more sure of the conclusions. There might be more 'hobbyist' games during Summer, when people have the time to work on them.

    Speculation / Recommendations:

    • Customers have done a pretty good job at recognising quality and following it (and vice versa).
    • Prior to this analysis, my perception of the Steam store was that approximately: 50% games were low-effort / low-customer-interest titles, 30% Indie, 20% publisher/AAA/III.. Seeing it as 75% on the bottom was surprising. I suppose this is 'credit' to the Steam algorithm which hides so many titles so effectively. The smaller share of the top games might just be due to the time of year though.
    • Put yourself in the Steam Algorithm's digital shoes: you're a new Steam Direct submission, with no publisher, and no direct relationship with Valve: its 'safe' to guess that your game is going to be low customer-interest, and to therefore direct as little traffic to you as possible. Legitimate Indie commercial developers have no 'direct' method of overcoming this right now.
    • If you want to make and submit a game to Steam commercially - I would look at the types of games hitting 150 followers, and aim for that level of quality as a minimum. Otherwise, you're likely to get lost in the noise.

    (Probably more to come)

    Here's the data link again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HzJWXOvWhyH0hTaARD5-6JbKsDY1HeCwFC6ZE6fMeHw/edit?usp=sharing

    Discussion welcomed.

    submitted by /u/RichardEast
    [link] [comments]

    I’m wanna be a game developer but don’t know where to start

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 07:00 AM PDT

    I'm starting college this week but my school doesn't offer any CS classes. Does anyone know if there's any online courses (free or not) where I can start out and/or any development kits that are good for beginners?

    submitted by /u/usdaprimecutebeef
    [link] [comments]

    For anyone considering a long-term, large project

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Hello!

    As I'm about to change my work schedule from full-time for the past 3.5 years down to part-time, I decided to write an article discussing personal issues related to long-term development on your own.

    https://www.tesselarts.com/Blog/Index/014

    It's aimed for anyone considering a long-term project, or already undertaking one... or anyone just curious.

    I'd love to hear any feedback or answer any further questions about it! If anyone's interested in the time and space engine I'm developing, Twitter is probably the best place for regular updates although my website will remain active too. I'm aiming to post a more up-to-date trailer tomorrow (fingers crossed)!

    https://twitter.com/TesselArts

    submitted by /u/TesselArts
    [link] [comments]

    Out of coursity how dose a dev team compile all the different versions of the game into one build?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 10:32 AM PDT

    For example, let's say an animator implemented a new animation while a level designer made a new gray box prototype. How do they get put together into one build?

    submitted by /u/ScoutOdst1711
    [link] [comments]

    Need helping staring my first 2d game

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 10:17 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/4Qp5H6q Here's a picture of my game board. In trying to make a board game, pretty similar to chess, each player has a few different types of units, that can move in ways that are unique to that unit. The map has dead zones that are impassable and water that let's you move faster. I have unity downloaded. My questions is where do I go next I have no idea how to program the game logic ie how the pieces move. Can someone provide me with resources and things I'll need to learn moving forward

    submitted by /u/TheShadowOfPie
    [link] [comments]

    I LOVE RPG Maker MV! Also, Thank you guys so much!

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 05:08 AM PDT

    So, a while back, I made a post on here asking for tips on starting game development, because I was feeling discouraged. The posts I got encouraged me to start developing games again, and it got me to finish an old project I was working on months ago. I also bought RPG Maker MV because it was on sale for only $20 as opposed to $80.

    HOLY SHIT, is it easy to use! I always talked about that anxiety feeling whenever I get stuck on a game development project. This time, however, I didn't get that feeling at all! In fact, I was having a blast making my game.

    I'm guessing the reason it's so easy to use is because it's limited in what it can do. With something like Clickteam Fusion or Game Maker, you can make anything you want, but you can only make either an RPG or an Adventure game on RPG Maker. Still, when I talked about making my dream game, one of those was an RPG, and I actually finished Chapter 1 of my first RPG Maker game, Neckbeard Quest. It's available on Gamejolt if you guys wanna see it.

    Honestly, I couldn't have done it without you guys. You gave me the inspiration I needed, and I thank you for that. If you want to see my Gamejolt, send me a PM.

    submitted by /u/0m4r_Dewd
    [link] [comments]

    Notes from Steam Roundtable at Gamescom

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 04:14 PM PDT

    A little while ago, I found a link to apply for a roundtable meeting with Steam at Gamescom and I said why not and applied. In about two weeks I received an e-mail that our meeting was scheduled.

    It was kind of strange as I was working mainly on Steam games for the last 9 years and this was the first opportunity for me to meet some people from Steam. I didn't have the chance to attend Steam Dev Days earlier so it was exciting for me.

    When I got there, there were 8-9 developers of various sizes and 3 people from Steam. We introduced ourselves and asked questions. Here are some of the notes I took if you are interested:

    - Some changes are coming to the store in a few weeks. They are willing to introduce some new features that would enable developers to interact with their playerbase. It will mainly affect ongoing operation games (games that are being regularly updated / maintained) but single release games would benefit from them as well.

    - Wishlists matter when they want to feature some games on the store but there is no set wishlist amount and they don't see wishlists as a hard indicator as it's open to being manipulated. (But when it comes to featuring games it seems that they don't have many other selection method)

    - It's the year 2019 and Steam still doesn't have an ad tracking method. They feel a little uneasy about it when I asked the question. The main problem is that people don't open the ad link or even if they click on the ad link they re-open the store on their client and they lost track of the customer. They have some plans on solving this soon and it's in their to do list.

    - they can't promise continuous communication but they showed their intend they are willing to be much closer to the devs from now on.

    - Some changes to the library system is on its way along with an update for China.

    - The intention of October changes wasn't to change the emphasis of some games over the other ones. When they realize the changes might have negative effects on some group of people they try to minimze the negative effects. (I think they also slightly mentioned they reverted what has been done after October changes but I am sceptical on that)

    These were the topics we have discussed in an hour. It was a warm welcome and I hope they do this every year (when I told them this, they laughed as a courtesy to my joke, I wasn't joking )

    submitted by /u/buraktezateser
    [link] [comments]

    How good Steam Coupons work? Is there any statistic?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 12:03 PM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    We are thinking on a possibility to send out steam discount coupons to the owners of our previous game, and not gonna lie I'm pretty intrigued on how it may go.

    Does anyone of you fellow devs know anything about it? Any statistics maybe like Amount of coupons versus Amount of purchases etc. ?

    P.S. Thank you all in advance, this subreddit is pure gold, love you all. Peace.

    submitted by /u/magestiq
    [link] [comments]

    Paying someone to put my sprites into a fighting game?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    If I had sprites with walking and action animations, how much would it cost/how would it work if I wanted to get them into a PC fighting game? I know of games like Mugen and such, would it be possible to put these sprites of mine into a game like that easily? I myself don't have any programming experience, so looking for any kind of advice I can get. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/Thejohnnycheese
    [link] [comments]

    Fully Procedural Stylized Wood Smart Material - Substance Painter 2019

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    How to make a Ragdoll in Unity 3D (No Code)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 10:05 AM PDT

    Signals Implemented in ECS

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 05:57 AM PDT

    How do I get into game design?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 09:36 AM PDT

    I have previous experience working with java and I really want to get into game design using engines like unreal. Is there any suggestions people could provide me with as to how to get into game design, what I need to learn, and resources that might be helpful for me. Thank you very much my kind ladies and gentlemen!

    submitted by /u/iLikeZhengmBuns
    [link] [comments]

    Soundtrack Sunday #448 - Endless Music

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 09:01 PM PDT

    Post music and sounds that you've been working on throughout this week (or last (or whenever, really)). Feel free to give as much constructive feedback as you can, and enjoy yourselves!

    Basic Guidelines:

    • Do not link to a page selling music. We are not your target audience.
    • Do not link to a page selling a game you're working on. We are not your target audience.
    • It is highly recommended that you use SoundCloud to host and share your music.

    As a general rule, if someone takes the time to give feedback on something of yours, it's a nice idea to try to reciprocate.

    If you've never posted here before, then don't sweat it. New composers of any skill level are always welcome!


    Previous Soundtrack Sundays

    submitted by /u/Sexual_Lettuce
    [link] [comments]

    Nintendo Switch Devkit access response time?

    Posted: 24 Aug 2019 04:38 PM PDT

    For those that have received developer access for Nintendo Switch, how long did it take? I emailed the Third Party email account, and got a message a week later that I'd be getting a response between 2 to 4 weeks but...we're at a few days shy of 2 months from that. We've been accepted to showcase our game at Tokyo Game Show and I'd love to say we're going to do our best to release on Switch but without confirmation (or even a rejection) we have nothing. I did send an additional email about 2 weeks ago, just to see if there was a decision made, and that email hasn't gotten a response either.

    Is this common? Is there something I'm not doing? I don't know if that 2-4 weeks is a "fuzzy number" but like I said before, it'd be an awesome way to promote our game to the Japanese market more to say we're shooting for a Switch release.

    submitted by /u/heartstringsdev
    [link] [comments]

    Unity Multiplayer 2D Platformer Tutorial (Part 7) - Boss Encounter

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    I already know programming, should I learn art or music first?

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 08:39 AM PDT

    Hello, I'm already proficient in programming and I've started playing with Unity about 3 months ago and I love it so far! My goal is to make 2D games, which have pixel art style.

    Since there's a lot to learn in terms of art and music what should I focus on first?

    I've already tried to make some art in Clip Studio and Aseprite and so far it is going okay (it sucks) but I'm sure it will improve with time.

    submitted by /u/MetonymyQT
    [link] [comments]

    30 Seconds Sound Design - Digital Aim (Halo Style)

    Posted: 25 Aug 2019 04:21 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment