• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 12, 2019

    I have an interview for a Dev job! learn programming

    I have an interview for a Dev job! learn programming


    I have an interview for a Dev job!

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    So I have an interview for a dev job at my company. The unified communications team decided that they wanted to open a position for someone to start working some automation stuff and make some home brew applications for their team to use. I work in PC support and I've actually been creating applications for the team since I started almost two years ago and my recent project has caught the eyes of multiple departments that want to see me finish it.

    Not really anything for questions and the like since I've been lookup up how interviews go for this since I started programming, but I just wanted to share and I'm really psyched for this!

    Interview is Jun 17th at 11AM Pacific. I'll do a follow up on how I feel I did after that!

    submitted by /u/SG_Moto
    [link] [comments]

    Friendly reminder that there are multiple ways to solve a problem

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 02:54 AM PDT

    I just had a programming fundamentals exam today, and in this course we were taught the basics of C. I got so hung up about trying to write code in a particular way similar to how we were shown in lectures to solve a problem that was similar to ones I had already seen before. I was tunnel-visioning without even realising it. This ended up confusing me because I wanted so badly to write it in that ONE way, not the way that made most sense to me (even if that meant repetitive lines). I only realised this when I had like 10mins left but i'm glad I took something away from the exam, if only this.

    When you're starting out, there is no best way to solve a problem. Code with fewer lines does not mean anything if you yourself don't understand how to solve the problem completely.

    I don't know if anything I said made sense. I just had this lightbulb go off 10mins before the time was up, oh well!

    submitted by /u/Suuki_
    [link] [comments]

    Python help -- Pizza Shop Assignment

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 05:22 PM PDT

    Hello, I am doing a python assignment where I compute the cost of an order at a pizza shop, and it is supposed to help me learn how to use arbitrary numbers of arguments. Here is the assignment:

    You work at a pizza restaurant, which is starting to accept orders online. You need to provide a python function that will accept an arbitrary order as its arguments, and compute the correct price for the order.

    Your cost-calculator function should have four arguments:

    • pizzas
    • drinks
    • wings
    • coupon

    A single pizza order is formed as a list of toppings. For example

    • A pizza with no toppings (other than cheese and sauce is: [] (an empty list)
    • A pizza with pepperoni and a double order of olives is : ["pepperoni", "olives", "olives"]

    An arbitrary number of pizzas may be ordered, including no pizzas as all

    Drinks come in as a named order (i.e. a keyword argument 'drinks'). If drinks are ordered, they are specified as a list of sizes (possible sizes: "small", "medium", "large", "tub"). For example, drinks=["small", "small", "large"]would indicate an order including two small drinks and a large drink.

    Wings come in as a named order as well (keyword argument 'wings'). If wings are ordered, they are specified as a list of integers (possible sizes: 10, 20, 40, 100). For example, wings=[20]would indicate a single order of 20-piece wings.

    A coupon may be specified as the keyword argument 'coupon'. It is will be a single floating point number between 0 and 1. This indicates the fraction of the pre-tax price that is to be subtracted. For example coupon=.25would indicate a 25%-off coupon.

    A 6.25% tax is applied to every order. The tax is computed on the total cost of the order before a coupon is applied

    Round the price to the nearest cent, using the built-in function round. round(x, 2)will round xto two decimal places.

    Prices

    The prices are as follows:

    Pizza

    • $13.00

    Toppings

    • pepperoni : $1.00
    • mushroom : $0.50
    • olive : $0.50
    • anchovy : $2.00
    • ham : $1.50

    Drinks

    • small : $2.00
    • medium : $3.00
    • large : $3.50
    • tub : $3.75

    Wings

    • 10 : $5.00
    • 20 : $9.00
    • 40 : $17.50
    • 100 : $48.00

    Examples

    The following is an order for a plain pizza, a ham and anchovy pizza, two "tub"-sized drinks, with a 10%-off coupon:

    >>>cost_calculator([], ["ham", "anchovy"], drinks=["tub", "tub"], coupon=0.1) 35.61 

    This order consists only of a small drink.

    >>> cost_calculator(drinks=["small"]) 2.12 

    This is an order of two plain pizzas, a pizza with double-pepperoni, an order of a 10-piece and a 20-piece wings, and a small drink.

    >>> cost_calculator([], [], ["pepperoni", "pepperoni"], wings=[10, 20], drinks=["small"]) 60.56 

    Details

    You can assume that the front-end of the website will never pass your function erroneous orders. That is, you will never receive orders for items that do not exist nor items that contain typos.

    Consider defining individual functions responsible for computing the cost of the pizzas, drinks, and wings, respectively. Have cost_calculatorinvoke these internally. Alternatively, you can read ahead about dictionaries and make nice use of these in this problem.

    Our cost_calculator signature is empty. Part of the assignment is to come up with the correct function signature!

    Here is a link to what I've written so far. I am getting a syntax error in the signature of the cost_calculator function, and there is a carrot pointing to the asterisk before drinks. I've been trying to figure this out for a long time, and I can't seem to do it! I'm thinking it must have to do with my misunderstanding of the use of the asterisk... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

    submitted by /u/gsmith2020
    [link] [comments]

    I know the basics of Python but where do I go from here?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    I managed to learn basic python syntax (strings, dictionaries, lists and a few others) and I can write working functions that involving these things. However, I've never tried to do anything "complex" since I don't really know that much about modules or any other stuff other than basic syntax.

    Where should I go from here?

    Also, are there any python books that you would recommend that are at least intermediate level? (I'd like to master python)

    submitted by /u/EndlessIdeas
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to learn Python, have tried a few different materials but don't feel like i'm learning anything?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    I've been trying on and off to learn Python, but i'm feeling a burn out as i don't feel like im learning anything, i've tried following along codeacademy, youtube guides and various resources, currently i'm following along the "Automate the Boring stuff" on udemy, and while i'm getting a very basic grasp, i don't feel like i'm learning anything worthwhile, i'm not really sure what i'm supposed to do.

    I have the very basics such as print, str, int etc. But that's all i can do, i've heard that trying to make your own programs helps a lot, but the most i can do is a very basic print program with various user inputs, i'm really at a loss, because i don't feel like i'm learning anything.

    Sorry for the slight rant, does anyone have any ideas? I'm not really sure what i can do different, but in the end i feel like a hit a plateau while i only know literally 0.01% of Python.

    submitted by /u/cluodorc
    [link] [comments]

    Which are some recommended best courses and ways to learn more advanced developer/programmer skills such as Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, TerraForm, ... basically everything that helped bring you to a more advanced stage. Especially for devops/self-hosted/...

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 04:49 AM PDT

    Which are some recommended best courses and ways to learn more advanced developer/programmer skills such as Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, TerraForm, ... basically everything that helped bring you to a more advanced stage. Especially oriented to devops/self-hosted/... and so on stuff

    I am looking for a broad outline of guides, tutorials and resources to help me beyond what somebody with intermediate knowledge of several programming languages has.

    submitted by /u/Kalenden
    [link] [comments]

    What are some projects (simple or not) that someone should try to do at least once?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 11:40 PM PDT

    I was thinking along the lines of making a game, doing a physics simulation, making a website, implementing a genetic algorithm, or even making an NES emulator.

    A satisfying project that someone could learn a lot from.

    I personally specialized in the algorithmic/mathematical parts of CS, and didn't really get to do a lot outside of that. So I feel like I missed out on a lot, even though I thoroughly enjoy what I do and wouldn't switch to something else.

    submitted by /u/Sarcon5673
    [link] [comments]

    How long does it take to learn Python? (the basics + some advanced concepts)

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 07:14 PM PDT

    Currently, I am a higher schooler who is planning to intern at a lab (computational pathology) over the summer. For the position, I need to have an understanding of Python (need to be somewhat proficient, but not tremendously skilled).

    However, I have close to no experience coding. How long should it take to learn the basics and some of the more advanced concepts in Python?

    I have about 2 weeks with about 5-7 hours each day before my internship begins. I know this isn't a lot of time, so what topics/concepts should I prioritize if I want to successfully achieve my goals?

    (The reason why I have no experience coding yet still acquired this internship: The professor had some interesting work I wanted to participate in, but she told me my main duties would need to be computational because I was too young to work in the other areas. However, I was still interested in her work despite my lack of coding experience, which was okay with her as long as I started learning ASAP and as fast as possible.)

    submitted by /u/ezel12345
    [link] [comments]

    C-programming language, strstr() and strcmp not doing what they are supposed to do based on my understanding of them, and my program suffers as a result.

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 05:52 PM PDT

    Okay, so I've been at this for awhile and I made some serious progress.

    Code: https://pastebin.com/uqpGu8m7

    I made a program that is supposed to basically take what is inside of string A and levy strstr() against string B.

    So, if I type GeneratorRexWillKickAlexMercersDirtyPunkAss in string A and typed Rex in string B, it would iterate and iterate and then reach 'Rex' and then iterate for the value of string B , in this case: Rex. But it also had to compare the variable that stored strstr() and string B to make sure they were equal before iterating by the value of string B. However, this program defaults by iterating by 1 until the loop reaches the null terminator value.

    However, something WEIRD happens with this program.

    If I type in GeneratorRex in string A, and then Rex for String B, this program will dance around my redundancies and effectively iterate by four until it's done.

    If I type in Generator\nRex\nRex\nRex in string A and Rex in string B it will iterate by 1 each time with the loc variable holding null even though Rex exists in the String 3 TIMES, not to mention count doesn't iterate even ONCE despite me setting a condition for it to iterate once each time \n appears.

    If I type GeneratorRexWillKickAlexMercersDirtyPunkAss in string A and Rex in string B, the condition of loc is effectively set to equal the SAME thing as string b for some reason even though it is NOT supposed to do that, as it should either be the first point of String B, or NULL according to strstr() and it just keeps iterating 1 by 1 until the string is empty.

    Help me understand why this is happening and to make me do what this program was built to do.

    submitted by /u/notarutgersstudent
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally web scraped too fast

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    I wanted to grab rap lyrics from azlyrics for a tensor flow project but it was my first time web scraping. I didn't add a wait between jumping from song to song and I think my IP was blocked because I can access the page from mobile data but not WiFi. Is this likely to be a permanent ban or just a timed thing and how can I go about fixing this? I added wait times to my code however I don't know if I'll be able to run it again.

    submitted by /u/mrOmegamilkyman
    [link] [comments]

    New Grad! Career Advise

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:23 PM PDT

    I just finished my last semester of degree and want to pursue J2ee/Spring development as a primary career path but I have some internship experience in IOT(Node,Mongo) and good knowledge of SQL database -(Nothing about managing database like ETL).

    I am not really interested in front-end development. But should I learn React or Angular for better opportunities?

    I was wondering about what should my portfolio look like as I can not include every project I did because of non disclosure agreement. If anyone can help me I'd really appreciate.

    submitted by /u/dnp99
    [link] [comments]

    Aligning an element outside a CSS Grid container?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    I'm using CSS grid and producing Cards and centering them in the page with 3 columns on each row. I want a caption at the top of the left row to be dynamic when resizing it. I can't exactly put that caption inside the grid container cause it would read it as an actual grid element and place it as a square in there. The container kinda looks like this:

    grid

    Would it make sense to make a separate css grid container for the caption that uses the same styling, and just place that one caption there? It should be above the top left grid element and be in the same position when resizing the page

    submitted by /u/903109
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to earn money coding online as a teenager?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 04:17 PM PDT

    I want to eventually make a full time career out of programming(Javascript, Python, maybe C++ or something else), but I don't know where I can make the jump from intermediate to advanced..........No matter how much I write new projects and debug them, I won't necessarily know "the right stuff" desired in the work-space. I could get caught up forever in trivial stuff like Html element attributes, C++ library headers and the like, but that may not even help as much as a week of hard learning of the fundamentals. In your experience, what's best: Going after a seemingly impossible project spending as much as a month on it until you get it right, or taking an online course? Or maybe just take some time to examine some documentation on syntax?

    Anyway, I know a fair amount of JS, but I'm not ready to say I'm a professional or anything.

    Is it even possible when I don't have a college degree, adulthood, or driver's licence?

    It'd be great to flex my knowledge and make money at the same time.

    submitted by /u/ReeceTheBesat15
    [link] [comments]

    Information needed for specific project

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 11:06 PM PDT

    So after looking for a little while, I come to realize that im so new to this anymore that its a bit outside my realm of knowledge.

    I am looking to create a stand alone application that has a few key actions. Maybe I am misguided and someone has a better way of doing theses actions, i'd be more than happy to listen and if anyone has a good place to start then im all ears... or eyes. you get the point.

    So, I would like to make a stand alone application that reads a specific text file. The cross references any of the text within the target text file and cross compares it to another file or database that can be updated with things just as Time/Date/Name/Description. If the application finds a match then it simply pops up a little bubble window or notification.

    The target text file in question is consistently updated via another program. The text file only holds information that is about 20 minutes old and it dumps anything older than that. But it doesnt constantly need to be searched, it just needs to be searched on the occasional keypress.

    So the questions are: 1: What language would be best 2: Is a database going to be easier to handle/read/write into via stand alone application. 3: Which database would be best if so? 4: What sort of scale of difficulty would it be for someone fairly new to be able to create something like this? On a scale of 1/10?

    submitted by /u/EnragedLlamaTV
    [link] [comments]

    Where do i even start if i want to learn web development?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    Hi everyone i'm pretty fucking lost on what to start learning and this is my first time trying to learn something new in 4 years (had a couple of rough years but thats not the point of this post i guess), so far i've seen Python Tutorial for Beginners 2019 and The 2019 Frontend Developer Crash Course for Beginners.

    I started on python because i read somewhere that it was easy and quite popular so i gave it a try and i really liked it, then i thought about doing a little web calculator with django and thats when i realised that i had no fucking idea how to make the frontend for the calculator.

    So then i watched that 2nd video and to be completely honest, it scared the fuck out of me, i dont even know what to do now. If i want to be a web developer do i even learn python or do i just go for javascript? and i need to learn React, Vue and Angular too? do i really need to know about UI design too? (this one is actually pretty scary to me because i'm as artistic as a monkey with a pencil, i'm 22 y/o and still draw people as 5 sticks and a circle) how do people remember all the css properties? do i need to learn web security to get a job or do companies have people just dedicated to that? do i need to do research on what frameworks companies near me use and then learn whichever is the most used?

    Anyways, thanks for taking time of your day to read that wall of insecurities, as a thanks here is a cool song

    submitted by /u/plshelpimlostnscared
    [link] [comments]

    PyCharm Question

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 10:29 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Whenever I create a new project in PyCharm and I use the new virtualenv option, it creates another folder in a different spot than the main folder that holds the python files. Whenever I change the location to be the same as the new virtualenv location, I get errors creating the new project. What can I do to create the project with one folder only in one location?

    This error only happens when I create a Django project. When I create a regular PyCharm python file project, it works but I get sub-folders that include bin, library, etc. Are these the folders that include the python interpreter and other such files?

    submitted by /u/imtooop
    [link] [comments]

    Published my first Python Package!

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    I was always fascinated by python packages and the ease to use them. I always wanted to make one but never found a proper use case. Recently I was working with Elasticsearch and was not able to find a way to index json docs quickly so I made a tool which does exactly that. It uses multiprocessing to achieve the task. Here is the link to the GitHub repo - Link.

    The tool is in its early stages so let me know how to make this better :)

    submitted by /u/itsron_143
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Webscraping

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:48 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm trying to webscrape from two different websites (ie. Flight Club and Stadium Goods) to compare the differences between the prices of sneakers. Is there a code I can base off or any techniques I can use? I am a beginner and all I want is the information of: name, colorway, and price. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/crispy_coffee
    [link] [comments]

    How do I create a embeddable javascript widget?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:34 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I recently used drift in one of my projects, and I was wondering how I could create a widget like that. I am not interested in creating a messaging widget, but more so how the widget is made? Does anyone have experience in this? I was have been using Vue a lot and was hoping to see if that was a possibility here as well.

    I did find this: Vuidget, but I don't know if this is what I would be looking for.

    Thanks!

    Edit: I think Vue-custom-element is exactly what I am looking for!

    submitted by /u/Awsthr
    [link] [comments]

    Reviews of the University of London/Coursera BSc Computer Science Program?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:34 PM PDT

    I'm planning on applying for the Fall intake of the UoL/Coursera BSc CS degree but am hesitant as I can't find out much about it online. Although the degree has been around for awhile through Goldsmiths this Spring was the first time it's been offered online with UoL and Coursera, so while I'm not surprised that there aren't any comprehensive reviews I thought we'd be seeing a little more chatter online.

    Feel free to chime in with your thoughts if you've been part of the initial cohort. Specifically looking to find out if you felt the material was comprehensive, the lectures/profs informative, and how the student support has been.

    Also, if you're considering applying please jump in and share your thoughts and what information you've found.

    Link to the program for those interested:

    https://www.coursera.org/degrees/bachelor-of-science-computer-science-london

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/ryteXI
    [link] [comments]

    [Vue Javascript] computed value is immutable

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:25 PM PDT

    I'm trying to use vue multiselect and i initialized the variables using a get method to an api. I have a value in the computed attribute and this returns an array that I pieced together from two other arrays. when I use v-model to connect this array with the multiselect, it shows the proper values but then I can't click anything. multiselect stops adding or removing anything from the array. If I were to create an empty array though, then multiselect can add or remove from it. then I tried to use mounted() attribute and assigned the computed array to the empty array. This allows me to update the values but then if I were to refresh the page a few times, it shows as an empty array again.

    submitted by /u/exalino
    [link] [comments]

    UCSD drop out. Can't get into a 4 year comp Sci program. Advice?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:12 PM PDT

    Hello community!

    I am in my late 20's and i am trying to get into the computer science/ developer field.

    A little background about myself: I went to a local community college in san diego back in 2010 and got accepted to UCSD in the electrical engineer program. Unfortunately i had renal failure that same year and had to take a break from school to be on dialysis and eventually a kidney transplant. I went back to UCSD the same year i got my transplant and eventually got academic disqualified...

    I've been working as a pizza delivery driver for the last few years and i started going back to school at another community college taking computer science course to transfer to my local 4 year institution (SDSU). I keep getting denied admissions due to CSU campuses being impacted and my GPA is lower than other applicants. 3.1 gpa from community college and 1.9 in UCSD. (I can't retake course at UCSD due to the cost of a 10 week course is 2K+)

    So here I am with maxed of community courses of MATH (CALC 3), Physics(Electromagnetism), CHEM, ENGLISH and etc.

    I took C++ ,Java, Data structures and Algorithms and Assembly and just got an associates degree for computer science.

    What are some recommendations for my next step?

    I've seen some bootcamp programs in my area but i'm hesitant from reading some reddit post.

    I was also of thinking of self study software engineering path so what should i study first?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

    submitted by /u/AlertEngineer
    [link] [comments]

    Python/Java comparison

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    I just started a Python intro course, and I am totally gleeful about how much easier it seems than Java. I made a quick comparison for printing out the vowels in a test sentence. Is Java really that verbose or did I overcomplicate the solution? Thanks.

    PYTHON for letter in "This is a test sentence": if letter in "aeiou": print(letter) JAVA String sentence = "This is a test sentence"; for (char letter : sentence.toCharArray()) { String vowels = "aeiou"; for (char vowel : vowels.toCharArray()) { if (letter == vowel) { System.out.println(letter); } } } 
    submitted by /u/Sglotro
    [link] [comments]

    Other programming languages like JavaScript?

    Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:05 PM PDT

    What other programming languages are there that are similar to JS in that they * do not require a main function/method (so no C, Java, Go, etc), * use {curly brackets} for code blocks (so no Python), * use // for a single line comment


    Edit: Thank you all so much for answering my question! I reduced the list down to
    * PHP * Swift

    If you think I've missed anything, please comment below! Any answer would be appreciated


    Edit 2: Anybody who has a similar question to mine, check out Comparison of programming languages! Also thanks to /u/chaotic_thought for sharing the link in the comments 😃

    submitted by /u/minandychoi
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment