• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 23, 2019

    How common is threaded code in programming? Ask Programming

    How common is threaded code in programming? Ask Programming


    How common is threaded code in programming?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 08:43 PM PDT

    I know this is a very broad question, but I was curious on whether or not threaded code is common in industry. I tried googling it but I didn't get anything.

    I'm under the impression that threaded code is not that common, though I could be easily be wrong.

    submitted by /u/Dusicyon
    [link] [comments]

    What should I learn in my spare time as I complete my degree in Comp Sci?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 01:09 PM PDT

    Essentially I've just finished my 2nd year of Comp Sci at university and starting to feel a bit nervous and unprepared for what comes after I graduate. A lot of friends I know are already doing work experience and stuff like that but I come from a super dead area and haven't been able to get a summer internship or anything like that.

    I do have quite a lot of free time over the summer before my 3rd year starts and was thinking it'd be valuable to learn some skills that could boost my CV in the future. But I'm not quite sure what to actually do. Learn a new language (I currently only know Java and some C), maybe do my own personal project like make a game or website? I'm not really sure. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

    submitted by /u/BladesReach
    [link] [comments]

    How would you create a simple clone of Kahoot?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    Hello, I'm a CS student and I want to create a website with EXTREMELY similar characteristics to Kahoot. I know the basics of HTML, PHP, Javascript, Java and Python.

    How do I get that multi-player voting mechanism?

    submitted by /u/1-800-We-Gotz-Ass
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to create a social network?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 09:37 PM PDT

    Recently got an idea for a sort of social network and I am currently looking into how I could make this happen. I am making a site where people will log-on with their profiles, then be able to join groups based on their interests(kind of like reddit).

    I am wondering what my best approach to this situation would be?

    Am I better off trying to create this system all through code written by myself?

    Is there any language centred around this sort of stuff?

    Is there some sort of plugin or software that I can use to organize this system for me?

    Looking for advice guys, thanks!

    submitted by /u/JuanTanio
    [link] [comments]

    How are database definitions / queries managed in a production environment?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 12:13 PM PDT

    Help with a Project

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 06:52 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm really in trouble. I need help with a project I said I can complete, but its due soon and I am somewhat close but not really. I am asking for help, out of kindness. I really need help badly, I need help with JS, AJAX, HTML, and PHP. I'm working on a site. I would like to jump in a call and explain. Please anyone, I can pay you, no joke I really need help fast.

    submitted by /u/Yolobone
    [link] [comments]

    If I wanted to set a program that sends an email everytime a planes passes over me, how would I go about it?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 12:38 PM PDT

    I want to set up a program using a website that tracks current planes over your location and send a prewritten email to a predetermined email address.

    My background is in mathematics but I'm not alien to Java and logic in general. Does it have to be Java?

    submitted by /u/looooboooo
    [link] [comments]

    OOP in small projects

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 05:38 AM PDT

    I currently do not work as developer, and mainly work on process improvements using Excel, but would like a developer role instead. I have been writing procedural code at work in vba, but learning oop in my own time. My question is should I start using an oop style when writing my VBA code?, even if the project is small and could only be sensibly split into one class. I am thinking that it will be good practice for a developer role, but if you have one class, surely the main method will just call the objects methods sequentially, and having an object will be completely pointless, making my code worse?

    submitted by /u/oreomagic
    [link] [comments]

    Job posts ask for this programming language, where to start?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 04:17 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    So I am working in investment management industry and recently been looking into job ads to change a company. And some of them ask investment analysts and portfolio managers to know these type of programming languages or to have these skills:

    R or Phyton

    or Python (or other programming language) to write reusable and testable code to develop tools, and improve process efficiency for reporting and calculation automation.

    or R, Python, or SQL

    or experience with SQL, Python\VBA

    or strong programming skills with experience in Matlab or other statistical packages such as R, SAS, and SPlus. Object oriented programming experience a plus.

    So I hope there is someone who could advise me where to start and what to start with. Cause I have simply no idea on these things and my buddy Java(react) developer does not too.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LEDE1
    [link] [comments]

    For a simple card game, how are different levels of difficulty programmed for the computer players?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 12:23 PM PDT

    I'm a self-taught programmer, so if there's something obvious I'm overlooking, you'll have to forgive me.

    I'm writing a card game that is played through a console window. For the sake of simplicity, let's consider that there is 1 human player and 3 computer players.

    I could just simply run a few conditional checks that dictate what the computer players do, which abide by the rules of the game, and just use an RNG on exactly which playable card to use. But I want more granularity than that.

    For the computer players, I want to assign their difficulty (dummy, competent, advanced).

    When it comes to differentiating between each players actions and their tendency to be either aggressive in their decisions or more passive, how would I integrate that into the computer players? How are decisions weighted and what dictates how choices are reached by the computer players? I would imagine a decision tree is used but I'm not familiar with anything in this particular area, so I don't know how to approach this or the correct terminology to research it.

    Tell me if this makes sense: assign an integer value to card objects with certain cards having a higher value than others (lower values for regular cards, higher values for cards that affect other players negatively). Each player difficulty has a numerical preference which is used to determine what card to play when there is more than 1 that is playable. I don't know enough on this to know if this is the best approach or if this even makes sense.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/WadeEffingWilson
    [link] [comments]

    New to AWS and feeling a bit overwhelmed. I need some advice.

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 11:54 AM PDT

    I created a platform and I was hosting everything on a VPS, now I have scaling issues and I'm looking into AWS services (for the first time in my life and I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed) and I need some advice. Basically how everything works is like this. I have a CPU intensive ffmpeg processes that creates and edits some video clips and stores them in various folders from where they can be accessed and streamed from the users. All the mp4 clips shouldn't use more than 200-400GB yearly.

    Now what I understood is I need an EC2 instance and a S3 volume to store the videos. But I'm afraid I will run in the same problem I run in my VPS, which is ffmpeg running in the background is pretty CPU intensive and can make everything unstable. Can I use different EC2 instances, one for running ffmpeg and one for running the rest of the code? Is the process of moving the newly created clips by ffmpeg to the S3 volume easy and fast?

    Thank you very much in advance!

    submitted by /u/iamreddy44
    [link] [comments]

    I need a second interpretation of my prof's homework instructions for using POST and manipulating URL to print username with a single .jsp page

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 11:44 AM PDT

    The instructions are:

    • Create a single jsp page with the following;
      • FileName = firstjsp.jsp
      • Jsp page to print username via POST
      • You may manipulate the URL to accomplish this task
      • "www.example.com/page.jspUserName=uname" (not a real link)
      • Once done this will show that tomcat has been install properly.

    (this is a direct copy and paste...)

    My confusion arises from "create a single jsp page". From my understanding you would need two documents in order to do this "via POST". Also, what he means by "...manipulate the URL to accomplish this task" is beyond me.

    I've emailed him 2 days ago, but he has not responded, and the homework is due today. Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/xXGiveMeLibertyXx
    [link] [comments]

    What language should I learn after JavaScript for Algorithmic problem solving ?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 10:19 AM PDT

    Hi,

    Currently, I'm learning JavaScript as my base language. I don't wanna jump into fully web development right now but want to continue my learning through making apps and websites.

    I want to start algorithmic problem-solving. Some senior programmers advice that if I can complete 300 - 500 problems that would increase my coding skill and problem-solving skill.

    So my question is,

    1. Should I've to switch C or any other C based language after JavaScript to start algorithmic problem solving or not?
    2. How much JavaScript I have to learn before switching another language?
    submitted by /u/Fardin_Shahriar
    [link] [comments]

    A self-checking quine?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 01:43 AM PDT

    Is there a quine which can check if it's output is actually it's source code? And I mean no cheating like output source; source_printed=True.

    submitted by /u/nctrd
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a specific tool to create sequence diagrams for an internship

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    I'm a little stuck on my internship project and thought I'd ask here.

    Essentially, my task is to take log data from a kibana database and create something that helps visualize the connections between different log messages.

    Right now, I have a Python/Flask webapp that queries the database based on search terms, but I'm not sure how to proceed with the visualization. Here's what I'm thinking:

    • I'm either going to make a UML sequence diagram or a directed graph with messages as edges.

    • The edges (not nodes) must be clickable to display the full message content. (Or there must be some other way to view the full message content since messages are very long. Another option would be having a click redirect to another page that displays the full message content)

    Does anyone know what tools I could use for this? I've looked at D3.js and Cytoscape.js but it doesn't look like there's an easy way to do what I want to do. Specifically, clickable edges to display message content looks like it's not a common feature in visualization frameworks. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/warm_sock
    [link] [comments]

    How can hacker news mobile apps load data so fast with their crappy api ?

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 07:54 AM PDT

    Recently I got into flutter development and I started by making some basic http requests to an API, there are no problems whatsoever, the API. I chose was Hacker New, and it turned out that it is bad designed (they admit it themselves so doesn't start asking "who the hell do you think yourself are judging their API").

    Let's assume you want to get the latest posts from their api, first you'd have to make a requests to get all the posts which is going to return an array of ids ?assuming this return 200), and then you have to make 200 single requests to get each post (which a lot, and efficient), if you want comments you have to do the same thing, make separate request to get each comment by its I'd .

    Now the question is how do apps on the play store manage to this in light speed, no loading indicators or anything that shows data is being loaded in the background, everything is loaded straight away. How do they manage to get it to work so smooth ?

    submitted by /u/konshensx
    [link] [comments]

    Javascript not running when combined together in a single page

    Posted: 23 Jun 2019 04:52 AM PDT

    Hi, for a school project, I created an app that is for tourists. The first page is a map, the second is a currency converter and the third page is a slideshow of popular tourist spots.

    I have 3 portions of js that are supposed to run, The first is the map, second is the currency calculator and the third is the slideshow. Initially, the slideshow was put into a script.js file and separated from the <script> portion, but it did not work. It only worked after combining the scripts together. At this stage, the map and currency converter still do not work.

    My codes are fine because I have tried only having one portion of the html and the relevant js into another file and it works fine, but when it is combined into the same .html file and <script>, the map and currency converter do not work.

    As the file contains images, it does not run in jsfiddle or codepen properly. I can send the file to anyone that can help in a .rar if needed.

    submitted by /u/EpicRayy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment