• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 19, 2019

    Here's Some Footage of My Retro PlayStation-Styled Graphics Asset Package (for Unity), PSXEffects

    Here's Some Footage of My Retro PlayStation-Styled Graphics Asset Package (for Unity), PSXEffects


    Here's Some Footage of My Retro PlayStation-Styled Graphics Asset Package (for Unity), PSXEffects

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 07:45 AM PDT

    Free LowPoly Animated Tanks

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 08:14 PM PDT

    Hey! As always, the packs are posted first on my twitter.

    Hope you like them and use them in any project! (If you use them send me screenshots! i'd love to see that)


    If you want all the packs in one file or specific models for your game i've made a Patreon!, and i would love if you could support me with a dollar there, it would mean a lot!

    Here's my website if you want to check it out, the packs are there too


    Preview

    Imported into Unity


    Includes:

    *4 Animated Tank models (FBX, OBJ and Blend formats)

    Download


    Past Weeks:


    Modular Dungeon

    Modular Trains

    Animated Alien

    Furniture

    Animated Women

    Animated Men

    Easy Enemies

    Buildings

    Animated Dinosaurs

    Car Pack

    Platformer Pack

    Animated Robot

    Farm Buildings

    Medieval Weapons

    Animated Monsters

    Posed Humans

    Animated Knight

    Farm Animals

    Sci fi guns

    Civilization Buildings

    Animated Fish

    Modular Street

    Ships

    Modular Dungeon

    Spaceships

    Animated Zombie

    Animated Woman

    Animated Man

    Furniture vol.2

    Buildings

    Animated Animals

    Medieval Assets

    Animated Guns

    RPG Assets

    Junk Food

    Nature textured vol.3

    Public Transport

    Airplanes

    Cars

    Nature

    Holiday pack

    Pirate pack

    Animated animals

    Furniture vol.2

    Snow Nature

    Bushes

    Clouds

    Spaceships

    Suburban Pack vol 2

    PowerUps

    Food

    Potions

    Desert

    Medieval Weapons

    Guns

    Space

    Furniture

    Cars

    Nature Vol.2

    Nature Vol.1

    Houses

    Trees


    License: CC0: Public domain, completely free to use in both personal and commercial projects (no credit required but appreciated).


    If you have any questions or problems tell me, i also have my Twitter DMs open! I'll gladly help as soon as i can. If you want you can follow me on Twitter.

    submitted by /u/QuaterniusDev
    [link] [comments]

    How did the Mario Kart 64 developers accomplish the jumbotron effect in Wario Stadium?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 09:43 PM PDT

    In the level there is a livefeed jumbotron that shows your character as you pass by. I've read elsewhere that mirror images in games used to be accomplished by just rendering the environment twice. Is something similar going on? Are they duplicating the camera, or is it something else?

    submitted by /u/Windows1798
    [link] [comments]

    Long time learner, first time developer. Is this idea too difficult for a first ever project?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 08:52 PM PDT

    So I'm brainstorming a game that I could try to make as a first time designer/programmer/artist and I wanted to know if this would be too hard of an idea to pull off as a first project

    The idea is a 2d or (3d top-down) game about a space ship that has to navigate through an asteroid field/spaceship graveyard using a short range teleporter.

    The mechanics of this would be that there is a real ship on one side of the screen and a "ghost" ship on the other. At any point, you can instantly teleport or swap positions with the ghost ship. The ghost ship passes through solid obstacles, but is damaged by heat and electricity, whereas the normal ship is damaged by solid objects, but immune to heat and electricity. You can move both ships simultaneously and you must use teleportation and movement to get as far as possible for a high score. Difficulty ramps as time goes on.

    submitted by /u/ButtsRLife
    [link] [comments]

    The creation of our dream fall level transition

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    how can i define minimal pc requirements for my game?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 01:08 AM PDT

    Hi Gamedev, I created some interstellar/space sound effects and you guys are more than welcome to use them free. They could also be used as eerie atmospheres or build-ups to a jump scare. They are free to download and use. Hope they are useful to you. :)

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    https://www.signaturesamples.co.uk/space-sounds-vol1-sound-effects-royalty-free-and-free-to-download

    There are some previews on the web page along with all other information.

    A collection of sounds that portray the lonely, empty feeling of space. Noises and tones that make the viewer feel a sense of loss and anguish. All royalty free and free to download.

    Hope you guys find them useful. :)

    submitted by /u/SignatureLabel
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a genre of music that tries to emulate the sound of early PC game music (like, early 90s, SoundBlaster era)?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    "Chiptune" or "8-bit" is not the sound I'm looking for, I'm looking for a sound more along the lines of things like these:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74T3bnYsaQ

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzg2vuqia0

    Or, does anyone know of any musicians which specialize in this sort of thing? I'm going to start working on a game emulating the style of early 90s shareware titles and I want to have that sort of sound as well. Most of the retro game-music musicians I know of focus on chiptune or emulating the sounds of old console hardware.

    submitted by /u/vagabond_
    [link] [comments]

    Avoiding finishing my game

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 07:44 AM PDT

    I've noticed some interesting behavior in myself recently. I've been working on my game for 3 months, and it's scheduled for release in a little over a month. The game is nearly complete. Polish, bug fixes and modifying a few weapons for balance are still required, but it's nearly a finished product. All that's necessary to have a complete game is to make the final level. I have it all planned out and it should only take me 2 days or so.

    I find myself coming up with excuses. Deciding that I need to fix other things first. Thinking that if I get that level done, I won't bother to fix the other issues. I'm assuming this is common behavior. I wanted to share my thoughts so that other devs could relate, or notice this behavior in themselves. I'm going to do my best to get the level done by the end of the week :)

    Good luck and happy game making everyone!

    submitted by /u/pickinganameis2hard
    [link] [comments]

    Postmortem of making a Kick Starter Retro PC Game

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 10:07 PM PDT

    The 8-bit guy posted a pretty detailed postmostem of the making of his retro pc game 8086 DOS based 'Planet X3'. From from the gamut of dev decisions, music, to the exhausting task of making custom game boxes.

    Here's his 42 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCx32lrBSNQ

    submitted by /u/msgs
    [link] [comments]

    WIP Wednesday #121

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    What is WIP Wednesday?

    Share your work-in-progress (WIP) prototype, feature, art, model or work-in-progress game here and get early feedback from, and give early feedback to, other game developers.

    RULES

    • Do promote good feedback and interesting posts, and upvote those who posted it! Also, don't forget to thank the people who took some of their time to write some feedback or encouraging words for you, even if you don't agree with what they said.
    • Do state what kind of feedback you want. We realise this may be hard, but please be as specific as possible so we can help each other best.
    • Do leave feedback to at least 2 other posts. It should be common courtesy, but just for the record: If you post your work and want feedback, give feedback to other people as well.
    • Do NOT post your completed work. This is for work-in-progress only, we want to support each other in early phases (It doesn't have to be pretty!).
    • Do NOT try to promote your game to game devs here, we are not your audience. You may include links to your game's website, social media or devblog for those who are interested, but don't push it; this is not for marketing purposes.

    Remember to use #WIPWednesday on social media for additional feedback and exposure!

    Note: Using url shorteners is discouraged as it may get you caught by Reddit's spam filter.

    All Previous WIP Wednesdays

    submitted by /u/purebotg
    [link] [comments]

    Custom DXR Maya renderer - Team Wisp

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 03:23 AM PDT

    Hi /r/gamedev!

    We're a team of 10 students working on an open-source real-time ray-tracing rendering framework. The source code can be found on GitHub under the Apache 2.0 license.

    Additionally, we're also working on a plug-in for Maya. It'll allow you to see the Arnold standard surface PBR materials in the viewport, as well as a ray-traced live preview of the scene (works best on RTX cards, but GTX1060 6GB and up will work as well).

    We'd love to know what you think of it!

    Our latest build can be found here:

    https://github.com/TeamWisp/WispForMaya/releases/tag/alpha-1-0

    It's still fairly experimental, but we'd love some feedback!

    Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or suggestions.

    Discord: https://discordapp.com/invite/KthSUvs

    Our Twitter (pretty pictures): https://twitter.com/wisprenderer

    Trailer (8 weeks ago): https://youtu.be/JsqF1jyyz2M

    submitted by /u/wisprenderer
    [link] [comments]

    Embark: 3 months into Early Access sales figures

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 10:28 AM PDT

    It's been almost 3 months since my last post on Embark. I've been meaning to post sales numbers since I've benefited from what others have shared, but haven't gotten around to it.

    Sales Numbers

    In the first week, Embark sold over 4000 copies on Steam. This is in addition to the 400 sold on itch.io before the Steam Early Access release. Thanks to Uncle Sam and Uncle Gabe, we'll be only seeing about half of the proceeds from those sales. Right now we're at 54k wishlists and around 8k in sales. Unfortunately, return rates have been high (almost 20%), QA has not been my strong point, and the game is more demanding than most graphically (voxels which have to be cut by Z level are expensive!).

    Marketing

    I have tried my hardest to follow the common advice, to try to market as much as possible during development. I even made a Unity asset to automatically post gifs to all our social media accounts. Apart from some exposure from our failed Kickstarter, as far as I can tell, my shitty marketing efforts have been close to useless. Compared to Steam, I am maybe responsible for maybe 1% of traffic to the Steam page.

    At the end of the day, the game was appealing enough to players that enough of them wishlisted/bought the game. Which led to whatever eldritch forces are behind Steam to decide to throw massive amounts of traffic towards the store page.

    This lead to a month of insane scrambling where I tried to fix the bugs which people encountered. I was crazy overconfident that my game was bug free before the huge influx of players proved that to be ridiculously wrong.

    Background

    When I started the game, I figured the only way around the issue of not getting noticed was to do one of three things. Either make a game with such amazing design that it stood out (games like Thomas was alone, undertale, etc.). Games with very appealing art. Or games which just required a lot of techical skill to pull off.

    At the risk of ending up in /r/iamverysmart, I think I'm rubbish at the first 2 options but do well at the third. As far as I can tell, I code quickly. This is the opposite of advice to start small, to start with something ridiculously ambitious which would do well if I kept at it simply because customers have no other options (mwahaha).

    Another idea I had was to keep overheads to a minimum. I don't require much money, so even if the game makes a couple hundred USD a month, it's enough for me to survive. I've contracted artists to do the art in the game, but otherwise have almost no costs. I would prefer to make much less being independent instead of making more working your standard corporate job.

    The game is developed in Unity, which I think has been an insanely good deal. Most of the game's logic is done outside of Unity and is fully multithreaded, yet the parts which do use Unity have been more than worthwile. I estimate that if not for Unity/C# I would have taken at least 4 times as long. Even then it has taken 4 years, 2 of which were full time.

    Going forward

    At least for the colony simulation genre, Early Access tends to be the default state for these games. I'm looking forward to many more sales as we get closer to the "greats" of the genre.

    Ask me anything, criticize, whatever! Oh, and the game is Embark, which I didn't want to include in the post, but I figure I might as well add since the bot has already scolded me for linking Thomas was alone.

    submitted by /u/iemfi
    [link] [comments]

    Getting feedback on a prototype

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    Hi,

    So I've been working on a little game idea and I have a very rough prototype (text based, on the command consol) I would like to test and get feedback on.

    So my question is where do you go for that? I know some websites offer services where they play test your game but you have to pay for that...

    Do you know any free website or community that could give me free valuable feedback?

    submitted by /u/Sagovik
    [link] [comments]

    Shiruken Battle Trainer - Gesture Based VR Combat

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 09:57 AM PDT

    So my buddies come over this past weekend to help me play test the game I'm developing. It's called Shiruken Battle Trainer. A single player training module for Shiruken Warriors, a multiplayer VR Brawler, where players are equipped with the power to control the elements. (Think Legend of Korra meets Street Fighter) Although I work full time for the Atlanta Braves, I've managed to squeeze in 1 year of development and the game is just starting to reach its potential.

    https://reddit.com/link/c2jjzz/video/m15py36xfc531/player

    Right now, I'm focused on developing the Gestures, AI, and Combat System for a solid single player experience. (Multiplayer comes later) The Locomotion System is called Ninja Run. An intuitive and nausea-free locomotion system that does not involve Teleporting or pointing the controller like a remote to move. If you've seen the "Ninja Run" from popular anime, like Naruto, then you already know how this works. Hold down both triggers and lean forward with your hands held back. The farther you lean the faster you will go. You are able to look around and still maintain your movement vector in the same direction. You simply need to move your body to steer. Turn your whole body or simply move your hands to travel in different directions. Ninja Run is just one part of the overall Gesture Based Combat System.

    https://reddit.com/link/c2jjzz/video/afq68pxyfc531/player

    Gestures are movements that the player can perform to execute locomotion and attacks during combat. Each attack is based on distance to enemy. If he's far away, use a Long Range Attack (Fireballs) and throw a 1-2 punch(or more) and get 'em before he gets to you. If there's a group of baddies closing in, use the Flame Thrower for a Mid Range Attack. If they all up in yo grill, squeeze and hold both grip controllers (Vive Wand/Knuckles), and go ham with Short Range Combustion Punches. And of course like any boxer or martial artist would, if you need to block, just cover your head or throw your fore arm up accordingly. Each element can block it's own. So Earth beats Fire in this fight.

    As mentioned, I've been working on this for over a year and I still have many additional features to add. My plan is to release a Free GitHub demo, for testing purposes, before I release it to the public. As an Indie developer, this game is very much a passion project, so I have to take my time and get it right. At the moment, this is slated for the HTC Vive / Valve Index, but hopefully I can port this to the Occulus Quest as well. I've haven't tried the headset yet, so I'm a lttle wary that Ninja Running will work. If you're interested in keeping tabs on this project you can follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, or check my Motion Design work here. Thanks for watching.

    submitted by /u/ahairgrow
    [link] [comments]

    Start with a large project, or work on many smaller ones?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2019 07:21 PM PDT

    I have a game in my mind i really want to make, but it has many hurdles to successfully making it. For example, a huge one is i want it to be a multiplayer game and i am under no illusions how hard multiplayer is. I have never made a game myself before, but understand how much hard work and commitment it would take.

    Should i:

    1 - Jump into this project immediately, breaking it up into many smaller tasks logically and learning how to do them one at a time as i implement them to tackle this large project over a long period of time

    or

    2 - Start off by making smaller games that are much more limited in scope to gain knowledge and experience, before moving into the larger project with a lot more experience from the get-go

    I'm open towards 2 if it is genuinely a better idea than 1. my passion is for this game in particular though which makes me lean towards 1 though

    submitted by /u/HonestPush3
    [link] [comments]

    Puzzles?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 07:07 AM PDT

    Are there any good resources to learn about designing puzzles for games?

    submitted by /u/jumbohiggins
    [link] [comments]

    Does this look like a continent?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:56 AM PDT

    Anybody need sprites?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    I can draw out sprites for any games from 64-bit downwards. Payment won't be needed for small projects.

    submitted by /u/ChefAntony
    [link] [comments]

    We made a fighting game and its super super hard!

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:25 AM PDT

    It was 2016 when we decided to create a fighting game, we are casual fighting game players and we never expected how super deep this genre is. Totally respect this genre to a whole new level now. The technicalities like frame data, balancing, hitboxes etc. is beyond 2 game characters throwing punches at each other. We redid the game several times before reaching this point and now we're at 25%, not there yet but we are happy on what we made so far and on our future developments.

    The game is made using Unity and UFE so we initially thought that since we are using an engine it should be easy right???.... oh no its not! The struggle is real my friends.

    From this

    Our game on its early days - I actually though that we can finish making a fighting game for like a few weeks when we made this one.

    To this - after 3 years

    Latest version of our game

    Cheers!

    submitted by /u/ranidaben
    [link] [comments]

    LF 2D graphic designer for Mars survival/Adventure game

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:13 AM PDT

    Graphic design work is taking me an abnormally long time.

    I am working on a survival/adventure game that takes place on Mars. If there are any graphic designers that might be interested in collaborating together and would like to know more about the concept, PM me!

    I am also open to paying someone for some graphic design help but would love to team up with someone and work on the project together.

    submitted by /u/MagneticSoup
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start with unity? I know python but not pygame

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:11 AM PDT

    I've never made a game before

    submitted by /u/Ceriio
    [link] [comments]

    What are your favourite features in games that have little to no impact on gameplay?

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 11:10 AM PDT

    For example in Black Desert Online when a player uses the hand waving emote the NPCs will wave back to the player.

    submitted by /u/ThePlebianKing
    [link] [comments]

    Great talk about "The Interface Between Music Composition and Game Design" by /u/winifredphillips

    Posted: 19 Jun 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment