• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 4, 2019

    Building the most inaccessible site possible with a perfect Lighthouse score web developers

    Building the most inaccessible site possible with a perfect Lighthouse score web developers


    Building the most inaccessible site possible with a perfect Lighthouse score

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:29 AM PDT

    Apologize if I'm asking the wrong place - does anyone know how this scroll-based fan animation is made? (Mac Pro web page)

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:21 AM PDT

    I always thought web development was so far out of reach for me

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:34 AM PDT

    I've been building websites for a looooong time. Back in the fourth grade I would walk to school, but instead of going to school I would just wait for my parents to leave so I could continue messing with html on my Expage site (which was against their ToS).

    As I grew up my parents didn't really think there was any merit to copying the source code of a video game cheat site so I could emulate it as something else. They pushed me to be better at other things like business and writing or video production. I wasted a lot of potential in college getting a communications degree with a concentration in advertising despite continuing to always have and make websites for myself and friends.

    As a result, my skills stayed somewhere between being able to decide php without writing it, understanding JavaScript without knowing it, and writing html and css only if a Bible to reference was in arms reach. I had many personal projects and it wasn't until I was jobless and out of resources completely that I threw them in a portfolio with a little abstract for each.

    As it turned out, those skills were worth something. There was front end work that had artistic roots other web develops liked. I was so good at cranking out simple and effective WordPress sites that I started getting attention to a point where friends were recommending me. After 9 months of jumping from housing to housing, opportunity to opportunity, my less-than-refined development skills netted me the attention of someone who saw a lot of potential.

    I've had a development job now for more time than I was broke and beaten. People ask me for advice, I still do some freelance on the side, and very genuinely I feel like I'm worth a damn with a business that respects me. Every day I'm challenged to find new ways to do things and for the first time in a long time I'm content with my career and the direction my life is going. I am not the best developer - I don't know everything, and it still seems like much of nothing.

    Just wanted to share this story with other people who may be stuck. Being a web developer doesn't always mean you're some Matrix-esque coder holed up in a man cave. I make decent money for someone my age and I work on projects I'm proud to brag about. Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/supergirlspanties
    [link] [comments]

    WebAssembly at eBay: A Real-World Use Case

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:04 AM PDT

    Best localhost server for MacOS?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 11:36 AM PDT

    I've recently bought myself a new MacBook Pro and I'm really enjoying it. At this point, I'm completely done with Windows.

    However, the one thing I really miss about Windows was the WAMP localhost server and now when I do a quick Google search, there is just so many.

    In your experience, which one provides more and is a overall better experience to work with? I'm developing a CMS at the moment and I'm in need of a new localhost server that can handle php7 and MySQL databases.

    Thanks y'all && happy coding!

    submitted by /u/Cazador23
    [link] [comments]

    How many hours do spend coding outside of work?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 07:43 AM PDT

    i try to get in a few hours a week but it can be a struggle to come home and code after a 9 hour day.

    submitted by /u/Mugen1220
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Underpaid? (UK)

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:47 PM PDT

    I'm disappointed by my salary and I'm curious to hear feedback, motivation and experience from others.

    TLDR:

    - Lives in a small city in England (similar population to Southampton)

    - Self taught fullstack VueJS & Laravel dev

    - Practising since 2016 but only has 1 year commercial experience, no degree

    - Earning £24k (9-5, flexitime, small team, relaxed open office with music)

    - Thoughts?

    Full Story:

    I am a self taught developer living in a small city in England. I'm passionate about learning and started teaching myself development with C# in 2016 . I am now also very familiar with PHP (Laravel, Vanilla), Javascript (VueJS, React, ES6, jQuery), HTML, CSS (Bootstrap, SASS) and SQL. It's difficult to say this without sounding overconfident or douche-y but I learn very quickly and relative to others with a similar level of experience, I'm good at what I do.

    My current role started 8 months ago on £20k. 4 months in, I had my job title changed from "Junior Web Developer" to just "Web Developer" after it became quite obvious to my employer that I wasn't at a junior level. This came with a raise to £24k. The role includes VueJS and Laravel development on new and existing client and SaaS projects, including client interaction by phone, email and web chat. My company is small (but very profitable) with only a handful of developers.

    My (only) previous role was as a Junior PHP Developer, lasting 3 months and paying £19k.

    Am I underpaid? A look online suggests to me that I should be on £30k - £40k?

    Isn't web development supposed to be a relatively well paying field? What's going on?

    submitted by /u/Braedv
    [link] [comments]

    Netlify Dev is magic.

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 06:58 AM PDT

    First they offer free hosting for personal sites...but they don't stop there! Enter netlify dev...to be able to see a live refresh of my site being built locally on any machine in the world is so cool to me. All for free. I used to use browser sync to do that kind of stuff, but go have everything contained in one single location with no outsourcing makes me so happy. Just thought I'd share a post right now while I'm still giddy haha

    submitted by /u/scotdle
    [link] [comments]

    I suppose this is relevant here - no more 3rd party cookies by default

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:41 PM PDT

    How Do You Come Up With Project Ideas?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:37 PM PDT

    I'm about to start a final probect for a bootcamp, and my best idea so far is to build a site where web developers (or anyone) can create a profile to showcase their work by uploading images, gifs, and descriptions of their projects. Kind of like a github the average person could understand. I feel like the idea is kind of half-baked though and will seem odd because I don't have a lot of work to add myself.

    The last project I made was a basic chat app using web sockets. I had some interest in expanding that, but it might be too restrictive. Any thoughts? Other ideas? I would appreciate them.

    submitted by /u/john_thom
    [link] [comments]

    Does Wordpress have a monopoly on straightforward content management systems?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 03:22 PM PDT

    I have to create a customised website for an architecture firm where they want to be able to upload news, pictures and projects they're working on. Standard stuff. I've used standard Wordpress before in these situations but it seems so clunky, old and stiff.

    This is just a side hustle for me I do whilst studying Comp Sci at University, and I'd like to use this to develop my skills in more modern and trendy code than vanilla PHP, HTML and CSS. There doesn't seem to be any real alternatives out there for a simple content management system that doesn't require massive maintenance.

    What options are there if you want to build a modern, lightweight, usable, free (or cheap) CMS? I use NodeJS and Python a lot in school or personal projects but I can't find any popular alternatives using these more common languages.

    I'm not averse to using Wordpress if there's a modern, relevant framework or solution to it.

    submitted by /u/CriticalImpress
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on learning full JavaScript stack?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    Hi everyone! I'm making the jump to become a web dev soon. I want to be a front end developer! I'm planning on doing a boot camp, and while I know that can be controversial within the dev community for a variety of reasons, I think it'll be the best option for me. In my city (Portland, Oregon) there aren't a ton of great options for boot camps. The best one I've found is Alchemy Code Lab. I've done my research, I've gone in and met the people and seen the space, and it genuinely seems like a great boot camp. It freaking better be for its price tag!

    My question is how do you all, as developers, feel about their curriculum being entirely JavaScript? They teach the MERN stack. I have a friend who is a developer who says he doesn't like that it's only JavaScript, but it seems to me that the extent of learning and the in-depth capabilities you get from this camp are more valuable than going to another camp that might teach more languages, but result in far less mastery.

    submitted by /u/KatKali
    [link] [comments]

    How much time from the basics of Python to Junior Python Django

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    Hello.

    I know the basics of Python, including object-oriented programming.

    I'd like to become a Junior Python developer and get a job.

    How long will it take to learn Django before the first simple project? Is it possible to become Junior Python Developer in 2 months?

    What should know Junior Python Developer?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Jonikster
    [link] [comments]

    Why we prefer CSS Custom Properties to SASS variables

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 05:41 AM PDT

    mgrt: Simple SQL migrations for SQLite, MySQL and PostgreSQL

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:24 PM PDT

    What do you think of consulting work?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    Looking for a new software developer job and got a few offers from companies. Two of them are from consulting companies, linkedin says less than 200 people for company A and company B is 15 people. I tried to see pros and cons. I know some people s aid you can sometimes get crappy projects and/or clients. It can also be hard to really get good at something cause you're always changing tech stack.

    As for career wise, I want to move out of programming eventually into architecting. I've done some in the past but also don't want to just be stuck in meetings all day and never code. Not sure if consulting will help with this or not. Overall, i just wanted to get some opinions from people who have worked consulting. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/adversedeviant
    [link] [comments]

    Local Link using React?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:20 PM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Very new developer here again. I am using React FE and Firebase BE to build a web application. I want to send my user to a "local link", but I have no idea what I am doing. I've done research, but I can't seem to understand how to fix this. I built using: npm react-create-app

    *<a href="index2.html"><button className="button-test">Go to local link</button></a> *

    Yes this will render my index2.html page, but it doesn't let me continue to develop using React. It just renders what is physically on my html page, not even the CSS file linked to it.

    Whereas my main application renders my main html page as well as my index.js, which does ReactDOM.Render(...) and of course all the important stuff.

    If instead I rendered,

    *<a href="/locallink"><button className="button-test">Go to local link</button></a> *

    For now, clicking that link doesn't do anything and everything is rendered as it normally would going to my homepage. I want this link to send me to a NEW local-link I built in React. How the hell would I do this?

    If I am asking my question poorly, please just let me know.

    submitted by /u/Smashtoblack1
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a free, open-source, slack-like module that I can integrate into my website?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    I'd like to allow members to start private conversations on my website, but I figured this must be a problem that's been solved a million times. I want it hosted in my website, not in someone else's. Any suggestions? Angular 7 preferred if possible.

    submitted by /u/aeslinger0
    [link] [comments]

    5 years after the spec was published, PointerEvents finally enabled in Safari 13 on iOS!

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 10:22 AM PDT

    JAVA EE or Python

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I wanna know which one do you prefer of those two, for backend developement.

    submitted by /u/MydroX
    [link] [comments]

    Freelancers, what's your go to framework when starting a new project?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:45 PM PDT

    I assume it depends on the complexity of the project itself, correct me if I am wrong, but do you stick with one framework for all projects and incorporate necessary add ons? Or does it just vary. I am an experienced programmer and looking to maybe do some freelance work on the side. Not sure where to focus my powers.

    submitted by /u/challenger_weats
    [link] [comments]

    How do you block people being able to access a web page via path?

    Posted: 04 Jun 2019 01:08 PM PDT

    Extremely noob question: If my website is example.com, and there is a file at example.com/passwordrestricted, how do I prevent people from just typing that into the URL bar, and requiring a direct link or something?

    EDIT: We're using a LAMP stack

    submitted by /u/Ninjinka
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment